Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Revan

Assumptionman
He didn’t compare the two though. He said these 2 events are the most “significant” in his lifetime. That’s all.
How a 96 years old woman dying could be that significant. I mean, even this year only we had the first full scale war in Europe in more than 2 decades, with probably over a hundred thousand people dying, a non-trivial risk of nuclear war, double digit inflation after 2 decades, skyrocket energy prices. But yeah, a 96 year old woman who drank a lot of tea is the most significant one.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The decision to cancel the fixtures makes zero sense - from my point of view for several reasons - it will probably end up as two sets of matches which will in effect make an already cramped season even more difficult, especally if there are other events along the way. Playing football is not a lack of respect.

I can get over not watching football for a weekend.

It's the falseness of it all, it's not happened before except for the odd match. It's the state of the UK in 2022 - that's the problem.
All of that is perfectly reasonable.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Wow. And I thought forced mourning was something that happened in North Korea.
Indeed. Mourning whilst sat around on Fortnite rather than getting physical and mental exercise. Yet they’re still in school? Haven’t read the thread so maybe there is some logic I’m missing to it but I don’t understand why kids can’t play football. We’ve been told we can’t even organise friendlies, which makes no sense.

Tommy79

Why does it matter if I’m outside the UK? Your queen is my queen.
Senator Lidia Thorpe described Britian’s Elizabeth 11 as a “colonizing” queen and raised her fist in a black power salute while taking the oath in Australia's parliament. Guess not every Ozzie thinks like you then.

Word on the street is Liverpool might play their CL game in Dublin because of policing issues.
Yeah I read in this morning's Irish sun that the Aviva was offering itself up, but they didn't state what game they would use.

TheReligion

Abusive
Prince William is the president of the FA so wonder if that’s part of the decision in terms of paying it’s respects?

SteveCoppellFan

We live in such a gutless PC world these days, we live in fear of the snowflakes.

Devolution has set in.

RedMilo

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The UK is a very strange place. This reaction to the death of a head of state is not even close to normal.
Don't tar us all with the same brush.

She's dead, people need to get over it. Yeah it's pretty big news and the end of an era, but life has to go on. Cant stop everything and pretend we are still in the 1800s just because someone has died.

I'm sick of hearing she's dead on every fecking channel like it's breaking news, it's been about 18 hours, everyone knows now. There's no story. It's not developing, it happened and it's done.

DickDastardly

The royals are the worst. Not in an individual level, the Queen seemed to have been a somewhat decent person. But what they represent is everything I despise. People who have been raised since they were born as being better than others, by virtue of some great-great-great-ancestor having been the biggest prick in the town. People that for most part wouldn’t piss in you if you will be in fire, because you know, they are better. And then mourning for these people, give me a break.
They do make for a good telly show.

Can't wait for the next season of the Crown.

Pickle85

How a 96 years old woman dying could be that significant. I mean, even this year only we had the first full scale war in Europe in more than 2 decades, with probably over a hundred thousand people dying, a non-trivial risk of nuclear war, double digit inflation after 2 decades, skyrocket energy prices. But yeah, a 96 year old woman who drank a lot of tea is the most significant one.
Oh give over. Who are you to tell someone what the most significant moments in their life are or should be? Like it or not, the media coverage worldwide has proved that it is a very significant moment.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, already confirmed by the PL.
I'm reading this sat on the toilet with the runs at work listening to Hanging Tough by New Kids on the Block on the Muzak.

I don't think I could be more irritated if I needed to be.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
My cousin has the start of his football season tomorrow. He's 12.

Cancelled :lol:

swissgenius

Schedule was already quite loaded because of the winter WC, but 2 more games to stuff in somewhere in spring is madness. Two games a week will be quite common this season, not that I complain.
I guess the FA Cup will see more 2nd string lineups now.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was I dreaming the whole debate about police? Wait, I'll check.

No, it definitely happened. People did suggest that the games will be postponed because of policing.
I didn’t see anyone suggesting that was the sole reason though? Unless I missed it?

Siorac

I didn’t see anyone suggesting that was the sole reason though? Unless I missed it?
But now that grassroots games of 12-year-olds are getting cancelled, we can forget about policing considerations playing any part in the decision at all. Clearly it's not a factor.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Don't tar us all with the same brush.

She's dead, people need to get over it. Yeah it's pretty big news and the end of an era, but life has to go on. Cant stop everything and pretend we are still in the 1800s just because someone has died.

I'm sick of hearing she's dead on every fecking channel like it's breaking news, it's been about 18 hours, everyone knows now. There's no story. It's not developing, it happened and it's done.
The odd thing is, life is carrying on as normal, absolutely nothing has changed for anyone. It's just sport and entertainment that has been placed on pause, everything else is exactly as it was.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh give over. Who are you to tell someone what the most significant moments in their life are or should be? Like it or not, the media coverage worldwide has proved that it is a very significant moment.
I thought he said, in his lifetime, not for him.

It is a symbolic moment, that is for sure. A bit like the death of Michael Jackson, but on steroids. It is definitely not significant though, considering that virtually nothing important will get affected by this one. With the Queen dead, and the King alive, the UK will still import 2/3rd of the cheese, which is a disgrace.

Pickle85

I thought he said, in his lifetime, not for him.

It is a symbolic moment, that is for sure. A bit like the death of Michael Jackson, but on steroids. It is definitely not significant though, considering that virtually nothing important will get affected by this one. With the Queen dead, and the King alive, the UK will still import 2/3rd of the cheese, which is a disgrace.
This made me chuckle. Agree.