Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ban

I don't think predicting we'd win at home against an awful team that's last in the league is a shit prediction, but it certainly turned out to be that way, yes :(

You grow used to it over the years though, so it's almost as if you're expecting it when shit like this happens. I certainly do care and it sucks big time that we always feck it up in 'easy' games like this, but I won't lose any sleep over it.
Relax. It's just banter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Haha, calm down. You made a shit prediction and got called out on it. No harm done.

No need to embarrass yourself with the "I don't even care about football" stuff. Not when you spend your life on a Man United forum.
:lol: you're so mean.

Ban

He mainly just criticised our defending from what I read.
Too bad. :)

Jokes aside what's your take on things. This year haven't really started like brightly. Defense leaking and goals not flying around like it used to be.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Any juice comments by Klopp?
Just read he said it was 'too quiet' in the stadium. Also wasn't pleased about the early kick off time. Not much moaning as such - so far:D

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Too bad. :)

Jokes aside what's your take on things. This year haven't really started like brightly. Defense leaking and goals not flying around like it used to be.
We've been stuttering on and off since we beat Watford 6-1. Coutinho got injured a few games after that and we've been a mixed bag since. Some good wins like Stoke and Middlesbrough, and some bad results/performances like today and Sunderland.

My opinion is that the amount of changes we've had to make due to injuries has damaged our fluidity going forward. Firmino and Lallana have been moved around the midfield/frontline, players like Can/Klavan have been in and out of the side, and the likes of Henderson, Matip, Coutinho and Mane have been absent for weeks at a time. When you compare that to before the last international break where we were playing the same side most weeks, you can see that the forced changes have hurt us. Chelsea rarely have any injuries and get to play the same starting XI most weeks, and look where they are.

I still expect a top four finish but we'll need better luck with injuries to do it, because we've struggled to adapt to them so far.

Ban

We've been stuttering on and off since we beat Watford 6-1. Coutinho got injured a few games after that and we've been a mixed bag since. Some good wins like Stoke and Middlesbrough, and some bad results/performances like today and Sunderland.

My opinion is that the amount of changes we've had to make due to injuries has damaged our fluidity going forward. Firmino and Lallana have been moved around the midfield/frontline, players like Can/Klavan have been in and out of the side, and the likes of Henderson, Matip, Coutinho and Mane have been absent for weeks at a time. When you compare that to before the last international break where we were playing the same side most weeks, you can see that the forced changes have hurt us. Chelsea rarely have any injuries and get to play the same starting XI most weeks, and look where they are.

I still expect a top four finish but we'll need better luck with injuries to do it, because we've struggled to adapt to them so far.
You don't think you can win a title? As I see your game with Chelsea is soon so a chance to get closer to them there.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You don't think you can win a title? As I see your game with Chelsea is soon so a chance to get closer to them there.
Nah we're not good enough to win it. I've said that all season to be honest.

We'll probably beat Chelsea then lose away at Hull anyway.

Bojan11

Without Mane they are predictable.

They don't have anybody like him in their attack.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Without Mane they are predictable.

They don't have anybody like him in their attack.
I always maintained Mane was our main man. When Coutinho got injured I said it, and not buying Adama Traore on 1st January to replace that pace I will say it again.

We are predictable but we scored two goals. We can predictably score goals. The only problem is we have a 100% shots on target vs goals scored ratio against. When that ratio goes against us its spectacular, e.g. Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and now Swansea. When that ratio doesn't hold up we beat any team put in front of us be it City, Stoke, well not Utd obviously, Chelsea, etc.

We are predictably weird.

montpelier

Lovren would be better if he didn't think he was some kind of a composite of Baresi, Beckenbauer & Adams/McGrath/Butcher/Terry.

Needs to keep it simple doesn't he?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Nah we're not good enough to win it. I've said that all season to be honest.

We'll probably beat Chelsea then lose away at Hull anyway.
Take Coutinho and Mane out of our team and we are full of non-top 6 players. None of our players (barring those two) would have a hope in hell of making a starting XI of any of the other teams. That includes Firmino and Lallana as good as they have been this season. Couple that with a defence and goalie that wouldn't make a top half of the table starting XI its pretty amazing where we are.

League title talk was laughable and a myth perpetuated here (can't talk about RAWK I have never been there and have no intention of going there). My eyes are and always have been firmly on Utd, Spurs and now City. They are the only dangers to us and our finishing success in May.

montpelier

Firmino & Lallana have been top, top players this season. Rate of scoring was giving you a chance & good results vs. contenders to back it up.

Defence can be got at.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I always maintained Mane was our main man. When Coutinho got injured I said it, and not buying Adama Traore on 1st January to replace that pace I will say it again.

