Indian Elections 2014

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
BJP gaining yet another state sweeping Jharkhand. Great gains for BJP in Jammu & Kashmir as well. Most gains coming from Jammu region obviously.

The Man Himself

Congress-PDP looks likely option but a senior PDP leader just raised point of people in the state voting against NC and Congress and historic opportunity to have a govt in line with Centre. PDP-BJP are ideologically different, so it will be interesting if they go together.

The Man Himself

Initial big gain of BJP gone in Jharkhand but should still form government there.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Congress-PDP looks likely option but a senior PDP leader just raised point of people in the state voting against NC and Congress and historic opportunity to have a govt in line with Centre. PDP-BJP are ideologically different, so it will be interesting if they go together.
There is no such thing as ideological political parties, everyone is an opportunist and changing stances every few years. The only exception are the communist parties and they are getting wiped out because they're rigidly sticking to there ideology.

The Man Himself

There is no such thing as ideological political parties, everyone is an opportunist and changing stances every few years. The only exception are the communist parties and they are getting wiped out because they're rigidly sticking to there ideology.
That's true but it depends on whether parties see long term or short term. For ex. BJP and communists coming together hypothetically somewhere sometime will harm both. Not that extreme here, but PDP and BJP will think long term as well before forming alliance.
Congress-PDP don't have numbers on their own, they will still need 'others' for majority. BJP-PDP on other hand have numbers comfortably.

lol at Gulam nabi Azad again raising 'communal BJP' point in warning PDP.

MDFC Manager

Tbf they have no choice. Calling rates are already rock bottom. Expect other carriers to follow suit

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We really need a new thread for non-politics related stuff. Heck, we need another thread for politics as well.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
India MP Sakshi Maharaj: Hindus must have more babies

A hard-line Indian MP has sparked outrage by urging Hindu women to have at least four children "in order to protect the Hindu religion".

Analysts say the comments by Sakshi Maharaj, from the governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), are aimed at stirring up tension with Muslims.

Opposition Congress party spokesman Sanjay Jha called his comments "ludicrous and provocative".

Last month, Sakshi Maharaj said the killer of Mahatma Gandhi was a patriot.

The hardliner, who dresses in saffron robes, is known for creating controversies.

"The concept of four wives and 40 children will not work in India," the MP is reported to have told a gathering in an apparent reference to Muslim men, who are legally allowed to have four wives.

"The time has come when a Hindu woman must produce at least four children in order to protect Hindu religion."

The BBC's Geeta Pandey in Delhi says hard-line Hindus regularly accuse Muslim women of being "breeding machines" who have lots of children in a bid to overtake the Hindu population.

More than 80% of India's population is Hindu, while Muslims make up less than 14%.

But the Hindu nationalists insist there is a real threat of the minority community becoming a majority, our correspondent adds.

Sakshi Maharaj won a seat in last year's general election in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

In recent months, several BJP figures have been in the news for making controversial remarks.

In December, Minister for Food Processing Niranjan Jyoti used an abusive term to refer to non-Hindus, by asking people at a public rally to choose between Ramzada (children of the Hindu God Ram) and Haramzada (bastards).

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he disapproved of her language but refused to sack her.

The Man Himself

Modi needs to take better steps to control the hardlines. Such comments are nonsensical and detrimental to India.
Yup there are lots of nutters in our country to handle across religions, sects, political parties, this that etc. It will be tough to take everyone together every time and appease them. Need to put foot down when needed. He didn't condone her views but can't throw her out of party for that. Because of freedom of speech etc which is hot topic now. It is up to people not to let such comments by Sakshi Maharaj affect their thinking.

btw, we really need a different thread for Indian politics. This thread has run its course.

MDFC Manager

India MP Sakshi Maharaj: Hindus must have more babies

A hard-line Indian MP has sparked outrage by urging Hindu women to have at least four children "in order to protect the Hindu religion".

Analysts say the comments by Sakshi Maharaj, from the governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), are aimed at stirring up tension with Muslims.

Opposition Congress party spokesman Sanjay Jha called his comments "ludicrous and provocative".

Last month, Sakshi Maharaj said the killer of Mahatma Gandhi was a patriot.

The hardliner, who dresses in saffron robes, is known for creating controversies.

"The concept of four wives and 40 children will not work in India," the MP is reported to have told a gathering in an apparent reference to Muslim men, who are legally allowed to have four wives.

"The time has come when a Hindu woman must produce at least four children in order to protect Hindu religion."

The BBC's Geeta Pandey in Delhi says hard-line Hindus regularly accuse Muslim women of being "breeding machines" who have lots of children in a bid to overtake the Hindu population.

More than 80% of India's population is Hindu, while Muslims make up less than 14%.

