ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Interval

Level
Dinesh Kartik is a shocking call. Provides nothing to the team. Even bloody Rayadu is a better call than that. You're better off with Pant because you can literally play him and Dhoni in the same team and have a better line up.

Backup keeping is bullshit excuse.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If Archer doesn't play the WC then I'd be very happy as an Indian fan.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Funny thing is that despite all that debat about #4 batsmen, they have picked 2 players who have underachieved at #4. Reeks of politics.
Shankar seems quite crap to be completely honest. Hes been garbage this IPL as well. As for Dinesh Karthik, well the guy has been around for 12 years and other than that over against Bangladesh last year, I can't remember one single innings of note from him. Our top should, in no order, be Rahul Rohit Dhawan and Kohli. Bollocks that these underperformers were picked.

Di Maria's angel

In fairness, I think Woakes's quotes are fine in the proper context. BBC have made it sound like he said the opposite to what he meant in the headline.
I reckor Archer could easily become Englands best LOI bowler. Hes been unplayable in the IPL thus far.

Di Maria's angel

Dinesh Kartik is a shocking call. Provides nothing to the team. Even bloody Rayadu is a better call than that. You're better off with Pant because you can literally play him and Dhoni in the same team and have a better line up.

Backup keeping is bullshit excuse.
Imagine not playing your test no.1 keeper whos far more suited to ODIs ahead of your 4th choice. I'd rather we'd have gone with Parthiv.

NinjaFletch

I reckor Archer could easily become Englands best LOI bowler. Hes been unplayable in the IPL thus far.
Possibly. 50 over cricket is currently his worst format though so I can see the argument that he hasn't merited a call up, but I still probably would provisionally pick him.

Interval

Level
Imagine not playing your test no.1 keeper whos far more suited to ODIs ahead of your 4th choice. I'd rather we'd have gone with Parthiv.
Exactly. DK, with all due respect to his quality, is an almost man if I ever saw one. He will get you some inconsistent 30s-40s and frustrate you some other times. At nos 4, that's horrendous. I'd rather someone else open and Sharma at 4

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I didn't watch a lot of the Aus and NZ series but I am shocked about what exactly happened with Shankar . How did a guy who has never batted at 4 and doesn't have a international 50 suddenly become the first choice for number 4. Remarkable rise really considering his awful start with India and his rather underwhelming IPL last year

Moby

Dick
Exactly. DK, with all due respect to his quality, is an almost man if I ever saw one. He will get you some inconsistent 30s-40s and frustrate you some other times. At nos 4, that's horrendous. I'd rather someone else open and Sharma at 4
Wut. No way. We need Rohit at the top to play those long innings if we are to put up a huge total or chase one.

Moby

Dick
But what if it means a big hole at 4 and 5?
Nothing can be done to remedy that now when we have selectors who play someone in the middle order for an year and then don't select him for the WC. It will cost us the cup. But the last thing we need is to disrupt the top order and make it weak as well. Like of Rahul wouldn't be able to see the new ball out and put pressure on the team anyway. At least with Ro and Dhawan, we can hope for good starts and a good platform for the next batsmen to come, who with a good platform would have a better chance to contribute.

Someone like Rahul or Dhoni if coming to bat at say 200-2 can bat without much pressure.

NinjaFletch

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Tom Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Surrey), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

No real surprises from England, as per reports last night Archer not in the squad but in vs Pakistan (as is Chris Jordan). Denly's a bit lucky to be going.

AshRK

If India crap their pants, will Kohli get the sack?
Yes he should be removed as the captain and shastri should be sacked. Also, end of the road for dhawan, dhoni, jadhav, kartik. Time to build a young squad for 2023 and it should start straight away.

Moby

Dick
We have the likes of Shaw, Iyer, Pant, Samson, Rana and Gill waiting on the sidelines, no shortage of young talent. Our batting needs a complete overhaul.

Dudu

Malinga removed as Captain. Angelo Mathews offered it but rejects it, so Dimuth takes over. SLC are a bunch of morons.. we have the worst board in Cricket.

Rumours that Malinga is planning to retire right away. Don't blame him one bit.

Cloud7

Good squad. Would've picked a seamer(if we had tried one) for Jadeja but otherwise I'd pick the same.
Might just be my personal bias but I really like Jadeja and would always have him in my squad. Can take wickets, get you useful runs and he’s dynamite in the field.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Just saw that Pant has been left out. Morons in charge, picking a poorer batsman in DK in his stead. Why would you not take the English conditions and Pant's recent form there into account? Why not blood your next decade's WK and give him experience, show trust in him?

Incompetent fools, the lot of them. No doubt Kohli has had a say in this, too. He undoes his batting contributions with his terrible team selections and abysmal pitch assessments. Good luck if MSD is injured, we'll be down to one reliable batsman and no reliable keepers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Malinga removed as Captain. Angelo Mathews offered it but rejects it, so Dimuth takes over. SLC are a bunch of morons.. we have the worst board in Cricket.

Rumours that Malinga is planning to retire right away. Don't blame him one bit.
The Sri Lankan captaincy merry go round is hilarious!

Interval

Level
The depths to which Sri Lankan cricket has sunk is scary. They're like the noughties windies. Random names and dull matches

Moby

Dick
The depths to which Sri Lankan cricket has sunk is scary. They're like the noughties windies. Random names and dull matches
Yeah, used to be one of the most consistent teams in ICC tournaments for a long while, and suddenly its like they aren't even in the discussion for title contenders and almost as relevant as associate nations.

zing

Zingle balls
I don't think it's a surprise. They're a small country without the appropriate infrastructure. I think in cricket all similar countries will go through these cycles till the boards become richer and more stable to put things in place.

kthanksbye

It wouldn't matter players we selected, Pant/Rayudu or DK/Shankar, our middle order would still be shite, and we'd have to depend on the top 3 to score heavily for us.
Shankar gives us a 7th bowling option and is a good fielder. Might as well give the captain more bowling options than selecting players who are as mediocre as each other.

Moby

Dick
It wouldn't matter players we selected, Pant/Rayudu or DK/Shankar, our middle order would still be shite, and we'd have to depend on the top 3 to score heavily for us.
Shankar gives us a 7th bowling option and is a good fielder. Might as well give the captain more bowling options than selecting players who are as mediocre as each other.
Yep. Our preparation has been disastrous and no attention has been given to obvious weak spots. All politics and giving your mates a nod. That Kohli-Shastri double act is brutal.

I'm just happy they didn't take people like Yuvraj. :lol: wouldn't have been surprised had that happened.

Moby

Dick
As for the second point, nah. Shankar is a bang average bowler at best and on those pitches he'll be smacked around the ground. It's gonna a tournament dominated by batsmen and that's where that massive hole between 3 and 7 will hurt us.