Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Maybe he believes he can reset after last season and wants to fight for his place.

When players fans like leave they're judas cnuts. When players fans don't like want to honour their contracts they're delusional cnuts.
Tbh I liked Maguire and I defended him. It is clear that the manager does not rate him, he has said that Maguire because of various reasons cannot play LCB which was his position under previous managers.

He then has shown not to play him and is 3rd choice in RCB. Its not about honouring contracts if the manager is looking to sell.

We need to get rid of players this summer that do not meet the managers requirements.

Stadjer

He is fully within his right to stay and keep receiving his massive wages. The club also has the right to take away his armband, make him train with the reserves and remove his locker from the first team changing room.

Doubt ETH will do something as harsh as that last two things though. Although it would be quite funny that mr 'i dont have to prove anything'' isnt even part of the squad. Surely that would hurt his ego and might even make him want to leave.

Curious to see if Southgate will still call him up for England in that case. Afterall Southgate did take the underperforming subsitute Maguire over performing starting players to the World Cup.

RopersReturn

See I don't dislike him and you could argue you can make videos like this of any player who's played often enough to make mistakes, but the problem with Maguire is videos like this just do kind of sum him up. If he plays you can expect stuff like this to happen. He looks 3-4 levels below everyone else on the pitch and him playing well is him getting through a game where that doesn't become apparent in the scoreline. He was ok at Leicester but over time players and scouts will figure you out and you have to be good enough to then react and adapt. Not spin slowly around in a circle 3 times then accidentally get your own team mate into a headlock.
To be fair, both he and DDG are a bit of a double act these days.

edgecutter

Blame Ed Woodward for giving him 200k when he was on less than half that at Leicester. How was that guy just allowed to do these things for nearly 10 years just shows the utter disregard our owners had for our club.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Tbh I liked Maguire and I defended him. It is clear that the manager does not rate him, he has said that Maguire because of various reasons cannot play LCB which was his position under previous managers.

He then has shown not to play him and is 3rd choice in RCB. Its not about honouring contracts if the manager is looking to sell.

We need to get rid of players this summer that do not meet the managers requirements.
Of course fans want rid and it must surely be an issue for his England place in the Euros next year if he isn't playing. I guess he's on fat money and his wife and kids might prefer to say where they are rather than move to be near Spurs or wherever.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To be fair, both he and DDG are a bit of a double act these days.
Well, both need replacing, but I would say Maguire is a good way down from De Gea. If Maguire had started as often as De Gea this year I reckon we'd be outside of top 4...and probably looking for a new manager again, because I couldn't see the better players putting the work in game after game when they know we're going to concede about 15 comedy chances and probably lose anyway.

But yeah I do agree. A few mistakes a season from a keeper is normal but De Gea has had what, 6-7 this season alone? And its the type of mistakes too. Telhe ones where he picks a wrong pass trying to play out I can forgive as it will just happen, but constantly fumbling in easy shots and always doing it when it actually matters and will be costly. Never when we're already 3-0 up

Seij

Just leave, Harry…
Harry doesn't want to "downgrade" his club and take a paycut, while Southgate keeps playing him no matter what and he gets praised for his brilliance against North Macedonia and San Marino, so he doesn't have a lot of incentive to leave.

Unless he actually wants to play club football, that is.

clarkydaz

Its a really bad look for him to sit on bench for his wages. Go get your credibility and career back on track

Sylar

Its a really bad look for him to sit on bench for his wages. Go get your credibility and career back on track
Whilst that maybe true, there has to be a team willing to take him.

Maybe if he lowered his wage request but tbf if he's getting 200k PW, and has two years left, and is getting games here (still had 30 appearances even if some were 2 minutes at the end)
The crucial part is he's still being picked for England.

He's 30 so there's no reason for him to leave for the sake of leaving, reckon he will want similar type of wages and probably a team in Europe in this league (can't see him going abroad)

arthurka

Whilst that maybe true, there has to be a team willing to take him.

Maybe if he lowered his wage request but tbf if he's getting 200k PW, and has two years left, and is getting games here (still had 30 appearances even if some were 2 minutes at the end)
The crucial part is he's still being picked for England.

He's 30 so there's no reason for him to leave for the sake of leaving, reckon he will want similar type of wages and probably a team in Europe in this league (can't see him going abroad)
Why can't you see him going abroad? He might actually be perfect for a different footballing style. Italy might be perfect for him.

crossy1686

career ending
Why can't you see him going abroad? He might actually be perfect for a different footballing style. Italy might be perfect for him.
He’s a laughing stock in Europe, they’ve got millions of defenders just like him who never make it because they can’t read the game, just like him. It’s fine being slow, but your positioning and reading of the tactical game have to be on point, he doesn’t have any of that.

arthurka

He’s a laughing stock in Europe, they’ve got millions of defenders just like him who never make it because they can’t read the game, just like him. It’s fine being slow, but your positioning and reading of the tactical game have to be on point, he doesn’t have any of that.
So being a starter English XI for many years now, getting in the WC team of the tournament doesn't count for anything?

crossy1686

career ending
So being a starter English XI for many years now, getting in the WC team of the tournament doesn't count for anything?
Nah, he wouldn’t get into an England side of yesteryear, he wouldn’t even get in now if there was any competition for places, he’s hardly played this season. England are lacking decent options at CB.

