View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Longshanks

I mean starter for ten, in that video Maguire is criticised for "not making himself available to Onana", which is entirely fair. However, later on when he is available as a option, the video then makes the implicit criticism that "Maguire isn't being pressed because he's not a threat". That creates a scenario where the guy cannot fecking win; if he's not available for a pass then he's hiding, and if he is it's because the opposition don't view him as a threat.

Also, even throughout most of those clips that have been selected specifically to criticise Maguire, it's painfully obvious that the midfield are the much much bigger problem.
Rather amusingly in the 'heres what a ball playing CB does bit' he highlights tobido who is actually to slow to get into a good passing position and just ends up getting lucky with a hurried clearance rather than any genuine pass attempt. Or that what they would say if it was a video of Maguire doing the same thing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Fair play to him. I admit I’d written him off at the start of the season - he’s proving a lot of people wrong at the moment.

Ludens the Red

Yeah because it's all down to PR of course :rolleyes:
The POTM award is decided by a public vote and Harry Deserves it after playing and winning every game in November with zero goals conceeded
The narrative was shifted brilliantly tbh. From Maguire being a figure of mockery to then being the hard done by centre half with a redemption story. It all started with those stats on his win percentage that had been what it had because he was literally only playing in rubbish games or when he’d be brought on to protect a lead.

He has done okay since coming back into the team. Not quite as good as some of his form in between 2019-2021 yet you’d think this is the best Maguire we’ve ever seen due to this shift in narrative of which the media massively played their part.

TheGame

The narrative was shifted brilliantly tbh. From Maguire being a figure of mockery to then being the hard done by centre half with a redemption story. It all started with those stats on his win percentage that had been what it had because he was literally only playing in rubbish games or when he’d be brought on to protect a lead.

He has done okay since coming back into the team. Not quite as good as some of his form in between 2019-2021 yet you’d think this is the best Maguire we’ve ever seen due to this shift in narrative of which the media massively played their part.
Narrative? Redemption arc? WTF are you on about? It's a bit pathetic a so called fan can't even praise the club's own player for playing well.

It's really quite simple, he decided to stay and fight for his place, has played well and has remained professional throughout. There isn't a media narrative just because he made a comment about winning matches. He has been slagged off by his own fans and the media but has worked his way back by playing well.

criticalanalysis

Like I said in my previous post in this thread. This season is very similar to his first here. Much better of the centre halves and once again carrying his partner, Lindelof.

city-puma

I said a month ago that Maguire needs to push to midfield more. He’s brilliant today!

Rustyspider13

Another solid display. Taking the captain's band off of him is the best thing that could've happened. He is still slow as hell, but he's not making mistakes every game and is reading the game quite well.

CallyRed

What ever you think about him, the guy has balls. Big squared shaped balls.

Biggins

Criticised him heavily but he really did turn it around. Very good performances lately

cyberman

It really annoys me when other clubs try and get our players in the cheap and we beg the club to take any fee for them.
He and Scott were obviously worth far more than what West Ham were offering and it’s shocking other teams didn’t come in for them. I’m looking at you Chelsea

Stadjer

He had two moment that during the meme period would have resulted in goals for Chelsea. Near the end when he went on a walk with the ball and lost the ball. The other moment when he had to stretch to reach a Chelsea pass (dont know when it was exactly). Losing the ball would have resulted in a goal during the bad period. With the stretch moment he would have missed the ball and been on the ground after that stretch resulting in a goal or chance for Chelsea. Im glad he is fully out of the meme form eventhough he is still slow and the opposite of agile.

Besides those moment he played well. Even played his part in the goal when he pushing up into the midfield. Varane wouldnt have been able to do that.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I was in the trenches for this man last season and got absolutely ridiculed for it. fecking delighted for him.

Red & White

Superb again tonight. Cleaned up everything. Was great to see him bring the ball out so much and attack the space, too. I remember when he use to do that for Hull and I thought he looked decent then. Great performance and having the fans on-side is really nice to see. He deserves it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Great again except towards the end where he screwed up a simple pass by inviting pressure and conceded the ball. Scary moment. Just wish he cuts these kind of brain farts.

Mike Smalling

Another good showing overall, but did have that scary moment towards the end. Was a bit of the old clumsy Maguire on display. But before that there were many good pieces of good defending.

Lee565

He is doing really well but should the club try to capitalize on this and try to sell him in the summer again now that his stock has gone right up and he isn't getting any younger

90 + 5min

Getting back to his best. I hope so. Who could expect that after previous seasons.