But the Hindu nationalists insist there is a real threat of the minority community becoming a majority, our correspondent adds.

Sakshi Maharaj won a seat in last year's general election in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

In recent months, several BJP figures have been in the news for making controversial remarks.

In December, Minister for Food Processing Niranjan Jyoti used an abusive term to refer to non-Hindus, by asking people at a public rally to choose between Ramzada (children of the Hindu God Ram) and Haramzada (bastards).

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he disapproved of her language but refused to sack her.
:lol:

And just to balance (:rolleyes::rolleyes:) things out: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-leader-on-paris-attack/article1-1304454.aspx

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Muslim clerics, activists slam Yakub Qureshi's 'Rs 51cr reward' statement

NEW DELHI: Muslim clerics and activists have slammed ex-Uttar Pradesh minister Yakub Qureshi's statement saying he would reward Rs 51 crore to terrorists who attacked Charlie Hebdo office.

"We condemn Qureshi's statement and people like him should be put behind the bars," said cleric Maulana Mohammad Sajid Rashidi.

Community leaders say such remarks are made for publicity and defame Muslims. Some are planning to issue a memorandum against politicians who give such statements and do 'disservice' to the community.

Muslim clerics underlined Islam never allows anyone to kill and instead talks about peace.

"It's a very irresponsible statement and a crime in itself. There is no purpose for the said sensational statement except to gain publicity,'' said All India Muslim Majlis-e Mushawarat president Zafarul-Islam Khan.

"The government should take notice of this statement and ask Qureshi about the source of such huge amount of money and how the same will be remitted outside the country.''

He said Qureshi should be punished as his offer is a crime and seeks to reward and promote another crime.

Activist Abdul Khaliq said Qureshi announced a reward for the killers rather than condemning the attack on the French magazine and loss of lives.

"Such statements are more atrocious than the attack," he said. "People who give hate speeches, sensational statements must be boycotted by the community as these are against the basic tenets of Islam.''

All India Shia Personal Law Board spokesman Maulana Yasoob Abbas called Qureshi's statement "childish" and sought strict action against him failing which such elements would feel emboldened.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...1cr-reward-statement/articleshow/45830521.cms

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Quran recited in a Shiv temple

LUDHIANA: A Shiv temple at Bhadaur town in Barnala district of Punjab has turned a deaf ear to the shouting matches that politicians have indulged in over Ghar Wapsi and religious conversions in the past few days.

On Wednesday, a maulvi quietly recited the Fateha or special Muslim prayers inside a Shiv temple even as sadhus and Sikh granthis listened in reverence. The fact that hymns of the Quran were being recited in the backdrop of a picture of Lord Shiva did not seem incongruent to them. The temple management also arranged for utensils and other articles for the event.

The rituals were being performed as part of the ninth-day prayers for Shoket Ali of Bhadaur, 20, a helper in a house in the area, who had died in a road accident earlier. Ali's father is in jail for the last three years for his involvement in a murder case. His mother Shamshera Khan did not have the means to complete the rituals on her own and approached the Gyara Rudhar Shiv Mandir in the town to arrange for the prayers and they agreed.

Such bonhomie may surprise the outsider, but it is nothing new for the people. The temple's management has been welcoming other faiths into their precincts since the mid-1990s when the management committee was constituted. About three years ago, they opened a big hall for members of all communities to hold religious functions.

Bhadaur has about 250 Muslim families in a population of about 20,000.

Only in December, three Muslim functions have been held at the temple while Sikhs have arranged 10 events. The temple's managers say that by giving space to various communities, they are promoting universal brotherhood and strengthening the bond between them.

"We see it as a sign of communal harmony that exists in our area and we are proud of it," says Krishan Kumar, member of the temple management committee.

Ali Akram, Shoket's uncle said, "This was a small and personal event but it is going to give the right message to those who are trying to divide the people of the country in the name of religion."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ted-in-a-Shiv-temple/articleshow/45644988.cms

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
No allegiance. Best of bad choices, I should say. Maybe it is just the anti-incumbency attitude, but I am just fed up with the apathy and indecisiveness of the Congress.

Are they any other honest alternatives? Most of them have a criminal record. And Modi's has moderated a lot in recent times. He has changed and I will vote for Modi of now.
Famous last words of many a German in the 30s...
Is Gujarat India's germany? Of can Modi turn India into a Nazi'esque Germany? Ridiculous.
Alternative is voting for Rahul? He is an imbecile.
Any change in heart @Edgar Allan Pillow ?Just curious..this isn't a dig.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Any change in heart @Edgar Allan Pillow ?Just curious..this isn't a dig.
And vote for Rahul? Hell, no!

Modi's silence on domestic issue (ridiculous beef ban etc) is a bit of concern but really like what he did to our foreign profile.

