Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rules are rules. I mean, let's not pretend Tom Heaton is our current number 2 for any other reason than his nationality. I'm fairly certain the same logic applies to Jones.
As said no club should keep a 50m rated player simply because of nationality especially someone who simply doesn't fit the system which means that his price will keep plummeting. I'd say we should still sell him and then we should add players the likes of Garner to the mix.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Interesting how you ignored the Ronaldo being dropped point and elected to have a go at Maguire instead.

Redcafe :p

I'm happy to continue with Varane + Martinez at the heart of our defence. They have a lot to offer as a partnership moving forward, but they'll need to rest from time to time to prevent burnout and remain free from injury. And Maguire, an internationally recognized footballer with tonnes of PL experience, can provide that rest by stepping in when needed.

He's useful for the physical sides too. Liverpool likes to keep it on the deck which plays to Varane and Martinez's strengths, but we won't be playing them every week. It's good to have options we can call on when necessary.
Oh, I am a massive Ronaldo fan, but I would be quite happy to see him gone before the window closes! No arguments there at all.

I just don’t agree that Maguire is an asset at United in this phase, after such a downturn in form and reputation. He needs the move as much as the club does.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Rightly so. Don't get me wrong, we will definitely need him when the opposition bombards with long balls but for now, he should start on bench.

TheGame

His confidence is gone and he has become a meme. How does it benefit him to stay here and continue to be Captain? He needs to move on for the good of his career.

Shaw has had far more poor games for United than he has had great ones since he arrived. He has constantly been unfit and looked overweight a lot of the time

It’s not “utter nonsense” just because you disagree with it. The manager has decided, by the looks of things.

It is only a job. There players will get other contracts elsewhere. It’s this sentimentality that holds the club back and means that we keep players who are ill-fitted and don’t have the required quality for way, way too long.

Calm down, people are allowed to disagree with you on what’s good for the club.
Both players had a poor last season but have been fine before that. The manager has decided to keep them in their squad and clearly said players will be used in the season due to the amount of games. If he didn’t want them, he would have sold them. He loaned out Bailly and Telles instead. Much to the disappointment of people on here I’m sure.

Calling players embarrassing because you seem to have a personal hatred of them is pathetic.

Last edited:

TOKUGAWA-X

Maguire will play an important role this season, some fans will be surprised when ETH makes him play the way he wants.

Varane is unreliable and thats when Harry will take his chance and be a great starter many of us think he can be.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was always the likeliest scenario that he would get dropped. He doesn't fit Martinez as well as Varane does as a partner, and no sane person would rate Maguire over Varane, his reputation is much smaller, etc. The only thing that gave him a chance was the existing captains armband, but as of now he's essentially locked in as 3rd choice. He'll get his games due to injuries and Varanes fitness (hope he stays fit), but for me the bigger question is who is 3rd choice between Maguire and Lindelof rather than who is the starter. Theres a big chasm between the starting 2 and the backups.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Bloody hell, classic Caf. Maybe let Varane and Martinez have a few games together before we even start talking about some kind of established (or successful/long term) partnership.

FerociousCorgis

Bloody hell, classic Caf. Maybe let Varane and Martinez have a few games together before we even start talking about some kind of established (or successful/long term) partnership.
For me it is really more of just being done with maguire overall. Never really rated him, and anytime i watch him i am utterly and completely underwhelmed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I would say with some certainty that ten Hag is more likely to persevere with those two and let them have growing pains than he will be to switch back because the potential in the partnership is greater and considerably more malleable - the manager outlined all the qualities he’s looking for yesterday and they don’t apply to Maguire. If we take his own words, it was actually a very damning statement in relation to Maguire.

Outside of injury, it’ll take a really catastrophic run of performances for them to be broken up now, I would bet.

Chief123

Seems to be some momentum around Maguire to Chelsea. Really hope this happens!

Apparently Leicester are refusing to budge on Fofana which means chelsea may turn to Maguire. It would be so enjoyable watching Maguire in a team which isn't us!

united_99

I would say with some certainty that ten Hag is more likely to persevere with those two and let them have growing pains than he will be to switch back because the potential in the partnership is greater and considerably more malleable - the manager outlined all the qualities he’s looking for yesterday and they don’t apply to Maguire. If we take his own words, it was actually a very damning statement in relation to Maguire.

