Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was criminal for the first goal, I am surprised not many people are mentioning it. Phil Jones/Bailly esque.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Got to agree with this. Was much more impressed with his passing today than I usually am but just didn’t seem to be at it on defence.
He’s just a bit of a nothing defender. Even if you counted last year as an anomoly, he’s never had a game that you could point to him as a difference maker. Teams with him in it concede, and then people argue over who’s fault it is and we start the whole cycle over. Not to mention he’s a captain who instill 0 confidence in others as a leader.

Roux

Danny Welbeck will never have it easier. Absolutely destroyed Maguire today.

Roboc7

Like so many players the system doesn’t suit him, won’t be long and we’ll be parking the bus again so likes of Maguire have chance of being competent.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Worst player Ole signed. Worst captain ive ever had the misfortune of watching.

Send him back to Leicester and pay THEM ANOTHER £40m to take Fofana.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Players break the offside trap all the time. He wasn't the issue today. The issue was coward players not trying passes and playing it safe or not even attempting anything.

Red Star One

Predictable passing, breaking the offside line, bad positioning, offering little offensively - 4.5/10 performance from him and some are anyhow satisfied. He was as much part of a problem as other, worse today today, players

BarstoolProphet

His weaknesses are so obvious that Brighton targeted them from the get go. Slow and cumbersome but ok at blocking shots. This is what 80m gives you.

kundalini

Maguire being a complete disaster in this system is hardly a surprise. He can't run fast enough to get back to mark players when the opposition attacks, as we saw in the first half.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One of our better players today, which isn't an achievement.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
6/10 performance from him today so him and Erikson are fighting it out for our MOTM. How standards are dropping.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I knew he was going to be directly involve in causing us at least a goal and so it proved.

A smart defender Should have push up in so doing keeping Welbeck offside, but he stood while Martinez had pushed high.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why is Maguire so slow starting the initial pass forward and moving the ball? He's always stayed on the ball far longer than required which often lead to opponents cutting forward passing lanes which were previously there.

It's something that annoys me more than his defensive feck ups. He's not only slow reacting in defense or chasing back but he's also slow moving the ball.

Bwuk

It’s beyond stupid playing him ahead of Varane.

No other side in world football would.

Mmm-Qatarian

Harry Maguire getting the blame for problems caused by the midfield and goalkeeper. Same old.

Neither him nor Martinez were particularly poor today. If we keep blaming the centre halfs for problems that are blatantly caused elsewhere on the pitch then we'll keep being the absolute clown show that we currently are.

Based Adnan

Shocking for the first goal. He caused the entire defence to shift over to cover his mistake leaving Brighton with a free man at the back post.

Red-17

Harry Maguire getting the blame for problems caused by the midfield and goalkeeper. Same old.

Neither him nor Martinez were particularly poor today. If we keep blaming the centre halfs for problems that are blatantly caused elsewhere on the pitch then we'll keep being the absolute clown show that we currently are.
Genuinely think I watched a different game today. Brighton pretty much did all of their damage from midfield, with Welbeck beating the offside line the only time they seriously threatened behind the line. How people think central defense is still our main issue is baffling. Never mind the fact our two center backs were probably our best passers today apart from Eriksen.

Amarsdd

Shocking for the first goal. He caused the entire defence to shift over to cover his mistake leaving Brighton with a free man at the back post.
I don't think that's the fault. If a player makes a diagonal run behind one CB, then its the other CB who should be tracking that runner as Martinez does. Maguire's fault probably can be his decision to cover the cut-back pass instead of covering the cross across the keeper.

CloneMC16

I thought he played well and was one of only a couple of our players to do so. Surprised at a lot of the negativity. I thought him and Martinez were mostly solid. We had major problems in other areas of the pitch.

Sounds of the Aquarium

Thought he was OK. A better game from him.
With a piss poor Central midfield in front of him and awful fullbacks to the side he is always going to be put under pressure by their cock ups. He just always becomes the scape goat as he is normally the last man involved. Normally out of position and on the wrong foot.
Stick him in a better team and you would see there is a half decent player there.

Drz

I don't think that's the fault. If a player makes a diagonal run behind one CB, then its the other CB who should be tracking that runner as Martinez does. Maguire's fault probably can be his decision to cover the cut-back pass instead of covering the cross across the keeper.
I feel we are nit-picking a bit. When you look at the nature of our goals, it seems a collective issue. It's just too f****** easy for the opposition and always comes as a sucker-punch (besides to the defeats to the top teams last season).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought he played well and was one of only a couple of our players to do so. Surprised at a lot of the negativity. I thought him and Martinez were mostly solid. We had major problems in other areas of the pitch.
I’m not surprised. He’s one of the biggest scapegoats in the team. Actually played very well today and didn’t really put a foot wrong. It’s a well timed run from Welbeck and as the poster above mentioned it’s the job of the second CB to come across and track the run. Not surprised to see the usual suspects fail to understand the CB position.

criticalanalysis

I’m not surprised. He’s one of the biggest scapegoats in the team. Actually played very well today and didn’t really put a foot wrong. It’s a well timed run from Welbeck and as the poster above mentioned it’s the job of the second CB to come across and track the run. Not surprised to see the usual suspects fail to understand the CB position.
Agree but still thought he could have done better with the second goal. Playing Welbeck onside wasn't an issue but his lack of anticipation and urgency to track, sprint to get back into the penalty box was a bit lacksidical. However, other than that he was quite good. Passing on point and especially in the 2nd half, he made a lot of first time interceptions, blocks and passed the ball very well.

