Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Roane

He's not talked about. They don't teach about him in schools, they don't do TV documentaries on him. I know who he is because I was already a teenager when he performed the massacre, but I am not sure how much I would have known about it otherwise because he just is not mentioned much in most normal communities here. I am sure most people know the name and not much more.

As for what the people in charge of the poll did and should have done, I do not know.

There is literally films and books about this guy. Upto 10k people reported to visiting his shrine on the day. News reports. Newspaper articles. Opinion pieces. Interviews with his old man. Prayers in certain synagogues, around the world.

owlo

Whatever, make up scared monsters and that the whole world is against you if you feel that's reason enough to commit genocide against a population. I have never born any I'll hatred to random Jews, I would happily protect any Jewish people targeted by any viotrol I encounter in my own life, but yes I do actively dislike pro-Israel people, whether they happen to be Jewish or not. That's not submitting, that's showing you have some compassion for people suffering and not being genocide condoning maniacs. It doesn't matter if you're Jewish christinan or whatever. It's well below the standard for any decent human being.

And haha that last paragraph. So you don't care if the Palestinians get slaughtered. You're as bad as Hamas supporters, who want to see Israelis killed. Tell me, what's the difference between supporting Hamas and Israel and the IDF, when both commit mass murder against civillian? One kills way more than the other. Well it's good to know you're a genocide condoner, I bet the day a ceasefire is announced will be a sad day for you and other pro Israel nutters. I have no interest in discussing anything with you because everything you say is a veil to your real position - kill more Palestinians.
So you happen to 'dislike' the vast majority of Jews. And the only way you'll stop disliking them is, if they abandon a country that is the last bastion against Jewish hatred, and align with your views. What do you think that makes you?

Not caring doesn't mean you want something to happen. I don't care if a random guy in America has a heart attack tomorrow and dies due to the poor healthcare system for the poor. It will happen, and it happens every day. I don't want a random guy in America to have a heart attack and die tomorrow. But my brain simply doesn't have the bandwidth to deal with every inevitable. I don't want them to 'kill more palestinians' - it's a ridiculous statement.

My most extreme view is that they should do a Kuwait at this point, and just get rid of them. Which is indeed a war crime, but it's more humane than this.

owlo

A lot more than 10% know. But many would not.
Unless something has shifted from when I left in 2001, he's just a complete non entity, at least amongst younger people my age. I'd never heard of him until later. Those younger people will be in their 30s now like myself, and likely have only heard of him through Smotrich rambles or something (and then most will automatically think he's a crank). Perhaps older people are more aware.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So you happen to 'dislike' the vast majority of Jews. And the only way you'll stop disliking them is, if they abandon a country that is the last bastion against Jewish hatred, and align with your views. What do you think that makes you?

Not caring doesn't mean you want something to happen. I don't care if a random guy in America has a heart attack tomorrow and dies due to the poor healthcare system for the poor. It will happen, and it happens every day. I don't want a random guy in America to have a heart attack and die tomorrow. But my brain simply doesn't have the bandwidth to deal with every inevitable. I don't want them to 'kill more palestinians' - it's a ridiculous statement.

My most extreme view is that they should do a Kuwait at this point, and just get rid of them. Which is indeed a war crime, but it's more humane than this.
To what end, though? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by this? Get rid of who, and from where precidely?

RedC

if they abandon a country that is the last bastion against Jewish hatred,
I keep seeing you and others make this argument, but has anyone in this thread suggested that the Jews should completely depart Israel? The argument that everyone is making against the Israeli government is that they should stop committing war crimes and persecuting Palestinians, but I haven't seen anyone call for anything other than a 2 state solution.

Roane

Unless something has shifted from when I left in 2001, he's just a complete non entity, at least amongst younger people my age. I'd never heard of him until later. Those younger people will be in their 30s now like myself, and likely have only heard of him through Smotrich rambles or something (and then most will automatically think he's a crank). Perhaps older people are more aware.

Various reports of school kids singing his name whilst taunting Arabs. Not just now but since 1994. Reported on 11th August.

Documentaries shown at the Toronto Jewish festival containing content about him.

How cousin's 22 minute documentary

He has a fanclub.

Tik tok vids

The 119 "club" (he fired 119 bullets).

There are regular articles about him in places like The Jewish Journal. Not celebratory articles but articles looking at the massacres impact and quotations from senior rabbis/politicians etc condemning the massacre.

A quick Google will show you articles etc on the "anniversary" of the massacre, again not saying supporting, but yeah no one's heard of him

Roane

I keep seeing you and others make this argument, but has anyone in this thread suggested that the Jews should completely depart Israel? The argument that everyone is making against the Israeli government is that they should stop committing war crimes and persecuting Palestinians, but I haven't seen anyone call for anything other than a 2 state solution.

