Is today going to be the overriding memory of this season?

jm99

Most sensible people are more likely to remember it as ETHs first season, the one where we won a trophy and hopefully finished in the top 4 rather than the SEVEN NIL YEAR NOOO
Yeah this basically.

Though I do think as I said if we get sold, it'll be "remember 22/23, the year we got rid of the Glazers at last" that's far bigger than anything else, top 4, not 4, trophies, getting rid of them finally is the number 1 thing we'll remember

nmm85

Strangely enough I'm quite non-plused about the result. I didn't believe we were in a title race before and even though playing against Liverpool is always a big game for us, today didn't really feel that important. If we bounce back to the form we were in prior to today then it's just a blip in our excellent season.

AlPistacho

Not for me if we continue to win games. Depends on the team's reaction I guess
This. If the teams reaction is positive, it will still get mentioned just like Brentford still gets mentioned, but it will be positive and used as an example of the teams resilience and mentality

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah this basically.

Though I do think as I said if we get sold, it'll be "remember 22/23, the year we got rid of the Glazers at last" that's far bigger than anything else, top 4, not 4, trophies, getting rid of them finally is the number 1 thing we'll remember
That I agree with. Those parasites leaving could be the best ‘trophy’ we could win this season.

Drizzle

Yeah this basically.

Quite right. Glazers going > trophy/ies > top 4 >>>> receiving some batterings

cyberman

Really need to win another trophy to stamp this season as a wild success.
Top 4 is in the bag.We need two teams to overtake us which looks like Liverpool and Brighton but both those sides have to play the top 2 before the seasons end plus our points advantage as it is.
Sad truth is if we go out v Betis then we have little to get excited about bar FA cup

Skills

Snitch
Winning the cup treble might erase it from top memory.

But more than likely it will be for most supporters , I really don't understand Man Utd supporters who say they are not bothered by losing to Liverpool.

Losing 7 - 0 to them of all teams is a humiliation that will remembered for many years , and not just by Liverpool./Utd supporters, even last night I was talking to couple of Liverpool fans going on endlessly about last seasons 5 -0. In my wildest dreams I never thought it could or would ever get worse than that.

At least then we knew it was end of days stuff for Ole's reign and we knew there would be a reboot. But it feels like a real sucker punch to get hammered like that again.

But then again if we go on and get top 4 and win another cup or two and they don't make top 4 the 7- 0 will be meaningless by the end of the season.
I like to call these people Wikipedia fans. Their emotional investment into the club is the trophy counter on Wikipedia.

rk4utd

Me and my son were in the Anfield road end today. I was in OT when we got beat 6 by City. Also by the scousers at OT last season. But what will define our season will be what happens at the end - not now. It’s embarrassing yes - but football is about trophies not individual league games. We go again on Thursday. In Ten Hag I trust.

Reactions: Rood

brian017

No. I remember Martin O'Neills first season as Celtic Manager. He won the treble and it was an amazing season. In the November of that season Celtic went to Ibrox and got beat 5-1, it could have been 10-1 and Rangers totally outclassed Celtic that day. It meant nothing.

Today will only mean something if Liverpool finish in the top four and we don't. It was a car crash, the players will come back from it, probably starting on Thursday night.

I fully expect a title challenge next season, today will be a lesson that will help that challenge.
Exactly. I wouldn't swap our position with theirs for a 7-0 win against them. Clear our heads, get back to winning and we'll be fine

Skills

Snitch
If we won 3 trophies why would that be overridden by one defeat?
The manner of the defeat is far more historically relevant than winning a few trophies.

If we'd go onto win a CL, sure - nobody would care. The worst defeat in 90 years and that to against them, is far more memorable than a few cups.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Nah, being at Wembley again last week was ace and will remember it forever. Some of you get too invested in the ‘banter’ with rival fans online.

Chairman Steve

No. It’ll be remembered for winning a trophy for the first time in how long and the Glazers hopefully leaving. The latter itself would be celebrated like winning the Champions League and Premier League.

Freak results happen every once in a while. I won’t let an admittedly abysmal second half of football ruin all the good work that we’ve seen happen this season. It was really uncharacteristic of us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not for me. This has been the first season for years that I’ve been confident in us playing well and winning. I’ll be looking forward to next season being even better. You look at a lot of teams in transition and there are freak results. Didn’t City lose 8-0 to Middlesbrough and Liverpool 6-0 to stoke?