Outside of injury, it’ll take a really catastrophic run of performances for them to be broken up now, I would bet.
Let’s see. Nothing is guaranteed at United based on the last decade. I will believe stuff only once I see it. But each to their own. I haven’t seen much of Martinez so I will base my opinion on what I see of him with us in the coming weeks and months.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Let’s see. Nothing is guaranteed at United based on the last decade. I will believe stuff only once I see it. But each to their own. I haven’t seen much of Martinez so I will base my opinion on what I see of him with us in the coming weeks and months.
Martinez is the manager’s personal choice; he’ll be given time to get a feel for the league and experience any growing pains that emerge along the way - it’s a role next to him that’s up for grabs, which leaves Maguire to duke it out with Varane. Varane offers pace, mobility, decisiveness, leadership and experience, which were all the qualities ten Hag made sure to wax lyrical about yesterday. Honestly, the most likely obstacle for Varane is his own body holding out.

The other side of the coin - which is a really harsh one for Maguire - is that he is under massive pressure to perform if he does get his shot. He’s already mentally fragile and visibly an anxious figure out there, so I don’t know how well he’ll react to even more pressure heaped on his shoulders.

united_99

Martinez is the manager’s personal choice; he’ll be given time to get a feel for the league and experience any growing pains that emerge along the way - it’s a role next to him that’s up for grabs, which leaves Maguire to duke it out with Varane. Varane offers pace, mobility, decisiveness, leadership and experience, which were all the qualities ten Hag made sure to wax lyrical about yesterday. Honestly, the most likely obstacle for Varane is his own body holding out.

The other side of the coin - which is a really harsh one for Maguire - is that he is under massive pressure to perform if he does get his shot. He’s already mentally fragile and visibly an anxious figure out there, so I don’t know how well he’ll react to even more pressure heaped on his shoulders.
All well and good that he is ETH’s choice but that doesn’t automatically mean he will always play. He was already substituted once at HT after all.
I am just not one of those who gets overly excited by a couple of good results or loses all hope after a couple of bad results.

I want to see first how this pairing actually performs with ETH’s possession and playing from the back football which we actually didn’t play yesterday.
And despite being a boring topic by now I also want to see how Martinez (and others) cope when other teams will target him due to his height.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
All well and good that he is ETH’s choice but that doesn’t automatically mean he will always play. He was already substituted once at HT after all.
I am just not one of those who gets overly excited by a couple of good results or loses all hope after a couple of bad results.

I want to see first how this pairing actually performs with ETH’s possession and playing from the back football which we actually didn’t play yesterday.
And despite being a boring topic by now I also want to see how Martinez (and others) cope when other teams will target him due to his height.
It’s perfectly reasonable to not get sucked into the hype, or even be swayed by a good game or two, not disputing that. The problem is that fundamentally, these two are what the manager wants in his players and beyond even their ability, the intangibles like: leadership, experience, assertiveness and decisiveness are all heavily tilted in their favour.

There’s something else to mention, that I’ve not seen anyone speak about yet, is that in terms of communication, our whole central core all speak the same language now - that is a massive advantage for Varane aside from anything else written in posts to you. Casemiro and Martinez, both being new to the league, will have a beacon for expedited assimilation into this wholly new environment via Varane - all 3 of them, plus the keeper can instantaneously get their messages across to one another, and in Varane’s case, out to outfield team-mates. It’s like a full house of obstacles for Maguire, really.

RedDevilRoshi

Seems to be some momentum around Maguire to Chelsea. Really hope this happens!

Apparently Leicester are refusing to budge on Fofana which means chelsea may turn to Maguire. It would be so enjoyable watching Maguire in a team which isn't us!
With Bailly already set to sign for Marseille, I can’t see Maguire going anywhere.

I just hope Varane stays injury free.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Both players had a poor last season but have been fine before that. The manager has decided to keep them in their squad and clearly said players will be used in the season due to the amount of games. If he didn’t want them, he would have sold them. He loaned out Bailly and Telles instead. Much to the disappointment of people on here I’m sure.

