g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He probably thinks if we follow how Real Madrid do things, we can be just has successful, the guy is a clown. Or a better saying its like his dad was so stupid, he give the keys to the Ferrari to his kid, which woodward is the latter, a kid driving a Ferrari.
But the Galatico policy didnt really lead to that much success for Madrid either.

Oneunited26

But the Galatico policy didnt really lead to that much success for Madrid either.
That is the problem with what is going on with the club, all about trying to sign names, and then when we do not get them which we were never going to, we end up with nothing, making the squad weaker than previous season. Look at how many forwards and wingers were allowed to leave without replacing the numbers

Sigma

That is the problem with what is going on with the club, all about trying to sign names, and then when we do not get them which we were never going to, we end up with nothing, making the squad weaker than previous season. Look at how many forwards and wingers were allowed to leave without replacing the numbers
Or we end up panic buying players such as Fellani/Mata. Or sometimes buying mediocre players.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
The differnece is we are just linked with Galactico type players. Real Madrid actually get them.

I don't see why people knock Woody for trying for the likes of Muller and Bale - it cannot hurt to try to get the sort of players we need and should have.

Oneunited26

Or we end up panic buying players such as Fellani/Mata. Or sometimes buying mediocre players.
And there are the panic buys
The differnece is we are just linked with Galactico type players. Real Madrid actually get them.

I don't see why people knock Woody for trying for the likes of Muller and Bale - it cannot hurt to try to get the sort of players we need and should have.
No I agree, but its not like inquiring, we end up wasting precious time on players who do not want to come here, and we end up buying at the end of the transfer window, look at summer 2013 2014 and 2015. If we followed through this during the fergie years, look at the good players we would have missed out on?

Fully Fledged

We need to get the players before they go to Real, Bayern or Barca. Once a player is at a club of that size and playing well the only way he is leaving is if he pushes for the move like Ronaldo did here. If he hadn't pushed he would have gone nowhere no matter how much they offered IMHO.

Chasing players from other top teams is an object in futility. They will only go if the club wants to sell or the player wants to leave.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

It depends how much time you invest in chasing near unobtainable targets?
For example this summer we clearly had dialogue with both Hummels & Ramos.
Got neither and entered the season with Blind at CB.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
It depends how much time you invest in chasing near unobtainable targets?
For example this summer we clearly had dialogue with both Hummels & Ramos.
Got neither and entered the season with Blind at CB.
I haven't followed when the Ramos story started and ended, but regarding Hummels, you had clarity that he wouldn't come at the very latest in the middle of the transfer period. Did you chase Ramos afterwards, or was Blind so convincing that LvG and Woodward thought that there's no need to act?

Crossie

Supports
Then the issue is who is hiring these managers. Our board and chairman have zero clue about football.
Ed acts like a fat kid in a candy shop during the transfer window...tossing money at players who have zero wish to play for us when we could be buying players like Griezmann and Aubameyang who have release clauses and would take us to the next level.
I get your idea but just for the records: Auba doesn't fit your description. He has no release clause and wishes to play in La Liga next because it's his boyhood dream (his Mom is Spanish).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I haven't followed when the Ramos story started and ended, but regarding Hummels, you had clarity that he wouldn't come at the very latest in the middle of the transfer period. Did you chase Ramos afterwards, or was Blind so convincing that LvG and Woodward thought that there's no need to act?
We seemingly chased Ramos all summer until he signed his new Real deal in early August, and our season started August the 8th. I think it was a matter of settling for Blind after that, him being the best option we had left after we missed out on the A-grade targets, Blind fit best the basic ideas LvG wanted from his CB. (Solid passer, left footed)

Crossie

Supports
We seemingly chased Ramos all summer until he signed his new Real deal in early August, and our season started August the 8th. I think it was a matter of settling for Blind after that, him being the best option we had left after we missed out on the A-grade targets, Blind fit best the basic ideas LvG wanted from his CB. (Solid passer, left footed)
I see, thanks. It'll be interesting to see which CB United will be after this summer. The Euro 2016 won't help to agree on a deal early.

Fully Fledged

You are giving too much credit to LvG and Woodward. Just because they had been told that they would not get him doesn't mean that they would give up chasing him. You only need to read the comments out of Bayern on Muller to know this isn't the case.

ravi2

I see, thanks. It'll be interesting to see which CB United will be after this summer. The Euro 2016 won't help to agree on a deal early.
Laporte fits the bill and has a release clause we can easily match, plus we have already dealt with Athletico when we bought Herrera.
IMO after ascertaining that Ramos was playing us, he should have been our plan B.

ravi2

I get your idea but just for the records: Auba doesn't fit your description. He has no release clause and wishes to play in La Liga next because it's his boyhood dream (his Mom is Spanish).

I am of the opinion that a bid of around £40m last summer would have all parties thinking seriously.
We should have bid for Griezmann before Atletico Madrid upped his release clause from £40 to £60m, but again, that is just my opinion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The realization that we won't make top four is beginning to hit me. Lose or draw on Sunday and it's over.

Crossie

Supports
You are giving too much credit to LvG and Woodward. Just because they had been told that they would not get him doesn't mean that they would give up chasing him. You only need to read the comments out of Bayern on Muller to know this isn't the case.
:lol: That's right, although I doubt that LvG can be blamed to a large extent. I'd think this is more Woodwork's undestructable hope that is to blame.

