Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United legend? | Poll added

Is Cristiano Ronaldo a Man Utd legend?

• Total voters

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The proper papers/media which broadcast the narrative you believe?
The Athletic is pretty good, the Guardian don't go in for mindless gossip - and i think it was also on the BBC website

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yes, absolutely Cristiano is a Utd legend. He is absolutely one of the very best players we have ever had.
I have no issues with his move to Madrid. He’s a Mediterranean boy, and Real are the major team many European players aspire to. Fine.
Whilst he was here first time he was professional, gave his all, and won it all. Along with Rooney he is the poster boy of our 2008 CL win. He even gave us an extra season when he wanted to leave.
Furthermore, he absolutely does have an affinity and a care for the club, which he proved yesterday. I don’t believe for a second he would have actually gone to City, and I also think his return has been in the pipeline all summer.
Welcome home, legend!

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

3 back to back PL titles, 1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, 1 Club World Cup.

The star player of our most dominant era. He literally won everything there was to win with us, including every individual honour going. No-one has even come close ever since.

The greatest player that I have ever seen play for Utd in my life and what he achieved here makes him undoubtedly a Utd legend.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The whole article: https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...nts-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

A quote from the article: "I fecked her from the side. She made herself available. She was lying on her side, in bed, and I entered her from behind. It was rough. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available. The whole time it was rough, I turned her onto her side, and it was fast. Maybe she got some bruises when I grabbed her. (...) She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."
That's really awful.

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
It’s funny how the main reason that people here say he’s not a legend is something that never actually happened. Ronaldo calling himself a slave never happened. Blatter said Ronaldo was like a slave and made a rant about it, Ronaldo was then asked if he agreed with what Blatter had said (not the slave comment in particular) and he said yes to which the entire English media proceeded to clickbait “Ronaldo says he’s a slave at Man Utd’ despite him never saying that.

12 years later and most United fans believe he said that
Ohh give over; you're doing too much mental gymnastics to justify his comments.

Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to join Real Madrid appeared stronger than ever last night after a television interview in which he reiterated he had not changed his mind about wanting to leave Manchester United and agreed with the Fifa president Sepp Blatter's criticism about the way the European Cup winners had handled the situation. Blatter had urged United to allow the player to leave and, more controversially, complained that there was "too much modern slavery" in the sport.

Blatter, an honorary member of Real Madrid with close ties to the club's president, Ramón Calderón, had described himself as "very much in sympathy" with Ronaldo and urged United to allow him to leave, suggesting it was otherwise tantamount to slavery. "I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said. I know what I want and what I would like. We have to see what happens. I do not know where I will begin next season."

Ronaldo was subsequently asked whether that meant he still wanted to move to Madrid. "At the moment I can't say any more," he replied. "But you know what I said [at the end of Euro 2008] and what I want." He was asked when it would be sorted out. "I hope very soon."

Blatter's comments had been widely condemned, with United saying there were "taken aback" by his choice of words and the Professional Footballers' Association calling for a retraction. Ronaldo, who earns more than £100,000 a week on a contract signed last year, seemed oblivious to the reaction at Old Trafford. "What the president of Fifa said is correct," he said when pressed further. "He is right."

Speaking to the Portuguese television station TVI, Ronaldo was asked to clarify whether he had agreed terms with Madrid. "It's not true," he said. "There is not an agreement." His interviewer then wanted to know why he and Ferguson had not spoken this summer. "I don't want to say anything," he responded.

Although Ronaldo strategically stopped short of directly stating he wanted to leave Old Trafford, there were several instances when he was asked to clarify his position and chose against saying anything positive about the club. He also did not express any regret about the impact for United of Ferguson's assistant, Carlos Queiroz, becoming Portugal's new manager. "Carlos is a great coach - he showed it many times in Manchester and before that in Portugal. I think he would be a great option for the national team." Ronaldo had been due to report for pre-season training on Monday but it emerged he had been given permission to remain in Portugal while he recuperates from surgery on his right ankle. The player was on crutches and revealed he might be out for "10 to 12 weeks."

