Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

Yet, we don´t know the build up to the situation and why the situation escalated.. Mind that footballers live under a lot of pressure the whole year, and when they finally get a chance to party, there might be a lot of steam that needs to come off. If Maguire stood up for his friends and family, and for United as well, why would not a United fan take his side.
I'm only going of what the tweet said. And to me, his actions didn't seem like the right course of action in those circumstances. That tweet may or may not be the complete story. If any more information comes out, my opinion of the situation may change.

Deery

Dreary
They are not a single entity, not hard whats being said
Of course you shouldn’t judge an entire nation based on your meetings with just a few but we do, hell most people would tell you every Irishman is an alcoholic which is only partly true..

Dve

I'm only going of what the tweet said. And to me, his actions didn't seem like the right course of action in those circumstances. That tweet may or may not be the complete story. If any more information comes out, my opinion of the situation may change.
Do you always do the right thing when you had a bit to drink? And if someone is abusive to your girlfriend, you just look the other way? I know I wouldn´t. Maybe not smart, but please spare us the moralism.

Last edited:

GenZRed

Hey English are disliked abroad for a reason . Whenever you go abroad and people ask your nationality as soon as they hear you say Irish and not English the way way they treat you is amazing .

It's like night and day .
You wouldn't dream about say 'x group is disliked/stereotyped in a negative way for a reason' about any other group, so why do the same to one particular group?

Thousands of English people go on holiday abroad and just want to relax and have fun and not cause trouble. If what you say is true rather than justify the group being disliked, the stereotype should be condemned and challenged, as you would in other cases.

Some people (like you) really are hypocritical and quite frankly pathetic.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Of course you shouldn’t judge an entire nation based on your meetings with just a few but we do, hell most people would tell you every Irishman is an alcoholic which is only partly true..
Speak for yourself

GenZRed

Do love the elements of English exceptionalism in this thread.
Really? Because that isn't what I see. What I see is some people playing into negative stereotypes when they wouldn't do the same for certain other groups.

I do see other people saying 'We should wait until the full story are known before making judgement.' If you ask me that is a perfectly decent thing to do. I don't know if you'd rather come to a conclusion before the facts are out there then I don't know what to say.

Sigma

Do you always do the right thing when you had a bit to drink?
I don't drink alcohol.

And if someone is abusive to your girlfriend, you just look the other way?
No I wouldn't look the other way, but again, I was responding only to that tweet, and it doesn't mention anything about his girlfriend.

jesperjaap

Deary me, talk about generalising every nation in a good or bad way. Now I see why so many of the comments on actual football on here are so narrow minded and stated as facts rather than discussion. Serious plebbage going on

Deery

Dreary
I only came in here for a bit of craic but it’s even to mental for me..

GenZRed

'but I do' would have been more appropriate.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes. I go to bars and clubs quite often, I just manage not to fight people. Granted I don't receive any abuse at these places, but I'd like to think if I did, I would respond better.
I've been bottled twice in my life. The first time it was because I nudged someone trying to get to the bar. The second time I was stone cold sober, and had been out for about 10 minutes. It was 2 for 1 on Budweiser, so literally everyone was drinking bud. I picked up what I thought was my beer from the side, and it turned out to be someone else's bud. He confronted me about it and I apologized. He spent the next ten minutes accusing me of trying to 'steal' his bud, even though he had plainly seen me purchase two myself just a few minors prior. Eventually, I told him to feck off, and so he picked up the much lauded bottle of bud and wrapped it around my head.

If someone wants a fight, then no amount of reasonable action will prevent it. That's not to say Maguire is categorically in the right here, but this type of attitude really shows a lack of understanding of the real world.

Brophs

The One and Only
It's Harry Maguire's missus I feel sorry for.

Not due to the prison thing, but any child of his will have a head big enough to split the poor woman in two.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's Harry Maguire's missus I feel sorry for.

Not due to the prison thing, but any child of his will have a head big enough to split the poor woman in two.
I wonder if women think about that beforehand.

