Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotThatSoph

It's funny. You get all these hardmen claiming how the current game is ruined because "half the sissies like dan james spend most of the match rollin round on't floor. What would R Kid Roy Keane have to say about all that".

Then Maguire gets into a situation like this where his sister gets(allegedly) stabbed in the arm and he (allegedly) retaliates and now the overwhelming majority are saying its horrendous and he should be sacked and stripped of captaincy etc???

All you hardcore utd fans: if Maguire's sister was stabbed in the arm and he did F-all what would you have to say about that?

"this squad - no character-imagine keane/neville putting up with that".

let's just see what the court system deem what happened before we jump in and start criticising peoples character shall we?
Are you absolutely sure that the people saying that the current game is ruined are the same people saying that Maguire shouldn't beat up the cops because someone else hurt his sister?

dave1956

At this point in time everything is alleged we do not know his defence or the prosecutions evidence in support of the alleged charges. All this will be come clearer on Tuesday when the case is heard in court and a decision made either guilty or not.
However, a guilty decision will unfortunately may cause problems for the club and Maguire, it will raise the problem that the player having a criminal conviction may well be barred from entering certain country's one of which could be Greece and certainly the USA. So we may end up with a 80 million pound defender who could be barred from entering countries which have teams involved in the Champions and Europa Leagues.
Also from the video that is going the rounds certainly has not been taking the risk of contacting the virus very seriously, or the risk of bringing this back into the training ground.
Not the actions I would expect of the team captain.

Ole'sattheWheel

Are you absolutely sure that the people saying that the current game is ruined are the same people saying that Maguire shouldn't beat up the cops because someone else hurt his sister?
No, I was admittedly being quite facetious there in my comments regarding Harry retaliating to (allegedly plain clothed) police that were unfair, so apologies for that.

My main point though is that we should wait to see what the authorities & legal system deem happened before we cast full judgement.

el3mel

I don't know the reason but I really don't care about this incident from up to bottom at all. It'll be solved and he'll be out. Can't get that interested in it overall.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
One witness claimed: “Harry went spare after seeing the blood on his sister and then it all kicked off big style.

“It was a nasty wound. Harry reacted just like anyone would if they saw a member of their family being attacked.”

Plain-clothes officers who were on patrol in the area rushed to stop the brawl - but Maguire is said to have mistaken the police for the attackers and lashed out at them.

The witness added: “Once Harry realised the police were not part of the original group he tried to explain what had happened.

“But because one of the officers had been hurt they weren’t having it and he was taken to the station with the others.”

It is believed Maguire was taunted by rival football supporters, which culminated in his sister Daisy being stabbed in the arm with a "sharp object."

Things are then said to have escalated, with a mass brawl erupting, and when police arrived to break things up Maguire was reportedly "verbally abusive to an officer and then hit him."

If this is the way things unfolded, the terrible look for the club, is you.
Says the guy quoting the sun or the daily mail or some other trash rag.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wouldnt trust twitter post that has "allegedly" most of them are just 1+1 equals 10.

It's fan fiction at worst, opinions at best

Stabbed to bleed
Secret police
Fridge (no greek who doesnt speak english can understand their taunt, so either they knew the language or they're just clueless)
Assaulted
So strong he need 5 men to pin down
Mess around with a group of girls (what's this? Like actually hands on trying to grope them or what?

90 percent of the itk are probably rubbish.

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
I find it quite ironic this thread is full of people arguing Greek police are extremely corrupt, yet one of the charges is attempted bribery. So corrupt they deny a bribe, eh?

A lot of speculation also going on about what happened, didn’t happen. All you have to go on at the moment are the charges, and if they are even somewhat true is it a complete shit show for any top player at any top club, never mind the world record defender and club captain at Manchester United.

I highly doubt it will go any further due to who he is and the money and reputation involved (go figure the world is unbalanced and feked), but the very fact these charges were presented is a huge concern, particularly the more serious ones.

murali_red

No it doesnt change anything. If you rob a house and there's a cop who happens to be not wearing his uniform because he's on holiday he can still apprehend you and report you to his colleagues.

