Herrera confirms his departure

Member 113277

It’s almost like this video was release to create an atmosphere for people to stay behind at the final whistle tomorrow.
When was the last time we had a video on the clubs site when leaving?
The club stinks at the moment.
I would imagine it was club driven, to limit damage, by showing there are no hard feelings.

lsd

The Oracle
How many threads are we going to have on an average player leaving ?

Then again I suppose there's 100 threads on why we are so crap now so carry on

roseguy64

Another reason for a DoF. The club's excuse for not offering him a contract ages ago was that Mourinho wasn't sure he wanted to keep him.
Close this club down and put us out of our misery.
I'm not sure what the issue with that is? Mourinho was in charge of most of the football decisions. If he's not fancying the player then why would we offer him a new contract before opinions were changed? Would just be a waste of money like what we did with Rojo. Gave him a new contract and now we want rid of him a year later.

roseguy64

So we give into the demands of all the other crap players, but herrera is the one we draw the line at? The only reason the wage demands were so stupid is because we let the negotiations run down to nothing. Herrera re-signs 18 months ago, on a "normal" wage, and none of this even gets discussed. But alas, PSG could offer the world because it's a free transfer.

We are we in such a rush to re-sign young, jones, smalling, martial. Yet the only player in the squad with a captain mentality is run down to the last minute on a contract?
What rush were we in to re-sign those 4? They all had contracts that were in similar situations to Herrera's.

fallengt

Think this is harsh and I see him more as a 7/10 player who at least puts in the effort and seems to care about the result, but the point still stands.

I'd bin half of the squad before that 6/10 player. There's nothing wrong with it.

Water Melon

Good farewell interview by Ander. Time to.part ways though, the decision is his, and I will respect that. That as well as the fact that the lad did try his best and gave his all. Remember he told Mkhi to run into the box? I will never forget that. Take care, Ander, and all the very best to you and your close ones. I will definetely miss you.

Giggs86

Easier farmers league and a guaranteed title every season.
Guaranteed CL football every year with a good shout of reaching the latter stages.
More money.
Better city for his family.
Away from the circus and turmoil orchestrated by the grand muppet overlord Woodward.

Made the right choice, top lad and a top player.

crossy1686

career ending
We are talking about human beings here with their plans, anxiety and feelings. When someone works hard for his company week in week out then he shouldn't wait till the end of his contract to be given a contract renewal. That's disrespectful. Now if the employee in question is so lousy that no one wants him then he has no choice but to sign anything thrown at him. However someone like Herrera doesn't need this drama.

Now lets have a look at our situation. We lost a valuable player who suited our game for nothing. That means he'll need replacing. That's already bad in normal circumstances but its almost tragic at a time when you can almost count our talented players on one hand.

The club need to be decent with players while concurrently be more cynical. If a player has 2 years left at his contract then we have to decide whether he's good enough to be given a new contract or not. If he's not good enough at that point in time or he refuses to sign a new contract then he should be sold. No ifs, no buts.
Its club policy to wait until the final year for players over a certain age to stop complacency being an issue, looking at you Martial. Players coming to the end of their careers have to prove they are worth a long term contract and the right to play for United, we aren't a retirement home. These are all things Herrera was aware of.

He had a very lucrative contract offer on the table 12 months before his current one ran out, he chose not to sign it. He then chose to wait until January (when he could officially speak to other clubs) and garner interest in an attempt to bump his wage even higher at United. United refused to budge and the 'I bleed United' Ander Herrera decided to sign for another club that was willing to pay him more.

To keep insisting he was hard done by is an insult to any person that works 9-5 in the real world.

sugar_kane

It feels like a bad omen this, and makes me wonder what else is at play behind the scenes.

The whole situation is pretty weird, the club doing a lengthy official interview with a departing player is somehow a bit humiliating, like when Vidic signed an Inter contract part way through the Moyes season.

crossy1686

career ending
It feels like a bad omen this, and makes me wonder what else is at play behind the scenes.

The whole situation is pretty weird, the club doing a lengthy official interview with a departing player is somehow a bit humiliating, like when Vidic signed an Inter contract part way through the Moyes season.
Meh, it's most likely a lot of the lads who consider themselves 'good' players have their nose bent out of shape over the Sanchez contract. Feck em, we they're all replaceable. People will forget Herrera even played for us in two seasons time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its club policy to wait until the final year for players over a certain age to stop complacency being an issue, looking at you Martial. Players coming to the end of their careers have to prove they are worth a long term contract and the right to play for United, we aren't a retirement home. These are all things Herrera was aware of.

He had a very lucrative contract offer on the table 12 months before his current one ran out, he chose not to sign it. He then chose to wait until January (when he could officially speak to other clubs) and garner interest in an attempt to bump his wage even higher at United. United refused to budge and the 'I bleed United' Ander Herrera decided to sign for another club that was willing to pay him more.

To keep insisting he was hard done by is an insult to any person that works 9-5 in the real world.
That company policy is a joke but that comes to know surprise considering the situation we are in. Players are highly skilled employees whose services cost millions. After their contract end they can move elsewhere for free. Letting a valuable employee to reach his last year of contract knowing very well that in 6 months he can speak with other clubs and in a year's time can leave is silly

Which is no surprise why the ones remaining under such terms are players who might be more suitable for a 9 to 5 job

Shark

@NotShark
Phil Jones is not responsible for the downfall of Manchester United since Alex Ferguson left. Behave.
And players like Herrera are?

