g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Papers saying we're hoping to get £40m for him in the summer. Good luck lads, wouldn't want to be the guy that has to hear the hysterical laughing on the other end of the phone when they ask "how much?"

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It would be amazing if Tottenham moved for him and had a CB pairing of him and Dier.

But in all seriousness I see him going back to Leicester.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It would be amazing if Tottenham moved for him and had a CB pairing of him and Dier.

Leicester just signed Souttar who is a fairly similar player while being 5 years younger. He's impressed in early days so if that continues they certainly won't feel the need to bring the original version back. Certainly wouldn't be able to play them together unless you want what is quite likely the slowest centreback pairing of all time.

Chief123

Varane was at fault for the second goal. How many goals did Maguire cause? Also, Maguire's passing was 86% and he had more passes than anyone on the team. In fact, nobody even came close to him. Maguire had 127 passes. Dalot had the second most with 63.
Your desperate attempts to repeatedly try and bring Varane down to Maguire’s level is as comical as Maguire’s performances.

Tapori

Unironically he would suit Spurs play.
(Insert jokes of being a bottler fitting in)

As Conte's teams play on counters, as long as one of the 3 CBs is smarter, Maguire would fit in or it would give space and time for Maguire to hone and develop what is clearly some talent for passing forwards.

I called it along with others about Maguire's inability to THINK well at the highest level and it hasn't improved. He is of course a good solid defender but for the highest teams in a highline/dynamic back 4 he is more of a liability with his plodding thoughts on the ball, lack of crisp passing regularly and his Chucklevision moments.
Chris Smalling was always the better defender and the misplaced faith in Maguire adapting to a higher dynamic backline in a back 4, cost Ole his job.

I will always support him as I do all of our players but Maguire is now seeing what actual meritocracy looks like. What I am baffled by is the complete blanket obfuscation/excuses of his calamities. If he was called Harold Miguel and was from Portugal, he would have been crucified by the British Press. He has immense media management. and I would love to have his agency finding me a job.

Tapori

Your desperate attempts to repeatedly try and bring Varane down to Maguire’s level is as comical as Maguire’s performances.
At this stage SadleMUFC must have some personal connection to Maguire; As many have asked before, what would Harry Maguire have to do for him to admit he isn't the most elite defender for our first 11 regularly?

GlasgowCeltic

Just be happy he’s finally stopped passive aggressively incorrectly spelling his name as “Verane”

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His performance against Leeds was nothing to write home about. He was his usual self - dawdling on the ball, slowing the game down, getting closed down and losing possession in dangerous areas, leaving opposition players free in the box while marking no one, giving the ball away to the opponents with erratic passing, not good enough to progress our play from the back.

Yeah, he amazingly proved you right that he was good enough for us!!

Your original statement was he received 129 passes when someone said his passing was awful. A CB receiving the ball and not doing anything useful with it and putting the team under pressure is what's clear from that stat. You talked about his team mates passing to him more often as if that somehow justifies how shit his on the ball game was (and then somehow twisting it to say people expect him to assist when no one said anything remotely like that). Talk about lame and agenda.
I said he made 127 passes after having 139 touches. In order to make 139 touches (almost 60 more than the player witht he 2nd most touches) he has to be receiving the ball from his teammates. So if Maguire was so bad, why did they keep giving him the ball? And I never said he was MOTM or anything like that. Just that he had a good game. A solid 6 or 7 out of 10. But the way people act it's like we tied Leeds 2-2 at home and it was all Maguire's fault. Oh wait...that was the game he didn't play

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not trying to pile on here, but that’s a bad comparison to make, considering Maguire also had 0 key passes despite having so many touches.
It isn't. It actually proves my point. The guy I was talking to complained because Maguire's 86% passing rate wasn't good enough and he didn't do anything special with the ball like Martinez did. All i did was prove that Martinez didn't do anything special with it either as claimed

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Wrong again...I have no problem with Varane. I think he's a great player and he should be starting ahead of Maguire. I just don't like it when our "fans" go out of their way to put down our own players. I am merely pointing out that if Maguire had played like Varane did midweek that TheCaf would be going into meltdown. Instead, Maguire captained the team to a clean sheet and 3 points and people are still going off on him. They are literally looking for reasons to hate on him

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I said he made 127 passes after having 139 touches. In order to make 139 touches (almost 60 more than the player witht he 2nd most touches) he has to be receiving the ball from his teammates. So if Maguire was so bad, why did they keep giving him the ball? And I never said he was MOTM or anything like that. Just that he had a good game. A solid 6 or 7 out of 10. But the way people act it's like we tied Leeds 2-2 at home and it was all Maguire's fault. Oh wait...that was the game he didn't play
Because Leeds left our centre backs to have the ball? All we did was cycle it side to side but rarely forwards. Did you even watch the game?

