g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Fingers crossed. I think he's hopeless for us but do feel bad for him. He seems a decent enough bloke that's just lost all confidence. He's so poor at the mo though.
I'm not even sure it's confidence, he just can't do everything ETH wants a CB a to do, he's not built to do it.

To be fair, he's still decent at what he is good at, but playing in a ETH team makes him look very limited at times, and like you I feel a bit sorry for him now.

Villa, Newcastle, West Ham, or Everton, seem like logical options.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think there’s about 3 players in our squad who exude nervousness and chaos whenever they’re playing. It’s quite palpable and it radiates onto other players. I’d say honestly Maguire is the biggest culprit of it

Art

Art the artist
Slows the tempo down to a standstill by dawdling on the ball thereby inviting pressure onto the rest of the backline. The writing is on the wall for Harry and I think he knows it. A midtable club would do well fork out 30-35 million for him. He'd keep them up. Not the breed of player aiming to play for trophies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Let's hope. But feels like more he plays atm, more his price goes down.
Not sure I agree, the more he plays the more of what he's good at, against what he's bad at really stands out.

For all his crap, he still does stuff not many CB's at other than a few top clubs can do, and most of them don't play the way ETH wants to play.

BBer13

I think he could play for a team who play really low and that don't rely on him doing much with the ball. I had hopes after the world cup we would get a decent sum for him but the more i watch him, i worry most teams will go for a younger,better, cheaper option. The biggest issue i have with him is not just his speed, its how obvious all of his body movements are. Any decent player knows where he is going to pass, which way he is going to run way before he probably even knows. The one thing i used to like was his cross field passes but you can see them coming a mile off, he doesn't get the ball and play it. He gets the ball and sits with it for to long while the opposition organises.

BorisManUtd

I think there’s about 3 players in our squad who exude nervousness and chaos whenever they’re playing. It’s quite palpable and it radiates onto other players. I’d say honestly Maguire is the biggest culprit of it
Other 2?

Fluctuation0161

He can only sit deep and defend or play for a team that plays counter. He's shite on the ball and has no pace.

Really basic player who also makes other team members panic or puts them into tight situations eg passing back to De Gea at stupid times.

I would feel sorry for him, but the timing of what he did in Mykonos when club captain was beyond stupid.

pablo__p

Leaving United is going to be a win-win for everyone. He's basic and limited but in a team that sits deep and doesn't play from the back he can be a useful option.

I don't hate him. Seems a decent bloke. I'm not thrilled he's been our captain for obvious reasons, though.

Oranges038

There were periods in the first half where he was just stood there with the ball and 5/6 Leeds players just stood in front of him.

He's just way too fecking slow at everything.

NoPace

In the right team he'll look decent.

They'll be plenty of teams after him in the summer I reckon.
Agreed. He's still an upgrade for some Prem Teams and the same age as Carlos is now and he went for 26M to Villa last year. So 22-23M feels about right since Maguire is home-grown but a year older and on higher wages. He gets to start somewhere and we get enough money to buy a young replacement once you figure we save say 6-7M on wages, that should work out similar to what Chelsea paid for Badiashile (38M but probably 5-6M less a year on wages than Maguire).

Scholesgoals

Runs with a towel round his waist, controls the ball like a waiter with a silver platter in rough seas, passes like paul scholes without any legs

Robbie Boy

As juvenile as it may seem, I just can't stand the man. His decision making is jarring for someone who was entrusted with the captaincy.

His presence annoys me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The one name I see on the team sheet and genuinely get pissed off at.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Reading most of these posts are so sad. It almost feels as though people wanted us to lose and for it to be all Harry's fault. He was fine today. Some of his passing was a little loose (especially his long balls) and he had f**k up that he tracked back for and made the tackle. Other than that, he was good. Of course Varane and Martinez were better, but the only real chance Leeds had today was from a Luke Shaw giveaway. He was no where near MOTM but he was still a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Clean sheet and 3 points. He did better today than Varane did midweek. Fact...

Bondi77

His passing radar was off today and was holding on to the ball for too long but that was probably because of the options we have in midfield and I cannot blame him for that.
Kept a clean sheet in a hostile environment and came away with a win so we move on to the next game.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Reading most of these posts are so sad. It almost feels as though people wanted us to lose and for it to be all Harry's fault. He was fine today. Some of his passing was a little loose (especially his long balls) and he had f**k up that he tracked back for and made the tackle. Other than that, he was good. Of course Varane and Martinez were better, but the only real chance Leeds had today was from a Luke Shaw giveaway. He was no where near MOTM but he was still a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Clean sheet and 3 points. He did better today than Varane did midweek. Fact...
He was passing the ball straight to Leeds players for around 15-20 minutes once the 2nd half started constantly inviting pressure. Also, he was visibly nervous and it only got worse after the feck ups accumulated with him being shit scared of releasing the ball anywhere which was probably the reason why Martinez went in. But to give him some kind of break, putting him back on hot seat at Elland Road was always risky.

Still, calling that performance better than Varane's few days ago is nonsense.

DickDastardly

Can we please sell him already?
He's arguably the 5th choice CB, with Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Shaw all ahead of him.

Offers nothing.

Even his aerial capabilites are broken, yes, he does get to the ball, but even when nobody's fecking around him, his square head can't fecking get in on target to hit our player in the midfield.

I'm sure he's trying and all that, and it's not his fault to be fair - that square head is a fecking nuisance, i'm sure even he can't know where the ball is heading.