I think Modi factor tends to polarise certain incidents which may not have gotten the same reaction had it happened under Congress rule.

No, at this point I still see no better alternative to Modi tbh! Feel free to propose any alternative worth considering.

Stanzin Lama

And vote for Rahul? Hell, no!

Modi's silence on domestic issue (ridiculous beef ban etc) is a bit of concern but really like what he did to our foreign profile.

I think Modi factor tends to polarise certain incidents which may not have gotten the same reaction had it happened under Congress rule.

No, at this point I still see no better alternative to Modi tbh! Feel free to propose any alternative worth considering.
Don't you think that is worrying though? In the last two years, we have seen attacks on press, academics, on women (live jihad), on students and universities in an unprecedented scale. The narrative of India has shifted from a secular inclusive nation to a hard-lined binary (with us or against us) State. As I see, there is a minimum of three more years of this and quite possibly five extra years considering Rahul Gandhi will still spearhead Congress by 2019 and if these tendencies are to continue by then, I genuinely fear for India as a democratic secular State. Just going through the HCU events now, what a time to be a student in India.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Don't you think that is worrying though? In the last two years, we have seen attacks on press, academics, on women (live jihad), on students and universities in an unprecedented scale. The narrative of India has shifted from a secular inclusive nation to a hard-lined binary (with us or against us) State. As I see, there is a minimum of three more years of this and quite possibly five extra years considering Rahul Gandhi will still spearhead Congress by 2019 and if these tendencies are to continue by then, I genuinely fear for India as a democratic secular State. Just going through the HCU events now, what a time to be a student in India.

I agree with most of what you said except the bolded.
I laughed at people alarmingly saying fascist, etc. before he even came to power and still don't think he is a dictator. If Indian democracy could survive an actual dictator for 2 years, it can hopefully survive a semi-dictator for 15 (hopefully 5!). And if secularism (the twisted Indian version) could survive a hugely popular national movement based on the destruction of a mosque hopefully it can survive these beef lynchings.

He has not delivered economically so far and to win elections he will now use every right-wing trick in the book. That is the reason they have elevated this obscure university fight by charging sedition, beating up students, etc. These students without this national stage would never have been a problem for the BJP. There were good articles about how immediately after the JNU incidents, BJP leaders in UP started saying all other parties are anti-national.

Stanzin Lama

I agree with most of what you said except the bolded.
I laughed at people alarmingly saying fascist, etc. before he even came to power and still don't think he is a dictator. If Indian democracy could survive an actual dictator for 2 years, it can hopefully survive a semi-dictator for 15 (hopefully 5!). And if secularism (the twisted Indian version) could survive a hugely popular national movement based on the destruction of a mosque hopefully it can survive these beef lynchings.

He has not delivered economically so far and to win elections he will now use every right-wing trick in the book. That is the reason they have elevated this obscure university fight by charging sedition, beating up students, etc. These students without this national stage would never have been a problem for the BJP. There were good articles about how immediately after the JNU incidents, BJP leaders in UP started saying all other parties are anti-national.
I really don't think Modi has any handle on this whatsoever. As it would seem, he is more of a muted face of the party rather than a dictator. It is the whole BJP/RSS machinery riding behind his name which worries me. Found this excellent analysis by Pratap Bhanu Mehta. Agree on most parts of it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I really don't think Modi has any handle on this whatsoever. As it would seem, he is more of a muted face of the party rather than a dictator. It is the whole BJP/RSS machinery riding behind his name which worries me. Found this excellent analysis by Pratap Bhanu Mehta. Agree on most parts of it.

That's a great video, I watched the 1st 10 minds and agree with almost everything he said.

But I don't think modi has no control. As CM he had the state BJP firmly in control, the state VHP subdued. He routinely arrested local congress leaders in cities where he was holding rallies. He micromanaged his ministers.
As PM he has a historic mandate. His right-hand man is the party chief. Party seniors are politically finished. The only bjp leader from the anti-modi camp who hasn't been retired is in the foreign minister and she has gone abroad less than he has. The rest of the cabinet at modi loyalists. RSS fully backs him.
There is no way he is not in control.

Stanzin Lama

That's a great video, I watched the 1st 10 minds and agree with almost everything he said.

But I don't think modi has no control. As CM he had the state BJP firmly in control, the state VHP subdued. He routinely arrested local congress leaders in cities where he was holding rallies. He micromanaged his ministers.
As PM he has a historic mandate. His right-hand man is the party chief. Party seniors are politically finished. The only bjp leader from the anti-modi camp who hasn't been retired is in the foreign minister and she has gone abroad less than he has. The rest of the cabinet at modi loyalists. RSS fully backs him.
There is no way he is not in control.
Perhaps you are right. I am less aware of the functionalities and personnel currently involved in the government and their allegiances with Modi.