Crossie

Supports
The realization that we won't make top four is beginning to hit me. Lose or draw on Sunday and it's over.
Nah, you're way too pessimistic. There are plenty of games to play before you should loose hope. It may get harder though to close early deals until it's clear if you play CL.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Our performance vs NU was top 10 and not even close to top 4 IMO.

ghagua

Just re-read the first couple of pages in this thread, can't help but laugh at some of posts poking fun at the OP. That post was a genuine concern which is about to become a reality.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Just re-read the first couple of pages in this thread, can't help but laugh at some of posts poking fun at the OP. That post was a genuine concern which is about to become a reality.
Some were very cocky :lol:

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Exactly,those are the type of top players we should be signing not the Fellani's,Rojos and co.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly,those are the type of top players we should be signing not the Fellani's,Rojos and co.
You don't make these types of signings and you don't go after them. You only try to sign them when their clubs put them on the transfer list like Madrid did with Robben or when Kroos refused to extend.
In normal circumstances Neymar, Muller and Bale are not for sale and their clubs don't need money, they are as rich as United.

Gatti33

Our performance vs NU was top 10 and not even close to top 4 IMO.
If our performance against NU was top 10 then our performances against Norwich, Bournemouth, Stoke and Sheffield were bottom half of the championship.

At the moment we are no where near breaking into the top 4. There are easily 5/6 teams who are much better than us/more deserving of a top 4 place.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
You don't make these types of signings and you don't go after them. You only try to sign them when their clubs put them on the transfer list like Madrid did with Robben or when Kroos refused to extend.
In normal circumstances Neymar, Muller and Bale are not for sale and their clubs don't need money, they are as rich as United.
This is true.

You need to make the big money approach before they get to elite clubs.

Rob Bowman

I just went back and realized when the OP started this thread.

He should have played the recent Powerball in the US...

Omniscient :( .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I keep forgetting that we have to overtake only one of Leicester or Spurs. Such an odd PL season.

Crossie

Supports
Michael Caley's top 4 prediction model is based on expected goals from the quality of shots taken and adjusted to the schedule of clubs. Top 4 is still not out of reach for United:

itso 7

Too right, I wonder how people forget this fact - when Giggs, Rio, Scholes, Vidic, Keane etc were in their primes we didn't lose them but that doesn't mean there weren't clubs that coveted them. The only player we wanted to keep that we lost was Ronaldo but I'm sure if Fergie and the Glazers have to do it all over again they would do it differently and give him a crazy ass contract to keep him, that's what these clubs do with this type of player so you're left with Atletico, Dortmund and the Italian clubs as possible hunting grounds.
I think football judgment is more important that the player's status as the Martial signing clearly shows, you have to look at a player and make intelligent assessments as whether he can make the step up and influence your team in a manner that a Muller type does. So you're left scouting the tiers below whilst watching with keen interest any developments at clubs like Barca and Real with regard to who they are signing and who they are getting rid of and if they can fit your team - that's how Arsenal got Ozil and Sanchez.

Adebesi

Too right, I wonder how people forget this fact - when Giggs, Rio, Scholes, Vidic, Keane etc were in their primes we didn't lose them but that doesn't mean there weren't clubs that coveted them. The only player we wanted to keep that we lost was Ronaldo but I'm sure if Fergie and the Glazers have to do it all over again they would do it differently and give him a crazy ass contract to keep him, that's what these clubs do with this type of player so you're left with Atletico, Dortmund and the Italian clubs as possible hunting grounds.
I think football judgment is more important that the player's status as the Martial signing clearly shows, you have to look at a player and make intelligent assessments as whether he can make the step up and influence your team in a manner that a Muller type does. So you're left scouting the tiers below whilst watching with keen interest any developments at clubs like Barca and Real with regard to who they are signing and who they are getting rid of and if they can fit your team - that's how Arsenal got Ozil and Sanchez.
I dont think it would have been possible. Because we are not on a par with Madrid. Ronaldo wanted to go and there was nothing we could have done IMO. The difference is you dont get players at Madrid whose dream is to come to United in their prime.

Hed Zitin

Look at these shite performances over and over. We're fighting to stay in the top half. Thankfully the whole league is all over the place and we are where we are because of it.

Only the top four now have any consistency and I don't think that will change. Leicester have a clear game plan and they see it out, it's no fluke. The other three sides are simply better than the rest.

Roboc7

Top 4 is gone unless LVG goes and we buy couple of players, neither are going to happen though. We will bore our way to 6th this season.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
To add to your woes, Thursday night football won't help you either

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
United are not out of the top 4 race by any means .... not with a just a 5 point gap and 15 games yet to play.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Glaston will have to be banned when Spurs finish above us. He will be unbearable.

Expect us to finish 6th behind West Ham and Liverpool as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
United are not out of the top 4 race by any means .... not with a just a 5 point gap and 15 games yet to play.
4 games ago we were 5 points off Spurs and 'only' 9 off Leicester. Now it's still 5 to Spurs and 10 to Leicester, eventually the games just run out.

We (United fans) have to accept that we no longer are a 'top 4' side.

- Southampton who most would think have had a terrible season are just 4 points behind us.
- We're closer to West Brom than we are to the top of the league.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
To add to your woes, Thursday night football won't help you either
That won't be an inconvenience for very long.

Currently West Ham are beating City, pushing them above us in the table. Is it time to change the thread title to 'I'm worried we won't make top 6'.

Alex Styles

This thread is not really working. We need to resurrect the "Bye Bye top 4" thread from last year.