Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNinio

So what would you call it if someone makes a stabbing motion with a blunt object? Say I'm trying to 'stab' you with a spoon, how'd you call that? (Apart from stupid or pointless - haha.)

Serious question actually, curious about this now. :)
I would think this would just be prodded.

Ekeke

This is a pretty easy position to put yourself in when your sister hasnt been stabbed in the arm infront of you.

That being said: What is the most likely situation here:

Harry becoming aggressive for no reason?
Harry becoming aggressive for a very good reason?

Things don't just happen, especially to a person who frankly has a history of being a very stand up adult human being. If Harry got mad, I choose to believe he had a VERY good reason to.

As long as his teammates want him to be captain, he should be captain.
Theres nothing wrong with getting mad, or angry, or shouting as long as thats all he does. He's a millionaire in a very privilidged position representing the club and he has to know that when he goes on
holiday.

Does it mean that some idiots can heckle him a bit in public? Yeah and that sucks right.

Does it suck enough to not want to be a millionaire footballer and captain of your club?

I dont know, ask Harry Maguire. But if he doesnt want to do it someone else will. Because its important.

Ekeke

:houllier::houllier:

People need to remember that footballers are human beings. If it is true that his sister was stabbed in the arm he was well within his rights to start brawling. If I was in that situation, I would be wary of the assailant causing further damage and would probably have done the same thing.

Let's not act holier than thou now.
So to stop further violence you'd jump in with violence. Gotcha :lol:

Ekeke

Oh get fecked.

I'm sure if a family member of yours got stabbed you would be too busy posting irate messages about it on a forum to do anything of course

If someone stabbed any of mine I'd hope to just about keep my head but you never know how you're going to react to any situation. The key of course is not to be in that situation in the first place but sometimes there's nothing you can do
I'm not being paid to be the captain of a huge football club. What I do reflects on me, not on them. So I wouldnt have to worry about it. If he doesnt want to worry about it, someone else can do the job

Ekeke

You talk like Maguire purposely and intently attacked a police man? From all accounts this only happened with plain clothed officers that they thought were more trouble makers.

he didn’t choose to do that at all.

Some of you talk like you’ve never been in an intimidating situation ever in your life? If you have a group of people following you, shouting at you and saying horrible things - then end up cutting your sisters arm? Do you think they’re going to just stop and leave? Do you think asking them nicely go away will make any difference :lol: they’ll just follow you and carry on.

fighting them was no doubt a last resort and required. I feel bad for your sisters/families if that’s how you react.
If I was a millionaire captain of a football club? Yes. Of course I'd leave. Its an unpleasant situation for a few minutes for an unbelivable and highly paid career. Boo hoo you have to suck up your pride because theres idiots starting something.

Oldyella

If I was a millionaire captain of a football club? Yes. Of course I'd leave. Its an unpleasant situation for a few minutes for an unbelivable and highly paid career. Boo hoo you have to suck up your pride because theres idiots starting something.
Where do you draw the line on who can react to provocation in the moment?

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
Corruption isn't limited to bribes. While it's the most common form of it, corruption is any dishonest or fraulent conduct by an authority.

Police releasing limited information to justify their interpretation of events and the arrest, such as not seeing the need to note that the police involved were plainclothes officers falls nicely into the definition.

In setting the narrative that way, they had a whole swath of people in here and elsewhere believing that a pissed up Maguire was throttling uniformed officers.
While I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, you’re setting your own narrative based upon assumptions.

It’s really important to be skeptical. However if you start doubting this case with no evidence and just going by your general opinion on the police force and think that’s what happened I think that’s wrong.

It’s a bit of a reach to assume the police would make up a charge of attempted bribery without anything to back this up other than “they’re corrupt”, would you not agree? I mean why would they do that? To a famous and rich foreign person nonetheless who will no doubt have the upper hand over them when the case continues in court.

