Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

People blaming Maguire for the first goal are so fecking daft. If he were significantly behind the defensive line then you could fairly say he's at fault for playing Welbeck onside but that isn't the case. In that instance, Welbeck simply times his run to perfection. If you're going to blame a centre back for the first goal, it has to be Licha; he is the one who can see Welbeck's run and he track it quite well enough to prevent the cross in the end. (To be clear, though, I don't think either centre half is primarily at fault for that goal)

Ironically, I'd say in blaming Maguire for the first goal, people are missing out on the fact that he was more culpable for the second one. In that case, he actually steps out of the defensive line to close down a player when he should be leaving it to Licha. He then compounds this error by failing to get tight enough to his man (Lallana I think?) in the box.

Overall, though, the Brighton defeat was not really on the centre backs. Both of them struggled with the long ball to Welbeck but generally carried out their defensive duties well enough and (particularly in Licha's case) were quite effective at progressing the ball. This match was the perfect demonstration of the problems that a midfield incapable of controlling the game and a goalkeeper who essentially refuses to sweep causes the defence.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Played ok but he's just an accident waiting to happen. Never has a United player filled me with so little confidence any time he has the ball. How people think he's United material never mind club captain is beyond me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Played ok but he's just an accident waiting to happen. Never has a United player filled me with so little confidence any time he has the ball. How people think he's United material never mind club captain is beyond me.
Who should be captain?

Red4Life_#7

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Psychology, this is more damning than the fun video appears. The players are losing confidence in him, De Gea is visibily annoyed and vocal, you don't show this kind of disrespect for your captain if you respect him.

People blaming Maguire for the first goal are so fecking daft. If he were significantly behind the defensive line then you could fairly say he's at fault for playing Welbeck onside but that isn't the case. In that instance, Welbeck simply times his run to perfection. If you're going to blame a centre back for the first goal, it has to be Licha; he is the one who can see Welbeck's run and he track it quite well enough to prevent the cross in the end. (To be clear, though, I don't think either centre half is primarily at fault for that goal)

Ironically, I'd say in blaming Maguire for the first goal, people are missing out on the fact that he was more culpable for the second one. In that case, he actually steps out of the defensive line to close down a player when he should be leaving it to Licha. He then compounds this error by failing to get tight enough to his man (Lallana I think?) in the box.

Overall, though, the Brighton defeat was not really on the centre backs. Both of them struggled with the long ball to Welbeck but generally carried out their defensive duties well enough and (particularly in Licha's case) were quite effective at progressing the ball. This match was the perfect demonstration of the problems that a midfield incapable of controlling the game and a goalkeeper who essentially refuses to sweep causes the defence.
He definitely contributed to it but it was on more than one occasion for the first goal is what I would say is the reason he deserves blame for it. Firstly, McTominay is at fault for losing the ball, then there is a pass to Welbeck and who is kept onside by Maguire. Fair enough, that happens in games and it is a mistake but I wouldn't blame him for that part of it. It is the second action that he takes. He jogs back (no sprinting) and keeps looking around. He even stops at one point in the box when the pass is made across the 6-yard line. Then when the goal is scored he puts his hand up. He shouldn't let the linesman be the one to make the final decision. He should be sprinting for his life to stop the threat after making a mistake by not looking and following the line of defence.

All in all, the whole game outcome is not only on the CBs. McFred kept on losing the ball and it was a domino effect from there. If Martinez had of been bought before pre-season then maybe Maguire and him would have been on a better wavelength. It's unfortunate to be starting the season alongside someone for the first time, but that is on Murtough in my view leaving it late to negotiate deals.

Red4Life_#7

Exactly. I'm worried when he receives the ball at the back, when he takes 3-4 touches the opposition close all angles for him to pass to. Then he gets himself in trouble or goes back to De Gea. Teams have his number now.

