Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed is not dead

There’s a difference between criticism of Maguire’s performance, which is fair and more often than not deserved, and the constant cheap jokes and memes made at his expense.
It’s like Phil Jones, one day the internet decided he was a joke and that was it.

Countless players have stinkers, brain farts, and so on. I’d say a player like Rudiger is a prime example of a player who could easily be turned into a constant meme because of his attitude and bad defending, yet the internet crowd decided that it was cool.

On another related topic I remember that there was a poll or something like that that came out at the beginning of the season or last year where we could see that in the top 10 players receiving abuse on Twitter, 7 of them were United players and Maguire was topping the charts.

Let's criticize the performances all we want, but let's not verse into cyber bullying where we just constantly mock people for the sake of it

Reactions: van der star

redcucumber

Luckily, your assessment of what's funny isn't universal. So if good, lighthearted, jokes are cracked on United/United players, I will laugh my ass off.

Firstly, you need to comprehend what's being said to you - I said I've seen, not that I've watched - this is the second time I make this distinction to aid your reading comprehension, and you're seemingly still struggling. Secondly, you know nothing of me nor my time, I don't think having +90k posts on Redcafe is a good investment of time, but it's not my place to comment on as I do not know you - for all I know you make your living online (I do) - so I'd appreciate you keep personal suggestions to yourself, because were I to do the same - it might register as "form of bullying via delinquent vitriol" :lol: - whatever that even means - to you. Let's not get weird, and let us keep this thing cordial, please.

Thirdly, your posts are full of emotional outbursts and confirmation bias - anecdotally, from what I've seen, Maguire doesn't get cracked on more than Ronaldo, more than a lot of the Chelsea lads or even Luke Shaw when he has a dip in form. Players are made fun of - it's one of the sides of the coin of having a very well remunerated profession with high visibility - especially in Maguire's case with a transfer fee that his performances have never come close to justifying. Is it all justified? No, not when it gets personal and/or discriminatory - but then again, this thread used a commentator referring to Upamecano as "Upamaguire" as it's basis, and yeah that's funny and it's not something to pick up pitchforks over.

I will continue to laugh at similar jokes/memes made about Maguire - oh, and I might also watch a few fail compilations of him from time to time. Be easy.
I'm amazed you think Chelsea players get the same scrutiny and general coverage that United players do. It's part and parcel of being one of the biggest clubs in the world and undoubtedly comes with perks, but it's definitely the case that United is another level and is unique in that sense (reckon only Madrid and Barca are comparable, but the PL is much more globally watched). Phil Jones got it as well. In his case, you could see from that interview where he talks about online trolls being basement dwelling pot noodle snafflers that live at their mums place how deeply personal the abuse/hate/whatever you call it affected him. Phil Jones and Harry Maguire both probably overcompensated in their interviews at times but that's what happens when people are pushed to their limits - they shoot back in their own way. United are sort of to blame in a sense because these players shouldn't have been at the club either at all or for as long as they have been.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And I think you're making out this level of "mockery and ridicule" of only Maguire to be way worse than it actually is. It just seems that way because of how connected everything is through media now, but 20+ years ago players that were shit were being mocked just as much as they are now if they were constantly making montage worthy mistakes. It just didn't seem that way.

Again, anyone personally messaging him/his family/or doing anything out of line to feck with the guy's personal life can feck off. I have no tolerance for that. But we're acting like people tweeting a Maguire fail clip is going to break him mentally, and my point is that if that's going to affect you as a footballer then you're probably fecked anyways considering every player these days gets social media stick.
Yes you're proving my point. Because everything is more connected now, people have far greater visibility on the every single on-field incident as well as ability to voice their clownish opinions on it through unfunny bantz and abuse. On the bolded bit, the lines get blurred. Once a player turns into a meme, let's not pretend that mocking (it's not just a fail clip) and abuse go hand in hand.

I don't think every player getting social media stick is the point. It's obviously about the extent of it.

amolbhatia50k

Luckily, your assessment of what's funny isn't universal. So if good, lighthearted, jokes are cracked on United/United players, I will laugh my ass off.
Neither is yours, thankfully. Continue to be entertained by the most basic herd-mentality online jokes and abuse (it always flows into abuse).

Firstly, you need to comprehend what's being said to you - I said I've seen, not that I've watched - this is the second time I make this distinction to aid your reading comprehension, and you're seemingly still struggling.
Well done on seeing so many Havertz compilations I guess. Makes it much better. That you've done and still failed to grasp the distinction between the treatment of Maguire and Havertz is rather strange.

