Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpWithRivers

Sht like this happens all the time. If it wast a famous footballer everyone would just go home and move on. I believe Maguire but I think they probably overacted through fear and not knowing how Greece works and started running and panicking when the cops tried to arrest him. Locals would have shut up and not resisted. Not saying its right. Cops shouldn't treat you like sht but if you are in a foreign country you need be prepared to act accordingly. The Daisy drugging seems weird as well. How do you get drugged, pass out and then are fine a few minutes later? I dont think they are lying but everything probably got out of hand and wires were crossed and conclusions made and basically one of those nights.

trafford1980

He is extremely lucky he is english and white as the media would be all over him calling him the worst transfer in premiership history otherwise

As I said in another post. I'm glad i'm not a liberal.

Personally not looked into this case butI don't think Maguire (white though he is) oh and English.....has a prior track record. **ck the media. It's shameful for many if they let the media be their mouth piece or do their thinking for them. Maguires been POOR to Good. Don't care what the stupid lying media say personally.
What the feck is this?

hubbuh

He is extremely lucky he is english and white as the media would be all over him calling him the worst transfer in premiership history otherwise

Personally not looked into this case butI don't think Maguire (white though he is) oh and English.....has a prior track record. **ck the media. It's shameful for many if they let the media be their mouth piece or do their thinking for them. Maguires been POOR to Good. Don't care what the stupid lying media say personally.
Er, what?

Beanz

Maguire had the option to apologise and the court would let it all go away. But he said feck that I have nothing to apologise for and some nut case on caf still thinks he's lying. He has everything to lose if what he said was nothing but fabrications, but people with agendas already have their minds made up. To even say ake is a better defender than maguire :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Didn’t think anyone’s post could be more nonsensical than @lsd but well done, you’ve achieved it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

You ok hun?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Both ways probably actually
If someone is black they are believed less. Thats why its taken irrefutable video evidence and social media to get people to see whats been happening for decades

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m not a lawyer I’m afraid, I maybe shouldn’t have worded my post that way, I studied law ageeess ago but didn’t pursue the law. But I’m guessing if they did that the solicitor could be struck off from the SRA.
Not exactly. It's not malpractice to appeal even if it's futile, you studied law so you probably studied hundreds of cases where lawyers came up with boneheaded arguments. In order to be in trouble you would have not do the work or give genuinely bad advices. People should keep in mind that lawyers defend people that are guilty, that they know are guilty but will still try to find ways to reduce or cancel sentences.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not exactly. It's not malpractice to appeal even if it's futile, you studied law so you probably studied hundreds of cases where lawyers came up with boneheaded arguments. In order to be in trouble you would have not do the work or give genuinely bad advices. People should keep in mind that lawyers defend people that are guilty, that they know are guilty but will still try to find ways to reduce or cancel sentences.
Yes I agree, obviously appealing it is standard, but like the post I quoted said giving bad advice with the view of drawing more money from the client is obviously a no no, but we’re clearly in agreement. :)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Glad that the conviction is now nullified, because I really feel like whiter-than-white Southgate would've dropped him permanently and now he has no leg to stand on.

Berbasbullet

Why are you going on about liberals here? Honestly this place is so weird sometimes. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes I agree, obviously appealing it is standard, but like the post I quoted said giving bad advice with the view of drawing more money from the client is obviously a no no, but we’re clearly in agreement. :)
He was talking about something I said and twisted it by adding bad advice. Basically someone suggested that they appealed because they felt that he was innocent and I said that there is also the fact that his lawyer will be able to bill more hours. What people need to realize is that many lawyers don't care about their client culpability they will still represent them and if needed focus on due process and in this case it's a legitimate reason to appeal and a potentially lucrative one.

Berbasbullet

He was talking about something I said and twisted it by adding bad advice. Basically someone suggested that they appealed because they felt that he was innocent and I said that there is also the fact that his lawyer will be able to bill more hours. What people need to realize is that many lawyers don't care about their client culpability they will still represent them and if needed focus on due process and in this case it's a legitimate reason to appeal and a potentially lucrative one.
Fair enough bro.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My god there are some absolute weapons on here. The lad has never been in trouble before despite going abroad on holiday as a footballer for years, never any drunken photos doing the round like a number of other players. He was very visibly moved when talking about his little sister and what had happened. You could see he was still shaken by the event and why the hell should he apologise to the police. He has apologised to the people he thinks matter the club and us.

izec

Hope he recovers. Never in doubt that he is innocent.

The Harry haters that didn't like him from the start and the fee we paid are out in full force, so not surprised.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No bruise you said?

Makes sense also, if he's down on his knees already then his shins won't get hit, but the top of his knee would be exposed. Looks like quite a lump also so they probably gave him a proper kick which made him fight/flight.