We are predictable but we scored two goals. We can predictably score goals. The only problem is we have a 100% shots on target vs goals scored ratio against. When that ratio goes against us its spectacular, e.g. Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and now Swansea. When that ratio doesn't hold up we beat any team put in front of us be it City, Stoke, well not Utd obviously, Chelsea, etc.

Adama Traore can't play football at all, he's just fast and that's literally it. He would've been an awful buy.

Ra5hid

I don't think anyone has noticed or mentioned it anyway, but the week in which the famous steven 'slippy' gerrard announces that he is the new academy coach, liverpool lose, for the first home defeat of the season losing to swansea who previously had lost 6 of last 7 games. No one could have predicted they would lose their home record to swansea of all the teams.

The bad luck has returned GERRARD!!!! Long may it continue, amen!!!!!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
^^ I like that kind of deduction. Thinking out of the box :D.

Firmino's second goal reminds me of RvN'. It was a beauty. Didn't know he has it in him.

@Dumbstar. I guess top 4 is still Liverpool's to lose ;)

Robbie Boy

Adama Traore can't play football at all, he's just fast and that's literally it. He would've been an awful buy.
Agreed. Seems there's a bit of hype around him all of a sudden (Chelsea recently linked with him) but to me, he looks bloody awful bar his scintillating pace. He's still young so plenty of time to improve, I guess.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Liverpool need to change it to 'This is our season'. 'This is our year only lasts until January.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I don't think predicting we'd win at home against an awful team that's last in the league is a shit prediction, but it certainly turned out to be that way, yes :(

You grow used to it over the years though, so it's almost as if you're expecting it when shit like this happens. I certainly do care and it sucks big time that we always feck it up in 'easy' games like this, but I won't lose any sleep over it.
You taking things to seriously bro, no matter what is your ambition a game like this will always pop up here and there. Great teams will bounce back and go make another series of wins. I think klopp has it in him. Just that you have remember this is not bundesliga. Anyone will trash anyone on their day. Liverpool will be OK.

Rafateria

Lovren would be better if he didn't think he was some kind of a composite of Baresi, Beckenbauer & Adams/McGrath/Butcher/Terry.

Needs to keep it simple doesn't he?
Lovren's head goes after he makes a mistake, he was like that yesterday. Klavan was awful from the word go and isn't the leader at the back. It's why when Matip plays Lovren is usually much better. We need a quality CB to replace Lovren. I have hopes Gomez may come through but will be lingering, not first choice though, for a couple of years.

Rafateria

A lot of hype but I'm with you on this one. We already have one speedster in Ojo ... he should have been on the bench yesterday because we were crying out for someone with the pace and skill-set to get in behind and for width.

Rafateria

Take Coutinho and Mane out of our team and we are full of non-top 6 players. None of our players (barring those two) would have a hope in hell of making a starting XI of any of the other teams. That includes Firmino and Lallana as good as they have been this season. Couple that with a defence and goalie that wouldn't make a top half of the table starting XI its pretty amazing where we are.
Sorry but that's just rubbish. You don't have to be an apologist (a claim I could make of a couple of our other Pool posters but surprised at you TBH) just because you are on a United forum. Firmino, Lallana, Milner, Clyne, Henderson and Matip would all have claims for slots in some of the Top 6 teams, just because they collectively were utter shite yesterday doesn't nullify the reason we have being playing well for so long.

Our downturn in form has coincided with the loss of Coutinho & Matip, then Henderson and now Mane at AFCON. This has meant a much poorer central defence leaking goals, a midfield that lacked cohesion and a disjointed attack that lacks the direction and pace that Lallana sitting in midfield and Mane on the wing, has given them. Bringing Can into the team has hindered not helped.

I was very wrong on the depth of our squad and being able to cope with loss due to injuries .. but then I didn't foresee the loss of so many key players.

Last edited:

Runner

Sorry but that's just rubbish. You don't have to be an apologist just because you are on a United forum. Firmino, Lallana, Milner, Clyne, Henderson and Matip would all have claims for slots in some of the Top 6 teams, just because they collectively were utter shite yesterday doesn't nullify the reason we have being playing well for so long.
Milner couldn't get a look in at city and left for playing time. Henderson could make the step up but I don't think Lallana, firmino are good enough. Clyne is your version of Raphael. I'm still not decided on matip.

Rafateria

Milner couldn't get a look in at city and left for playing time. Henderson could make the step up but I don't think Lallana, firmino are good enough. Clyne is your version of Raphael. I'm still not decided on matip.
Milner didn't play LB at City, look at their midfield, it's no surprise he decided to leave .... you don't think he's a better LB than Clichy ? Seriously ? A case can certainly be made for Firmino and Lallana in some of the Top 6 and Matip has an excellent record, one of the best CBs in the BL and has only conceded 9 goals in the 11 matches he has started at Liverpool. He'd walk into pretty much every Top 6 back line. Clyne is a very very steady 7/10 with the occasional high and low and again for most of the Top 6 he would be challenging for a starting place.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

League title talk was laughable and a myth perpetuated here (can't talk about RAWK I have never been there and have no intention of going there). My eyes are and always have been firmly on Utd, Spurs and now City. They are the only dangers to us and our finishing success in May.
You don't have great players, but imo you have a very good team instead.

