I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

C'est Moi Cantona

We need to act now to stand any chance of making it, I do fear though we will wait until it is mathematically impossible before we act.

It'll cost us big not getting into the top 4, and create huge pressure to get into the following season, back to square one more more or less.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Remember: Favour creating smaller, more focused threads over massive, bloated, months old threads. No to megathreads!

Robbie Boy

A defeat to the scousers on Sunday could leave us in a pretty precarious position come the end of the weekend.

RORY65

It's amusing that generally the most pro-Van Gaal posters are the ones who were completely arrogant that we would make top 4. Almost suggests that they expected things to be going a lot better than they currently are.

Devil may care

Can't really see us doing it now, the game tonight was very entertaining and we created more, but you have to take into account how bad Newcastle are, we simply couldn't afford to drop points against one of the poorest teams in the league.

Robbie Boy

It's amusing that generally the most pro-Van Gaal posters are the ones who were completely arrogant that we would make top 4. Almost suggests that they expected things to be going a lot better than they currently are.
I'm not an LvG fan, never have been but I thought we would have faired better (slightly) than we have so far this season.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly can't believe what a mess we are in. I really didn't think we'd have this struggle going into the season. LvG and to be fair, the team, have really proved me very very wrong.

RORY65

I'm not an LvG fan, never have been but I thought we would have faired better (slightly) than we have so far this season.
I thought we would too and my point was a generalisation but at this stage I can't see us making top 4 at all. I think it's a lot more likely that Chelsea will finish above us.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Since beating Watford, after which we went top of the league. We have picked up 7 points from 8 games.

Calamity.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm now certain we won't be making top 4.

We'll do what we did with Moyes, do nothing and wait until the season is totally fecked and ruined and then sack him.

The club is ran by totally incompetent idiots.

Adebesi

Werent we all quite arrogant about making top 4 at the start of the season? Before a ball had been kicked, with all the signings we had made, how many people were worried we wouldnt at least equal last season's result?

But yeah, I guess I count as pro-Van Gaal, certainly relatively speaking, and I certainly expected us to be doing better than this.

LonelyFire

The signs were there before Watford. This league is an awful standard and we've been unable to score goals. Was only a matter of time. Its that point that makes the decision to keep him in charge all the more ridiculous

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't see Spurs falling off with the way they are playing, our only chance is if Leicester go into free fall and the rest of the teams on the fringe of top 4 remain inconsistent. There still is a chance but we need to get our sh!t together first.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
They were talking about the title . Didnt dare listen when some people said that the football we were playing would catch up with us.

Remember that ridiculous 'we are x points from top ' thread. That died a quick death......

I have always maintained that LVG is an above average manager, but he's no longer good enough to be winning titles with us. That's why I wanted a change at the end of the season. Sadly he's proven even worse than feared, and a change is needed now.

Owngoalscorer

Anyone would think we are the only team to have dropped points all season.. and remember we still have the traditional Arsenal "second half of season melt-down" and City's "we don't like playing when its cold" periods to come. I actually saw a couple of reasons for optimism yesterday - one of which was the general youthfulness of the team we put out with the only "senior" players starting being Rooney and Young. I reckon we will beat the scousers this weekend and things will look a whole lot brighter.

LonelyFire

Anyone would think we are the only team to have dropped points all season.. and remember we still have the traditional Arsenal "second half of season melt-down" and City's "we don't like playing when its cold" periods to come. I actually saw a couple of reasons for optimism yesterday - one of which was the general youthfulness of the team we put out with the only "senior" players starting being Rooney and Young. I reckon we will beat the scousers this weekend and things will look a whole lot brighter.
There is nothing optimistic to consider when you concede 3 goals to a team who are in the bottom 3 and who haven't scored in the last 4 games.

Like 95% of the league, Newcastle are piss poor and we made them look like world beaters at times. You are also kidding yourself on if you think there is any way we will line up like that again this season - LVG lost his balls after Leicester last season and it wont be any different after that last night.

Di Maria's angel

A win against Liverpool won't change anything. Even if we we smash them 3 or 4 nil. We're not changing. There will be no improvement under van Gaal no matter what.