Blatter called him a modern slave and he agreed with it. So basically, he said he's a slave without saying "I'm a slave". He could've easily dismissed those remarks about slavery or at least not give an answer to that question and dismiss it completely out of the respect for the club but no; he was so desperate to leave so that he agreed with it.

And this happened right after United won the PL & CL double. He was that desperate to leave the best team in the world to join a Real Madrid side that couldn't reach even a CL quarter final in the last 4 or 5 years. That tells you all you need to know about his love for the club really.

The thing is, Ronaldo had absolutely every chance in the world to become a Manchester United legend. Signed for the club as a teenager with great potential. Was handed the no 7 by Fergie immediately. Improved day by day and after a few turbulent & inconsistent seasons for both the club and himself, a new era began in September 2006. He became the best player in the world while we regain our title and become the best team in the world. We had the dream season in the 50th anniversary of Munich air disaster and were only away from our second treble by a feckin Portsmouth win in the FA Cup. He became everything we wanted him to be.

He was no 1 star in the best team in the world. Had family like environment at the club that absolutely loved and adored him. Had fans who worshipped him (even after he left which is quite absurd :houllier:). Had the best manager ever whom he saw as a father figure. Everything was perfectly in place to become a legend of this club. He was given money, fame, love, a good working environment, an important role in the team, titles, an iconic shirt etc. Everything. Except maybe good weather haha. And how did he respond to all of that? He couldn't wait to leave.

Ronaldo himself turned down the chance to become a legend of this club in order to be a legend at Real Madrid. And fair enough if that was what he or his mother wanted for him since his childhood. But please don't tell me he's both a Real Madrid legend & Man United legend. It's like being in relationships with two beautiful women at the same time and wanting to marry with both. I'm sorry, it can't happen mate. Choose either one. And Ronaldo chose Madrid.

Also for those who constantly remind us his achievements at United, do you see Clarence Seedorf as a Real Madrid legend? He was a regular when they won La liga, Spanish Super Cup, Champions League and Intercontinental Cup. But no, he's an AC Milan legend. Zidane won the Ballon D'or at Juve. He also was in the top 3 shortlist for the Ballon d'Or twice, aside from his victory in 1998. He won Uefa's Club Best Midfielder, FIFA World Player of the Year (twice) awards , played 2 consecutive CL finals, won back to back scudettos, an Italian Super Cup, a UEFA Super Cup, an Intercontinental Cup at Juve. Is he a Juventus legend?

Reactions: berbatrick

Sweet Square

He wins us the league or CL in the next 2 years, imo he will be the greatest United player of the modern era (since the holy trinity of Best, Charlton, Law).

And I say this as someone who doesn't really like Ronaldo that much.

djembatheking

Not for me, great player but not a legend. Titles and awards don't make legends for me , a love for the club, the city, the people and that's why Robbo , Charlton, Best , Eric become legends ,, each to their own I suppose. Excited to have him back though.

joker00

I don't get the negativity tbh.

And Cantona was at the club less time than Ronaldo.

It is what they contributed and in my eyes they are both legends. Both were the catalysts for success in their respective teams.
But Cantona did not force an exit to a club with same status to spend his prime years, he is one of the best players that played for us, but in my opinion one can't be a legend of 2 clubs, it's either for us or for Real Madrid and honestly his accomplishement with both club are incomparable.
As I see it, may be it's early even to ask that question, maybe after another 5 years with us I'll be glad to see him as I see Giggs, Best, Totti, Del piero.

justboy68

I think people saying no are absolutely bonkers. The devastation when it looked like he was going to City, to the elation of him coming home says it all. If he wasn't a bona fide club legend it would have felt different.

