Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

little.triangles

Not only how, but why for so much. Clowns running the club.
Time for everyone to accept he's been a horrible signing. At his physical peak he could barely keep up, as he ages it will only get worst. Wish we had kept Bailly.
Agree with the bolded. About Bailly though, while he would probably make less mistakes than Maguire, he was always injured. Apparently he is already injured for Marseille!

Horrible buy from us. Even when this deal was going through, you had plenty of Leicester fans rating Evans ahead of Maguire and honestly, I would have been happier even back then if we had gotten Jonny back instead of punting 80 mil on this guy. But I think he somehow fit the bill for the type of player United wanted to project at the time i.e. a leader (which he honestly wasn't even at Leicester), an English international and someone who could be the backbone of a United side wanting to get back to the top. The narrative became bigger than the facts and too many people bought into it. Contrast that to how it would have seemed if we had gotten Evans back. Would not fit into any of the narratives being driven for Maguire. Although Evans was and probably still is the better player (specially with the ball at his feet which we were supposedly aiming for).
Letting go of Evans was one of LvG's bigger mistakes.

Bondi77

It is quite funny really how the CB positions for us over recent years has been such a problem position for us when in the past was one of our strengths.
We can go back over the Fergie years and see the very good/ world class defenders from Pallister Bruce to Rio Vidic and they were rocks at the back but then the great man hand picked Smalling and Jones to be their successors and yet while Smalling was a good defender his skills were lacking and Jones career has been derailed with injuries.
I liken the Varane/Martinez combo to the Smalling/Blind combo as one is the ball player and the other a good defender with good aerial ability.
It is not so long ago Jose wanted Harry at the club and Pep wanted him at City until the price went north of 50mil and these are serial title winning coaches in the major leagues of world football so we would have to think they see something in the player and he was good for us in his first season.
I hope he gets his confidence back as we need at least four CBs in good form at the club.

romufc

Mate if you are really going to the point where him being called a fridge or England fans booing him is regarded as abuse then flipping heck, he’s definitely in the wrong profession.

The likes of Rashford and Pogba have had monkey chants/references online and racist slurs because of the colour of their skin and Maguire has been accused of being called a white kitchen appliance with an expired warranty.

No him being referred to as a fridge or being booed by fans is not abuse. If anything, every ref should be up in arms after being called a wa*nker nearly every game.
Okay so are you saying abuse can only be in the form of racial and every other type of abuse is fine, as long as its not racial?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Okay so are you saying abuse can only be in the form of racial and every other type of abuse is fine, as long as its not racial?
You think being called fridge or slabhead is anywhere close to being same level as being abused racially?

romufc

You think being called fridge or slabhead is anywhere close to being same level as being abused racially?
No, which is what I am saying, because its not racial it seems like people think its fine to abuse people?

Personal abuse should not be condoned, commenting on their footballing ability yes, because that is what we get to see.

I remember 2 weeks ago everyone saying Bruno this that he is petulant x,yz, he does one interview explaining why he does what he does and people understand. You dont know these players personally to warrant personal abuse.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
No, which is what I am saying, because its not racial it seems like people think its fine to abuse people?

Personal abuse should not be condoned, commenting on their footballing ability yes, because that is what we get to see.

I remember 2 weeks ago everyone saying Bruno this that he is petulant x,yz, he does one interview explaining why he does what he does and people understand. You dont know these players personally to warrant personal abuse.
I keep seeing the Maguire fan club spouting this personal abuse rhetoric like folk are chasing him down the street and calling him god knows what.
Nothing that equates anywhere close to the racial abuse that our black players contend with ON A DAILY BASIS.

This thread is begining to have Deppo vs Heardo vibes to it….

Last edited:

Zippycup

I keep seeing the Maguire fan club spouting this personal abuse rhetoric like folk are chasing him down the street and calling him god knows what.
Nothing that equates anywhere close to the racial abuse that our black players contend with ON A DAILY BASIS.
What about a bomb threat to his house?

Genuine question. Why is supporting the captain of our club through the worst time of his career suddenly a bad thing? Why does it make you a "fan of Maguire?" Isn't that what a supporter if Manchester United should do?

Not one person here has said that Maguire should he starting. Not one person has said that he should he free from criticism.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Fewer incels though.

Seveneric

You're arguing meaninglessly against what is not being claimed. Abuse is abuse. Of course racial abuse and assault will always be worse than names, but when someone points out the abuse Maguire gets (which is true), the response shouldn't be "well xxxx gets worse", because that's not the point.

Now if someone were to say "Maguire has suffered the most abuse of any footballer", or something to that effect, then maybe this whataboutism would make sense, because in that case, someone is trying to place the abuse Magure gets above others, which isn't true.