Adebesi

A win against Liverpool won't change anything. Even if we we smash them 3 or 4 nil. We're not changing. There will be no improvement under van Gaal no matter what.
I appreciate I am being a bit pedantic here but I think this is excessively gloomy. We tried something different last night, something a bit more adventurous, and it didnt work out. If we go on and do the same at the weekend (which I doubt we will, and in that sense I agree with the sentiment behind your post) and smash Liverpool 4-0, that WILL be evidence of change. A one off game doesnt prove anything - two games back to back doesnt constitute proof either, but it at least suggests the beginning of a trend. If we did that I would be looking at the Southampton game with a bit more optimism. I am talking fine margins of hope here, not booking a parade or anything, but a chink of light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps, at least.

I understand the mood of pessimism around here, I feel as desolate as the next person, but for me it is always worth clinging to any shred of hope that presents itself. It is easy to dismiss it, of course. It would feel all too similar to that little run of games at a similar point of last season, where we played well for a short run of games and then reverted to type. So yes, even if we smash Liverpool, it would probably end up being something like that again. But still. Allow yourself a bit of hope. Its good for the soul.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
There is nothing optimistic to consider when you concede 3 goals to a team who are in the bottom 3 and who haven't scored in the last 4 games.
I'm not going to defend our defensive performance last night, it was poor, but 2 of their goals were pretty lucky, especially with the last one's deflection, and Newcastle are over-due some luck in that department, they've been creating chances of late, just not finishing them, until last night. That said we were kinda lucky to get our pen and they were unlucky not to get theirs.

Di Maria's angel

I appreciate I am being a bit pedantic here but I think this is excessively gloomy. We tried something different last night, something a bit more adventurous, and it didnt work out. If we go on and do the same at the weekend (which I doubt we will, and in that sense I agree with the sentiment behind your post) and smash Liverpool 4-0, that WILL be evidence of change. A one off game doesnt prove anything - two games back to back doesnt constitute proof either, but it at least suggests the beginning of a trend. If we did that I would be looking at the Southampton game with a bit more optimism. I am talking fine margins of hope here, not booking a parade or anything, but a chink of light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps, at least.

I understand the mood of pessimism around here, I feel as desolate as the next person, but for me it is always worth clinging to any shred of hope that presents itself. It is easy to dismiss it, of course. It would feel all too similar to that little run of games at a similar point of last season, where we played well for a short run of games and then reverted to type. So yes, even if we smash Liverpool, it would probably end up being something like that again. But still. Allow yourself a bit of hope. Its good for the soul.
Fair enough. Some will be positive others have resigned to defeat (in the sense that LvG is done and dusted). However, I have seen enough from this reign to know that one or two (or even six) good performances mean nothing. I will revert back to the City game, last season, where we may have held a slight hope of winning the league (just a tiny ray) and it proved to be nothing but a mistake. A run of 6 accidental wins. What seemed like a great foundation to build upon has not been seen since.

In fact, if we win our next 5 games 4-0, I won't be overly chuffed knowing van Gaal will probably do something stupid in the next 10.

Adebesi

Fair enough. Some will be positive others have resigned to defeat (in the sense that LvG is done and dusted). However, I have seen enough from this reign to know that one or two (or even six) good performances mean nothing. I will revert back to the City game, last season, where we may have held a slight hope of winning the league (just a tiny ray) and it proved to be nothing but a mistake. A run of 6 accidental wins. What seemed like a great foundation to build upon has not been seen since.

In fact, if we win our next 5 games 4-0, I won't be overly chuffed knowing van Gaal will probably do something stupid in the next 10.
I can see exactly where you are coming from. And you are right, it is probably more a question of personal disposition than anything else.

Di Maria's angel

And there's lots of games against average teams in that 8 as well.
Leciester - 2nd
West Ham - 5th
Stoke - 10th
Norwich, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Swansea, Newcastle - 14th to 18th (in no particular order).

Played 8, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 3, Scored 8, Conceded 11, Pts 7, Positions dropped 5.

