Has Ronaldo just settled current generation's GOAT debate?

Has Ronaldo just settled the current generation's GOAT debate?

• Total voters

Cal?

CR7 fan
Payet, Greizmann, Bale, Nani, Kroos, Ozil have all been bigger threats. (Off the top of my head.)
If you take away all their goals, Payet's biggest contribution to France's cause was injuring Ronaldo.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If you take away all their goals, Payet's biggest contribution to France's cause was injuring Ronaldo.
Lol I don't say take away goals. I say look at performances. Ronaldo had 2 good performances, which, as usual with him, coincided with games where he scored.

Loublaze

ATLien
Messi is a better passer and dribber. That's where it stops I think. Ronaldo is more physical, can head the ball, better penalty taker, better leader, better goal scorer.

But I still think Messi is the better player. Just Ronaldo the more complete player.
How is Ronaldo a better leader? Just a question. I agree with most of it but as far as goal scoring they are probably even especially as Ronaldo is more of a goal poacher/in the box scorer this days

baanke laal

banned
Payet, Greizmann, Bale, Nani, Kroos, Ozil have all been bigger threats. (Off the top of my head.)
Bale, Ozil and Kroos were not better at all.
Griezmann was definotely better. Payet disappeared after the group stages, so Ronaldo has a case of being better than Payet. But we can call it even.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi is still the best player of this generation, simply because he performs better while having similar stats.
But Ronaldo has managed to win it all with us, Real and Portugal, enjoyed both domestic and international success, which is something Messi couldn't match (could only win it with Barca). Messi has much more domestic success though, part of reason is his superior performances overall, and another part of reason is his superior teammates. For CL I thought they are more or less equal. (Ronaldo being all time top scorer and winning 3 CL, Messi has won 1 more but scored less goals.)

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
How is Ronaldo a better leader? Just a question. I agree with most of it but as far as goal scoring they are probably even especially as Ronaldo is more of a goal poacher/in the box scorer this days
He hobbles up and down the touch line tapping at his wrist. Ronaldo is still a GOAT nobody can ignore it, just not on Messi's level.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The point being with the way Ronaldo played in the Euros he wasn't the best player in the tournament he wasn't even the best player for Portugal.

Messi won the Golden Ball in 2014 the best player at the WC but he wasn't on the winning team. Ronaldo didn't even get close to that in the Euros this year.

It's a nonsense argument to say somehow now Ronaldo is the GOAT he's far from the complete player, 5 years ago Ronaldo was a brilliant player now he's a shadow of himself.

Portugal has won the Euros, Ronaldo was a part of it, but not in the final. They were lucky to even get out of the group stages given the new rule.
Messi winning the Golden Ball ahead of James was one of the biggest jokes of Fifa under Blatter. Ronaldo is the topscorer and top assist provider of the Euro winners.

baanke laal

banned
Lol I don't say take away goals. I say look at performances. Ronaldo had 2 good performances, which, as usual with him, coincided with games where he scored.
3 Games atleast.

Also, you have to take into account his leadership. Like during that penalty shootout & also playing the manager from the touchline today :D

Martial

Ronaldo has now won more International Major Trophies than Messi, as it stands. Messi has lost all 3 International Major Finals.

That is something that will be brought up time and time again in the decades to come whenever either is brought up, whether it's deserved or not.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Performances mean f-all if there are no goals involved. You're beginning to sound like LVG when he seems to prioritize possession over goals.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
3 Games atleast.

Also, you have to take into account his leadership. Like during that penalty shootout & also playing the manager from the touchline today :D
His team played better with him off the pitch, doesn't that also speak to his leadership?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Once again I am amazed people are praising Ronaldo for shouting on the sideline while injured since I remember people clowning Terry for doing the same.

Sigma

He's a much more vocal person. He's just a bigger personality the Messi. Messi is the captain of Argentina and yet they've lost 3 finals in a row (world cup and 2 copa). Ronaldo has just captained his side to Euro 16 glory. That video of him telling Mourinho to take the penalty. Eder even came out after the final saying that Ronaldo told him that he would score. Him going up and down the touchline during those final few moments.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Messi winning the Golden Ball ahead of James was one of the biggest jokes of Fifa under Blatter. Ronaldo is the topscorer and top assist provider of the Euro winners.
James team didn't make the final so a Colombian player taking the prize wouldn't have happened, Renato Sanches won Euro 2016 player of the Tournament as an example here.

Ronaldo did have the most Assists and goals for Portugal yes.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/statistics/

Ronaldo wasn't the best performer for Portugal and it's a shame he didn't play today but I actually think if Ronaldo was on the pitch they wouldn't have won, Eder wouldn't have scored.

Funny how football works eh?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Performances mean f-all if there are no goals involved. You're beginning to sound like LVG when he seems to prioritize possession over goals.
Having Gerd Muller means f-all if there is no-one behind him. Ronaldo has become uni-dimensional since 2009-10, barring a few games.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Messi has been completely dominant where as Ronaldo not as much. Messi has 8 titles and 4 European cups. Ronaldo was dominant in the Premier League and then did one right in the middle of it to contanstly wash up second best in the league. In 7 years he has won 1 league title - really been in the shadow of Messi's Barcelona side since he joined. 5-3 Ballon D'ors says it all and Messi's lack of international cups doesn't change my view.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm neither a Ronaldo or Messi fanboy and I don't really want to get involved with the mud throwing between both sides.

