Is Mbappe the best french player ever?

rainey

Supports
DZG
Godlike performance; the absolute balls to step up the way he did... Deserves absolute respect. Now stay with PSG and bring them that CL.

Lyng

Wonderful player. Only 23 and already writing WC history. Would love him in United. Truly special player.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You can only judge by what he's done to date. If France won it today he would have matched Pele's career trajectory which is insane, two world cup wins, with big performances and moments in both. Alas it wasn't meant to be. But still a wonderful player and a landmark day in his career despite the loss.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Well that's because of his position. Records are there to be broken, I'm sure we all grew up thinking Pele/Maradona could never be matched, so it's only a matter of time. If Mbappe comes to United and carries us to a few PL's and CLs building a legacy, I'm sure he'd have a great case.
I doubt he will ever be as complete a player as Messi.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
8 goals this WC and now even with R9 in all time WC goals. Expect him to cruise past Klose in the USA WC.

beer&grill

Tell that to people who already say he is one of the best players ever. And those people are not minority.
Those who have eyes and at least somewhat good memory know you’re in the right. Don’t let fanboys, kids that started watching football in 2017 and those blinded by recency bias tell you otherwise.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's lethal. Will dominate the Ballon D'Ors after this season.

Rista

Just how confident he was taking all 3 penalties. "Vastly overrated" :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I just find it really hard to like him.

We should throw the bank at him if he decides to leave psg though, especially if we end up with owners with deep pockets.

Zen

8 goals this WC and now even with R9 in all time WC goals. Expect him to cruise past Klose in the USA WC.
Well, he's 3 behind R9 actually. But surely it's a formality... but then again, it was for Muller too, who went on to do nothing in the next 2 World Cups. So who knows, but very likely.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
World Cup/Euro years probably but if Haaland continues his trajectory he has good competition.
True but Mpabbe is so much better at creating his own goals. Haaland is the perfect penalty box striker.

PSV

After watching Müller almost disintegrating in the two last WCs I expect nothing.

I hope he does well though.
World Cup/Euro years probably but if Haaland continues his trajectory he has good competition.
So every second year he'll be nailed on and the odd years they'll be competing? :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After watching Müller almost disintegrating in the two last WCs I expect nothing.

I hope he does well though.

So every second year he'll be nailed on and the odd years they'll be competing? :lol:
Well they’ll be competing every year but we know that they like to favour international comps and unfortunately Haaland plays for a poor international team.

Yuri37

23 and already has 4 WC final goals. Amazing really.

If he truly wants to become the GOAT though, he needs to move to the PL or La Liga next summer and win a couple of CLs.
that's bullshite.
Pelé is probably still the GOAT and never played in Europe.
Also if Mbappé enables PSG to win their first C1 and France's 2nd one (and PSG clearly have the team and the financial power to help him ti do that), it will be a far bigger achievement for his legacy than if he wins it with an English or Spanish big team who are used to win it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well, he's 3 behind R9 actually. But surely it's a formality... but then again, it was for Muller too, who went on to do nothing in the next 2 World Cups. So who knows, but very likely.
Yeah I messed the R9 number up. He should pass it next one though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I doubt he will ever be as complete a player as Messi.
He won't. His game is very around the pen box centric. Ronaldo is the one he'll be trying to match. He could do it - he's excellent. He was really poor for 75 minutes but after that did brilliantly. Excellent nerves under pressure too

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He won't. His game is very around the pen box centric. Ronaldo is the one he'll be trying to match. He could do it - he's excellent. He was really poor for 75 minutes but after that did brilliantly. Excellent nerves under pressure too
I agree.