Not understanding the language isnt an excuse to get into a fight.
But this is not robbing a house is it? A brawl can happen when one is drunk. I doubt Harry intends to assault police officer when sane. One has to look at the intention, if there is no malafide intention then he is not guilty and why should one expect police to be civil dress unless they are doing an undercover operation or came to a bar themselves, in that case they are off duty and become more kind of person, still an offence but he is not obstructing an official duty.
Somehow things doesn't add up, I don't know how maguire is personally but its strange that one would intentionally take such a step. Ben stokes punched a guy but he didn't punch a police officer and no person, how powerful and rich or connected would do that in public. It all appears a big misunderstanding.

murali_red

One witness claimed: “Harry went spare after seeing the blood on his sister and then it all kicked off big style.

“It was a nasty wound. Harry reacted just like anyone would if they saw a member of their family being attacked.”

Plain-clothes officers who were on patrol in the area rushed to stop the brawl - but Maguire is said to have mistaken the police for the attackers and lashed out at them.

The witness added: “Once Harry realised the police were not part of the original group he tried to explain what had happened.

“But because one of the officers had been hurt they weren’t having it and he was taken to the station with the others.”

It is believed Maguire was taunted by rival football supporters, which culminated in his sister Daisy being stabbed in the arm with a "sharp object."

Things are then said to have escalated, with a mass brawl erupting, and when police arrived to break things up Maguire was reportedly "verbally abusive to an officer and then hit him."

If this is the way things unfolded, the terrible look for the club, is you.
If this is true, then it is always the case of self defence. If there one mark or bruise on his sister then Harry is within his right.

clarkydaz

Hey English are disliked abroad for a reason . Whenever you go abroad and people ask your nationality as soon as they hear you say Irish and not English the way way they treat you is amazing .

It's like night and day .
I have to say, a guy at work yesterday backed this up completely.

He went to Greece a few years back with his son, they decided to wear a couple of irish footy shirts and the staff treated them with open arms, while actively pointing out the other english groups, sneering at them.

I have to say, a guy at work yesterday backed this up completely.

He went to Greece a few years back with his son, they decided to wear a couple of irish footy shirts and the staff treated them with open arms, while actively pointing out the other english groups, sneering at them.
Could it be the fact one was a father and son, the other a group of lads. Far more variables than just nationality - yet you choose to stereotype an entire nation due to a dit from some bloke at work.

Sick and tired of this ridiculous labelling that’s going on.

I get it, lots of this forum dislike the English and so find anecdotes to support their prejudices.

That’s exactly what you’ve done here.

clarkydaz

Could it be the fact one was a father and son, the other a group of lads. Far more variables than just nationality - yet you choose to stereotype an entire nation due to a dit from some bloke at work.

Sick and tired of this ridiculous labelling that’s going on.

I get it, lots of this forum dislike the English and so find anecdotes to support their prejudices.

That’s exactly what you’ve done here.
No because he made a point confirming they were irish, then said something like you are greeks of the north and gave them a hug.

Im also english by the way

GazTheLegend

I find it quite ironic this thread is full of people arguing Greek police are extremely corrupt, yet one of the charges is attempted bribery. So corrupt they deny a bribe, eh?

A lot of speculation also going on about what happened, didn’t happen. All you have to go on at the moment are the charges, and if they are even somewhat true is it a complete shit show for any top player at any top club, never mind the world record defender and club captain at Manchester United.

I highly doubt it will go any further due to who he is and the money and reputation involved (go figure the world is unbalanced and feked), but the very fact these charges were presented is a huge concern, particularly the more serious ones.
Opposition supporter comes on and completely ignores all context shocker

What the feck is with fans of other clubs and their problem with Maguire. Literally no hard facts have come out yet and the man's pleaded "not guilty" so there's that. Try not to seethe about it all weekend.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

The only shit show is this abomination of a post. You’re speaking as though the charges against Maguire are fact, whereas guilt, or innocence for that matter, is still to be proven. So all your guff about it not being befitting of a Man Utd captain and the implication he will get away with it due to money is just tribal bollocks.