Like with anything there are different levels of legends. Is he Bobby Charlton? No of course not, but he's absolutely a United legend. If he not only comes back here but also fires us to our first PL title or CL since SAF retired, then his legacy as a United legend will shoot to the moon.

lex talionis

Interesting debate. Law left United for fukking Citeh and scored the goal that relegated us, Best left United, Keane left United, Schimkes went to fukking Citeh, Rio left for QPR, Beckham left for Real and later the LA Milky Way and yet they’re all unquestioned United legends.

Cantona played 5 (might be 6, not sure) seasons for us, yet he’s an unquestioned United legend.

Perhaps what’s troubling some here of us the idea that a single player could be a legend at two different clubs. Get over it.

Let’s put it this say: even for those who doubt whether Ronaldo is a United legend, does his return not erase that doubt?

A more difficult question would asking whether bears shit in the woods.

Handré1990

Don’t think it’s much of a debate. He won Ballon d’or here, one of our three CL’s and what, 3 PL’s? Playing a major part in all of it (starring I’d say).

Handré1990

3 back to back PL titles, 1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, 1 Club World Cup.

The star player of our most dominant era. He literally won everything there was to win with us, including every individual honour going. No-one has even come close ever since.

The greatest player that I have ever seen play for Utd in my life and what he achieved here makes him undoubtedly a Utd legend.
Preach!

R'hllor

Interesting debate. Law left United for fukking Citeh and scored the goal that relegated us, Best left United, Keane left United, Schimkes went to fukking Citeh, Rio left for QPR, Beckham left for Real and later the LA Milky Way and yet they’re all unquestioned United legends.

Cantona played 5 (might be 6, not sure) seasons for us, yet he’s an unquestioned United legend.

Perhaps what’s troubling some here of us the idea that a single player could be a legend at two different clubs. Get over it.

Let’s put it this say: even for those who doubt whether Ronaldo is a United legend, does his return not erase that doubt?

A more difficult question would asking whether bears shit in the woods.
The feck you even talk about, you do know that players have to leave club eventually, Best left United, Keane left United, Rio left for QPR, the feck are those examples :lol:, holy shit.

sillwuka

No but I think this second tenure here will solidify his legacy and that Legendary status.

If he didn't come back there would always be "but he's a Madrid legend" and "he's never loved United". I didn't really think he loved the club so I'm over the moon that's he's back.

red_sun

The whole article: https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...nts-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

A quote from the article: "I fecked her from the side. She made herself available. She was lying on her side, in bed, and I entered her from behind. It was rough. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available. The whole time it was rough, I turned her onto her side, and it was fast. Maybe she got some bruises when I grabbed her. (...) She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. I have a lot of mixed feelings for Ronaldo considering his contributions to United and football in general. But he absolutely did something heinous here that's being airbrushed over.

kps88

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. I have a lot of mixed feelings for Ronaldo considering his contributions to United and football in general. But he absolutely did something heinous here that's being airbrushed over.
Yep same. His team have worked miracles to sweep this under the rug.

I also think most of us, myself included, find it difficult to really look at the case without any bias because his time at United gave us all so much happiness. It's hard to keep emotions out of it, so most would rather ignore it. If it was a famous actor or even a less loved footballer, a lot of people would have written them off by now.

Last edited:

RC89

He was a great, maybe even a legend, if he somehow leads us to a title or CL there can be no doubt.

Chabon

Law - let go by the club at 33
Best - booted out by the club at 27
Keane - booted out by the club at 35
Schmeichel - took a step down at 36
Ferdinand - took a step down at 35
Beckham - booted (heh) out of the club at 28
Cantona - retired from the game at 30
Ronaldo - forced his way out at 24

It’s not complicated.

dalriada

This is a dark side of him. He's not the only one by any means (look at Giggs), but his celebrity status made it very public at the time. His achievements on the field mean it's been partly forgotten, but don't be surprised if it resurfaces in the future. He's still one of the two most impressive players I saw play at Old Trafford, though - Giggs is the other one.

No but I think this second tenure here will solidify his legacy and that Legendary status.