It's his chuppi in all this madness that led me to my conclusion. Let me elaborate. Personally, even though I find the the ideology of BJP to be thoroughly distasteful, I have always felt that Modi is an admirable person. The way he branded himself and Gujarat, and the way he single-handedly won BJP the elections provides me with enough evidence that he knows how to do his business. As you said yourself, perhaps he micromanages his minister as well. So amid this persona of a person who should be competent enough to handle a nation, we find all these instances of gross incompetencies not personally by him but by people around him or from people related to the party. Surely, a person of his ability should be able to put a saddle on all these things in a more subtle manner instead of alienating such a large mass of people. After all, this ideological battlefield was also laid out in the Bajpayee era. Text books were changed then as well, impartiality of academia was challenged then as well, but this hooliganism is a new thing.

The Man Himself

Perhaps you are right. I am less aware of the functionalities and personnel currently involved in the government and their allegiances with Modi.

It's his chuppi in all this madness that led me to my conclusion. Let me elaborate. Personally, even though I find the the ideology of BJP to be thoroughly distasteful, I have always felt that Modi is an admirable person. The way he branded himself and Gujarat, and the way he single-handedly won BJP the elections provides me with enough evidence that he knows how to do his business. As you said yourself, perhaps he micromanages his minister as well. So amid this persona of a person who should be competent enough to handle a nation, we find all these instances of gross incompetencies not personally by him but by people around him or from people related to the party. Surely, a person of his ability should be able to put a saddle on all these things in a more subtle manner instead of alienating such a large mass of people. After all, this ideological battlefield was also laid out in the Bajpayee era. Text books were changed then as well, impartiality of academia was challenged then as well, but this hooliganism is a new thing.
The so called 'hooliganism' is done by the supposed victims and with backing of Congress and Left student unions. It is laughable that people actually believe that intolerance has been on the rise after BJP came to power. It is nothing more than the left and Congress are trying every desperate attempt to stay politically relevant.
As far as Hyderabad university is concerned, the hooligan students vandalised VC's office because they didn't want him in the post. Well some bunch of students, backed by political parties don't get to decide who VC should be. This is not 'intolerance,' it is simply maintaining law and order against miscreants and hooligans who act as victims.

As far as 'changing text books' is concerned, you can call it changing, I call it correcting. The changing was done by Congress. About time it is put straight.

The Man Himself

As far as economy, again current government is doing lot better than the corrupt Congress government for last 10 years. Every attempt is being made to improve transparency across departments. There is a ambitious project of making electricity available throughout the country and regular updates have been provided on that. The diplomatic relations with other countries are being handled better.

If anything, BJP govt's most initiatives have been inclined towards 'masses.' Which can very well be reason that every time a state election is around, 'coincidentally' the opposition find a reason to polarize people, especially minorities.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Voted for Modi but can agree that he's a bit disappointing. Reality is that he'll still win the next central elections because the opposition is such a joke. I'm hoping that AAP mounts a good challenge but the fact that they're so Buddy buddy with TMC is very troubling.

The Man Himself

Voted for Modi but can agree that he's a bit disappointing. Reality is that he'll still win the next central elections because the opposition is such a joke. I'm hoping that AAP mounts a good challenge but the fact that they're so Buddy buddy with TMC is very troubling.
Expectations from Modi are too high as well and hence it is possible to be disappointed in some aspects. It is also not as if they haven't done any mistakes, politically, in last 2 years, but to me, it is a government who has the intent and ambition to improve India greatly. One may call some of it over ambitious. All the more to turn those promises into reality is not a 5 yr job and in Country as complex as ours and with so many political parties, it is tough. Hopefully under BJP/NDA will get at least one more clear mandate in 2019.

Opposition needs to get better as well. Right now it is just destructive politics on their end and for Congress it is survival attempt. AAP, I initially thought had good intent at least, now I am not sure of that. Besides, unless AAP becomes a truly national party, there is no point in having high hopes.
For country, it will be better if that opposition is Congress, but reformed one, not one hiding behind Gandhi name. Otherwise, from 1977 till 1998, every time a 'third front' or coalition of regional parties has formed government, it failed miserably and it will in future too. More than 1989 and 1996, if 1977 is any indicator, people should always be wary of putting hope in a third front. Although in 1977 it was more of just 'second front' to Congress, not third. More than 300 seats and still couldn't last 5 years and there was split.

Stanzin Lama

The so called 'hooliganism' is done by the supposed victims and with backing of Congress and Left student unions. It is laughable that people actually believe that intolerance has been on the rise after BJP came to power. It is nothing more than the left and Congress are trying every desperate attempt to stay politically relevant.
As far as Hyderabad university is concerned, the hooligan students vandalised VC's office because they didn't want him in the post. Well some bunch of students, backed by political parties don't get to decide who VC should be. This is not 'intolerance,' it is simply maintaining law and order against miscreants and hooligans who act as victims.

