Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Melon

Super slow on the ball, panicky when pressed, extremely limited when it comes to reading the game under pressure, which usually results in making wrong decisions. Will get roasted against top quality opposition, but is fairly useful, when we are pinned back and are in survival mode. A decent back up option to have, but a super expensive one for us.

Telsim

Dalot was but yet 14% still voted for Martinez who was the least eye catching of the back 4.
That is not true at all. Martinez was tasked with a lot more than Maguire. In addition to his defensive duties, he also had to work the ball more. Martinez has more touches, more total passes, more forward passes, and still manages 10% higher pass accuracy rating. You can see that in the pass network I posted. He did all of that while also doing his defensive work. Which is in line with what I saw throughout the match. Granted, Maguire did contribute slightly more defensively, particularly that clearance off the line. I'd say their overall contribution is about equal, but still in Martinez's favor.

Maguire's fee, the fact that he has been playing in the PL for years, and the captaincy will always invite more scrutiny. Which for the most part is justified. He just needs to do more, especially at progressing the ball with a lot more zest.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Feck sake. Maguires passing was sideways and backwards all game and he spent way to long on the ball.
Varane has been excellent every game this season bar when he got injured.
Maguire in the last 20 minutes was indeed excellent, and the style suited him. But he was a fish out of water in the first half when we played higher.
Overall I was happy with his performance but let's not compare him to Varane just yet.
Wasn't it his first start since August? The fact he didn't wilt and grew into the game is something and hopefully shows he has some fight in him. It's going to be a brutal long season and the full squad will be needed.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That is not true at all. Martinez was tasked with a lot more than Maguire. In addition to his defensive duties, he also had to work the ball more. Martinez has more touches, more total passes, more forward passes, and still manages 10% higher pass accuracy rating. You can see that in the pass network I posted. He did all of that while also doing his defensive work. Which is in line with what I saw throughout the match. Granted, Maguire did contribute slightly more defensively, particularly that clearance off the line. I'd say their overall contribution is about equal, but still in Martinez's favor.

Maguire's fee, the fact that he has been playing in the PL for years, and the captaincy will always invite more scrutiny. Which for the most part is justified. He just needs to do more, especially at progressing the ball with a lot more zest.
So we have you saying his contribution was about equal with Maguire, another poster saying Dalot and De Gea were leagues ahead for man of the match but yet Martinez gets 14% of the vote here. Thanks for proving my point, it's bias before a ball is even kicked (which is completely normal).

Telsim

So we have you saying his contribution was about equal with Maguire, another poster saying Dalot and De Gea were leagues ahead for man of the match but yet Martinez gets 14% of the vote here. Thanks for proving my point, it's bias before a ball is even kicked (which is completely normal).
Dalot and De Gea were leagues ahead of everyone else, which is reflected in the MOTM vote. And I did say Martinez does edge out Maguire in overall contribution. Also, there are a lot of people who appreciate Martinez's gung-ho attitude, which has undeniably had a positive effect in pretty much every game this season. It has nothing to do with Maguire himself.

You are desperately trying to bring down Martinez to prop up Maguire and prove there is some bias against Maguire. Which is bizarre, to say the least.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems Ten Hag has Lindelof 3rd. He was ill which is why Maguire was playing.
Managers tend to do so to push players out. The same is happening with AWB and what Ole did with VdB. Both players would get more games in Normal circumstances.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Dalot and De Gea were leagues ahead of everyone else, which is reflected in the MOTM vote. And I did say Martinez does edge out Maguire in overall contribution. Also, there are a lot of people who appreciate Martinez's gung-ho attitude, which has undeniably had a positive effect in pretty much every game this season. It has nothing to do with Maguire himself.

You are desperately trying to bring down Martinez to prop up Maguire and prove there is some bias against Maguire. Which is bizarre, to say the least.
I'm not desperately doing anything regarding Martinez or Maguire, you've done it for me. Even more so with this post.

Like you say, De Gea and Dalot were leagues ahead, but Martinez still got 14% votes. So explain why it's nonsense for me to say hypothetically Varane would have got a decent share after you said his performance was close?

Lyng

Wasn't it his first start since August? The fact he didn't wilt and grew into the game is something and hopefully shows he has some fight in him. It's going to be a brutal long season and the full squad will be needed.
Yes. Like I said in a reply further down, if he can accept his spot in the team as a bench player he can be a very valuable asset for us.

jeepers

Can you please enlighten us what was the big difference in their ball playing abilities? One of them has has couple of years and countless of games under the same coach the other has had about 3 months in which he was out with injury half of the time.

Also Lisandro also pinged a stupid pass and missed yesterday. The biggest difference to me is that one of them knows what is doing and what is expected of him the other one is new to this type of play and so devoid of confidence.
You’re jumping to conclusions.

Being good on the ball is a skill set, and passing is just one facet of that skill set.

I’ve not said (and have never said) that Maguire is not a good passer. He is a decent passer of the ball when he has time on the ball. However, saying that he’s good on the ball is pushing it. If you don’t know the definition of being good on the ball, google it or something.

I would like all of our players to do well, Maguire included. It’s not his fault the club paid so much for him. It’s not his fault he was identified as the solution to our defensive problems. It’s not his fault he was made captain. Those are down to incompetencies of the people running the club.

My post was directed to the extreme ends - the blind Maguire haters and the blind Maguire supporters. The first part of my post was to the haters - if they want him out so badly, they should really want and will him to do his best whenever he plays so ultimately if the club does sell him, it would at the best value possible. The latter part of my post was directed to the blind Maguire supporters. It is impossible to seriously claim that Maguire is good on the ball.