The midfield in front of him wasn't good and that caused a lot of problems.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He could be Ferdinand and Vidic combined in his defensive skills, but his lack of pace will never fit in this defensive system. Either EtH completely changes his philosophy and we sit deep and play on the counter, or Varane and Bailly start ahead of him.
Slow players can play in a high line. Dias isn’t fast and neither is Laporte. Koeman was barely faster than a snail yet he achieved enormous success in a high line (covered by Guardiola who was barely an athletic freak himself).

Pace is not necessarily the issue of it’s compensated by anticipation and reading of the game. The biggest issue Maguire has is his lack of football/defensive intelligence, which just makes his lack of pace and agility even more visible.

Just look at the first goal. I’m not even going to talk about a defensive line, a concept that he seemingly struggles to understand — it was a great move by Welbeck. But look at what he does next — a smart defender wouldn’t switch off, he would try and cover one of the other runners. Maguire sees that he’s beaten and decides to walk towards the goal like nothing is going on.

lsd

The Oracle

:lol: I just decided to come in and see how long I would have to go to see someone say he never put a foot wrong and it was two posts.

It's amazing what his defenders see in his games as no matter what happens you will get people saying he never put a foot wrong. Apparently he has literally never put a foot wrong in a match.

Yes it goes both ways and he gets blamed by others no matter what bit it's still hilarious to me.

He wasn't the worst today at the back which is not saying very much he just isn't good enough to play the way we need but that's the story for others too

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He cannot play in a high line, either Ten Hag needs to drop back and play on the counter or drop him, a good passing display but all over the place defensively, clearly at fault for the 1st goal.
How in the feck is he "clearly at fault for the first goal"? We were holding a high line just like you want. When you hold a high line there is the risk of a striker making a offisde trap breaking run just like Welbeck did. But the run that Welbeck made was across Martinez, not across Maguire. So Martinez needs to track him. Maguire may have been the player to marginally keep him onside, but when a striker makes that run the guy he runs across has to drop with him. If not, then you can't blame the central defender for holding a high line when that's the kind of defense you want. You are completely contradicting yourself when you blame Maguire for doing exactly what you want our defense to do!?!?!?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How is he at fault for the first? As I saw it Welbeck was very clever in occupying the space between the two centre backs in the game but on the goal he's on Maguire's blind side whilst Martinez can see him. Welbeck's starting position was closer to Martinez. The player that can see him needs to take responsibility in that situation no?
You are absolutely correct. But if Maguire is on the field theCaf will look for reasons to blame him

Robbie Boy

:lol: I just decided to come in and see how long I would have to go to see someone say he never put a foot wrong and it was two posts.

It's amazing what his defenders see in his games as no matter what happens you will get people saying he never put a foot wrong. Apparently he has literally never put a foot wrong in a match.

Yes it goes both ways and he gets blamed by others no matter what bit it's still hilarious to me.

He wasn't the worst today at the back which is not saying very much he just isn't good enough to play the way we need but that's the story for others too
Yup.

crossy1686

career ending
You are absolutely correct. But if Maguire is on the field theCaf will look for reasons to blame him
It’s not that, it’s that he’s absolutely done as a United player and captain in the eyes of most United fans, there’s no coming back for him now. He would have to have a whole season of massive performances to redeem himself, he’s not alone however, there’s a few players that will never recover and need to leave to rebuild their reputation and career.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
How in the feck is he "clearly at fault for the first goal"? We were holding a high line just like you want. When you hold a high line there is the risk of a striker making a offisde trap breaking run just like Welbeck did. But the run that Welbeck made was across Martinez, not across Maguire. So Martinez needs to track him. Maguire may have been the player to marginally keep him onside, but when a striker makes that run the guy he runs across has to drop with him. If not, then you can't blame the central defender for holding a high line when that's the kind of defense you want. You are completely contradicting yourself when you blame Maguire for doing exactly what you want our defense to do!?!?!?
The point of holding a high line is to keep forwards offside for a potential run in behind. If a forward makes such a run, you didn't do it correctly. Although as I've mentioned earlier my main issue is his behaviour after he got done by Welbeck, you simply can't switch off in this situation and Maguire does, quite regularly.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I knew he was going to be directly involve in causing us at least a goal and so it proved.

A smart defender Should have push up in so doing keeping Welbeck offside, but he stood while Martinez had pushed high.
You have got to be kidding. The ABSOLUTE WORST thing you can do as a defender is to start moving forward to try and force an offside. Maguire was fine in his positioning. What really should have happened is that Martinez should have recognized the run and picked up Welback and Danny ran across him, not Harry. I am so glad that TheCaf doesn't coach our team and I certainly hope most of you aren't coaching kids because most of you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and just look to scapegoat players you have agendas against rather than looking at the actual play

Lynty

He was criminal for the first goal, I am surprised not many people are mentioning it. Phil Jones/Bailly esque.
Agreed

Why step up? Back pedal and buy time. Was caught in the middle of nowhere.

But having a real DM would protect the two centre backs from such scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.