Certainly more than the sum of their parts.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
2 wins in 9. One against Plymouth.

What a manager.
And to think, a few weeks ago I got hammered by pool fans for suggesting managers we're figuring them out and they were about to go on a bad run.

One of them even made the statement that Klopp's system couldn't really be countered so it didn't matter.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Klopp's sides have always been about pace. Once it goes away, they struggle. They badly need Manè back.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
2 wins in 9. One against Plymouth.

What a manager.
I said this in October:
This high energy stuff doesn't work without a winter break.

His Dortmund side would take a month off from late December to late January. Liverpool will play 8 or 9 games over that period.
We've only got three league games in January and after we play Everton 17th December we only have two more games against (Stoke and City) for the rest of the month. If we get drawn against lower league opposition in the FA Cup then I'll expect Klopp to rotate for the third round game like he did last season.

My only concern is what we do if it's not working or we're missing a couple of key players like Mane and Firmino. I think we're overly reliant on our first XI staying fit. You could probably swap someone like Wijnaldum or one of the CB's out without doing much damage but I'm not sure about the rest.

You can't take it out of context though. In the Bundesliga German teams had more time to rest so Dortmund players had to push even harder to tire them out again. In England we're not the only ones who will be having games on 14th, 17th, etc, etc, in a row. So will the opponents we face. Without a winter break they will wilt under less pressure than Dortmund needed to adopt under Klopp in Germany.
You're missing the point, it doesn't matter what the opposition do, your advantage is the intensity in your play and the energy you press with. A month off to re-energise for the run in is a huge help. Replacing that break with an even thicker list of fixtures than normal and fatigue and injuries could seriously hinder your advantage.

You have a game on the 14th, 17th, 26th, 31st, 2nd, 14th and 23rd + a likely league cup and FA Cup match. The players then have an international break to deal with.

I really question whether that squad can cope with those games and keep up the style of play.
There's no question the intensity in their game has dropped in recent weeks and as I said back then, that was their ace card. That's how they were overwhelming teams and smashing out results. Without that advantage, they've struggled to put teams to the sword and results have slipped.

FWIW, I think they will get into rhythm again soon as they will be dropping back down to a game a week.

With European football of some description next season they are going to need at least 4 first team players before they sell.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance

You appear to be borrowing City's excuses for having a weak defence. We had more than one shot on target last week and you only conceded from one of them.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Sorry but that's just rubbish. You don't have to be an apologist (a claim I could make of a couple of our other Pool posters but surprised at you TBH) just because you are on a United forum. Firmino, Lallana, Milner, Clyne, Henderson and Matip would all have claims for slots in some of the Top 6 teams, just because they collectively were utter shite yesterday doesn't nullify the reason we have being playing well for so long.
And gosh what a mistake it turned out to sell Joe Allen. Full blown disaster. He could easily slip into the Lallana role currently, or as a replacement up front provide somebody that runs unlike Sturridge; or somebody that can stop a football dead with his feet unlike Origi. Or just not being Emre Can.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I said this in October:

There's no question the intensity in their game has dropped in recent weeks and as I said back then, that was their ace card. That's how they were overwhelming teams and smashing out results. Without that advantage, they've struggled to put teams to the sword and results have slipped.

FWIW, I think they will get into rhythm again soon as they will be dropping back down to a game a week.

With European football of some description next season they are going to need at least 4 first team players before they sell.
It was a bit predictable when the squad still full of players of his choice. Same thing happened with Marseille under Bielsa in that season where they competed for the title (and with the winter break). They were playing a high intensity 90min press in each game and in the 2nd half of the season, they just couldn't keep it up anymore and lost many points in the process.
It is a tough style of football and needs to have players in great condition, not too many injuries to key players.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
It was a bit predictable when the squad still full of players of his choice. Same thing happened with Marseille under Bielsa in that season where they competed for the title (and with the winter break). They were playing a high intensity 90min press in each game and in the 2nd half of the season, they just couldn't keep it up anymore and lost many points in the process.
It is a tough style of football and needs to have players in great condition, not too many injuries to key players.
People talk as if they play this high intensity press all game every game, they don't and I don't see any issues with them fading physically.

The simple truth is that they are slightly out of form at the moment and have been impacted by Coutinho only just coming back at the same time as Mane is away.

I think they will definitely finish in the CL positions.