As far as 'changing text books' is concerned, you can call it changing, I call it correcting. The changing was done by Congress. About time it is put straight.
I am not for Congress or Left at all. I am not even an Indian but it is a nation which I hold dear to my heart. From the time I've lived there and followed Indian matters, at no time has been dissent marred by such distaste as of now. When lawyers can beat up people in front of Court at the nation's capital and walk scot free, when people can tamper police evidence and no is arrested, that smacks of hypocrisy when trying to maintain so called law and order. Matters of student protests and hooliganisms have been a mainstay of Indian politics for a very long time. But bringing police into it and arresting/beating up of students at random (most of whom happened to be in the minority and Dalit community) is what has changed in recent times. As has declaring people anti-national just on a whim. Making India great is simply not a matter of making economy good (even which seems highly debatable at the moment), it is a matter of respecting diversity in India and including people of all backgrounds into the equation. Violating the autonomy of the Universities repeatedly does not bode well for promoting such environment.

As far as "Correcting" the text books, as you put it, I am not even going there. In a land of multiplicity like India where Holi is celebrated both to worship and demonize Holika on the same day, any contextualization on history is bound to be a political statement. Your "correction" is going to be someone else's inaccuracy (which perhaps includes mine as well). And coming from Nepal, when you say diplomatic relations are being handled better, that comes across as a tight slap on my face. I am sure Sri Lankan or even Bhutanese people will agree with me upon this.

Last edited:

The Man Himself

I am not for Congress or Left at all. I am not even an Indian but it is a nation which I hold dear to my heart. From the time I've lived there and followed Indian matters, at no time has been dissent marred by such distaste as of now. When lawyers can beat up people in front of Court at the nation's capital and walk scot free, when people can tamper police evidence and no is arrested, that smacks of hypocrisy when trying to maintain so called law and order. Matters of student protests and hooliganisms have been a mainstay of Indian politics for a very long time. But bringing police into it and arresting/beating up of students at random (most of whom happened to be in the minority and Dalit community) is what has changed in recent times. As has declaring people anti-national just on a whim. Making India great is simply not a matter of making economy good (even which seems highly debatable at the moment), it is a matter of respecting diversity in India and including people of all backgrounds into the equation. Violating the autonomy of the Universities repeatedly does not bode well for promoting such environment.

As far as "Correcting" the text books, as you put it, I am not even going there. In a land of multiplicity like India where Holi is celebrated both to worship and demonize Holika on the same day, any contextualization on history is bound to be a political statement. Your "correction" is going to be someone else's inaccuracy (which perhaps includes mine as well). And coming from Nepal, when you say diplomatic relations are being handled better, that comes across as a tight slap on my face. I am sure Sri Lankan or even Bhutanese people will agree with me upon this.
What lawyers did was condemned. It wasn't as if it was done by backing of BJP.
I am not sure what you are trying to say when you say 'hooliganism' has been mainstay. If those students who made hooliganism 'mainstay' think they can continue to do it then that's not going to happen. As I said before, it is not a 'student movement,' it is a political student movement, driven by student unions belonging to Congress and left. I am not going to take them seriously. I won't want them treated badly but if they are indulging in unlawful activities, they should be appropriately dealt with. What section of society they belong is immaterial, unless people think that being from minority they can get away doing anything.
The 'anti-national' label is not on whim. JNU students shouted slogans about 'armed movement' to destroy India and backing terrorist who plotted parliament attack. Similar was done by Hyderabad university students. It is crystal clear what is happening, opposition are trying all dirty tricks to disrupt and given issues like these are important to section of BJP, they respond, which is exactly opposition wants to spread this 'intolerance' propaganda.

You should read more about holi if you have doubts about the worship and 'demonizing' of holika. Otherwise also it is irrelevant point as far as history book is concerned. It is different topic but the amount of nonsense which has been put in history books by Congress and left, which is of course factually wrong, needs to be corrected. For those whom it is 'inaccuracy' should try to understand 'real' history of India and not what post British era left leaning intellectuals want them to believe.
I had more of West and countries outside subcontinent in mind when I talked about diplomatic relations. As far as Nepal is concerned, they should look into their actions as well. Every country ultimately tries to do what is best for them. I can agree that India's policies towards Nepal have been as per their own convenience but Nepal can't put blame solely on India for whatever the relations are.

The Man Himself

For a change a positive sounding article about BJP on Indian Express and relevant to above discussion:

An ill wind has blown across the Indian political-economic horizon. The Congress, having suffered an existential and humiliating defeat in the 2014 national selection, has decided to hit back with a vengeance typical of the almost-vanquished. For two years, the Congress has been on an obstructionist path, and it will not be unfair to state that a considerable portion of the Western elite English media is extraordinarily sympathetic to the Congress.