90 + 5min

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?
No. Stop making it bigger than it is. People need to calm down.

DickDastardly

The desperation to make try and have hot takes on here is a bit weird.
This.

I like a little S&M as the next guy but some of you are taking the piss.

Relax.

Trust me, this will last a day.
Pool fans have nothing to remember from this season.

They'll go out of CL in a week, lose to City, Arsenal and Chelsea and miss out on top 4.

And they'll still be left with Gakpo and Darwin.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Winning a trophy is way bigger than a one off freak game like this. Liverpool themselves let in 7 against Aston Villa a couple seasons ago ffs.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Unfortunately yes.

Which is bloody frustrating because next week we will go back to fighting for trophies on 4 fronts and they will go back to getting turned over by Wolves.
Speak for yourself. A loss is a bigger memory for you than a trophy and a significantly better season-long performance?

Someone

Something
Not for me. I don't dwell on bad results for long. It's only a problem if we allow it to impact the rest of the season, and I trust that ETH won't allow this to happen.

It also could serve as a reminder that there's still work to be done.

Josep Dowling

The manner of the defeat is far more historically relevant than winning a few trophies.

If we'd go onto win a CL, sure - nobody would care. The worst defeat in 90 years and that to against them, is far more memorable than a few cups.
You’re emotional after the game. It’s a hard defeat but I’d rather win trophies and lose a few games by large margins.

Cpl Hicks

This one is a very very sore one but since I cant start a thread ill ask here. At the start of the season would you have taken this loss if it meant we would get top four and two cups? I'd love to hear peoples replies to this one.

mu4c_20le

Winning a trophy is way bigger than a one off freak game like this. Liverpool themselves let in 7 against Aston Villa a couple seasons ago ffs.
Do you think this is the same as letting in 7 against Aston Villa?

People still bring up the 6-1 city from time to time

GazTheLegend

People can't remember back further than one game ago to be fair. In the last four games we have:

Knocked Barcelona out of the Europa cup
Won a trophy.

In as much as I'm sure people will try their best to NOT let us forget it, frankly in the grand scheme of things it's small potatoes. Set against a backdrop of mediocrity it would be a full stop to a career for a manager but let's be realistic here, if the Glazers finally get the feck out the door and whoever comes in funds us properly, we will be laughing long into the future. Liverpool will lose Firmino at the end of the season and I'm not sure he's going to be easy for them to replace.

Flexdegea

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?

So if we won 3 cups you be thinking back to a one of game, which was just 3 points dropped, basically their cup final at this stage of the season.

Strange take

Decade long lurker

It was gut wrenching. I still feel a bit pukey. But it’s still only 3 points dropped I suppose. All about the reaction now. Thursday Can’t come quick enough.no time for feeling sorry for themselves. Still lots to play for. I’d still take this season over last season every time.

Speak for yourself. A loss is a bigger memory for you than a trophy and a significantly better season-long performance?
Lets wait and see what's in the opening montage of Match of the Day next season.

Flexdegea

So you would trade a way worse season with nothing to play for but we won 7 nil, against 3 trophies?

Absolutely bizarre take :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

It is not more important than winning trophies. That is nonsense. Go lie down.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No.

It might be more relevant if Liverpool were actually better than us, but us finishing comfortably above them makes this result representative of nothing. There’s no ‘just shows how far they still need to go to catch the likes of Liverpool’. If we got beat 7 by Arsenal then perhaps.

Liverpool themselves got beat 7 by Villa and nobody cared in the long run because after that, Liverpool went back to being Liverpool and Villa went back to being Villa. As a result, it was simply just a singular game of football.

Nickelodeon

Teams which have recently become the best in Europe had formative seasons too. Pep’s City team got humiliated 4-0 at Everton, Klopp’s team got done 5-0 at City. On the flip side, Ole’s United too got beat 5-0 vs Liverpool. Naturally, like all our highs have been higher than anything our rivals have achieved, our lows seem similarly lower as well.

What the team does subsequently achieve in this season and the coming ones will decide whether this became a harsh lesson for a growing team or a ‘ending of a fairytale run for an average team’ moment.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you think this is the same as letting in 7 against Aston Villa?

People still bring up the 6-1 city from time to time
Letting in 7 against Villa is worse yes.

Our worst results get brought up more often because they’re rare and we’re massive.