Sylar

There aren't many English players post 30 that leave for European teams. I do think he would be good for an Italian team, but, I mean this in the nicest terms, don't see him as that type of character who will up and change to a different country.
I reckon given he's got two really young kids he won't want to take them out either , for what could be a year or two

Just my assumptions based on what we've seen from him and basically the history of this league

doomy20

We are United, we probably keep him and the other laughing stock called Martial for another 3 years while wondering why we can’t close the gap to the top.

Getting better also needs harsh handling of HR issues

Kaos

That prat Southgate isn't doing us any favours picking him every game. Harry probably thinks he's got an amazing thing going - being paid £200k a week and boasts being a Manchester United player, all while being an England starter. And while he does keep getting picked for Ingurland, he sees no incentive to move.

Sounds harsh but the club needs to make it known he should expect no game time if he choses to say here. Putting him in the reserves and taking his shirt number away is a little hysterical, but I think a candid conversation about where he stands in the pecking order should hopefully seal the message for him. The poor bloke is convinced he can fight for his place here.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Joe Allen was in the Euro team of the tournament in 2016. Means nothing. And he starts for England managed by Southgate.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How long can Southgate continue to start him when he doesn't play?

roonster09

Scout
That prat Southgate isn't doing us any favours picking him every game. Harry probably thinks he's got an amazing thing going - being paid £200k a week and boasts being a Manchester United player, all while being an England starter. And while he does keep getting picked for Ingurland, he sees no incentive to move.

Sounds harsh but the club needs to make it known he should expect no game time if he choses to say here. Putting him in the reserves and taking his shirt number away is a little hysterical, but I think a candid conversation about where he stands in the pecking order should hopefully seal the message for him. The poor bloke is convinced he can fight for his place here.
It's Euro year right? Hopefully that should help the move.

crossy1686

career ending
If he plays professional football anywhere, that itself makes your post nonsense and for sure he will be playing in top 5 leagues.
So he’s going to go abroad and play in a league that’s more technical and requires a good understanding of tactics and how to read the game and not end up at West Ham who defend their own 6 yard box for 90 minutes?

Sylar

It's Euro year right? Hopefully that should help the move.
Honestly don't think that matters. Maguire hardly had any minutes before the Qatar world cup.

The England set up suits Maguire because he's got a proactive keeper behind him, and has the likes of stones, walker and sometimes two DMs which can allow for a higher line.

What also helps is there is no standout player to take Maguire's England place especially as Maguire performs well at tournaments, the nature of it suits him because England and him can build momentum (we aren't playing a group of Italy, Argentina, Ghana as an example).
If it was during an era of Rio, Terry, sol, king, carragher, etc, he would defo have to move. But right now his competition is mings? And Southgate will pick based on loyalty too

roonster09

Scout
So he’s going to go abroad and play in a league that’s more technical and requires a good understanding of tactics and how to read the game and not end up at West Ham who defend their own 6 yard box for 90 minutes?
Whether he plays in Serie A or PL doesn't matter, you posted nonsense as simple as that.

Also it's not 90s, Serie A isn't as good and their defenses are not as good either.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nah, he wouldn’t get into an England side of yesteryear, he wouldn’t even get in now if there was any competition for places, he’s hardly played this season. England are lacking decent options at CB.
This point just isn't true.

Stones, Guehi, Tomori, Ming's, White and Dunk have all come off the back of brilliant seasons, played more than Maguire, I'd have anyone of them in the Ireland squad!

Yet Southgate keeps selecting Maguire and England keep winning.

roonster09

Scout
Honestly don't think that matters. Maguire hardly had any minutes before the Qatar world cup.

The England set up suits Maguire because he's got a proactive keeper behind him, and has the likes of stones, walker and sometimes two DMs which can allow for a higher line.

What also helps is there is no standout player to take Maguire's England place especially as Maguire performs well at tournaments, the nature of it suits him because England and him can build momentum (we aren't playing a group of Italy, Argentina, Ghana as an example).
If it was during an era of Rio, Terry, sol, king, carragher, etc, he would defo have to move. But right now his competition is mings? And Southgate will pick based on loyalty too
Shame he doesn't play other players. Someone like Tomori, Guehi, Colwill should push him out of the 11.

romufc

This point just isn't true.

Stones, Guehi, Tomori, Ming's, White and Dunk have all come off the back of brilliant seasons, played more than Maguire, I'd have anyone of them in the Ireland squad!

Yet Southgate keeps selecting Maguire and England keep winning.
Yep this exactly. Its funny to see how we dont rate our players, then wonder why we dont get good transfer fees for them.

I get Maguire is not good enough for the football we want to play but he is a good defender in the right system. We have seen this when he first joined, for 18 months he was good.

As soon as we wanted to play a higher line, his weaknesses didn't let him. Put him in a team that plays a low block, he is a good defender.

mikeyt

Shame he doesn't play other players. Someone like Tomori, Guehi, Colwill should push him out of the 11.
Tomori is significantly better than Maguire and how he hasn't been picked by Southgate tells you everything you need to know about the England Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.