Calling players embarrassing because you seem to have a personal hatred of them is pathetic.
Its not personal. Type Harry Maguire into google or YouTube and have a look for yourself.

He has been embarrassed by mass opinion. I am not judging it one way another but the last 18 months have been a complete humiliation for him, whether you want to believe that or not.

He, and the club, desperately need a new start. He doesn’t fit with what the manager wants to do, and is on his lowest ebb as a footballer.

He has been embarrassed and his confidence is shot. There is only one solution. Bringing him off the bench as a squad player won’t bring his confidence back. It’s over.

united_99

It’s perfectly reasonable to not get sucked into the hype, or even be swayed by a good game or two, not disputing that. The problem is that fundamentally, these two are what the manager wants in his players and beyond even their ability, the intangibles like: leadership, experience, assertiveness and decisiveness are all heavily tilted in their favour.

There’s something else to mention, that I’ve not seen anyone speak about yet, is that in terms of communication, our whole central core all speak the same language now - that is a massive advantage for Varane aside from anything else written in posts to you. Casemiro and Martinez, both being new to the league, will have a beacon for expedited assimilation into this wholly new environment via Varane - all 3 of them, plus the keeper can instantaneously get their messages across to one another, and in Varane’s case, out to outfield team-mates. It’s like a full house of obstacles for Maguire, really.
Yeah and they also have black hair unlike Maguire … I’ll leave this conversation now. Don’t take it as a sign that you may have convinced me or anything :angel:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

If we're honest, there has never been a competition between Maguire and Varane. Maguire isn't a patch on Varane. As you say, Varane only has fitness that holds him back but he is a miles better defender.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If we're honest, there has never been a competition between Maguire and Varane. Maguire isn't a patch on Varane. As you say, Varane only has fitness that holds him back but he is a miles better defender.
Maguire and Varane are worlds apart in terms of ability, no doubting that. The problem, as you point out, is whether Varane can maintain his fitness levels for more than a few games. If the latter stages of his spell at Real and last season are anything to go by, then the answer is likely a no. Happy to be proven wrong here, of course, as a Varane + Martinez partnership has buckets of potential on the evidence of last night.

As for the 3rd choice CB, it has to be Maguire for me.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah and they also have black hair unlike Maguire … I’ll leave this conversation now. Don’t take it as a sign that you may have convinced me or anything :angel:
Communication is a really important and a common denominator through our core now, which would be an issue for Maguire at least initially, or do you not think so?

Objectively speaking, there are just so many obstacles.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree wholeheartedly.

I think the manager really outlined what he wants back there with his comments when asked, and I don’t know if I’d want to be sticking around as a rotation option waiting for an injury to get playing time - especially in a World Cup year - if I were in Maguire’s shoes. Especially so with the extra added pressure to then perform if/when given a shot. Whatever I think of him, it would show some stones to stick around if the option to go elsewhere and not have all this stress heaped upon him is there.

Based Adnan

Should be 4th choice CB behind Varane, Martinez & Lindelof

Bizarre why we wouldn't negotiate with Chelsea and then spend the funds on a cheaper back up that actually fits how we want to play

TheGame

Its not personal. Type Harry Maguire into google or YouTube and have a look for yourself.

He has been embarrassed by mass opinion. I am not judging it one way another but the last 18 months have been a complete humiliation for him, whether you want to believe that or not.

He, and the club, desperately need a new start. He doesn’t fit with what the manager wants to do, and is on his lowest ebb as a footballer.

He has been embarrassed and his confidence is shot. There is only one solution. Bringing him off the bench as a squad player won’t bring his confidence back. It’s over.
Well we will differ on a lot what you said. The bottom line is the manager thinks different and until that changes, he will be here.

The1974s

Of course it's all about opinion that is fine, however some opinions are worth something others are pure crap. If your opinion is that by dropping Maguire we will magically step up our performances of our attack, midfield and defensive line I'd personally not take it serious. Unfortunately some people can't get past Maguire when we have much bigger issues.

