I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
United are not out of the top 4 race by any means .... not with a just a 5 point gap and 15 games yet to play.
I see you've gone the other way now...whereas If we were writing you off, you'd be saying how you were well ahead etc :lol:

Today was meant to be a home banker.

From those 15, we've got City, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham away and Arsenal at home, so plenty of room to lose points.

To be honest though, even if we get into the champions league, we showed this year if you've not got a good team there's little point bar pure commercial.
Not like you can only get the top players either, as we didn't get anyone this summer we wouldn't have got without it.

Ixion

It's going to get worse before it get's better and Spurs will be out of sight by then. We're going to be back to where we started 2 years ago. Waste of time.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I see you've gone the other way now...whereas If we were writing you off, you'd be saying how you were well ahead etc :lol:

Today was meant to be a home banker.

From those 15, we've got City, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham away and Arsenal at home, so plenty of room to lose points.

To be honest though, even if we get into the champions league, we showed this year if you've not got a good team there's little point bar pure commercial.
Not like you can only get the top players either, as we didn't get anyone this summer we wouldn't have got without it.
Of course, given that we're 5 points clear, I'd be disputing any claim that Spurs should be written off for top 4. But that doesn't mean I've now "gone the other way" ... I'm simply recognising that a lot can change over the course of 15 games and 45 potential points.

MoskvaRed

5 points is not a large gap in January. But Spurs look like a team on the up under a youngish hungry manager. We look like s shambles under someone counting down the time until he can retire in his Portuguese villa. In the absence of a meaningful managerial change (in other words, bringing in someone like Mourinho rather than a class of 92 jobs for the boys appointment), top 4 is gone.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Top 4 is truly and well gone. We won't make it to Europe at all.
It's going to get worse before it get's better and Spurs will be out of sight by then. We're going to be back to where we started 2 years ago. Waste of time.
you know Europa goes down to 6th, and I doubt we can be "lucky" enough to hit 7th!
I actually think we're looking at another 7th placed finish this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Liverpool, West Ham and Southampton jump above us before the season's out. I look at our remaining fixtures and wonder where the 'bankers' are and the only game I'm confident of winning is against Villa at OT.
Am I just being overly pessimistic?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I actually think we're looking at another 7th placed finish this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Liverpool, West Ham and Southampton jump above us before the season's out. I look at our remaining fixtures and wonder where the 'bankers' are and the only game I'm confident of winning is against Villa at OT.
Am I just being overly pessimistic?
I think you have every reason to be after such a poor result.
Losing at home is the pits, but to lose with barely a whimper, 1 shot on target? Utterly pathetic.
I wonder, did we actually lose games under Moyes with such a lack of attacking ability?

Jig1234

We were never making top 4 many months ago... The draws, clean sheets odd win like the one vs Liverpool. Just paper over the cracks of how terrible we have become. We waited until it was mathematically impossible to get top 4 to sack Moyes (Great strategy). That was then do we all think Woodward/board have a few more brain cells since then, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I think you have every reason to be after such a poor result.
Losing at home is the pits, but to lose with barely a whimper, 1 shot on target? Utterly pathetic.
I wonder, did we actually lose games under Moyes with such a lack of attacking ability?
I actually watched that video of all the crosses we made in the infamous Fulham game under Moyes quite recently and I found myself thinking 'some of those crosses are pretty dangerous'. That's how inept our attacking is at the moment.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah forget top 4, and it it means keeping LvG for one more second than we have to, then good.
The problem is, we'll have to wait until very late in the season for top4 to be properly off the agenda.

So worst case is missing top 4, and keeping him for the rest of the season

C'est Moi Cantona

The problem is, we'll have to wait until very late in the season for top4 to be properly off the agenda.

So worst case is missing top 4, and keeping him for the rest of the season
Whether it's lack of managerial options, blind faith, or Woodward's ego, this bizarrely seems to be how the club want to play it, so they'll just have to face the consequences won't they.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
what if LVG has a clause in his contract that he cannot be terminated until an certain minimum target is not met? Assume that's a top 4 position ensuring qualifications for Champions League.