There are historical reasons for this sympathy — the “liberal” media and the pseudo-liberal Congress have been allies since Independence — and the alliance has been cemented via a common left-of-centre economic ideology. This can be easily deduced from the economic icons of the Congress and their intellectual comrades — Jawaharlal Nehru and Amartya Sen.

One of the reasons why the Congress lost so big in 2014 was that India has changed from being a poor economy to a non-poor, emerging-middle-class and middle-class society. That India was non-poor at the time of the 2014 election is easily established by noting that according to NSS data for 2011-12, and the Tendulkar absolute poverty line (near identical to the PPP $1.9 per person per day World Bank poverty line), the poor in India accounted for only 12 per cent of the population. Add to this the fact that the NSS estimate of average consumption in India, relative to average per capita consumption as revealed by the national accounts (old GDP data!), was less than 50 per cent. If for the poor, under-reporting is even half that for the non-poor, then absolute poverty in India in 2011-12 was less than 100 million, or less than 8 per cent of the population. A tragically high number, but a considerably less potent political force. The numbers, and the force, have been taken over by the emerging middle class (EMC) and the middle class.

India has changed from a poor to a middle-income non-poor society, which is the biggest transformation it has seen in its history, and something that is crucial to understand for intellectuals, policymakers and politicians. So while the Sonia Gandhi-led Congress was debating about poverty being equal to 800 million in 2013 (two-thirds of the population a la the food security act), the BJP, under Narendra Modi, was championing the cause of the middle classes (jobs, growth, development), and winning.

As part of this transformation, it is inevitable that there will be elements within the EMC whose social and political ideology is not conducive to development, freedom or true liberal values. Hence, the emphasis on illiberal views like “ghar wapsi”, “love jihad”, anti-Muslim propaganda and condemnation of illiberal students. But lest we pine for the old liberal order, just a few reminders: The old naam-ke-waste liberals did not support economic freedom in any form and pandered to religious unfreedom by not supporting a common civil code. What makes the old liberal attitudes particularly nauseating is that they supported the suppression of freedom for women, particularly Muslim women. Further, the old liberal Congress order was never for economic freedom and, in this, they were ably supported by the left, large elements of the UPA, and large elements of the regressive EMC housed in the BJP. Let us call the latter, without any exaggeration, the BJP’s very own home-grown Tea Party.

Thus, while the Congress has been obstructionist, the BJP Tea Party has been more than happy to accommodate the obstruction. Just note the unrelenting sequence of events in this battle between the new wannabe elite and the old established elite. This especially peaks around election time and then dies soon after. However, given that we have a series of state elections, the peaks and valleys are frequent. But since the same nonsense will not have the same appeal, the peaks are punctuated by different issues — “ghar wapsi”, student suicide and now student demonstrations. Each issue is trumpeted by the media as scaling new heights of intolerance.
Part of the Congress’s policy has been (and on this one must credit them with devilish intelligence): Provoke the BJP and lumpen Tea Party elements will be honour-bound to react with negative absurdity. And the chain reaction will lead to the BJP being broadly perceived as intolerant, anti-secular, anti-Muslim and anti-everything-but-upper-caste-Hindu!

A perusal of the newspapers, TV discussions, learned accounts from domestic and foreign “intellectuals” strongly indicates that this Sonia Gandhi-led Congress and liberal-left strategy has succeeded beyond all expectations. Except, now, it seems that the BJP has finally become wiser or, more accurately, less stupid.

Over the last six weeks or so, the top leadership of the BJP has enforced much-needed restraint on lumpen Tea Party elements. When, via utter and extreme stupidity, the BJP top brass came in with a sledgehammer to dislodge Kanhaiya, the old-style Tea Party demanded through its agent, Kuldeep Varshney, a member of the BJP’s youth wing: “I will award Rs 5 lakh to the person who [will] cut off Kanhaiya’s tongue.” Hours after he said this, he was expelled for six years.

In earlier times, this hatred would have been ignored by the BJP leadership, if not rewarded.

Further, two recent incidents reinforce the belief that the BJP may have finally learnt its lessons. First, in beefy Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis’s own assembly, a BJP MLA, Bhimrao Dhonde, questioned the anti-poor credentials of the BJP’s beef ban by protesting, “Why should you snatch away the poor’s meal?” Possibly shocked by these liberal developments, the Congress severely upped the scale of its provocation. A senior member of the party, the leader of the Congress in the Rajya Sabha, Ghulam Nabi Azad, taunted the BJP by likening its political associate (and some say its godfather), the RSS, to the dreaded Islamic State. “So, we oppose organisations like ISIS, the way we oppose RSS. If those among us, in Islam, too do wrong things, they are no way less than RSS,” Azad thundered.