Pirlo'sBeard

Showed again today why he's 4th choice. Whilst he can't be faulted for effort, he's simply not good enough and will be rightly sold in the summer.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Buying him in hindsight was one of Ole's biggest crimes. I can't tolerate the abuse he gets because I feel that's only warranted for players whose attitude sucks and don't do their best. I feel like Harry does his best, the problem is it's just nowhere near good enough and he looks so error prone on the ball. Plus he does everything so fecking slowly and ponderously, it's just not anywhere near elite level is it?

foolsgold

Zero concerns with his work rate or attitude but he's basically a bomb waiting to go off, his passing out of defence set up a number of Leeds attacks.

It's only a matter of time before it costs us in a big match.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
State of the thread. Back to the real world, though. He was good today. He won a lot of headers. Clearly he’s not in the Varane world; he’s Harry. I admire him ; he’s a decent bloke, a good defender. He’s he has limitations. It must be tough for him. He spoke well today. The 12-year-old keyboard warriors from outer space who say insulting things only make themselves sound clownish. Having a jaded agenda against your own players makes you, not the player, look stupid. Said with kindness.

eire-red

I hate how he's the captain when he's not even first choice anymore, and there are clearly better options like Martinez, Varane or even De Gea/Rashford if Bruno also isn't playing.

It's like the weight of the armband clearly weighs him down even more because we're better without him and it's almost comical that he comes in and is the 'leader'. Even he looks self-conscious about it. Don't mean to come across as bashing, just my honest observation.

gregwar

He's off at the end of the season.

Not good enough and doesn't fit what ten Hag wants. He hasn't mouthed off at being dropped and he'll rebuild his career and do well somewhere else.

RopersReturn

Buying him in hindsight was one of Ole's biggest crimes. I can't tolerate the abuse he gets because I feel that's only warranted for players whose attitude sucks and don't do their best. I feel like Harry does his best, the problem is it's just nowhere near good enough and he looks so error prone on the ball. Plus he does everything so fecking slowly and ponderously, it's just not anywhere near elite level is it?
It wasn’t really Ole’s decision, he wanted to buy Koulibaly instead. It was Woodward who wanted him badly and keen to get a British player in after Matt Judge highly recommended him. But it was Ole’s idea to award him the captaincy, probably to motivate him after the colossal fee we shelled out on him and the rest is history.

Strelok

He was good today.
No he was not. I feel a bit for the guy because of his abuses and agree he's a decent CB but he was probably our worst player yesterday. He's so lucky his brainfarts didn't cost us the game. Imagine what if Leeds had scored from one of those.

What drove me crazy watching him is not the fact he's so fecking slooooow and cumbersome in everything he does but he keeps thinking he's Scholes reborn with those ridiculous long passes straight to opponent players under no pressure whatsoever.

Bondi77

Can we please sell him already?
He's arguably the 5th choice CB, with Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Shaw all ahead of him.

Offers nothing.

Even his aerial capabilites are broken, yes, he does get to the ball, but even when nobody's fecking around him, his square head can't fecking get in on target to hit our player in the midfield.

I'm sure he's trying and all that, and it's not his fault to be fair - that square head is a fecking nuisance, i'm sure even he can't know where the ball is heading.
He started and Lindelof was on the bench...arguably 5th choice ???
I think you need to give that big head a good shake!

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Actually it was more to do with planting weghorst at number 10 and using him as a target, that and pulling sabitzer and Fred back into 2 number 6 position and using the left back as a wide out ball rather than asking him to drop into the number 6 position. It was riskier because it meant we were scrapping for more second balls in the middle of the park than out wide but it worked.

The initial plan was to draw the Leeds press the hit diagonals to our wide forwards with support from the no 8's Fred and Bruno who were both tasked with getting close and supporting the wide forwards when we hit those balls.

Maguire's distribution wasn't very good today he didn't hit his straps with the long diagonals but he wasn't alone with that either and Leeds were dealing with it comfortably even when they did find there target.

Defensively though he had a pretty good game. Leeds put lots of balls in our box today he was normally there or thereabouts to deal with it.
He had 4 horrible giveaways that could have easily led to goals.

Varane was almost as bad last game.

Martinez showed them both they are both shite at passing while Martinez is one of the best.

Slab head's distribution "wasn't very good". According to you. You are wrong. It was horrendous amd could have cost us the game.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I caught the game with Argie commentary today and they started chatting about Maguire (in short, unsuitable for the tactics) but, in his defence, they mentioned stuff from their off the record chit chatting with Licha.

It was quite positive and unnecessarily so. Yeah sure, "one to one he is a fecking brick wall" you would expect, not tearing into him is a given... but he had also made more nuanced observations on his positive impact in the dressing room. It was good to hear and, in fairness, he hasn't thrown any tantrums after going from nailed on starter and captain to rotation CB.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I hate how he's the captain when he's not even first choice anymore, and there are clearly better options like Martinez, Varane or even De Gea/Rashford if Bruno also isn't playing.

It's like the weight of the armband clearly weighs him down even more because we're better without him and it's almost comical that he comes in and is the 'leader'. Even he looks self-conscious about it. Don't mean to come across as bashing, just my honest observation.
Yeah I think him not being made a captain will do more good than bad to himself.

Gums

It’s not like he’s drawing out any oppo players, either.
Yes, this was clearly instructed by their managers. It was obvious after they made their substitutions just before we scored. They let Maguire hold the ball but as soon as he passed sideways they pressed strongly. I’d be annoyed if it was the other way around and we were instructed not to press their most vulnerable defender.

I think he did a good job winning the first headers, but otherwise he just has too many mistakes in him and that reflects onto the players around him. I hope he finds a suitable club for next season, because otherwise he seems like a decent guy who’s under a ton of pressure. It’d be best for us and him.

SAFMUTD

He'll be definitely be gone in the summer. I don't think he sees himself as a rotation player and it's clear he won't be first choice for ten Hag.

It's better for everyone involved he doesn't suit the way we play under ten Hag at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.