Thirdly, your posts are full of emotional outbursts and confirmation bias - anecdotally, from what I've seen, Maguire doesn't get cracked on more than Ronaldo, more than a lot of the Chelsea lads or even Luke Shaw when he has a dip in form.
Oh the irony of this sentence. You do realise (surely you do?!) that Ronaldo also has possibly, maybe, I think, feckloads of praise and worship coming his way to counter whatever hatred he may get?! So no, those two aren't similar at all and it's a weak comparison. Luke Shaw has had some criticism but it's nowhere remotely close to that of Maguire's. Same with the Chelsea lads - it's there but it's not that enormous. Where it crosses the line - it is wrong. Sadly according to many there is no line.

All in all, I don't even actually like Maguire. I think he's not suited to a club of this stature - neither in his footballing qualities nor his mentality. But the manner in which he's been made a global symbol of mocking and abuse, is way, way over the top. And we like to think it is a harmless joke, but it really is much more - this kind of herd mocking leads to a lot of abuse as well. It's just a sad reflection of the state of social media on these matters.

Last edited:

Cantonagotmehere

Neither is yours, thankfully. Continue to be entertained by the most basic herd-mentality online jokes and abuse (it always flows into abuse).

Well done on seeing so many Havertz compilations I guess. Makes it much better. That you've done and still failed to grasp the distinction between the treatment of Maguire and Havertz is rather strange.

Oh the irony of this sentence. You do realise (surely you do?!) that Ronaldo also has possibly, maybe, I think, feckloads of praise and worship coming his way to counter whatever hatred he may get?! So no, those two aren't similar at all and it's a weak comparison. Luke Shaw has had some criticism but it's nowhere remotely close to that of Maguire's. Same with the Chelsea lads - it's there but it's not that enormous. Where it crosses the line - it is wrong. Sadly according to many there is no line.

All in all, I don't even actually like Maguire. I think he's not suited to a club of this stature - neither in his footballing qualities nor his mentality. But the manner in which he's been made a global symbol of mocking and abuse, is way, way over the top. And we like to think it is a harmless joke, but it really is much more - this kind of herd mocking leads to a lot of abuse as well. It's just a sad reflection of the state of social media on these matters.
Well said, mate.

amolbhatia50k

It is totally and utterly undeserved in my mind. He seems to get punished over and over simply for the crime that we as a club decided to spend stupid, stupid money on him. That and Gareth Southgate picks him, even though he's clearly one of the top 4 or 5 CBs England have - this seems to go against him.

He's had a very successful career as a footballer. Just look at his career path. It's textbook. Sheffield United, to Hull, to Leicester, to United, each time earning his rise. He's worked hard to achieve that and you need to have dedication and ability to do it so I have respect for what he's done, he's just short at this level.

Criticism is absolutely fine because he's not up to it here, especially when it is focused on particular performances. But it's just become a cheap bandwagon for anyone that doesn't really have anything to say to hop on board and feel a part of something. Especially the neutrals that have no skin in the game, it's just a pile on for no good reason, I can't see any other justification for the consistency of the fixation on him. Some of it also becomes vitriolic.
That sums it up very well.

For example when he has a bad performance and someone here laughs at or criticises him it's one thing but when clip after clip on internet have random weirdo #8144 drawing some lame reference to Maguire for easy likes from like minded weirdos, it's another. And that behaviour snowballs beyond criticism and mild humour into a very different beast. IMO at least.

wangyu

Woah he got into the team of the year of League One ? Great achievements.
They’re still professional leagues. He also got into the Euro 2020 team of the tournament ahead of many defenders with a much higher profile (and far less baggage on their shoulders).

jem

And some would say that a better defender wouldn’t be in a position two meters away and off to the side from the guy heading the ball, as opposed to standing in no-man’s land. I mean this can go around in circles forever.
Yeah it was bad luck.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Always worth remembering that virtually everyone who mocks him are half doing it out for envy for living the dream that they never could.

TsuWave

I'm amazed you think Chelsea players get the same scrutiny and general coverage that United players do. It's part and parcel of being one of the biggest clubs in the world and undoubtedly comes with perks, but it's definitely the case that United is another level and is unique in that sense (reckon only Madrid and Barca are comparable, but the PL is much more globally watched). Phil Jones got it as well. In his case, you could see from that interview where he talks about online trolls being basement dwelling pot noodle snafflers that live at their mums place how deeply personal the abuse/hate/whatever you call it affected him. Phil Jones and Harry Maguire both probably overcompensated in their interviews at times but that's what happens when people are pushed to their limits - they shoot back in their own way. United are sort of to blame in a sense because these players shouldn't have been at the club either at all or for as long as they have been.
I think the level of jokes made about him are no different from the jokes I see about Ronaldo, the Chelsea players and even Luke Shaw (when he’s not playing well). I did highlight a few times that Maguire plays for United and the exorbitant fee that was paid for him as contributing factors - and even then, I also added qualifiers specifically stating this is based on what I’ve personally witnessed.