That would explain why LVG is still seemingly confident about his job security.

I suspect that Moyes had a similar clause, hence the board had to wait so long before releiving him of his duties.

kps88

what if LVG has a clause in his contract that he cannot be terminated until an certain minimum target is not met? Assume that's a top 4 position ensuring qualifications for Champions League.

That would explain why LVG is still seemingly confident about his job security.

I suspect that Moyes had a similar clause, hence the board had to wait so long before releiving him of his duties.
This is just as bad as that "Rooney has to start every game due to a clause in his contract" theory. No club would give a manager so much power in his contract.

spwd

We've clearly got a better squad than last season, and the benefit of familiarity between manager and players. We'll get top 4 easily.
I'm surprised a van Gaal out thread hasn't started yet.
Who on earth is going to knock us out of the top 4? :lol:
We got 4th, improved our squad and now we won't make top 4. Brilliant!
This place can be pathetic sometimes. We have made great signings, players are now more used to LvG, we are most likely not going to repeat the poor start we had last season. We performed good against top 4.
I knew people would get hysterical and paranoid when we made our signings early and almost at the same time. With no new signings every week people will start moaning and complaining, and after a loss to PSG negativity is all over the place. Pathetic.

Joke of a thread too by the way.
Even if we played 4411, no way would Spurs and Liverpool finish above us lol
From page 1 :wenger:

Theonas

Scout
We don't deserve to be in top 6 let alone top 4. Having said that, there is no team in this league that fills you with confidence. The fact that after the diabolical run we've had and we're still only 7pts behind the best squad in the league; City is truly astonishing. we should be about 15 pts behind if there is a single decent side in this league. That is why we have as much chances of being in the top 4 as out of it. Neither outcomes should excuse this run we've had however.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is just as bad as that "Rooney has to start every game due to a clause in his contract" theory. No club would give a manager so much power in his contract.
We have publicly claimed we are not 'a sacking club' and that we always 'back our manager'.

In today's cut throat football world, these would just be meaningless words unless backed up with some concrete legal promises.

I'm not so sure as you.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One thing I am now certain of is that Leicester will make the top 3. They have a very good side that somehow works right now, plus the momentum and growing self belief.

Likewise neither Arsenal nor MCity will self combust to the extent that they drop below top 3; both squads have too much quaility and also managerial know how.

So essentially it's us vs Spurs and a few others for 4th place.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Of course, given that we're 5 points clear, I'd be disputing any claim that Spurs should be written off for top 4. But that doesn't mean I've now "gone the other way" ... I'm simply recognising that a lot can change over the course of 15 games and 45 potential points.
Much can change but at this stage you cannot escape the fundamentals.

All very well saying 5 points is no big gap with 15 games to go but all that means is that you can afford to drop 5 points, whereas Man Utd cannot. In other words, why would anyone on current form assume Man Utd is capable of putting together any kind of a winning run? It ain't going to happen, they'll still drop points and 5 points could soon become a chasm.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why has this thread gone unnoticed for a few weeks?
The OP's concerned have now been proved correct.
We are unlikely to make top 4.

pseudo_canadian

Had a really good shot of finishing 2nd-3rd had we brought Mourinho in December.

But now? I'm pretty convinced we're not going to get it, we've just dropped far too many points against shit teams. Oh wait, we're actually a shit team too.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
The thread title has been proven correct but most of the reasoning in the OP haven't really come to fruition apart from Rooney never being dropped.

Treble

The thread title has been proven correct but most of the reasoning in the OP haven't really come to fruition apart from Rooney never being dropped.
The OP was spot on about the whole attack, not only about Rooney. Vardy has scored more goals in the league than Rooney, Martial and Mata combined, ffs.

Amir

Because he was worried we won't make top 4.

No need to worry about that anymore, as we're just not going to be there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
when this thread was created, I thought it was pathetic whiny sh!thouse crap fan material.
I'm gutted now to say it was spot on.