This is coming from someone who hates Maguire's face, so this isn't even a defense of the guy, it's just this silly whataboutism that comes up here a lot when insults hurled at players is being discussed. The equivalent of complaining about a migraine, then someone chiming in to remind you how cancer patients have it worse.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Genuine question. Why is supporting the captain of our club through the worst time of his career suddenly a bad thing? Why does it make you a "fan of Maguire?" Isn't that what a supporter if Manchester United should do?

Not one person here has said that Maguire should he starting. Not one person has said that he should he free from criticism.
No one should have to take abuse but some of you lot (at this point im calling Maguire fans Harryos) are acting as if he is the most abused player ever.

Jippy

Staff
No one should have to take abuse but some of you lot (at this point im calling Maguire fans Harryos) are acting as if he is the most abused player ever.
The flipside of that is that if anyone thinks the level of abuse he gets is overboard, and frankly boring now, particularly given he rightly isn't starting, they get derided as being 'Maguire fans' or 'Maguire's family members or whatever'- it's very puerile.

romufc

This is not just an issue with our black players, this is across the board. It is something that is not acceptable.

The thing is people seem to think because its not racial, its not bad so its fine to abuse someone?

romufc

But as per the caf, it wasn't racial so its acceptable.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The flipside of that is that if anyone thinks the level of abuse he gets is overboard, and frankly boring now, particularly given he rightly isn't starting, they get derided as being 'Maguire fans' or 'Maguire's family members or whatever'- it's very puerile.
I was trying not to reply in this thread as
1 I dont rate the player (nothing personal before any of the Harryos get excited)
2 Im just trying to get the Caf to start calling all Maguire fans Harryos :)

SuperiorXI

If I was a football agent I would advise my client to de-activate all forms of social media and assign it to a responsible PR team. They'd also have to speak to a therapist every few weeks, just to ensure they're doing OK. The abuse they get is growing exponentially with the advent of social media.

Have private whatsapp etc for communication with family/friends/teammates.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im in this camp.

He hasn’t been good enough and has been dropped.

Yet some people feel like they would shoot the lad if they could with the amount of time they simply talk about him.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
This is not just an issue with our black players, this is across the board. It is something that is not acceptable.

The thing is people seem to think because its not racial, its not bad so its fine to abuse someone?
But as per the caf, it wasn't racial so its acceptable.
He’s abused on the Caf for his footballing ability or lack there of

Jippy

Staff
I was trying not to reply in this thread as
1 I dont rate the player (nothing personal before any of the Harryos get excited)
2 Im just trying to get the Caf to start calling all Maguire fans Harryos :)
No thanks, we don't need name-calling or attempts to create divisions among the fans. Don't persist with that or it will end in QC infractions.

JeffFromHK

Abuse is bad but it is inevitable for a famous sportsman to get abused online.

L. Martinez was mocked a dwarf at 1.75
Nunez was mocked as a 100M flop by opposition fans (including us) from day one.
McFred has been a twitter meme for a couple years.
Bruno Fernandes has been mocked as a penalty merchant from day one.

Ronaldo, Messi are certainty the biggest victims of online abuses but their performances are not that impacted.

If you can't withstand that pressure (which I think I can't withstand either TBH), it is human nature, but you should just go play in a lower profile team.

Bebestation

Abuse is bad but it is inevitable for a famous sportsman to get abused online.

L. Martinez was mocked a dwarf at 1.75
Nunez was mocked as a 100M flop by opposition fans (including us) from day one.
McFred has been a twitter meme for a couple years.
Bruno Fernandes has been mocked as a penalty merchant from day one.

Ronaldo, Messi are certainty the biggest victims of online abuses but their performances are not that impacted.

If you can't withstand that pressure (which I think I can't withstand either TBH), it is human nature, but you should just go play in a lower profile team.
For me it happens more in this club due to its toxic must win mentality. Soon as we lose we run over any player possible to make that fan feel like he was right and he would win but the player was wrong.

Most the fans believe this gets the best out of a club and a group of players - whilst I personally believe this removes valuable support to players and actually leads to us playing worse off.

JeffFromHK

For me it happens more in this club due to its toxic must win mentality. Soon as we lose we run over any player possible to make that fan feel like he was right and he would win but the player was wrong.
sometimes fans' toxicity can drive the club forward though. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and PSG fans are all ultra-toxic.

romufc

So he’s shit at his job abuse?
No, you are saying what you see on the foobtall pitch, I have not said we cannot discuss players performances of ability, calling names, bomb threats etc is what is not justified.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
No, you are saying what you see on the foobtall pitch, I have not said we cannot discuss players performances of ability, calling names, bomb threats etc is what is not justified.
Yeah I agree no one should accept abuse, i do feel for him but he doesn't help himself with the car crash interviews and very poor performances. Hopefully for his own sake he leaves as I think the burden of being captain of the club is weighing too heavily on his fragile shoulders

romufc

Yeah I agree no one should accept abuse, i do feel for him but he doesn't help himself with the car crash interviews and very poor performances. Hopefully for his own sake he leaves as I think the burden of being captain of the club is weighing too heavily on his fragile shoulders
Agreed, I do and dont feel sorry for him. I do in the sense that no one should have their families put at risk over football. I don't feel sorry when it comes to football, like you say, his car crash interviews, coming across as he is entitled to play because he is Manutd captain.

