Has political correctness actually gone mad?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
1. The Hollywood blacklist was also carried out by private studios. We generally consider that to have been pretty bad.
2. I think the main concern is that studios 'weighing pros and cons' is actually a very shallow and surface-level process. Studios (and other businesses) can and have been bullied or tricked into taking action over any nonsense that anyone can gin up, as long as it's loud enough. James Gunn was famously fired over some dumb jokes only for the studio to hire him again a year later once it was obvious nobody had ever actually cared.
1 - So how do we deal with this? Force them to produce something against their will?

2 - I'm sure many decisions are nothing more than knee jerk reactions, but as you pointed, these tend to self correct once the dust settles, unless the "canceled" person actually did something wrong.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There's an aging comedian selling the fantasy the he is taboo to distract from his increasingly lazy and uninspired work. If you want more than that I don't think you'll find it.
I'm a huge Chappelle fan and don't think he should be removed from Netflix for his jokes, but this is true as well. His jokes before never seemed to be politically motivated, though he did make jokes about political topics before as well. Now it just seems forced made with the purpose of not making one laugh but rather making a statement.

Needham

I'm a huge Chappelle fan and don't think he should be removed from Netflix for his jokes, but this is true as well. His jokes before never seemed to be politically motivated, though he did make jokes about political topics before as well. Now it just seems forced made with the purpose of not making one laugh but rather making a statement.
Nope. He was always sermonizing. Certainly over the last decade and a half or so. But through all that time he was sermonizing against the "white community." That was fine, right? Now it's against the 'trans community." Not ok, right? Hence the shrieking. Chappelle is not a laugh out loud hilarious comedian. He's amusing. But the spaces between his jokes are getting longer. In those spaces, people are thinking, yeah, maybe has never that funny. And they're right. He wasn't.

Nope. He was always sermonizing. Certainly over the last decade and a half or so. But through all that time he was sermonizing against the "white community." That was fine, right? Now it's against the 'trans community." Not ok, right? Hence the shrieking. Chappelle is not a laugh out loud hilarious comedian. He's amusing. But the spaces between his jokes are getting longer. In those spaces, people are thinking, yeah, maybe has never that funny. And they're right. He wasn't.
That's his whole point and he's quite right about it. It's become about popularity rather than a cause. You can only be offended about something if your chosen topic is flavour of the month. Otherwise nobody cares.

Withnail

Going back quite a while but that special he did when he goes to the hood and there was a baby on the corner is hilarious as was the True Hollywood stories. He was definitely funny.

RoyH1

Going back quite a while but that special he did when he goes to the hood and there was a baby on the corner is hilarious as was the True Hollywood stories. He was definitely funny.
Absolutely. When he was at the top of his game he was absolutely hilarious.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I'm almost undecided on this, but say I'm blind, and you're telling me you're a white guy? That's gonna tip the balance of what you have to say in this or that way for me? I don't get it..

NotThatSoph

I only follow people I find interesting in some way. What's it to you?
I was just wondering why you're posting that stuff. Just a couple of days ago someone else posted the tweet of a nazi, but in that case it was an innocent mistake. Not what's happening here.

What's your favorite topic? Bugmen, troons, the great replacement? Maybe some Curtis Yarvin style fascism? Very interesting stuff.

e.cantona

I was just wondering why you're posting that stuff. Just a couple of days ago someone else posted the tweet of a nazi, but in that case it was an innocent mistake. Not what's happening here.

What's your favorite topic? Bugmen, troons, the great replacement? Maybe some Curtis Yarvin style fascism? Very interesting stuff.
I don't get it. You some kind of weirdo?

e.cantona

Probably, but not as weird as that fascist Lomez. The performative empty aesthetics is pretty tiring, though, but expected from someone who hangs out with Moldbug.
You're really into this stuff, huh?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Hi, I'm Eyepopper, a white Caucasian male, wearing a black sweater, khaki slacks, with a visible erection protruding from them.... that tells you everything about how excited I am to be here today!

NotThatSoph

Those Microsoft videos are for the visually impaired.

No doubt Shapiro/Crowder/Jeremy Griggs will have a 10 plus minute video on YouTube about it.
It's pretty weird how people here don't even react to them describing hair colour, beard, glasses, but because they include skin colour then there's suddenly some agenda at play. The video is awkward, sure, but it has absolutely nothing to do with PC gone mad.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Well that’s weird. Presumably for benefit of blind people?

Side note. They didn’t declare their pronouns.
They did declare their pronouns. Why would the blind people give a shit about how they look like? Do they even what a caucasian guy looks like?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They did declare their pronouns. Why would the blind people give a shit about how they look like?
Not in the second video.

And presumably it helps them have a mental picture of what they’re hearing? Although hard not to suspect this is done for performative reasons rather than a load of visually impaired folk desperately in need of the descriptions.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not in the second video.

And presumably it helps them have a mental picture of what they’re hearing? Although hard not to suspect this is done for performative reasons rather than a load of visually impaired folk desperately in need of the descriptions.
But if they are born blind, can they even visualize people?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
They did declare their pronouns. Why would the blind people give a shit about how they look like? Do they even what a caucasian guy looks like?
Presenter: "I'm wearing a red shirt."

Blind people: "What's red?"

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Presenter: "I'm wearing a red shirt."

Blind people: "What's red?"
I've always wondered that.

If a person goes blind through illness/accident they at least still have the concept of colour, objects etc. but to be blind from birth and to not have a clue what yellow is or something like that, blows my fecking mind.

NotThatSoph

Is it Lomez or Balaji Srinivasan who is altright?
Lomez. Second guy is some Silicon Valley tech bro. Both connected to Peter Thiel, though, but Lomez very pheripherally I think. Neither very fond of democracy.