So he was dropped and we banged out the most impressive performance in a long time . Magically you said, its not magic its just common sense but don't you take that serious either . Don't bother replying because I can't take it serious ..

Kostov

So he was dropped and we banged out the most impressive performance in a long time . Magically you said, its not magic its just common sense but don't you take that serious either . Don't bother replying because I can't take it serious ..
You are so petty and childish I guess you are 12. Yes, only because we dropped Maguire we won against Liverpool. A game in which we had 30% possession 11 shots against our goal. Yes a trademark of how we should have been playing and all that thanks to Maguire being dropped.

Pronewbie

Peep
The fact the team against Liverpool were more geed up and played with a team spirit not seen in a long while without him in it is rather telling. And if so, what’s the point of having him play just because he’s the captain? I think ETH has managed this transition well and let the failures play themselves out of the team. The next step is to sell them before they turn toxic - because we know how awful this bunch are when they don’t get their way.

Lyng

You are so petty and childish I guess you are 12. Yes, only because we dropped Maguire we won against Liverpool. A game in which we had 30% possession 11 shots against our goal. Yes a trademark of how we should have been playing and all that thanks to Maguire being dropped.
We dropped Maguire and Shaw and looked much stronger defensively.
Despite having less possession we where constantly aggressive and our line was higher than what we usually where with Ole.
Maguire is erratic and all over the place and we would not have been as solid with him on the field.
We where, very clearly, playing instructed patterns. Something both him and Shaw have struggled with often.

Kostov

We dropped Maguire and Shaw and looked much stronger defensively.
Despite having less possession we where constantly aggressive and our line was higher than what we usually where with Ole.
Maguire is erratic and all over the place and we would not have been as solid with him on the field.
We where, very clearly, playing instructed patterns. Something both him and Shaw have struggled with often.
We looked much more aggressive and stronger in defense I agree. Varane and Martinez were great, so was Malacia and even Dalot played very good IMO. McT, Eriksen and Bruno also ran their socks off, and McT especially had a very good game, something you can't say about any of our midfielder up till now. Yeah there was more to it than just dropping those 2, and that is my point. The whole team ran more, played with more desire and aggression. People also need to remember than we just about scrapped through and we have had false dawns before, don't pretend it was some dominant master plan game and we can't easily produce a shit game in 4 days time.

There were many factors that contributed to the win, dropping Maguire and Shaw was one of them, so was dropping Fred and Ronaldo, but imo it was more to do with the players who were on the pitch and not because who were not on it.

Gurtej

With Baily going on loan, we will be very short if Maquire goes now (despite how bad he is)… we only have Lindelof…

But but but…. If Chelsea is stupid enough to pay 50m for him…. Just sell him and buy a decent backup option for half the price….. anyone can’t be worse than HM

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I'll put money those stats would have looked even worst if Maguire was on that pitch, dropping him increase our chances of winning and that is facts.

Maguire has been performing poorly for quite some time, you don't need stats to confirm that, the eye test alone is okay to know that.

If we can sell him for a reasonable enough price, i think we need to let him go and look to improve on the future rather than try patch it, if we are to be honest it's been an awful marriage.

Onerealunited

Would it make sense to loan him out for half a year to Chelsea. I think he can really do well in a 3 man defence with Kante in front of him. If he does, then they or someone else would definitely be willing to pay us a large amount for him

Kostov

I'll put money those stats would have looked even worst if Maguire was on that pitch, dropping him increase our chances of winning and that is facts.

Maguire has been performing poorly for quite some time, you don't need stats to confirm that, the eye test alone is okay to know that.

If we can sell him for a reasonable enough price, i think we need to let him go and look to improve on the future rather than try patch it, if we are to be honest it's been an awful marriage.
Lots of players have perfrormed poorly for even longer than that. Some got dropped on Monday, one of them is McT and he had a good game. All I am saying is to be a bit more patient and let's see if we manage to string 5 good games first before jumping into see it was always about Maguire. Because it never is about one player.

Newtonius

Why do you think they wanted to keep him? Would rather risk Lindelof and Tuanzebe at least there is technical ability/physical presence. It might have been okay for him to be 3rd or 4th choice if he wasn't captain you can't keep someone like that on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.