Chief123

O'Hara often talks a lot of bollocks, but what he says here at the beginning of the clip is exactly my thoughts of Maguire. I'm not here to bash him irrationally for every goal we concede. I already have my views on him which I've expressed that I do not think he's good enough for Utd. I know there is a minority of gladiators here who will defend him till their death. I respect your opinions, but will always disagree with them. I have seen every minute of football since Maguire has been at the club. He's had some good games, I'll give him that. But over a long period of time, he just isn't good enough for me.

O'Hara mentions exactly how I felt on the weekend. Maguire actually did "ok" and that's it. But every single time he came up against a one v one or a player attacking his zone, my levels of anxiety shoot through the roof. I've seen nothing to give me confidence to suggest he'll be able to consistently perform at a high level in this particular system. I appreciate he would do well in very specific setups, but the one ETH wants to adopt is certainly not it. I hear the arguments about legends gone by who weren't the quickest and played in a high line. Maguire is no legend and nowhere near their level. Legends who lacked pace and played in high lines had an amazing reading of the game. Maguire does not have a good reading of the game in my eyes. It's not neccesarily just the fact he's slow. It's other factors such as reaction time and awareness of what's around you. Anyway, he had a terrible season last season and I personally believe he will have just as bad season this year, if not worse simply because the system will not suit him at all.

I'm not here to debate with those who love and defend him because no one will convince me he can be a success in what style of football we want to achieve. A few paragraphs defending him will not change the eye test of having watched every minute of his Utd career.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Who should be captain?
That's not the point. Just because the club doesn't have any players of captain material doesn't make Maguire one which is a major issue for a club our size. We have no leaders on the pitch and Maguire certainly isn't one.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's not the point. Just because the club doesn't have any players of captain material doesn't make Maguire one which is a major issue for a club our size. We have no leaders on the pitch and Maguire certainly isn't one.
Do you not think the manager needs to understand who he can make captain before just arbitrarily changing it?

romufc

Psychology, this is more damning than the fun video appears. The players are losing confidence in him, De Gea is visibily annoyed and vocal, you don't show this kind of disrespect for your captain if you respect him.
Wow you must be a behaviour expert to know DDG was angry and annoyed. They normally used to stand on that side, ETH changed the dug outs.

Maybe the club need to hire you because you seem to know more than the manager.

Chief123

Agreed. It shouldn’t even be a question of whether Maguire should be the captain. I don’t even believe he should be starting but that’s a whole separate point.

We aren’t littered with options but De Gea would be captain ahead of Maguire for me.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Do you not think the manager needs to understand who he can make captain before just arbitrarily changing it?
ETH has one hell of a job on his hands. He's inherited a squad with absolutely no natural leaders. Having Maguire as captain shows just how big a job he really has. Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Playing him and leaving him as a captain is crazy stuff by ETH. He is liability and not a leader.

JB7

Agreed. It shouldn’t even be a question of whether Maguire should be the captain. I don’t even believe he should be starting but that’s a whole separate point.

We aren’t littered with options but De Gea would be captain ahead of Maguire for me.
De Gea is no more of a captain than Amad ffs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea is the best captain material in club at this moment. And leaks from last season were saying that he is the one who has respect from all players. Which is the thing what is the most important.
People here think that captain's job is to yell and scream on players and talk with the ref. :rolleyes:

Chief123

Silly response. Like I said we don't have great options. But when I believe Maguire shouldn't even be a starter for us, De Gea is the next in the pecking order for me.

Chief123

De Gea is the best captain material in club at this moment. And leaks from last season were saying that he is the one who has respect from all players. Which is the thing what is the most important.
People here think that captain's job is to yell and scream on players and talk with the ref. :rolleyes:
He's also the only player we have who knows how to win the premier league.

Cassidy

Maybe Ten Hag doesn't see much difference in DDG and Maguire being captain...
Maybe DDG isn't even going to be here past this season...

Chief123

Maybe Ten Hag doesn't see much difference in DDG and Maguire being captain...
Maybe DDG isn't even going to be here past this season...
Neither will Maguire. If ETH gets backed, Maguire will not be in Utd's starting lineup next season.