At the end of the day, no one knows what really happened. And although I am a healthy believer in skepticism there is a point whereby swinging directly over to one side of the spectrum you become as bad as the other side.

It is also important to remember corruption can come from both ends. I’m speculating here for the time being but I have no doubt in my mind this case will be closed with a fine as a maximum outcome, regardless of evidence. Purely due to the fame and money in possession of the person and who he represents. Would this be the case for a layman? I highly doubt that. That to me is a form of corruption. However we shall wait and see what happens.

big rons sovereign

Insulting another member
Yeah alright mate, pal.and agenda in the same sentence. Your the one who thinks the police have an agenda.
Not at all, just putting a different viewpoint on it. Wasn't aware I needed to run it by you first.
Is it ok if I offer a different opinion on a subject, or does everybody have to just takes yours?
Prick.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
You wouldn't. "Stabbed" means with a knife or something similarly stabbable (probably not a word), "stabbed with a sharp object" means with something other than a knife.

Edit: In this specific instance, if you really had to describe it, the natural way would probably be stabbed with a spoon because I don't think there is a general term for such weird behaviour.
Knifey Spoony is very popular in Greece.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So say he did leave, then they followed them and continued doing it in the street, getting in their personal space and then poking your sister with some object.

What will you do then? ask them to stop nicely?

You seem like somebody with very little life experience, perhaps you've never been in a difficult situation like this?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Not at all, just putting a different viewpoint on it. Wasn't aware I needed to run it by you first.
Is it ok if I offer a different opinion on a subject, or does everybody have to just takes yours?
Prick.
You're the one that doesn't tolerate a different viewpoint mate. You said I've got an agenda for saying the police wouldn't recognise him as the captain of Man United like I said he isn't Ronaldo.most in Greece wouldn't recognise him let alone some copper on a Greek island.
Reported for the "prick" comment by the way big man.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I would think this would just be prodded.
The idea is that you're trying to hurt but just took an inefficient weapon. Isn't prodding a bit too gentle for that? 'Proddes violently' sound a bit too trie-hard to me.
You wouldn't. "Stabbed" means with a knife or something similarly stabbable (probably not a word), "stabbed with a sharp object" means with something other than a knife.

Edit: In this specific instance, if you really had to describe it, the natural way would probably be stabbed with a spoon because I don't think there is a general term for such weird behaviour.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, if I really went at you with my spoon and 'hit' you around your kidneys or in the hollow below your ribs of something, I could probably do some real damage. I thought 'stabbed with a spoon' would describe that, so I was curious after Pogue's post.

(Obviously, this is much more interesting than the Maguire saga.)

LordNinio

The idea is that you're trying to hurt but just took an inefficient weapon. Isn't prodding a bit too gentle for that? 'Proddes violently' sound a bit too trie-hard to me.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, if I really went at you with my spoon and 'hit' you around your kidneys or in the hollow below your ribs of something, I could probably do some real damage. I thought 'stabbed with a spoon' would describe that, so I was curious after Pogue's post.

(Obviously, this is much more interesting than the Maguire saga.)
Yeah prods, would be pretty low level. If you 'prodded' with enough force then I guess it becomes a stab.

Essentially you can 'stab' someone with anything, if there is enough force. The sharper the object, the less force needed for it to be considered a stab. I guess there is a grey tipping point somewhere in the middle, where the ratio of sharpness to force makes it unclear whether it is a stab or a prod (or something else maybe?).

In the article, the amount of force isn't really given, so it's pertinent to mention that the object was sharp, I think.

(completely agree, much more interesting than the actual Maguire story)

On a side note, is anyone else having issues, when they make a post, all the edit options are greyed out, I can't even use a smily...

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Yeah prods, would be pretty low level. If you 'prodded' with enough force then I guess it becomes a stab.