What a load of horrible jealous wankers.

DomesticTadpole

Why does he need to have bruising? I don’t get why a person needs to be found not guilty only if he’s being beaten brutally? Your logic is just weird mate.

Do the cops that got involved with him and called themselves the victim also have bruises?
I have given my self some right bumps and no bruising, other times a bruise appears and you have barely bumped something. Got a rounders ball right on the eye socket at school, not a sign of bruising. Got someone out at second base though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
How anyone can watch the interview and not be behind Maguire is beyond me, nevermind an actual fan of the club he captains. Hopefully the club issue a firm statement backing him now, I'm assuming they gave him permission to appear on the BBC in the first place.

POF

How anyone can watch the interview and not be behind Maguire is beyond me, nevermind an actual fan of the club he captains. Hopefully the club issue a firm statement backing him now, I'm assuming they gave him permission to appear on the BBC in the first place.
They already did the day of the guilty verdict. Basically called the original trial and conviction a sham - which it was.

Doracle

I suspect that this will ultimately end with an apology to Maguire from the Greek authorities. He comes across as entirely believable (unless you have some bizarre agenda against him). Probably an element of misunderstanding combined with the Greek police officers being a bit over-aggressive and Maguire and his friends having had a few beers.

You have to think that they will be getting more and more concerned with the captain of Man Utd basically warning people not to go to Greek islands on holiday. Throwing an over zealous police officer or two under a bus, saying that training has been given and an apology feels the better option than continuing to double-down and try and blame Maguire.

DomesticTadpole

I suspect that this will ultimately end with an apology to Maguire from the Greek authorities. He comes across as entirely believable (unless you have some bizarre agenda against him). Probably an element of misunderstanding combined with the Greek police officers being a bit over-aggressive and Maguire and his friends having had a few beers.

You have to think that they will be getting more and more concerned with the captain of Man Utd basically warning people not to go to Greek islands on holiday. Throwing an over zealous police officer or two under a bus, saying that training has been given and an apology feels the better option than continuing to double-down and try and blame Maguire.
Yes. This could happen. Countries that rely on tourism need the money tourism brings in, but would rather not have the tourists. Not that I blame them at times. This isn't all down to footballers, they are a very small part of it. Until others learn to behave there will always be a problem. People blaming drink, knobheads with drink inside them are just drunk knobheads. Rude people are like that anyway.

Cloud7

There’s nothing to get behind. It’s not a football match or a competition where we have to cheer on Maguire in hopes that he wins. It’s a legal matter, the inner workings of which none of us are really privy to, short of what the police and what Maguire have said, which seems to be enough for people to choose a side either way.

IRELANDUNITED

This. It couldn't be more clear that our captain is 100% innocent. He's also 100% right not to apologize and he deserves an apology and justice.

GazTheLegend

No bruise you said?

You've rinsed the cnut!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@AC1689 will probably say Maguire did it to himself in a mirror to look more convincing anyway

Maguire looked like he'd taken a few whacks to his face in the interview to me but there again he is a centre back and most good ones get a broken nose at some point

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There’s nothing to get behind. It’s not a football match or a competition where we have to cheer on Maguire in hopes that he wins. It’s a legal matter, the inner workings of which none of us are really privy to, short of what the police and what Maguire have said, which seems to be enough for people to choose a side either way.
Sure there is something to get behind. Supporting our captain who has clearly been through a traumatic experience.

K_Ash

he might have just realized that he is actually Manchester United's Captain..In today's world, you can't just go to popular tourist place anymore; almost need to book your private island or be surrounded by security.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I might have just realized that he is actually Manchester United's Captain..In today's world, you can't just go to popular tourist place anymore; almost need to book your private island or be surrounded by security.
We’ve had several other players in the very same place in recent weeks, along with several other Premier League players. So evidently, yes they can just go to popular tourist places. Just as they all do several times a year. One incident doesn’t change that

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Maguire literally states in the interview that he doesn't want to be a footballer that's forced to go into a private holiday destination and he wants to go on a 'normal' holiday. Yeah, he will be able to spend a bit more than other people while on that holiday but if he's being harassed or abused while on that holiday it isn't Maguire who is in the wrong or should be forced to make a change. It should be the people abusing him that you need to look at ffs.

K_Ash

We’ve had several other players in the very same place in recent weeks, along with several other Premier League players. So evidently, yes they can just go to popular tourist places. Just as they all do several times a year. One incident doesn’t change that
that is the point, he is not "other players". He is "Manchester united captain". That thing happens to Sergio Romero and with all due respect to him, BBC News and all of them would not look to have him in the "studios"..(Back pages story)

Status
Not open for further replies.