ICC World T20 2016

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They are very poor, these days. Time was (not that long back) they were one of the better associate nations.

DOTA

They did finish top of their qualifying group to be fair (admittedly losing to the Netherlands and Afghanistan).
They seem to lose to the latter pretty consistently, from what I've seen.

NinjaFletch

fecking brainless by Sharif after that partnership had dragged them back into it a bit.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I followed the qualifiers last summer thinking 'good on these six nations, finally they'll get to play the big boys'. I was out-and-out shocked when I saw the groups for this WT20. My expectation was 4x4 groups which would have been awesome for the associates but basically these countries are qualifying to play qualifiers.

Mommsen said it well yesterday. They won the qualifiers last year and their reward? Play more qualifiers against the same nations they faced last year! ICC are a farce.

Neutral

BTV
ICC are cnuts. I knew next to nothing about cricket prior to the 96 WC...and am still not a massive fan.

But, no world sporting body does more to hurt itself than the ICC. While the IRB does all it can to spread the game - the ICC in the same of 'competition' continues to deny access to nations.

It's all good though...the game doesn't need anyone other than India and Australia :lol:

DOTA

ICC are cnuts. I knew next to nothing about cricket prior to the 96 WC...and am still not a massive fan.

But, no world sporting body does more to hurt itself than the ICC. While the IRB does all it can to spread the game - the ICC in the same of 'competition' continues to deny access to nations.

It's all good though...the game doesn't need anyone other than India and Australia :lol:
It needs India, Australia, England and South Africa. It also needs Pakistan, to keep the Indians interested.

Also, FIFA are worse than the ICC.

You're entirely right, on your general point, though. Time and time again cricket just seems to assume no one outside the test nations cares and acts as if that is the case. That is not how you grow a sport, that is currently more marketable than it's ever been, thanks to how watchable to an outsider T20 is.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Real shame it's been limited to 12 overs, but hoping Ireland can manage a surprise.

Samid

I think Ireland can chase 110 with their power hitters. Anything above that will be very hard.

Neutral

BTV
It needs India, Australia, England and South Africa. It also needs Pakistan, to keep the Indians interested.

Also, FIFA are worse than the ICC.

You're entirely right, on your general point, though. Time and time again cricket just seems to assume no one outside the test nations cares and acts as if that is the case. That is not how you grow a sport, that is currently more marketable than it's ever been, thanks to how watchable to an outsider T20 is.
FIFA is corrupt and obviously the bidding for World Cups highlights that...but in terms of spreading the game, it does a ton of work. It spends an absolute fortune on grassroots and trying to develop the game across the globe.

Looking from the outside in - Obviously India-Pakistan is still an incredible rivalry and neither nation wants to lose to the other...but, I'd say Indians look forward to their team playing Australia more than Pakistan now.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Having seen the fielding in their last match, I'm not sure they'll keep it below 110 even in a 72 ball match :lol: That last over was comical.

DOTA

FIFA is corrupt and obviously the bidding for World Cups highlights that...but in terms of spreading the game, it does a ton of work. It spends an absolute fortune on grassroots and trying to develop the game across the globe.

Looking from the outside in - Obviously India-Pakistan is still an incredible rivalry and neither nation wants to lose to the other...but, I'd say Indians look forward to their team playing Australia more than Pakistan now.
On the first point - FIFA gives a lot of money to smaller nations because of its fecked up voting structure, that means tiny uninterested countries have the same power as large football mad ones... but you'll know this as well as I do. The ideal leadership is a healthy balance.

I'd be very surprised if Indian fans were more determined to see their team beat the Aussies than Pakistan!

DOTA

Bangla going very well here.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking rain. Maybe Ireland will limit them to under 110 after all :lol:

prath92

Bangladesh are too good for these qualifiers. I mean on current form they have more chance of winning the World Cup than SL and all frankly

Samid

If they go out there again I guess Ireland will need 70-80 from 5 overs. No chance chasing that.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Ireland need 108 from 8 overs :houllier:

DOTA

Over.

Harsh on Ireland but then they should never have lost to Oman.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
ICC seems to be the only administrative global sports body who's not interested in widening it's game. Incorporating these associate teams even in the local cricketing leagues with help a lot but not anything has been done.

Heck I'm sure even if they invite these associate countries to play the A or B teams that'd prolly help a lot too.

DOTA

ICC seems to be the only administrative global sports body who's not interested in widening it's game. Incorporating these associate teams even in the local cricketing leagues with help a lot but not anything has been done.

Heck I'm sure even if they invite these associate countries to play the A or B teams that'd prolly help a lot too.
We (English county cricket) had Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands play in our one day tournament. It didn't work, largely because their best players were already playing for other counties.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I actually want 2007 ODI WC format to be followed, not the super 8 crap, but the 4x4 groups. Gives realistic chance to a minnow to qualify. No one wants to see Ind, Aus, SA/SL and Pak/NZ always being the semifinalists. Its boring and one of the main reasons many people have stopped following cricket closely.

NinjaFletch

We (English county cricket) had Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands play in our one day tournament. It didn't work, largely because their best players were already playing for other counties.
And also because they didn't want to be seen as a glorified county rather than a country in their own right.

It's difficult, at the very least now teams are tending to tour Ireland as warm up to England fixtures so they're getting at least a little bit of cricket. Scotland have got fecking no one to play all summer I don't think, which is sad, and the same is true for the Netherlands too.

The real difficulty is that the window for these guys to get games is so crammed. I don't think theres enough cash in it for any team to come and tour Ireland, say, outside of an England tour.

It was very disappointing the other month that when England played HK and UAE before the Pak series they weren't televised or treated as proper matches because England didn't want to pay the T20i match fees to its players.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Whatever happened to Kenya?!? Not even in the qualifiers these days.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Poor shot to get out there, but he's set his team up with that 40 off 23.

Samid

One series that I remember fondly is when Pakistan played two games in Ireland before the last Champions Trophy in England. Kevin O'Brien hitting Ajmal for a last ball four to tie the game. In the second game Ireland being well on top before a late six hitting show by Wahab. Ireland showed they are competitive against rapid pace and quality spin. Joyce hitting a century in one of the games and I think Stirling doing so in the other. It was a refreshing mini series.

These series should happen on a regular basis, not only before teams tour England. I think PCB have promised heightened security for any team that wants to tour Pakistan. The big teams don't seem bothered so it is a good opportunity for any associate to make a name for themselves. Zimbabwe (full member I know) went there last year and Pakistan repaid them by touring Zimbabwe a couple of months later. In order to gain you have to give.

After a quick google search it seems talks are ongoing between PCB and Cricket Ireland and they will try and come to a conclusion when Pakistan play in Ireland this summer. It will do Irish cricket the world of good to play 5 games at an iconic and packed stadium in Pakistan and having Pakistan over for a full series.

Samid

England seamers getting a serious beating. Jordan and Plunkett don't strike me as bowlers that will cause havoc on flat tracks.

These warm-ups should count as official T20Is, especially if both teams agree to use 11 players only.

Samid

Erhm, that ball bounced in his fingers. Didn't touch the grass. Not the first time a third umpire messes up a clean catch.

He has 'conclusive evidence' that it did bounce :lol:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Great effort fromm Afghanistan. Should be more than enough.