Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailo

At the time people were talking like he was the second coming of Beckenbauer with his ball playing skills, but he's not better than Smalling in any way shape or form. Biggest robbery ever and Smalling was ousted for this guy. Far better defender and offensive header than this laughing stock. Woodward and Ole - well fecking done!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Look at all these nobodies in here commenting just for the clicks.

England had the win until Pope ruined it, Maguire did enough!

redshaw

His Foden impression high up the pitch cost us that second goal. Just no need for that type of play from a guy who's so slow and cumbersome right now

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maguire is far better on the ball
The problem is that he's doing it soooooo slow
Maguires a very very good passer of the ball, one of the best in the epl. It's just he takes 5 touches and has to get his pencil and notebook out to work out the trajectory beforehand. Pretty sure snipers take less time.

Problem with Maguire is he needs pace around him like a Walker and he loses the ball in stupid places, has major airhead, brainfart issues.

Theres career montages of his errors from just one season.

I really hoped he turned it around but at this stage I wouldn't mind a better squad player brought in, I think doing that would mean losing the passing ability he has though. Issue is if the balls not in the air and it's at his feet he's just clumsy and gets done for pace too.

Jericho

Maguires a very very good passer of the ball, one of the best in the epl. It's just he takes 5 touches and has to get his pencil and notebook out to work out the trajectory beforehand. Pretty sure snipers take less time.

Problem with Maguire is he needs pace around him like a Walker and he loses the ball in stupid places, has major airhead, brainfart issues.

Theres career montages of his errors from just one season.

I really hoped he turned it around but at this stage I wouldn't mind a better squad player brought in, I think doing that would mean losing the passing ability he has though. Issue is if the balls not in the air and it's at his feet he's just clumsy and gets done for pace too.
The thing is I've seen this mentioned a lot but how does pace around him compensate for his lack of pace? He's had pace around him, he still gets exposed for his own lack of pace.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Look at all these nobodies in here commenting just for the clicks.

England had the win until Pope ruined it, Maguire did enough!
Maguire was responsible for both of the first 2 goals

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The thing is I've seen this mentioned a lot but how does pace around him compensate for his lack of pace? He's had pace around him, he still gets exposed for his own lack of pace.
If you have a really quick fullback his side it gives them chance to recover (if he's not brainfarting penalties for example).

The same way when you have a 34-35 year old defender you usually have a quick player to help with recoveries.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You said that for clicks.
The clicks, this isn't the daily mail.

Maguire fouled the player for a penalty for the first goal, and lost the ball high up the pitch for the second.

Are you Maguire?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Another game he started without a win... I feel like after today he's surely lost his England place too. Especially another 2 months of being on the bench at United.

AlPistacho

Let’s assume, pray and hope that Varane and Martinez don’t suffer any injuries, so Maguire remains a sub. How does Southgate pic him in the starting 11 for the WC and it not cause a media and punditry outrage.

Trophy Room

He has become so slow. The other facets of his game are also mediocre and therefore he is exposed too often to play at the highest level.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The clicks, this isn't the daily mail.

Maguire fouled the player for a penalty for the first goal, and lost the ball high up the pitch for the second.

Are you Maguire?
It's a joke that's gone terribly, horribly wrong.

I assumed if the opinion was ridiculous enough no one would take it seriously. You seem to realize only Harry could actually think that.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's a joke that's gone terribly, horribly wrong.

I assumed if the opinion was ridiculous enough no one would take it seriously. You seem to realize only Harry could actually think that.
Aha good to know

crossy1686

career ending
We get this every year or so, a section of fans that are totally blinded by the United shirt.

He's not good enough lads, he never was, he just had some good form and we paid daft money for him. If he played for another team right now, would you want United to buy him? Let's say he was available for £20m, last year of his contract at any team in the PL, would you be happy if we signed him?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
He needs a move in January.
The pace of the Italian league should suit him if he can’t get an English club.

Adamsk7

The good news is I think we’re in the end game with him now. He’ll probably go in January because he demands to play elsewhere, whether that’s loan or a cheap sale. How long is left on his deal? 2 yrs?

marcus agrippa

That's confidence/prolonged bad form, there's no way in hell Smalling is better with the ball. Sadly, there's no way either that Maguire is worth 70 million more than Smalling when they both have very clear strengths and very clear weaknesses. To be fair, at least Smalling had/has fantastic pace to rectify any mistakes.
Smalling was horrendous on the ball, but serviceable. Van Gaal had him balling out ('Mike Smalling'). I could definitely see a Martinez-Smalling partnership in a parallel universe.

People talk about Maguire's pace, and sure, he isn't the quickest. But for me, it's his speed of thought that lets him down massively. He doesn't anticipate danger, he just reacts, and being that he's not the quickest to begin with, he always seems like he's on his heels.

Smalling has him beat hands down in both physical and mental pace. One thing Smalling has is a knack for smelling out danger, and of course the physical aspects (agility and mobility).

Status
Not open for further replies.