Just weigh the import of this statement by weighing in with the counterfactual — what would the Congress have done, either today or when they were in control, in 2004-14, if their leader, Indira Gandhi, had been likened to the IS? Clearly, there would have been a furore, as there should be; but why is there no fury in the English media about this most irresponsible and “fascist” statement uttered by a Congress leader?

And now possibly the last straw, and the one that will proverbially break the back of the Congress’s obstruction movement. In a pointed reference to the Congress’s disruptive tactics, Modi said the following: “We should not engage in irrelevant issues. We should work on our agenda. Our rivals will try that we remain engaged in irrelevant issues and the government’s work is not discussed among the people. We should move ahead with one mantra: Vikas, vikas, vikas. This is the answer to our country’s all problems and we are working in this direction.”
If the BJP stresses both social harmony and vikas, what can the political opposition do to regain relevance?
As far as the last line, I think Congress and opposition will regardless continue disruptive politics. It remains to be seen how it pans out and how 2019 elections will go. It is long way away and things can change in politics suddenly, one way or other.

Stanzin Lama

What lawyers did was condemned. It wasn't as if it was done by backing of BJP.
I am not sure what you are trying to say when you say 'hooliganism' has been mainstay. If those students who made hooliganism 'mainstay' think they can continue to do it then that's not going to happen. As I said before, it is not a 'student movement,' it is a political student movement, driven by student unions belonging to Congress and left. I am not going to take them seriously. I won't want them treated badly but if they are indulging in unlawful activities, they should be appropriately dealt with. What section of society they belong is immaterial, unless people think that being from minority they can get away doing anything.
The 'anti-national' label is not on whim. JNU students shouted slogans about 'armed movement' to destroy India and backing terrorist who plotted parliament attack. Similar was done by Hyderabad university students. It is crystal clear what is happening, opposition are trying all dirty tricks to disrupt and given issues like these are important to section of BJP, they respond, which is exactly opposition wants to spread this 'intolerance' propaganda.

You should read more about holi if you have doubts about the worship and 'demonizing' of holika. Otherwise also it is irrelevant point as far as history book is concerned. It is different topic but the amount of nonsense which has been put in history books by Congress and left, which is of course factually wrong, needs to be corrected. For those whom it is 'inaccuracy' should try to understand 'real' history of India and not what post British era left leaning intellectuals want them to believe.
I had more of West and countries outside subcontinent in mind when I talked about diplomatic relations. As far as Nepal is concerned, they should look into their actions as well. Every country ultimately tries to do what is best for them. I can agree that India's policies towards Nepal have been as per their own convenience but Nepal can't put blame solely on India for whatever the relations are.
Why is condemning lawyers for actually beating up people enough and arresting students for chants necessary? In what way is violence more acceptable than chanting slogans? The point behind not taking political student movement seriously for such malicious slangs as you correctly point out (although as of yet no video has emerged where the students actually charged have been seen chanting India's barbadi, more so in Kanhaiya's case) that is where the issue should be left, to a non-issue. When two Union Ministers come out and speak in such a (non) issue, it immediately makes for a national issue which then is grossly over-appropriated. And now we have come to a situation where Kanhaiya is a national political symbol and rest of the JNU students are refused of flats nearby and widely condemned as anti-nationals everywhere. Why should a whole University suffer because of actions of few? I also doubt you haven't seen actions of ABVP in all of these episodes. Threatening professors and students, alike, they for days charged around the campus premise. Online, pages have been made insulting and threatening some of the most prestigious professors of these universities. The "anti-national" label is indeed a whim. Refer to Raina's tweets and him being labelled anti-national or in fact anybody who disagreed with the established rhetoric. I am not even going to talk about the role of media on this. I also suggest you follow very closely on what's going on in HCU atm. At least 29 students have been arrested, professors have been beaten up, and no one knows where they are being kept. Depending on who you choose to believe, the students were denied of internet and electricity for 48 hours. The issue with the VC (under investigation) and his need to return at the very moment is also a highly questionable political move.

And I have indeed read sufficiently about Holi and Holika. As with the issue of Mahishashur (popularized recently by Ms. Irani), she is a matter of differed opinions in various segments of India. As with most things about India, as your article puts labels him Comrade Amartya Sen (communists would laugh), multiplicity and diversity in opinions and cultures, as are many things in its history. It was funny to see sometime back when in India-Africa summit, African leaders celebrated Nehru when Modiji decidedly chose to omit the Comrade which is indeed a BJP revision (or correction as you put it) at its best.