Cassidy

Neither will Maguire. If ETH gets backed, Maguire will not be in Utd's starting lineup next season.
The point being why bother changing the captain to someone you don't want next season? Might as well change it when you idenfiy the person who is your long term captain no?
You don't change the captain to appease fans.

JB7

Silly response. Like I said we don't have great options. But when I believe Maguire shouldn't even be a starter for us, De Gea is the next in the pecking order for me.
He's not a captain. No one expects the captain to be shouting but there is a difference between not yelling at people and being a mute on the pitch who's only expression is occasionally throwing your arms up in the air. A captain does need to attempt to organise and communicate with those around him, both of which De Gea does not do and in fairness Maguire does. I'm in agreement that Maguire is not a perfect choice as captain, and also that he wouldn't be in the team if Varane could stay fit for 5 minutes, but the reality is that of the players who were here last season, he is still the best candidate, which says a lot more about the other players than it does Maguire.

There are also the other obvious factors being that De Gea is out of contract in the summer, is quite clearly not the profile of goalkeeper that the manager looks for and has been utterly abysmal since the manager has been at the club, being badly at fault for two goals in pre season and both goals on Sunday.

Chief123

This question was answered when ETH said Maguire will retain captaincy because he was good and achieved so much.
ETH is also clever enough to know he has to work with what he's got. He might feel Maguire is his best option for whatever various reasons out of what he has remaining. That doesn't mean he's happy with him going forward. We were never going to buy 2 centre backs this summer when we have so much else to repair.

tomaldinho1

This question was answered when ETH said Maguire will retain captaincy because he was good and achieved so much.
He actually framed it a bit differently.

Of course, I have to get to know all the players and it takes time. But he is an established captain for a few years and he has achieved a lot of success, so I don't doubt about this issue.
Sounds very much to me like a diplomatic answer, he doesn't know much about the players but Maguire can stay as captain for now. I actually agree, not because I rate Maguire but because we have no leaders in the team whatsoever. ETH looks stronger giving it to a player he knows will perform and start every week and the only candidates we have are DDG, who I can't see starting next season, Bruno, form down the pan, and maybe he would have considered Ronaldo as well but that's obviously dead.

Mmm-Qatarian

Removing Maguire as captain isn't suddenly going to make Fred and McTominay extremely capable midfielders on the ball, nor is it going to make De Gea start coming off of his line. If you took anything more from that tunnel video than "Oh, that's kind of funny" then you're reading too far into it.

romufc

Wow never knew the Caf had so many better managers than the qualified ones.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Removing Maguire as captain isn't suddenly going to make Fred and McTominay extremely capable midfielders on the ball, nor is it going to make De Gea start coming off of his line. If you took anything more from that tunnel video than "Oh, that's kind of funny" then you're reading too far into it.
Removing Maguire as Captain is a start - then we can remove him from the team - then remove him from the club.

Not good enough and we were royally robbed paying 80mill for that level of player

criticalanalysis

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNp7feQG/?k=1

Don't think DeGea thinks much of our captain.
If only De Gea had that energy and attitude when shot stopping, claiming crosses, leaving the 6 yard box, passing when any opposition remotely presses in his vicinity etc etc...

Probably easier to give attitude to the meme-d defender of your club, who is basically vilified and massively scapegoated as the major reason of our defensive frailties, whilst your own performance is inexplicably swept under the rug by the media and even our own fans. Every corner, standing still on the line whilst screaming 'away', what an easy job.

Ok, went into bit of a tirade there and took things out of context but still.

Lyng

If only De Gea had that energy and attitude when shot stopping, claiming crosses, leaving the 6 yard box, passing when any opposition remotely presses in his vicinity etc etc...

Probably easier to give attitude to the meme-d defender of your club, who is basically vilified and massively scapegoated as the major reason of our defensive frailties, whilst your own performance is inexplicably swept under the rug by the media and even our own fans. Every corner, standing still on the line whilst screaming 'away', what an easy job.

Ok, went into bit of a tirade there and took things out of context but still.
De Gea gets called out by our own fans alot. Heck you even have fans who think Maguire will magically turn into prime Maldini if we swap out De Gea.
Both arent good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.