From your other posts on here, it seems like you’re tired of Maguire haters. I’m not one of them so I don’t think we have any issues unless you want it to be so.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah to be honest he just looked a bit nervy and rusty. He definitely got better as the game went on.

He had a game saving block on Bowen which people are struggling to give him credit for. He really is the new Pogba in the sense that people just can't help but hate him.

Foxbatt

His issue maybe be nothing much he can do about it. His foot movement is fairly slow. That could be the reason why he gets into trouble. When the ball is hung in the air, his strength comes into play. That's why he looked good at Leicester. He would be very good in a low block team when all he has to do is to defend.
He is not as half as bad as some make him out to be but he is not a top class defender who can play in a team who wants to play on the front foot.

Idxomer

He wasn't that slow on the ball at Hull and Leicester. He also used to be decent at driving with the ball forward which was probably his best attribute before his move to United. This basically vanished from his game during his time at the club.

Kostov

You’re jumping to conclusions.

Being good on the ball is a skill set, and passing is just one facet of that skill set.

I’ve not said (and have never said) that Maguire is not a good passer. He is a decent passer of the ball when he has time on the ball. However, saying that he’s good on the ball is pushing it. If you don’t know the definition of being good on the ball, google it or something.

I would like all of our players to do well, Maguire included. It’s not his fault the club paid so much for him. It’s not his fault he was identified as the solution to our defensive problems. It’s not his fault he was made captain. Those are down to incompetencies of the people running the club.

My post was directed to the extreme ends - the blind Maguire haters and the blind Maguire supporters. The first part of my post was to the haters - if they want him out so badly, they should really want and will him to do his best whenever he plays so ultimately if the club does sell him, it would at the best value possible. The latter part of my post was directed to the blind Maguire supporters. It is impossible to seriously claim that Maguire is good on the ball.

From your other posts on here, it seems like you’re tired of Maguire haters. I’m not one of them so I don’t think we have any issues unless you want it to be so.
I try to defend Maguire because he is scapegoated on here. And yes I think Maguire is pretty good on the ball actually. And yes I understand that passing is not its sole meaning of good with the ball. Maguire's main problem at this moment is confidence and it's evident how he plays on possession. We've seen plenty of him in his first season that shows he is actually quite decent on the ball.

Foxbatt

He wasn't that slow on the ball at Hull and Leicester. He also used to be decent at driving with the ball forward which was probably his best attribute before his move to United. This basically vanished from his game during his time at the club.
Driving forward with the ball is not the same as doing positive things with the ball. Yes he is good in moving forward. Then he makes one long pass to the wing. In other words he is a typical English Centre Half. Big and strong and slow who can compete with those big and strong English Centre Forwards.
Actually I feel that had he played against Haarland he might have done a better job.

Jippy

Staff
Yes. Like I said in a reply further down, if he can accept his spot in the team as a bench player he can be a very valuable asset for us.
Yep. Who knows what ETH has said behind closed doors, but it's painfully aware to everyone that he has slid down the pecking order. If he works hard, takes his opportunities and can get a reasonable move in the summer then hopefully everyone is happy.

Lyng

Yep. Who knows what ETH has said behind closed doors, but it's painfully aware to everyone that he has slid down the pecking order. If he works hard, takes his opportunities and can get a reasonable move in the summer then hopefully everyone is happy.
Did you see Maguire with Eriksen and Martinez after the final whistle? Its clear ETH has completely changed the dressing room culture and spirit. Like you I dont know what he has said behind closed doors but the effect is clear as day.

Jippy

Staff
Did you see Maguire with Eriksen and Martinez after the final whistle? Its clear ETH has completely changed the dressing room culture and spirit. Like you I dont know what he has said behind closed doors but the effect is clear as day.
I only saw the first half unfortunately, but yep, really is night and day this season and last. Another two transfer windows and we can finally have real optimism...hopefully.

Real Sociedad 0:1 Man Utd

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Won absolutely everything in two different leagues. An important player of arguably the greatest team of all time at club level and part of the most successful English team at national level. While he's never been in contention in talks about the greatests CBs, he still was a great defender with a trophy cabinet that even the best can only dream of.

God, I suddenly feel old.

Bobski

Fred playing channels for Maguire to run on to was not on my fantasies for tonight's match.

3KDré

Won absolutely everything in two different leagues. An important player of arguably the greatest team of all time at club level and part of the most successful English team at national level. While he's never been in contention in talks about the greatests CBs, he still was a great defender with a trophy cabinet that even the best can only dream of.

This isn't the Pique thread :lol:

Chief123

Him up front didn’t work. But ironically he didn’t look as bad at CF as he does at CB.

Chief123

I was thinking wtf?! Surely you’re trolling. Then realised it must be pique thread :lol:

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Writings on the wall for him.
This.

I don't see any way this guy can work his way into ETH team. Like Blackpool Tower turning on Butlins. Both close proximity, both shite, yet neither can save each other.

Butlins does a happy hour and free watered down shots, sends you to your room with ******* who works in the corner shop as a freelancer. Unbeknown it's actually fecking Harry Maguire in drag.

Questions need answering, as to who thought it would be a good idea to hire this twat tonight.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

:lol:

MUFC OK

Bringing him on up front in a game to desperately salvage top spot on our Europa league group, and failing. We are where we are. Good shift Harry.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Im more confident of the team winning with him in front rather than at the back.

RopersReturn

He’s improved his fitness and is working harder, however I don’t think he’ll be included in ETH’s long term plans so probably best for both parties if he finds another club soonish.

crossy1686

career ending
He'd be a great defender for a team that defends deep in their own box, he'd probably win everything. But once he gets dragged out wide or away from the 18 yard line he's in all kinds of trouble

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

He did win Super Mario and Luigi cosplay competition in an anime convention alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.