Ceteris

I've been bottled twice in my life. The first time it was because I nudged someone trying to get to the bar. The second time I was stone cold sober, and had been out for about 10 minutes. It was 2 for 1 on Budweiser, so literally everyone was drinking bud. I picked up what I thought was my beer from the side, and it turned out to be someone else's bud. He confronted me about it and I apologized. He spent the next ten minutes accusing me of trying to 'steal' his bud, even though he had plainly seen me purchase two myself just a few minors prior. Eventually, I told him to feck off, and so he picked up the much lauded bottle of bud and wrapped it around my head.

If someone wants a fight, then no amount of reasonable action will prevent it. That's not to say Maguire is categorically in the right here, but this type of attitude really shows a lack of understanding of the real world.
Yep and knowing the sentiment against footballers it won't surprise me if they saw Maguire and decided to cause a seen whatever the situation.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Greek guy was getting confused why those guys were calling Maguire fridge

NotThatSoph

This survey from 2009 says a lot. In European countries hoteliers voted Brits as the worst tourists but in non-European countries they were voted the second best tourists behind the Japanese.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8143780.stm

There‘s a type of British tourist that gives us a bad name.
This makes sense, because when people complain about British tourists they don't complain about Brits generally. They complain about the lads on tour, and they'll mostly stick to European party destinations in Greece, Spain etc.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If you read the replies below every tweet about this news, then you can imagine what footballers face when they go in public place. Apparently everything is PR stunt.

Sigma

We can agree to disagree. I have been in situations before where people wanted to fight, but in the end the situation was deescalated. Maybe that could have been the case with what happened to Maguire, the only people who know that are those who were there. I understand, there are definitely some people out there who just want to fight (i.e. football hooligans such as those at EURO 2016) but this is a bar with a few drunk men acting stupidly. Could have called the manager, the police or just left to go to a different bar (better to enjoy the night and be without that sort of commotion) if none of the previous choices worked. Thats what I would have done in that situation.

I'm sorry what happened to you, that doesn't sound nice at all.

Shark

@NotShark
Sorry if it's already come up in this thread, first time posting here but I'm seeing some posts on Twitter saying Harry was defending his little sister, who was attacked at a taxi queue. Any truth to it I would wonder?

LVGSdive

Did he at least say "this bud's for you" when he hit you with it?

Morpheus 7

Until the full facts are known and he's been proven guilty, people should wait. This thread has already stripped him of the captaincy, sacked him from the club and put him in jail for two years. The real disgrace is some of you lot, absolute embarrassment to the fanbase. My brother told me to go and read some of the comments. Absolutely disgusting

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hey English are disliked abroad for a reason . Whenever you go abroad and people ask your nationality as soon as they hear you say Irish and not English the way way they treat you is amazing .

It's like night and day .
:nono: Not in Asia and US.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We can agree to disagree. I have been in situations before where people wanted to fight, but in the end the situation was deescalated. Maybe that could have been the case with what happened to Maguire, the only people who know that are those who were there. I understand, there are definitely some people out there who just want to fight (i.e. football hooligans such as those at EURO 2016) but this is a bar with a few drunk men acting stupidly. Could have called the manager, the police or just left to go to a different bar (better to enjoy the night and be without that sort of commotion) if none of the previous choices worked. Thats what I would have done in that situation.

I'm sorry what happened to you, that doesn't sound nice at all.
And so have I. But the moral of the story is it doesn't matter what I wanted, or what you want. If the other guy wants to smash a bottle in your face, there's very little you can do about it. Again, not to say this definitely what happened. But no amount of retrospective thinking is going to start someone with a hard-on for violence.

I think it's more than a bar with a few drunkards. If the reports are anything to go by, then this was a concerted effort to, at the very least, goad Maguire into conflict.

Oh don't be. I didn't grow up in the most pleasant of places. It was hardly Tijuana, but there was a lot of dickheads around and I did a pretty good job of avoiding them. It was just unfortunate that these two events happened less than 6 months apart. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.