This injury might do him good, out of the firing line, no reason for media to talk about his selection, time away and regroup.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Agreed, I do and dont feel sorry for him. I do in the sense that no one should have their families put at risk over football. I don't feel sorry when it comes to football, like you say, his car crash interviews, coming across as he is entitled to play because he is Manutd captain.

This injury might do him good, out of the firing line, no reason for media to talk about his selection, time away and regroup.
To be fair at this point he really needs to be looking at moving on from the club back to enjoying his football again.

Fabian Keller

I can't believe how many people defend him - both fans and the media. He gets LESS stick than he probably deserves. His mistakes arn't just little 'brain farts'. They have led to many of our conceded goals.

I've still never forgiven him for the 1-6 vs Spurs. Never has a player made my blood boil as much in a single game. Worst performance I've ever seen from a player in a United shirt. Even worse that it happened a year later in the 0-5 to Liverpool.

I was at the game at Wembley and I don't see how some posters are saying he had a decent game. Because he made a few passes? Not to sound like Roy but that's his job. He made two reckless, completely needless errors, both leading to German goals and ultimately costing England the game. Happens all the damn time. Sick of him!

Bebestation

I can't believe how many people defend him - both fans and the media. He gets LESS stick than he probably deserves. His mistakes arn't just little 'brain farts'. They have led to many of our conceded goals.

I've still never forgiven him for the 1-6 vs Spurs. Never has a player made my blood boil as much in a single game. Worst performance I've ever seen from a player in a United shirt. Even worse that it happened a year later in the 0-5 to Liverpool.

I was at the game at Wembley and I don't see how some posters are saying he had a decent game. Because he made a few passes? Not to sound like Roy but that's his job. He made two reckless, completely needless errors, both leading to German goals and ultimately costing England the game. Happens all the damn time. Sick of him!
:houllier:

The way people think of him like he slept with their wives is just astonishing.

This is a bloody sport.

b82REZ

The whole abuse angle has been massively overblown and the pearl clutching is making it very difficult to discuss with certain posters as they are constantly using false equivalence.

No one has condoned the bomb threat, the same way no one condoned bullets being sent to other maligned players in the past.

I've seen people claim slab head is suddenly being used in a derogatory way; that has been his nickname for years, from other professionals at club and national levels.

romufc

How many? I think he gets exactly the stick he deserves for his football.

I have literally gone back to end of the game and in 7 pages from then, there has been no one defending him, so where are you seing all these posters defending him?

Can you tell me when is the other times for England he has cost England games ? He plays regularly since 2018 so you must have a list of games for England he has cost us.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.

Genuine question. Why is supporting the captain of our club through the worst time of his career suddenly a bad thing? Why does it make you a "fan of Maguire?" Isn't that what a supporter of Manchester United should do?

I'd say a Manchester United fan should put the results of the team first? We have had Maguire start the first two matches this season, and losing them. And since then, following his removal, we have done well and I'd keep it that way. And the criticism/abuse he is getting also stems from the fact that he has been protected by the pundits so far, even when making errors that lead to goal/chance or invite pressure on the team. The only sort of criticism from pundits/peers I could see were 1, Keane calling him out for the Albania celebration, 2, Alphonso Davies saying something like "Imagine being Ronaldo and Maguire being your captain", 3, and his former teammate Elmohamady saying "He is not at the level to be United Captain". He was basically supported and somewhat coddled by most of the media, and I think the displeasure of seeing him underperforming for united during this time, has definitely made a lot of the fanbase turn to mocking and abuse. I remember when he first started for us, he wasn't as bad. While he never looked like an 80m player(not his fault) he was decent. But that price tag has definitely influenced the fan opinion of him.

But, he'd have received much less abuse if he'd owned up for his shortcomings and subpar performances, and wowed to get back in form and back in the team. Had he said something along the lines of that, instead of ‘I wouldn’t be playing every game if I’d be bad’, or blamed his teammates, he'd have fared much better. I'm not saying he deservers it, but this widespread abuse he is getting is his own making, due to his attitude and performances. Remember, We have Lindelöf who was never that good for us bar a few games and he doesn't get a lot of abuse.

I'd continue to be be happy to see us winning, regardless of Maguire's place in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.