I really don't get the whole argument.

Don't take this as blase or whatever but Jewish people are afraid because of pro Palestinian flags and graffiti in your London's and Manchester's and cities in America. Schools are closing and the fear is highlighted in media etc in this country.

Yet the safest place is surrounded by Hamas, Hezbollah and "Arabs" who "hate us"?

Amir

There is literally films and books about this guy. Upto 10k people reported to visiting his shrine on the day. News reports. Newspaper articles. Opinion pieces. Interviews with his old man. Prayers in certain synagogues, around the world.
Possibly. But all that is happening in a very specific part of the population. An average person in Israel is not even aware of any of those things.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
To what end, though? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by this? Get rid of who, and from where precidely?
He means to ethnically cleanse Gaza of Palestinians, presumably by pushing them into the Sinai. He's referencing the forced ethnic cleansing of over 200,000 Palestinians from Kuwait to Jordan after the Gulf War. Arafat and the PLO had lent their support to Saddam's invasion and occupation and Kuwaiti Palestinians were considered guilty by association.

the_cliff

By the way, why do Israelis refer to Palestinians as "the Arabs"? In so many street interviews I see this pattern.
So do the media which is weird as they aren't actually Arabs. In fact most people in the 'so called' Arab countries aren't actually Arab. An example would be North Africa the people in those countries share more Iberian Dna than actual Arab DNA.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He means to ethnically cleanse Gaza of Palestinians, presumably by pushing them into the Sinai. He's referencing the forced ethnic cleansing of over 200,000 Palestinians from Kuwait to Jordan after the Gulf War. Arafat and the PLO had lent their support to Saddam's invasion and occupation and Kuwaiti Palestinians were considered guilty by association.
I know exactly what he meant, I just wanted him to explicitly say it.

Amir

Various reports of school kids singing his name whilst taunting Arabs. Not just now but since 1994. Reported on 11th August.

Documentaries shown at the Toronto Jewish festival containing content about him.

How cousin's 22 minute documentary

He has a fanclub.

Tik tok vids

The 119 "club" (he fired 119 bullets).

There are regular articles about him in places like The Jewish Journal. Not celebratory articles but articles looking at the massacres impact and quotations from senior rabbis/politicians etc condemning the massacre.

A quick Google will show you articles etc on the "anniversary" of the massacre, again not saying supporting, but yeah no one's heard of him
Did anyone say no one has heard of him? No. Just that he is a non entity for many.

I do not know what jewish people in Toronto, France or the US know or think of him. I can only talk about what is going on in Israel. And I have no idea who reads the Jewish Journal, especially here

owlo

It's hard to get honest opinions/answers because of the laws in the west, but the feeling I get is that the vast majority in this thread feel Israel is completely illegitimate, and that a two state solution is simply the first step to getting rid of it.

Yes. My argument/position has long been that in 1948, Israel should have been formed in somewhere like Alberta where they could flourish nicely, and the middle east left to the pan-palestinians. Unfortunately they were a useful geopolitical pawn to have right there, and that's where they wanted to be. Obviously Israel can't move now, and I think the situation is now hopeless, and they are in a position of either repeatedly killing to defend themselves and sitting in a cycle of violence, or simply being honest (like the Kuwaitis etc) and simply saying 'We don't believe you can live here in peace. We want your land.' Find them a spot of land, pay them reparations, and let people live in peace.

Of course it's wrong morally and there would be outcry, but it would cause far less pain, and in 50 years you'd hopefully have a thriving people outside of the influence of Iran etc. I disagree with pushing them into the Sinai though, they need a home not more displacement. There's plenty of land on the planet that the US etc are holding onto for no reason. Even nice islands.

Mike Smalling

It's hard to get honest opinions/answers because of the laws in the west, but the feeling I get is that the vast majority in this thread feel Israel is completely illegitimate, and that a two state solution is simply the first step to getting rid of it.
Yeah, well it's exactly that - just a feeling you get. You project some pretty terrible views onto people that criticize the conduct of the Israeli state, because it hurts your feelings or whatever.

Maybe, just maybe, people advocate for a two-state solution so that the Palestinian people get a chance of self-determination and not to live under the thumb of a government and people that hate them.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
By the way, why do Israelis refer to Palestinians as "the Arabs"? In so many street interviews I see this pattern.
Likely for the same reason Palestinians tend to refer to Israeli Jews as “the Jews”. That is how they referred to each other when all this started as “Palestinians” and “Israelis” were understood in different ways back then.