Oneunited26

And there's lots of games against average teams in that 8 as well.
What does that say about VG? that managers with limited resources are tactically outsmarting VG, we factor in Moyes, we have had the 2 worst managers in decades

ravi2

TBF I dont think the majority of us saw how bad his tenure would turn out. I thought he would always keep us competing for the top 4 at least.
The real problem is Woodward is not pulling the trigger for whatever reason and we have not only stagnated but regressed, our football is almost as bad as the Moyes era.

Why doesn't Woodward or the board think its a good idea to fire LVG is beyond me, if it is purely financial and not that we are waiting on Pep on the summer then Woodward needs to go. There is no reason a team of the stature of MUFC has to be out of the champions league 2 times in 3 years and the 1 year we did get in, we couldn't advance out of the easiest group possible.

Woodward must be completely surrounded by yes men.

ravi2

What does that say about VG? that managers with limited resources are tactically outsmarting VG, we factor in Moyes, we have had the 2 worst managers in decades
Then the issue is who is hiring these managers. Our board and chairman have zero clue about football.
Ed acts like a fat kid in a candy shop during the transfer window...tossing money at players who have zero wish to play for us when we could be buying players like Griezmann and Aubameyang who have release clauses and would take us to the next level.

RedRover

Sums up how I feel to be honest. That spell last year looked like it might be the start of us clicking into gear - but clearly it wasn't. "Accidental" is the way I would describe it - occasioning by chance across something that worked - for a while.

There's often an attitude from some fans that you're as good as your last game - as if last night suddenly suggests that everything will be fine. We played well last night - but the way Newcastle set out to play suited us. They were never going to sit back and settle for a draw because the fans up here wouldn't have that, especially given their current predicament. had they sat back and let us attack we'd have probably had 70% possession and hardly any shots on goal.

I've got no confidence in Van Gaal. The way we set up against Sheffield United, at home, was disgrace and I don't think the players buy into to what he wants them to do. His way just hasn't worked and last night suggested he's desperate enough to let the players have a bit more freedom - even though it flies in the face of what he believes.

In terms of top 4 I'd take your hand off for 4th place now. I think our squad lacks quality as it stands and I think there are better teams (albeit maybe not better man for man) than us competing for that spot.

A major worry for me is that the players will "sleepwalk" through to the end of the season on the basis that they think Van Gaal will soon be gone. The other teams around us will be hungry to get CL football because its not the norm.

I think this transfer window will give a guide on where we'll be in the summer. I suspect of he's off then Van Gaal won't get to spend any serious money.

Last edited:

acrebo

Agreed. Taking the same approach and winning by a convincing scoreline would at least suggest that the coaches are finding a way of maintaining the attacking intention whilst being more secure at the back. Yeah, it would need to happen over a much longer period to signify a 'change' but it has to start somewhere...

I am, however, utterly convinced we'll return to boredom on the weekend. Last night was a chance to be risky against a poor team and it highlighted how poor we are when we open up.

Adebesi

Agreed. Taking the same approach and winning by a convincing scoreline would at least suggest that the coaches are finding a way of maintaining the attacking intention whilst being more secure at the back. Yeah, it would need to happen over a much longer period to signify a 'change' but it has to start somewhere...

I am, however, utterly convinced we'll return to boredom on the weekend. Last night was a chance to be risky against a poor team and it highlighted how poor we are when we open up.
There is very little I am really, really sure about at the moment, when it comes to football. But if I have a conviction about anything, it is that we will revert to type on Sunday. I imagine Van Gaal would rank last night as one of our worst performances under his management.

Oneunited26

Then the issue is who is hiring these managers. Our board and chairman have zero clue about football.
Ed acts like a fat kid in a candy shop during the transfer window...tossing money at players who have zero wish to play for us when we could be buying players like Griezmann and Aubameyang who have release clauses and would take us to the next level.
He probably thinks if we follow how Real Madrid do things, we can be just has successful, the guy is a clown. Or a better saying its like his dad was so stupid, he give the keys to the Ferrari to his kid, which woodward is the latter, a kid driving a Ferrari.

The Purley King

LVG tactically outsmarts himself........ last night aside, we have been completely toothless in attack due to LVGs safety first policy. We can expect a return to the boring shit now for the next few months. Thats if he doesn't get sacked, which he should have done a long time ago.......