I mean, I’m not the one making matter of factly statements on what’s funny or not.

Maguire is one of the most expensive players in the prem and a poor one at that - with regular comical mistakes = Maguire is used a reference point for poor defending. Similar happens to Havertz and now Mudryk too. The game is the game.

Again, I’ve already said it’s not justified when it becomes personal, and for all the typing about so called abuse, what spurred this thread was “Upamaguire”, for feck’s sake:lol:

“Ronaldo gets a lot of praise so hatred in the form of bullying via delinquent vitriol is ok”? Really? :confused: Cool

Maguire being used as a reference for poor defending or mistakes is hardly crossing the line. Him getting boo’d for England might have been, but IIRC that hasn’t happened in a while.

A paragraph ago you spoke of the adulation Ronaldo gets as a balancing force for the abuse he gets. When you play for Manchester United the level of adulation you get, as well as remuneration is different - so is the level of scrutiny. The type of jokes I see made about him are no different than the ones I see made for other players that are not up to par.

If he plays well, he’ll get the “my captain!!” herd type posts on the same social media platforms you refer to, if he doesn’t - these jokes have to fly

Someone

Something
Nobody deserves this, but it's rare at the top level to see someone make so many comical mistakes. The fact that he's awkward on the ball and moves in a funny way sometimes makes it much worse for him.

He doesn't help himself stupid shit like he has nothing to prove, but he also deserves credit for not being a divisive character, and accepting his role in the team this season.

Zen86

He certainly doesn’t deserve it. He’s hardly the first big money signing that hasn’t worked out. There’s a long list of them who haven’t had a fraction of the infamy that Maguire has.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I read it well enough. Selectively mentioning his starts omits a shambles of a game just over a week back which we were in control of before he came on. It's not like we get 6 points when he starts
It's not being selective at all. If anyone is being selective (and scapegoating) it's you. I picked games he played 90 minutes in. I could have easily picked all of his games since the world cup and moved it up to 13-2-0 if you like? but you just want to look at a game where we blew a 2 goal lead, blame harry for those 2 OG's that he could do nothing about, and then tell me that I"m being selective? Give your head a shake

Idxomer

As many said, his biggest problem is thinking he's much better than he really is.

Worst signing in United's history by a mile.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Don't think I've ever detested a current United player before but I do with Maguire. I sincerely hope he's gone in the summer even if it means giving him a free transfer

Dempsey19

Makes my blood boil seeing him play for us.i feckin detest him !!

Just get rid in the summer please.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s got to the stage where I feel sorry for him, he must be dying out there, confidence completely shot to pieces and his position is irrecoverable. He knows he’s on borrowed time.

hp88

He's bad, really bad. Thinking who's stupid enough to buy him now.

JimmyWils

Amazing thar some people, Savage included, are blaming it on De Gea. Maguire could have done a couple of other things there and instead he gifts them a goal.... again.

How he still has the armband is one of the only questions I have about EtH's choices.

Todd

He's not the worst Manchester United player I've ever seen, but the worse ones made far fewer appearances for the club.

Who's a worse United player that had more appearances than Harold Slabhead, tell me that?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Amazing thar some people, Savage included, are blaming it on De Gea. Maguire could have done a couple of other things there and instead he gifts them a goal.... again.

How he still has the armband is one of the only questions I have about EtH's choices.
BT Sport is always Harry Maguire fan TV when we're playing. No English players can do any wrong.

hp88

It’s got to the stage where I feel sorry for him, he must be dying out there, confidence completely shot to pieces and his position is irrecoverable. He knows he’s on borrowed time.
Said this in the match day thread, he looks like someone who would rather be on the bench and see the season out, he's way out of his depth at this club.

FerociousCorgis

all he had to do was a basic turn and go. That is fecking it. He does that he leaves 3 sevilla players behind him and we are off to the races. Watch city play out from the back and you see that all the time.

BorisManUtd

Maguire was unlucky to get an own goal last week and put into a difficult situation by De Gea tonight (not that he didn't make an error himself of course). I'm sure he'll be relieved when he leaves United because all the pressure is too much for him. Not a 1st choice CB for United and even less a captain.

Mr. Ant

all he had to do was a basic turn and go. That is fecking it. He does that he leaves 3 sevilla players behind him and we are off to the races. Watch city play out from the back and you see that all the time.
Another thing he could do is not ask for the ball when he's not capable of turning with it. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.