The Man Himself

although as of yet no video has emerged where the students actually charged have been seen chanting India's barbadi, more so in Kanhaiya's case
There IS video proof of these video slogans. Not only at JNU but it was followed by Jadavpur Uni as well.

I very well know what is going on at HCU and I KNOW who is doing it and why. There is nothing 'questionable' about VC returning, some random bunch of student don't get to decide on that. ABVP also has goon elements in them and I anyway don't like the concept of student union in first place, of whatever party. Students should be focusing on study while at uni. That doesn't happen in some Univ and in cases like JNU, some profs too are sell-outs driving agenda, as they have done all these years.

The matter of different opinion is what you get when mythological events too are twisted, just like in Mahishasur case, which is hilarious. (Popularized by Irani, lol). No wonder opposition want to keep lower classes poor and uneducated, as they have done all these years, so that mythological events too become 'matter of opinion' and then conveniently used to create divide. I am surprised some educated people too believe that but each to their own.

FromTheBench

There IS video proof of these video slogans. Not only at JNU but it was followed by Jadavpur Uni as well.
There is evidence of slogans being raised but those actually on video raising them slogans haven't been traced yet. Expected to be kashmiri's apparently.a

Anyway the whole nonsense was overblown anyway by BJP due to political reason. When you see the hypocrisy of this all relating to Akali dal, Vaiko and PDP etc.. also North east.

Weird thing is Akali dal burnt constitution in front of parliament. Indira gandhi's killers are celebrated by affiliated organizations in Punjab and then assemblies passed resolutions for death row convicted terrorists in few states.

But what happened Badal was called Mandela of India by Modi and recently given padma award.

FromTheBench

AAP is being tactical ally of sorts for JDU and TMC is because they cannot survive in system as complete political isolationist when running govt. Especially a complex and ridiculous structure in delhi. Need support in parliament and also in terms of officers etc..

And that is the problem AAP will face unless it overnight grows into a pan India national outfit which is completely unlikely in FPTP system. And even if it does it would need complete majority to not get buddy buddy with other political parties.

Breaking the threshold in FPTP is pretty tough like that for a new party, let alone new party without that much funds. They almost need a national level movement to break that threshold like BJP got with Ram mandir thing or they will have to grow state by state where there opens up a vacuum and this will need decades quite possibly.

As for BJP they have been terribly dissapointing. I kinda expected the divisive nonsense given the core support base of Modi whatever face he wears on the campaign is RSS, And Sangh outfits and loony right. But even on the economic front, system reforms front or corruption front they've done shit feck all. It's just been rebranding of Congi policies including flip flops on everything they opposed in opposition.

As Arun Shourie aptly put it BJP = Congress + Cow. Cow signifies really the only ideological divide that exists.

Actually i'd go as far as to say that Manmohan singh with a full majority and poltical control would have been a better PM than Modi who is just turning out to be a tinkerer. Nothing compared to Vajpayee even who navigated much more difficult government and still pushed some path breaking steps.

The Man Himself

There is evidence of slogans being raised but those actually on video raising them slogans haven't been traced yet. Expected to be kashmiri's apparently.a

Anyway the whole nonsense was overblown anyway by BJP due to political reason. When you see the hypocrisy of this all relating to Akali dal, Vaiko and PDP etc.. also North east.

Weird thing is Akali dal burnt constitution in front of parliament. Indira gandhi's killers are celebrated by affiliated organizations in Punjab and then assemblies passed resolutions for death row convicted terrorists in few states.

But what happened Badal was called Mandela of India by Modi and recently given padma award.
I won't agree that it was overblown by BJP. An event like that is natural to get reaction and it wasn't an event organized by BJP. So I don't know how they can be blamed for 'politicizing' it. The ones who politicized it are the political parties whose affiliated student unions arranged that.

I won't defend BJP on PDP. It is political party and it is for political gain and I don't want them to carry on with that. Akali Dal is slightly different where they are more pro Sikh-majority state than a separate country.

Actually i'd go as far as to say that Manmohan singh with a full majority and poltical control would have been a better PM than Modi who is just turning out to be a tinkerer. Nothing compared to Vajpayee even who navigated much more difficult government and still pushed some path breaking steps.
That is a big joke considering how bad the Congress govt turned out and how much corruption it led to. But then, such comments devoid of facts are made from obvious biased positions.

FromTheBench

That is a big joke considering how bad the Congress govt turned out and how much corruption it led to. But then, such comments devoid of facts are made from obvious biased positions.
I qualified that statement with 2 riders. 1)Manmohan sing having political capital and being in control of congress. 2) having full majority with support in parliament alone.

Not that ever would have happened but in that scenario which Modi is in, MMS would have done a better job. Vajpayee much better.

And i actually hate Manmohan singh's lack of guts and Not at all fond of Congress.