Roane

Did anyone say no one has heard of him? No. Just that he is a non entity for many.

I do not know what jewish people in Toronto, France or the US know or think of him. I can only talk about what is going on in Israel. And I have no idea who reads the Jewish Journal, especially here
To quote you

The reality of the matter is that the average Israeli doesn't hear much of Goldstein and I suspect younger people barely know who he is, if at all

But you're right maybe they don't watch the documentaries, read the papers, watch the tiktoks, see the processions etc

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So do the media which is weird as they aren't actually Arabs. In fact most people in the 'so called' Arab countries aren't actually Arab. An example would be North Africa the people in those countries share more Iberian Dna than actual Arab DNA.
That’s only if you consider Arabness in strictly genetic terms with origins in the Arabian Peninsula. Even then there is much evidence of tribes from there migrating into Palestine and greater Syria, and into North Africa, over the centuries.

Arabs however tend to think of it as a much broader umbrella encompassing language, culture, and heritage. Sati Al-Husri, who was the most influential ideologue of Arab nationalism in the early 20th century, said an Arab is anyone who speaks Arabic as their mother tongue. Though of course anyone is free to reject this.

In any case the charters of all Palestinian political parties describe Palestinians as an Arab people, part of the Arab nation, Palestine as an Arab land, and the Palestinian cause as an Arab cause. It would be crazy for an outsider to tell them they not Arab.

Traub

I really don't get the whole argument.

Don't take this as blase or whatever but Jewish people are afraid because of pro Palestinian flags and graffiti in your London's and Manchester's and cities in America. Schools are closing and the fear is highlighted in media etc in this country.

Yet the safest place is surrounded by Hamas, Hezbollah and "Arabs" who "hate us"?
Yes because Israel actually cares about Jews as opposed to these other places where we will be at the whim of whoever is in charge - who may end up being anti-semitic at some point in time as we have seen throughout history.

Jews aren't so easy to get rid of anymore because there is an Israel - the theoretical debate of whether it is safer in London or Tel Aviv as a Jew only exists because Israel exists.

Edit: this should probably be in that other thread.

owlo

Yeah, well it's exactly that - just a feeling you get. You project some pretty terrible views onto people that criticize the conduct of the Israeli state, because it hurts your feelings or whatever.

Maybe, just maybe, people advocate for a two-state solution so that the Palestinian people get a chance of self-determination and not to live under the thumb of a government and people that hate them.
Do you feel that Israel is a legitimate state with a right to maintain its security from terror and insurgency? Do you think it had a legitimate right to respond to these Hamas attacks within the framework of international law? (I make no judgment of whether they have broken international law at this stage)

A two state solution implies those rights.

Mike Smalling

Do you feel that Israel is a legitimate state with a right to maintain its security from terror and insurgency? Do you think it had a legitimate right to respond to these Hamas attacks within the framework of international law? (I make no judgment of whether they have broken international law at this stage)

A two state solution implies those rights.
Yes and yes. I have no wish to "get rid" of Israel, as you put it, and I haven't seen any posters in this thread advocate for it either - either directly or implicitly. Being very critical of the actions of a state is not the same as wishing it gone entirely.

RedC

Ok, well I would definitely argue against that impression. There are a hell of a lot of countries in the world founded on a similar basis, Israel is a legitimate country in 2023 and anyone in their right mind isn't going to suggest that it could be made otherwise.

My impression of this thread, along with my own opinion is that what outsiders are arguing for is that something fairer needs to be done to ultimately allow for equal rights and acceptable identity/home lands to be provided for all parties, and for that to be demonstrably proven in practice, and not just in name.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Yes. My argument/position has long been that in 1948, Israel should have been formed in somewhere like Alberta where they could flourish nicely, and the middle east left to the pan-palestinians. Unfortunately they were a useful geopolitical pawn to have right there, and that's where they wanted to be. Obviously Israel can't move now, and I think the situation is now hopeless, and they are in a position of either repeatedly killing to defend themselves and sitting in a cycle of violence, or simply being honest (like the Kuwaitis etc) and simply saying 'We don't believe you can live here in peace. We want your land.' Find them a spot of land, pay them reparations, and let people live in peace.

Of course it's wrong morally and there would be outcry, but it would cause far less pain, and in 50 years you'd hopefully have a thriving people outside of the influence of Iran etc. I disagree with pushing them into the Sinai though, they need a home not more displacement. There's plenty of land on the planet that the US etc are holding onto for no reason. Even nice islands.
But imagine if someone said about Israel what you’re saying here about the Palestinians. I don’t see how you can on one hand be worried about people wanting a two state solution potentially developing into questioning Israel’s right to exist, which I haven’t seen suggested anywhere in this thread, and at the same time say what you just said about Palestine.