If he didn't come back there would always be "but he's a Madrid legend" and "he's never loved United". I didn't really think he loved the club so I'm over the moon that's he's back.
Yeah there’s something there. Remember for all of us he was a part of our most successful period in history, those few years were the most incredible fun watching United bar the single season of 99 of course.

If he brings big trophies back now to a club so desperate for them, feck me he’ll be a unquestionably a massive club legend.

Mr.Kaya

Like others also said earlier, he's more of a legend in Real than here. He had such an impact at United and developed into a world class player here, but unfortunatly for us, he left way too early to RM and spent all his prime years there, broke so many records, and became maybe their biggest player ever. I'm sure he'd crush nearly all records here maybe besides Giggs crazy matches played stats had he stayed here rather than going to RM, but going there was a big dream for him and boy did he not deliver and conquer the world with them. For his career and status as one of the GOATs in the game, it was the best move he could do obviously.

But for me, I just cant count him in the same bracket as our biggest legends like Charlton, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Rooney, Best, Keane etc. I'm super happy and excited to see him come back though, even though a bit late he's back to make more history.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
No. He forced a move in his prime and was literally about to join our city rivals :lol:

lex talionis

Law - let go by the club at 33
Best - booted out by the club at 27
Keane - booted out by the club at 35
Schmeichel - took a step down at 36
Ferdinand - took a step down at 35
Beckham - booted (heh) out of the club at 28
Cantona - retired from the game at 30
Ronaldo - forced his way out at 24

It’s not complicated.
Agreed. It’s not complicated at all.

lex talionis

The feck you even talk about, you do know that players have to leave club eventually, Best left United, Keane left United, Rio left for QPR, the feck are those examples :lol:, holy shit.
That is the point. Most players do leave the club. No one denies that Keane, Rio and other United legends are legends. They served their club brilliantly and led their club to multiple trophies, as Ronaldo did.

estel_manutd

The fact that he forced his move through to Madrid at the peak of his powers means that I don't consider him a legend. I still recall how bitterly disappointed I was (like every other United supporter) that he left. That said, if he does something special in the next three years (e.g., helps us win the league and the European cup multiple times), and then retires with us, I can see him cementing his place as a United legend.

R'hllor

That is the point. Most players do leave the club. No one denies that Keane, Rio and other United legends are legends. They served their club brilliantly and led their club to multiple trophies, as Ronaldo did.
He never was and isnt a United legend, mentioning him with those who gave their best years for us and won, some even bled, not to mention people like Cantona, Keane etc. is an insult. Ronaldo cried to leave, he left and did the same, just for RM. If we werent dragged into his and agents scheme, that forced clubs hands to stop him joining City, he would be City player now and he wouldnt blink twice.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Hes returning to a man utd thats dreadful instead of man city. He is definitely a legend

RUCK4444

He never was and isnt a United legend, mentioning him with those who gave their best years for us and won, some even bled, not to mention people like Cantona, Keane etc. is an insult. Ronaldo cried to leave, he left and did the same, just for RM. If we werent dragged into his and agents scheme, that forced clubs hands to stop him joining City, he would be City player now and he wouldnt blink twice.
Bore off. If you don’t like the player just say so but this nonsense of him not being a legendary United player is just that, nonsense.

The match going fans say different, his peers say different, SAF says different.

R'hllor

Bore off. If you don’t like the player just say so but this nonsense of him not being a legendary United player is just that, nonsense.

The match going fans say different, his peers say different, SAF says different.
Take a hike if you cant accept reality, thats how it was and how it is, its not an opinion.

RUCK4444

Take a hike if you cant accept reality, thats how it was and how it is, its not an opinion.
Wtf? Of course it’s an opinion.

An opinion that every peer of his at the club including SAF has that he is a club legend.

Your just one of the few online fans that are butt hurt at him leaving to play for Madrid which was his dream growing up.

He won everything here and was a massive reason in us winning those major trophies, the biggest factor and most important player during an amazing period for us.

What’s the point in trying to suck the excitement out of us signing what is still one of the best players in world football. Still sulking because he left after winning everything there is to win here.

