ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Cricket really doesn't help itself, haven't seen any other sport being so precious about everything. Just go out and fecking play , it's beyond a joke

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't think this is going to happen. Not a bad point for both the teams imo.

KM

Has the game been abandoned?
They might as well. The forecast will probably get worse as the day progresses and given the poor to average drainage facilities in English stadiums I don't think the outfield will be dry anyway

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
NZ have been super lucky so far. Played the three worst teams in the competition, bowled first all times in bowling friendly conditions. The first time they face a top team they're getting a free point. Meanwhile their main rivals for the fourth SF spot are losing points in easy games because of rain. All they need now is to use the momentum and win two of the remaining five games.

JohnnyKills

This is a total farce isn't it. Wonder if the ICC will think twice about giving England a major tournament in future.

Appreciate that the weather is unseasonal but it's not like England is usually completely dry throughout the summer.

Still, at least it looks like the weather will break soon. Although India-Pakistan looks like it's going to be rain-affected on Sunday.

Skills

Snitch
This is a total farce isn't it. Wonder if the ICC will think twice about giving England a major tournament in future.

Appreciate that the weather is unseasonal but it's not like England is usually completely dry throughout the summer.

Still, at least it looks like the weather will break soon. Although India-Pakistan looks like it's going to be rain-affected on Sunday.
They've been given the last 2 Champions Trophies + a World Cup.

marktan

Surely makes sense to have reserve days or have backup plans to deal with the rain?

I mean it makes no sense, most of Europe gets rain during the summer. Last year was unusually hot and dry, this year it looks like it's going to be unusually rainy. Could easily see 10-15 games called off which makes a mockery of the whole tournament.

MJJ

India,Australia, England will be hosting the world cup and all other events for the foreseeable future.

AshRK

One cannot blame england or ECB. It's the ICC who is to be blamed. IPL in general have been better organised than this farce. Not having a reserve day is making them look even more stupid. And then you have ICC official defending not having a reserve day. I seriously hope they are called out for their sheer ignorance.

NinjaFletch

One cannot blame england or ECB. It's the ICC who is to be blamed. IPL in general have been better organised than this farce. Not having a reserve day is making them look even more stupid. And then you have ICC official defending for not having a reserve day. I seriously hope they are called out for their sheer ignorance.
The forecast for tomorrow is worse than today though; I doubt a reserve day would have helped.

There's not much you can do for persistent, set in rain that's dumped months worth of weather on the country in one week. Even the suggestion of having full on covers would have only probably have saved one game.

We've just been really unlucky with the weather.

AshRK

The forecast for tomorrow is worse than today though; I doubt a reserve day would have helped.

There's not much you can do for persistent, set in rain that's dumped months worth of weather on the country in one week. Even the suggestion of having full on covers would have only probably have saved one game.

We've just been really unlucky with the weather.
Sa v. Windies would have had a result if there were a reserve day. Even Pak/SL could have had some result if they had a reserve day.

NinjaFletch

Sa v. Windies would have had a result if there were a reserve day. Even Pak/SL could have had some result if they had a reserve day.
Possibly, but my point was more that they're not the magic bullet that they're being made out to be. In some instances they would have helped, in others the weather's been bad enough that it would have just seen the sides sit around for two days rather than one waiting for the weather to clear.

Short of playing in roofed stadiums we'd be losing games to the rain whatever was done. At the very least, at least this tournament format (despite all of its other faults) does mean there is a bit of give for teams to make up for lost time.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The 'it could rain on reserve days' narrative is proper lame. Like saying there's no point wearing a seat belt because there are no guarantees it would save you.

AshRK

Possibly, but my point was more that they're not the magic bullet that they're being made out to be. In some instances they would have helped, in others the weather's been bad enough that it would have just seen the sides sit around for two days rather than one waiting for the weather to clear.

Short of playing in roofed stadiums we'd be losing games to the rain whatever was done. At the very least, at least this tournament format (despite all of its other faults) does mean there is a bit of give for teams to make up for lost time.
The point is it's better to have a reserve day than not having at all.

NinjaFletch

The point is it's better to have a reserve day than not having at all.
Sure, but we've already discussed the tournament logistics before. It's a long tournament as it is and the ICC (whether you trust them or not is up to you) have said they couldn't be done without making the tournament longer. If we'd had them and had a tournament dragging on two months and the weather of last summer people would be complaining that an over-cautious ICC approach had sucked the life out of the tournament.

I think in this tournament format they just aren't feasible to complete the tournament in a timescale people would be happy with. I don't really like the format anyway (it seems to me entirely designed to make sure India play as many games as possible for that sweet, sweet TV revenue), but it is what it is. The extended group stage is, in some ways, its own rain policy. If the tournament was a different format then the argument for them becomes stronger.

KM

So this is done. I'd have taken three points from matches against NZ and Australia.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Hope this joke of a country and board don't get to host another ICC event for next 2-3 decades.

KM

The rains are obviously unlucky but really the drainage facilities seem to be a disgrace. The Pakistan Lanka match should have happened as there was no rain for the last two hours.

KM

The points he make is very valid but converting the start into a big one just seems funny when coming from Afridi :lol:

AshRK

Some good points. WC comes once in 4 years and yet they cannot organize a competition properly.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Sure, but we've already discussed the tournament logistics before. It's a long tournament as it is and the ICC (whether you trust them or not is up to you) have said they couldn't be done without making the tournament longer. If we'd had them and had a tournament dragging on two months and the weather of last summer people would be complaining that an over-cautious ICC approach had sucked the life out of the tournament.

I think in this tournament format they just aren't feasible to complete the tournament in a timescale people would be happy with. I don't really like the format anyway (it seems to me entirely designed to make sure India play as many games as possible for that sweet, sweet TV revenue), but it is what it is. The extended group stage is, in some ways, its own rain policy. If the tournament was a different format then the argument for them becomes stronger.
If you can't have reserve days in this format. Then don't use this format in a country where rains are likely. 4 abandoned games is unprecedented in WC. Worse the count will definitely increase. Both India Pak and SA Afg also look dicey right now.

KM

Sums up the shambles that is this world cup.

AshRK

Can they just stop the WC and restart it later. July-Aug is a good time to play in England. Feck Ashes who cares about that anyways. ;)

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Can they just stop the WC and restart it later. July-Aug is a good time to play in England. Feck Ashes who cares about that anyways. ;)
Rainfall is generally higher in July-Aug than in June. This isn't a case of the World Cup being bumped for the Ashes in prime time space.

marktan

Hope this joke of a country and board don't get to host another ICC event for next 2-3 decades.
Last year don't think it rained once in June, the whole summer it barely rained over 3-4 months all over Europe where there were heatwaves. It's just unlucky, but still this is Europe where summers can be rainy - they should prepare for weather. Surely someone thought, hang on, what if it rains 7 days in a row?

Look at Mumbai - over the next 14 days most of it is rain. I don't even watch cricket much but can't believe a major tournament in a major sport is being derailed because no one thought to plan for the weather.