Having many touches isn't a sign of having a good game.

NK86

Yeah, imagine the players passing the ball to a teammate who is under no pressure. Unheard of crime!
What were they supposed to do, ask him to leave the field and play with 10?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I genuinely don't understand how you could watch that game and not conclude that Maguire was a huge factor in our lack of penetration and composure for much of the match. Leeds allowed him time to receive the ball, knowing he'd be vulnerable and ineffective with it, that's the reason he had so many touches. Not because he was positioning himself well or being an integral part of our build-up. He's a liability.
Was Maguire in effective with it, or were the players he passed it to? He passed the ball 127 times. More than anyone else. And he did so with 86% passing efficiency. But you want to blame Maguire because his teammates kept giving him the ball

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You're kidding right?
Right?!

That 34' minute brain fart by yours dearest Harry doesn't count?

The one where Harrison takes the ball from him while he does his standard 16 second tanker manouver to try that signature back pass to DDG?

Then proceeds to run at snail speed and thankfully catches Harrison and we don't concede a dumb fecking goal.

But yeah, let's praise him for that, he didn't follow up with another brainfart and he managed not the give away a pen in the process.

Have you ever played football?
You know that one player? The one nobody marks because they know he'll just run out of play with the ball, or trip and fall over it without anyone around him?

Yep, that's old Harry right there.

The reason he has 197 or 250 passes or whatever is because (!) everybody knows he'll feck it up!!!

If the opposition plays a low block and counter attacking football, they will let Harry have as much of the ball as he wants.

If they play a high press, HE is the pressure trigger!

How can you not see that?!

Every other coach in the fecking league sees that!
Yes, Maguire made a mistake, which he then made up for by catching his man, then putting the tackle in, won the ball, then passed it off to restart our attack. In the end, he made up for what he did wrong. Isn't that what we want to ask of our players? But go on....dwell on that initial play because that's what fits your agenda

DickDastardly

Was Maguire in effective with it, or were the players he passed it to? He passed the ball 127 times. More than anyone else. And he did so with 86% passing efficiency. But you want to blame Maguire because his teammates kept giving him the ball
Wow!

127 times you say! With 86% efficiency?
That's remarkable.

Does that brainfart on which Harrison almost scored in the 34' count in that 14%?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why is every crticism labelled an agenda?

It was a clear plan for Leeds to force the ball towards him because they knew he'd do feck all with it and it worked. He doesn't operate with any speed so by the time he actually is ready to pass his options are severely limited.

You might think 85% passing accuracy is a good job, but those passes went no where. That's the point, the difference between his ponderous approach to passing out and Martinez in the second half was night and day.
So you think that during the week the Leeds interim manager used his game time preparation to concentrate on how to play against a guy who rarely starts? Now I've heard it all :lol: :lol: :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It isn't. It actually proves my point. The guy I was talking to complained because Maguire's 86% passing rate wasn't good enough and he didn't do anything special with the ball like Martinez did. All i did was prove that Martinez didn't do anything special with it either as claimed
Spot the main difference.

DickDastardly

Yes, Maguire made a mistake, which he then made up for by catching his man, then putting the tackle in, won the ball, then passed it off to restart our attack. In the end, he made up for what he did wrong. Isn't that what we want to ask of our players? But go on....dwell on that initial play because that's what fits your agenda
Yes. He made a mistake.

A mistake that leads to a goal.
He does that every single game he plays.

He was lucky Harrison fumbled that chance, just like Bruno fumbled our chance when the Leeds defender did the same thing.

Should we praise him for the recovery? God no, the recovery itself was as slow as you can be.
It was horrible.