R'hllor

Wtf? Of course it’s an opinion.

An opinion that every peer of his at the club including SAF has that he is a club legend.

Your just one of the few online fans that are butt hurt at him leaving to play for Madrid which was his dream growing up.

He won everything here and was a massive reason in us winning those major trophies, the biggest factor and most important player during an amazing period for us.

What’s the point in trying to suck the excitement out of us signing what is still one of the best players in world football. Still sulking because he left after winning everything there is to win here.
Him not being United legend, it is but everything else i said isnt, thats what i meant. One of few butt hurt, yea not really, could give 2 shit about his adventure after he left us, what triggers my reaction is this whole, legend coming home, he is one of us bullshit, when if we didnt blink on their play to force us into the race vs City, he wouldnt mind one bit to play for plastic fecks.

So dont worry about me or few us on the internet, will drop it here because if i wanted to have a discussion with worshipers without principle, would tag Amadeus and talk about Pochettino.

James Peril

But Cantona did not force an exit to a club with same status to spend his prime years, he is one of the best players that played for us, but in my opinion one can't be a legend of 2 clubs, it's either for us or for Real Madrid and honestly his accomplishement with both club are incomparable.
As I see it, may be it's early even to ask that question, maybe after another 5 years with us I'll be glad to see him as I see Giggs, Best, Totti, Del piero.
What about the fact that Cantona just quit football and left the club out of the blue? That’s in many ways worse than signing for Real Madrid and getting us a huge fee for the troubles. Cantona has more charisma than the entire team we have now, but he did just leave the club and then probably fails your legend-test too?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I wonder, for comparison purposes (genuinely, not taking the mick or being disrespectful) what your opinion of Wayne Rooney is? I mean, he’s the clubs record scorer, formed a formidable partnership with Ronaldo and was equally responsible for our 2008 success but still questioned the clubs ambition, challenged Sir Alex and asked to leave.

RUCK4444

Him not being United legend, it is but everything else i said isnt, thats what i meant. One of few butt hurt, yea not really, could give 2 shit about his adventure after he left us, what triggers my reaction is this whole, legend coming home, he is one of us bullshit, when if we didnt blink on their play to force us into the race vs City, he wouldnt mind one bit to play for plastic fecks.

So dont worry about me or few us on the internet, will drop it here because if i wanted to have a discussion with worshipers without principle, would tag Amadeus and talk about Pochettino.
Are you saying it’s a fact he’s not a club legend? That’s impossible to claim.

If it were an official title though he would absolutely have it. As I say, everybody within the game class him as a United legend including SAF and I would expect the vast majority of fans do also.

It’s a moot point because it cannot be proven. I just find it bizarre that somebody would claim him to be anything other than a legend. The entire away fans section today was covered in Portugal flags today, singing his name all day, what player has that effect if not a returning legend?

Jazmodo

Our best player over 3-4 years, winning CL, Premier League, among other awards/trophies.

Definitely a club legend regardless if he returned (going to Man City would have killed his legacy though).

The fact he's re-joined cements his place as a club legend for me. He could have gone to MLS for more money, or PSG. But he really has a connection to "our club" (his words).

Ronaldo's come home, and to add icing on the cake, Messi's left home :devil:

R'hllor

Are you saying it’s a fact he’s not a club legend? That’s impossible to claim.

If it were an official title though he would absolutely have it. As I say, everybody within the game class him as a United legend including SAF and I would expect the vast majority of fans do also.

It’s a moot point because it cannot be proven. I just find it bizarre that somebody would claim him to be anything other than a legend. The entire away fans section today was covered in Portugal flags today, singing his name all day, what player has that effect if not a returning legend?
Ehm, tried to explain, he aint United legend for me, thats my view/opinion, everything else i said after that isnt.

Relem

Ronaldo is obviously a United legend. The prodigal son has returned. I didn't even know I had a Ronaldo shaped hole in my life until he filled it when he came back