But no chance was Messi the player of the tournament in 2014.

thejtrain

I don't think I brought Maradona's 86 world cup in the argument, someone else did.
But, Maradona did not do anything in the Final and depended on his teammates to win the trophy for him. That's a FACHT :D
He took them to final by playing brilliantly in the semi-final, just like Ronaldo took Portugal to the final :)
But, but it's Wales, mate. Only proves he likes scoring against such smaller nations!

Champagne Football

Messi every time..... More of a team player.......consistently won games on his own for many years....no player has been been so spectacular for so long........came within a whisker of winning world cup......Ronaldo is great too but Messi is definitely the GOAT

Cal?

CR7 fan
James team didn't make the final so a Colombian player taking the prize wouldn't have happened, Renato Sanches won Euro 2016 player of the Tournament as an example here.

Ronaldo did have the most Assists and goals for Portugal yes.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/statistics/

Ronaldo wasn't the best performer for Portugal and it's a shame he didn't play today but I actually think if Ronaldo was on the pitch they wouldn't have won, Eder wouldn't have scored.

Funny how football works eh?
Actually I thought he'd have scored a header given the number of heading chances Portugal got during the game, but no one will know...

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Messi clearly the better player. But if I were to read their careers on paper personally I would take Ronaldo's.

Andy_Cole

Messi has been completely dominant where as Ronaldo not as much. Messi has 8 titles and 4 European cups. Ronaldo was dominant in the Premier League and then did one right in the middle of it to contanstly wash up second best in the league. In 7 years he has won 1 league title - really been in the shadow of Messi's Barcelona side since he joined. 5-3 Ballon D'ors says it all and Messi's lack of international cups doesn't change my view.
It'll be 5-4 soon I think.

Zeki Zico

He's a much more vocal person. He's just a bigger personality the Messi. Messi is the captain of Argentina and yet they've lost 3 finals in a row (world cup and 2 copa). Ronaldo has just captained his side to Euro 16 glory. That video of him telling Mourinho to take the penalty. Eder even came out after the final saying that Ronaldo told him that he would score. Him going up and down the touchline during those final few moments.
What does Messi being the captain of Argentina have anything to do with them losing 3 finals. As in how does that relate to anything?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm neither a Ronaldo or Messi fanboy and I don't really want to get involved with the mud throwing between both sides.

Not the end all be all but, it was the highest rated player for the tournament by Whoscored's metrics.

Cal?

CR7 fan
But, but it's Wales, mate. Only proves he likes scoring against such smaller nations!
Right, Messi had that difficult semi final against the world's 3rd most populous nation. *round of applause*

Zeki Zico

It'll be 5-4 soon I think.
Really? I personally don't think it should. Was Ronaldo the best player at the Euro's? I would say no. Was Ronaldo even the best player for Portugal at the Euro's? Again I would say no and look at Pepe and Renato Sanches.

What are the parameters on which the Ballon d'Or is decided?

Sigma

What does Messi being the captain of Argentina have anything to do with them losing 3 finals. As in how does that relate to anything?
His team lost. Ronaldo's team won. People are only going to remember that in history. It's one of the only things I can judge based on their leadership as for club they are both not captain.

But even in their clubs. Messi is much more shy than Ronaldo. Everyone says it. Ronaldo is a better leader. I don't know how anyone can question that. A leader doesn't quit when their team loses like Messi did. How is that setting a good example?

Ibi Dreams

Yeah, I've always found it weird that people started saying this. He was decent, but nowhere near his Barca level and Argentina weren't that convincing in the whole tournament

ReDDHDevilS

This Messi vs. Ronaldo thing is so boring!

People who are in Messi camp would never accept Ronaldo is equal/better and vice versa. So what's the point of arguing over it again and again and again?

thejtrain

In fairness, I'm not really interested in this argument either - I really want to enjoy both players but I just happen to enjoy Ronaldo more and that's apparently a problem in here.

As for the player of the tournament in the WC - no you're not allowed to say that. You will simply be responded with:

a. random YouTube compilations OR
b. "he's set his standards so high that even his WC performance didn't look the best"

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Let's ignore the fact that Ronaldo started off at Sporting as a winger whilst Messi started off at a very dominant Barca side just to make Messi look better. :rolleyes:
Would you need to be reminded that Messi also started as a winger? Yeah Ronaldo started at Sporting (1 season) against Portuguese tier teams, not Spanish level.

A dominant Barça side, sure, in his first full season he got injured in March, and in the next 2 years that "dominant side" managed to win a single Spanish supercup. Now the kid that scored 3 against Madrid to save our ass and got dragged down by his teammates for 2 seasons was being carried by a dominant side, the things I have to read :lol:

Zeki Zico

I actually think this would be a good year for someone not named Ronaldo or Messi to win it. I would personally give it to Bale.
If you're basing it on form and individual success then you've got to look at Suarez, Griezmann and Pepe. Ronaldo won the both the CL and the Euro Cup but so did Pepe who actually performed a lot more consistently than Ronaldo.

baanke laal

banned
Judging by it's history recently, whoever between Messi and Ronaldo scores more goals and wins more trophies wins it. :D
With CL and any International trophy performance taking priority over the domestic titles.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Really? I personally don't think it should. Was Ronaldo the best player at the Euro's? I would say no. Was Ronaldo even the best player for Portugal at the Euro's? Again I would say no and look at Pepe and Renato Sanches.

The CL winning team's star player most likely wins it, if there's a Euro/WC, that counts too.

So, Ronaldo will win it at a canter.