Kaos

Regardless of whether you think its origins are illegitimate or otherwise, the country is there to stay, and it makes no sense from a humanitarian perspective to simply 'get rid of it' so to speak. In truth, no country has the fundamental right to exist if we're arguing historical pedantry, but every country has the right for peace and stability within declared borders. That includes Israel.

Having said that, Israel's issue is it's not acting like a country that wishes to sincerely pursue peace. A country that has refused to declare her borders, that continues to occupy territory, and one that continues to exercise apartheid in the West Bank and essentially imprison 2.3million people in inhumane conditions in Gaza. That version of Israel is one most of us hold issue with and one we wish to no longer persist - again I stress this strongly, not in a literal sense, but in a manifested sense. The same way I don't want the Islamic Republic of Iran to exist, but rather a democratic secular Iran.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

They are also apparently using colored smoke bombs which when dropped into tunnels permeate out of other tunnel exits, which gives those on the outside more visibility on where all the tunnel entrances/exits are.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So far the Nasrullah speech is a lot of complaining about Israeli actions inside Gaza (they're going after civilians as opposed to military targets etc).

Also, the usual historical grievances going back 7 decades.

A lengthy rant about the US - saying Khomeini was right in calling them the devil. :cool:

Blaming the US - It is they who want the violence in Gaza.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Said the Oct 7 attack was 100% Palestinian. Read between the lines, he's saying we had nothing to do with it, so don't trigger us else we'll retaliate.
He'll end the speech with the usual threat and that will be that. No war for the time being.

Roane

So far the Nasrullah speech is a lot of complaining about Israeli actions inside Gaza (they're going after civilians as opposed to military targets etc). Also, the usual historical grievances going back 7 decades.
Complaining about them there facts

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Now, Nasrullah giving positive shoutouts to our guys in Iraq and Yemen seizing the initiative (on obvious shoutout to Iranian proxies in Iraq and Yemen attacking Israel and US interests).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How is that supposed to work?
Probaly on the grounds on mistrust. Apart from 80 years of conflict, even if "from the river to the sea" doesnt mean killing all jews its means the end of Israel. I think unfortunately the point of no return has passed in terms of mutual respect and good faith for it ever to become a reality.

RedC

Probaly on the grounds on mistrust. Apart from 80 years of conflict, even if "from the river to the sea" doesnt mean killing all jews its means the end of Israel. I think unfortunately the point of no return has passed in terms of mutual respect and good faith for it ever to become a reality.
Good faith is only needed if the state in question isn't a military superpower with nukes. Literally nobody is getting rid of Israel, no matter how much they hate them, without the whole world essentially ending.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Good faith is only needed if the state in question isn't a military superpower with nukes. Literally nobody is getting rid of Israel, no matter how much they hate them, without the whole world essentially ending.
No but it wouldn't necessarily stop their neighbours from trying. Nuking in your backyard isnt going happen vs an enemy far away.

But the thing is. The nr. 1 priority of a good goverment is security. If Israel based on the last 80 years feel their security would be comprised its nothing going to happen. From the plo blowing up school busses and cafes, to hijacking airplanes, to having 3 major wars involving the neighbours to etc etc... and in a similar vein apart from jihadist extremists there will always be real sense among Palestinians that revenge is appropriate

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They are also apparently using colored smoke bombs which when dropped into tunnels permeate out of other tunnel exits, which gives those on the outside more visibility on where all the tunnel entrances/exits are.
Smart.

Amir

To quote you

The reality of the matter is that the average Israeli doesn't hear much of Goldstein and I suspect younger people barely know who he is, if at all

But you're right maybe they don't watch the documentaries, read the papers, watch the tiktoks, see the processions etc
You think young people read the papers? ;)

As for the processions... What proccesions? I don't think I ever saw one. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm sure they do, just that - again - it's not something that the average Israeli is exposed to.

Naturally, I can only speak from my position as an average Israel living in Israel, seeing Israeli media, talking to Israeli people, etc. I don't know what's is going on in the Toronto Documentary Festival....

I was a teenager when Goldstein committed that massacre. So I'll always know the name and what he did, and I remember it when his name is mentioned here and there. But it doesn't happen often in large parts of the Israeli society. It's just a fact. Just like it's a fact that he IS unfortunately a hero to a certain section of the local population. But even if that revolting section of people and their actions are highlighted, it doesn't mean they represent a significant percentage of the Israelis.