Yuri37

Special player

Won't get over him staying at PSG though

A player with his talent should be focused on his legacy/trophies not the money especially in his early 20's
bullshite again, staying in PSG doesn't stop him to already be one of the 2/3 best playersin the world and to score 4 goals in his first two WC finals

Yuri37

Terrifying in full pace

He was pedestrian until the penalty. Then he just switched something on. Every time he got the ball Argentina were in danger.
he was not pedestrian, he just hardly had any good balls with France being totally dominated

Best France player in World Cup by a mile
with Griezmann

I heard tales of GOAT players like Pele, Maradona carrying their national team to win everything. Never witnessed one until mbappe shows up. Not even Messi and Ronaldo couldn't do it in single world cup game, but Mbappe has been carrying France for two world cups. Even in the final game, insane. He really should go to real madrid and change the history of football.
Yeah change the history of football by enabling Madrid to win their 15,16 and 17 th CL (and even then, he won't match CR7 or Benzema's record).....wow like winning another CL with Real Madrid would "change" the history of football

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

He has 2 assists in this WC to Messi's 3.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has 2 assists in this WC to Messi's 3.
He will be good in that department. Ronaldo was too. But Messi's creativity is far more than just assists. He's a true playmaker.

But that's another topic. He can be proud of how he flipped his performance completely post 75 minutes. Well bloody done! Gave us a final for the ages.

tjb

Henry was better, but Mbappe still has plenty of time to reach new heights.
I think Henry was better, but I'm starting to question some things now.

I love Henry, I'm not sure he would ever have been able to do what Mbappe did today.

France were horrible for 80 minutes, he pretty much carried them on his back and willed it to 3-3 with the help of Kolo Muani. Everyone else was garbage.

I don't think 06 Zidane or 98 Zidane came near this general world cup performance ( Euro 2000 is another debate).

Just on that basis, he has a massive leg up that not even Messi or Ronaldo had at 23 despite their Ballon D'ors at the time. Everyone already treats him like the best player on the planet. A move to a better league and some good seasons where people can watch him week in week out is all he will need to be seen as greater. If Ronaldo De Lima's world cup performances with 2-3 truly out of this world seasons could carry his legacy to a top 10 player of all time, then I can see Mbappe being there one day.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Will probably go down to the greatest french player in the end honestly.

Judge him in 10 years but he's on course if he doesn't get major injuries, dips in form etc.

Eddy_JukeZ

A monster of a player.

He doesn't have Messi's innate talent, but he can be the best in the next tier potentially with a few things to develop.

After he scored the pen, he was unstoppable and looked like a goal-scoring threat no matter where he got the ball.

Skills

Snitch
A monster of a player.

He doesn't have Messi's innate talent, but he can be the best in the next tier potentially with a few things to develop.

After he scored the pen, he was unstoppable and looked like a goal-scoring threat no matter where he got the ball.
I don't think talents the right word there.

He's not as refined as Messi is/was - Messi's a robot who does everything right, all the time, but that's his training and his football education. Mbappe is about as naturally talented as it's possible to be in this sport.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think talents the right word there.

He's not as refined as Messi is/was - Messi's a robot who does everything right, all the time, but that's his training and his football education. Mbappe is about as naturally talented as it's possible to be in this sport.
Don't agree personally. Mbappe is insanely talented, but he falls a bit short when you compare him to Messi in innate talent.

Mbappe's passing and dribbling is a notch below Messi's.

He's also not as refined, but Messi is the most refined player of all-time.

KeanoMagicHat

Even with Pele, 3 behind Ronaldo. But yeah you’d expect him to break the record. It’s fitting he has 12 in 14 in the World Cup like Pele, similar impact in world cups to Ronaldo and Pele. A World Cup legend already, he’ll be remembered for international more than club football.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Even with Pele, 3 behind Ronaldo. But yeah you’d expect him to break the record. It’s fitting he has 12 in 14 in the World Cup like Pele, similar impact in world cups to Ronaldo and Pele. A World Cup legend already, he’ll be remembered for international more than club football.
No disrespect to Ligue 1 but he needs to leave.

ROFLUTION

Unreal player.

If only Modern Football (sheil-money) hadnt existed, he’d be playing in a good league for a good (non oil team) making his accomplishments far greater. Hopefully he leaves and proves himself in another league.

KeanoMagicHat

Unreal player.

If only Modern Football (sheil-money) hadnt existed, he’d be playing in a good league for a good (non oil team) making his accomplishments far greater. Hopefully he leaves and proves himself in another league.
If modern football hadn’t happened, he’d probably be playing in Paris because he’s from Paris?