Phil Jones obviously isn’t solely responsible but he’s been a crock, constantly unavailable when we’ve needed him over the past 6 years. The definition of a liability who should have been thrashed long ago.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Farewell to him. Gonna miss him badly.

One of our few players with the level of will to win we need.

Too bad his time in the club coincided with a bunch of useless twats (inside and outside the field). To think he was benched for fecking Fellaini plenty times.

Anyway, he always gave his 100% and I thanks him for that. Wish him the best in his future.

Shark

@NotShark
Where did I say that? I quoted a post that says Phil Jones is the reason the club is a mess.
I was replying to a post stating that average players like Herrera are the reason. I edited my post above by the way.

crossy1686

career ending
I was replying to a post stating that average players like Herrera are the reason. I edited my post above by the way.
Ah okay.

Well Herrera was offered a contract, he wasn't allowed to leave, he chose to leave, there's a difference. We obviously wanted him around due to his ability and influence off the pitch. I'd also say that the Fergie lot are still around due to their influence off the pitch as there's no real evidence on the pitch as to why they're still at the club.

Phil Jones is a decent stand in when fit, but he shouldn't be first choice. I think people have forgotten the likes of Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Mikel Silvestre, Richie De Laet, Alexander Buttner and Quintin Fortune used to play defensive roles for us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a tightrope for the board at times.
Sign a player on for years, and they get the abuse for doing it, and the hassle of their level dropping and us being unable to shift them on.

Be cautious and don't throw silly money at it, and they leave - and they then get loads of abuse.

Imagine if we'd just allowed him 200k a week for 4 years, and in 1 year he's dropped off a cliff?

We signed Matic because Herrera didn't quite do enough for us. That should be remembered. That Matic then fell away a bit doesn't affect it - we still need more in the midfield.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not sure what the issue with that is? Mourinho was in charge of most of the football decisions. If he's not fancying the player then why would we offer him a new contract before opinions were changed? Would just be a waste of money like what we did with Rojo. Gave him a new contract and now we want rid of him a year later.
I agree. You can't really blame the club if the coach didn't want him. But that's why the coach should not be in charge of squad building. There needs to be continuity.

Water Melon

How lucrative was that contract that he did not sign? Who approached Ander 12 months ago with that contract? Any reliable sources or are those just assumptions?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Not a top level midfielder by any stretch, but like it or not, was one of our most consistent and solid players over the last 6 years.
Should’ve been offered a new deal 2 years ago, but at this point we did the right thing for not matching PSG’s offer.

crossy1686

career ending
How lucrative was that contract that he did not sign? Who approached Ander 12 months ago with that contract? Any reliable sources or are those just assumptions?
My entire post is based on all the reports that have been coming out of Old Trafford since the PSG thing came to light. Do a quick Google if you think I've made any of it up.

Water Melon

My entire post is based on all the reports that have been coming out of Old Trafford since the PSG thing came to light. Do a quick Google if you think I've made any of it up.
So those are just assumptions? Not facts at all. Or shall I side with a rumour from a journalist that Ander was informed about his contract extension from a letter sent by post?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He is the only resemblance of a midfield we’ve had over the years. Crumbling.

crossy1686

career ending
So those are just assumptions? Not facts at all. Or shall I side with a rumour from a journalist that Ander learned about his contract by a letter sent by post?
Do whatever you want.

If you want to believe a millionaire footballer was hard done by because it suits your narrative, that's your choice.

Alex1982

Good video.

Can think of 15 players I’d have let go before him. Not the most talented super star around but a player who was a true Man Utd player.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Bit gutted really. Seems like Ander was one of a handful who gave a shit. He also seemed pretty down to earth and well grounded unlike the immature mob in our squad.

mu4c_20le

Can't fault his effort when he was here, had some very good games and a few quiet ones. Good luck and enjoy that psg money, youve earned it.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Phil Jones obviously isn’t solely responsible but he’s been a crock, constantly unavailable when we’ve needed him over the past 6 years. The definition of a liability who should have been thrashed long ago.
And one of the times we needed him to step up, he fecks up our FA Cup against Chelsea.

Patrick08

Last month it was reported he rejected 200k which is seemingly more than P$G offered now but just with less years

Poor facts turning to save face. No body is offering him 300 m, turning 30 is a poor excuse when he was hardest worker in the team.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Herrera is one of the players I would have kept, if anything to be a good squad option. But according to a poster, Herrera or his agent was asking for $200k. That’s insane if you ask me. I don’t blame them though especially with the outrageous contracts offered to others. Hope he does well and I’d like to keep up with him.

Water Melon

Do whatever you want.

If you want to believe a millionaire footballer was hard done by because it suits your narrative, that's your choice.
Make whatever conclusion you want. Making things up in your mind again.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Never seen a player make a video like that for the fans, theres a lot of respect for the fans and the club in there.. I'm not sure he actually wanted to leave. I never felt like he reached his true potential here, unlucky for him to join in a period where we've not been a stable club, I think he would have achieved a lot more here in another era. Best of luck.
Meh. He played the fans right to a tee. He wants money which is fair play to him. But let's not think for a second that he loves the club. That's total crap. If he loves the club he would have extend his contract 2 years ago.

Fans these days, a few puppy smile and a few lines in twitter hook line sinker.

Red For Ever

Whatever anyone thinks of Jones.

He is nowhere near the top of the list when you start talking about who is responsible for United's problems.

He has had some great games for United, but he is a good example of how passion and effort are not enough.