People are complaining about the standard of posting on the Caf these days, and it is doubtless fuelled by garbage opposition posters, with some exceptions.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Opposition supporter comes on and completely ignores all context shocker

What the feck is with fans of other clubs and their problem with Maguire. Literally no hard facts have come out yet and the man's pleaded "not guilty" so there's that. Try not to seethe about it all weekend.
I doubt he will be getting promoted any time soon thankfully.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Why the feck is he going to a crowded island in Greece during a pandemic is my question? Dosen’t the club have any sort of restrictions where the players can go on vacation in covid times?

I see Bruno is with his fiancé and children on a quiet place in Portugal. Seems a bit more mature to me.

The new season starts in three weeks feck sake!

Matriac

Why the feck is he going to a crowded island in Greece during a pandemic is my question? Dosen’t the club have any sort of restrictions where the players can go on vacation in covid times?

I see Bruno is with his fiancé and children on a quiet place in Portugal. Seems a bit more mature to me.
At least Brandon and Marcus is at the same place Harry was. The destination was obviously approved by the club.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
So this incident has given licence to all those who think we overpaid for Maguire, or who don’t think he’s fast enough, or don’t think he should have been given the armband or that his head is too big a chance to screech and bleat and generally be hateful and belligerent twats?

Throw is some good old fashioned generalisation and stereotyping for good measure and we have yet another amazing stream of discussion! Awesome thread.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
At least Brandon and Marcus is at the same place Harry was. The destination was obviously approved by the club.
One more thing they have in common is that they’re three overhyped, overpayed british players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So this incident has given licence to all those who think we overpaid for Maguire, or who don’t think he’s fast enough, or don’t think he should have been given the armband or that his head is too big a chance to screech and bleat and generally be hateful and belligerent twats?

Throw is some good old fashioned generalisation and stereotyping for good measure and we have yet another amazing stream of discussion! Awesome thread.
Don't forget he is breeding children with big heads as well, putting his wife's health at risk.

Ekeke

Even if his sister gets stabbed in the arm, he's silly to get into a brawl in a foreign country. All he had to do was make sure his sister was safe by breaking up whatever was happening with her and then they could all leave together. Its completely understandable to get upset and angry, its not to completely forget your responsibilities and act like a lout.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Even if his sister gets stabbed in the arm, he's silly to get into a brawl in a foreign country. All he had to do was make sure his sister was safe by breaking up whatever was happening with her and then they could all leave together. Its completely understandable to get upset and angry, its not to completely forget your responsibilities and act like a lout.
“Hey! You ruffians who have just stabbed my sister and goaded me all night. I am going to enter this fight now perchance and you shall allow me leave. You are fiends and scoundrels and I have now broke up this fight. You will now disperse!”

Ekeke

“Hey! You ruffians who have just stabbed my sister and goaded me all night. I am going to enter this fight now perchance and you shall allow me leave. You are fiends and scoundrels and I have now broke up this fight. You will now disperse!”
Why would he have to enter the fight. He just puts himself between his sister and them, and they leave. Who cares if they goaded him? They have much less to lose. Only a child would care about it more than how it makes the club look to be getting into fights

dev1l

He he...:)

dev1l

Why would he have to enter the fight. He just puts himself between his sister and them, and they leave. Who cares if they goaded him? They have much less to lose. Only a child would care about it more than how it makes the club look to be getting into fights
Mate, I don't usually give advice but you need to stop digging :))

Pagh Wraith

It's 10 times better than Greek! I'd never go back there, I had my fill of Greek island holidays when I was in my 20s. It's on my list of places I never want to go to, along with China and Texas.
:eek:

Greek food is amazing. Probably my favourite cousine in the world.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You talk like Maguire purposely and intently attacked a police man? From all accounts this only happened with plain clothed officers that they thought were more trouble makers.

he didn’t choose to do that at all.
Some of you talk like you’ve never been in an intimidating situation ever in your life? If you have a group of people following you, shouting at you and saying horrible things - then end up cutting your sisters arm? Do you think they’re going to just stop and leave? Do you think asking them nicely go away will make any difference :lol: they’ll just follow you and carry on.

fighting them was no doubt a last resort and required. I feel bad for your sisters/families if that’s how you react.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
fighting them was no doubt a last resort and required. I feel bad for your sisters/families if that’s how you react.
Also instinctive. If I’d been out and some fool had stabbed my Sister / Mrs / Daughter / Son or any other loved one I’d probably have done exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.