Essentially you can 'stab' someone with anything, if there is enough force. The sharper the object, the less force needed for it to be considered a stab. I guess there is a grey tipping point somewhere in the middle, where the ratio of sharpness to force makes it unclear whether it is a stab or a prod (or something else maybe?).

In the article, the amount of force isn't really given, so it's pertinent to mention that the object was sharp, I think.

On a side note, is anyone else having issues, when they make a post, all the edit options are greyed out, I can't even use a smily...
Press the gold cog icon mate.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

There is a clear relationship though: language is at least as unclear and muddled as what happened to Maguire.

big rons sovereign

You're the one that doesn't tolerate a different viewpoint mate. You said I've got an agenda for saying the police wouldn't recognise him as the captain of Man United like I said he isn't Ronaldo.most in Greece wouldn't recognise him let alone some copper on a Greek island.
Reported for the "prick" comment by the way big man.
Absolutely pathetic. Should I report you for calling me bigman?
Get a life mate.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
While I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, you’re setting your own narrative based upon assumptions.

It’s really important to be skeptical. However if you start doubting this case with no evidence and just going by your general opinion on the police force and think that’s what happened I think that’s wrong.

It’s a bit of a reach to assume the police would make up a charge of attempted bribery without anything to back this up other than “they’re corrupt”, would you not agree? I mean why would they do that? To a famous and rich foreign person nonetheless who will no doubt have the upper hand over them when the case continues in court.

At the end of the day, no one knows what really happened. And although I am a healthy believer in skepticism there is a point whereby swinging directly over to one side of the spectrum you become as bad as the other side.

It is also important to remember corruption can come from both ends. I’m speculating here for the time being but I have no doubt in my mind this case will be closed with a fine as a maximum outcome, regardless of evidence. Purely due to the fame and money in possession of the person and who he represents. Would this be the case for a layman? I highly doubt that. That to me is a form of corruption. However we shall wait and see what happens.
It's a bigger reach that Harry Maguire would go on a bender that ends with him assaulting people, laying verbal and physical beatings on uniformed police officers, and then attempting to bribe his way out of it, as this was first presented. As more information comes out we see that the skepticism was warranted as there is a lot more nuance to the facts of what transpired.

Maguire's probably not that kind of yob; this is the source of my skepticism, not an anti-police attitude. The unmasking of their shitty conduct over the years only supports the notion that we don't need to believe everything they tell us.

Indeed, the idea that the police's version of events be scrutinized is a fundamental part of any reasonable system of justice.

Ekeke

So say he did leave, then they followed them and continued doing it in the street, getting in their personal space and then poking your sister with some object.

What will you do then? ask them to stop nicely?

You seem like somebody with very little life experience, perhaps you've never been in a difficult situation like this?
True I've never been manchester united captain and had my sister stabbed in the arm, I bow to your experience.

If you try to leave and they force an engagement its no longer your choice. We havent been told thats what happened.

Ekeke

Where do you draw the line on who can react to provocation in the moment?
Theres a reason why he was being picked out. He has a lot to lose. Money, fame, can make the club look bad, can lose his captaincy. They obviously didnt have anywhere near as much to lose. So the line is somewhere before you have all those things. Probably if you have just one of those things you're best off staying out of trouble.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a nothing story. The only thing that bothers me just a little is that he, Rashford and others were vacationing overseas 3 weeks before the season starts (not sure when you start your preseason but I guess at least 2 weeks before that), knowing the country you're in could get added to the banlist and find yourself in a Kane situation. The club should have advised the players not to leave the country given the pandemic and the season about to start. Other than that there's nothing to see here.
They'll have run it through the club, without any doubt.

Most likely, his agent, or someone from the club arranged it anyway!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Initially I was bit hesitant in defending Maguire but he was well within his right to retaliate if someone was physically assaulting his sister. Not sure how that is not acceptable.

We loved Eric for kicking the shit out of that hooligan on live TV. If the events mentioned are true, I have no hesitation in defending Maguire's action

Status
Not open for further replies.