Dwell on that?
Of course i'm gonna dwell on that when you say he had a great game and "didn't make a mistake the whole game bla bla bla".

One of the reasons he's on the ball so much is because instead of moving it quickly he dallies around and then finally plays the ball he should have played ten seconds ago and the receiver of that pass (often full backs) have no real option but to just pass it back to him. That's if he doesn't take so long that he's either dispossessed or forced into an error. Not much effective about his stray long passes either.

People (him especially) need to forget the idea that he's good on the ball.

Chief123

Wrong again...I have no problem with Varane. I think he's a great player and he should be starting ahead of Maguire. I just don't like it when our "fans" go out of their way to put down our own players. I am merely pointing out that if Maguire had played like Varane did midweek that TheCaf would be going into meltdown. Instead, Maguire captained the team to a clean sheet and 3 points and people are still going off on him. They are literally looking for reasons to hate on him
Fans aren’t that stupid or vindictive that they will hate on one of our own players for no reason. You’ve always been stuck with this narrative thinking people just hate him on a personal level. Which leads to you defending him irrationally.

The truth is Varane and Maguire are totally different levels of ability and quality. The reason Maguire gets blasted is because he consistently does stupid things, makes mistakes or gets exposed for his weaknesses. Even if Varane had an absolute shocking game, he wouldn’t get the same hate because he doesn’t do it consistently. It’s abnormal for him to have a bad game. But it’s become normal for Maguire to make mistakes or cause chaos in our team. He just isn’t good enough.

Yes fans can be excessive in their criticism but Maguire never does anything to get the fans back on side and that’s largely because hes incapable and doesn’t have the ability to.

Tony247

@GifLord please can you post a clip of that 88th min incident in United box? Just watch Harry. Reason why he gives me nervous breakdown.

Chief123

@GifLord please can you post a clip of that 88th min incident in United box? Just watch Harry. Reason why he gives me nervous breakdown.
I don’t know which incident you are talking about but I’m pretty certain it’s Harry looking around frantically to see where he dropped his contact lense!

Tony247

I don’t know which incident you are talking about but I’m pretty certain it’s Harry looking around frantically to see where he dropped his contact lense!
First he tried to pin down a leeds player while a shot was taken. Hit his hand I guess. They appealed for handball. Meanwhile, harry lost the vision of the ball. He turned full 360 degree to find where it is. While he was at it another leeds player shot the ball. Was going in but took a deflection off United player. Another Leeds corner.

Chief123

First he tried to pin down a leeds player while a shot was taken. Hit his hand I guess. They appealed for handball. Meanwhile, harry lost the vision of the ball. He turned full 360 degree to find where it is. While he was at it another leeds player shot the ball. Was going in but took a deflection off United player. Another Leeds corner.
It was classic Maguire. He honestly gives me anxiety when I watch Utd. When it’s Varane and Martinez I’m comfortable even when it’s just them 2 at the back and everyone else has bombed forward. Maguire makes me tense all game.

Chief123

Seriously flawed stats.

A big reason is because Maguire only gets chosen when we are playing weaker teams. He’s kept well away from the difficult bigger games wherever possible.

Maguire would have made zero positive difference to our losses at Man City and Arsenal. He would have made it worse.

Oranges038

So you think that during the week the Leeds interim manager used his game time preparation to concentrate on how to play against a guy who rarely starts? Now I've heard it all :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was pretty much common knowledge he was going to be playing Sunday.

It was a fairly simple game plan to instill. When they have the ball press so that it goes to Maguire, let him have it and watch the magic happen.

Tony247

It was classic Maguire. He honestly gives me anxiety when I watch Utd. When it’s Varane and Martinez I’m comfortable even when it’s just them 2 at the back and everyone else has bombed forward. Maguire makes me tense all game.
Same here. Don't care how others try to justify him but when he plays it becomes health hazard for me.

DickDastardly

It was a fairly simple game plan to instill. When they have the ball press so that it goes to Maguire, let him have it and watch the magic happen.
Nouuu!!

Now i've heard it all!!
Pressing triggers and traps?!

From a team formerly coached by Bielsa? Never in a million years would i think that the Leeds players would deliberately leave Harry with the ball!
Our Harry?!

Lies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Yes, because if there's one thing ETH is known for it's his squad rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.