Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I always maintained Mane was our main man. When Coutinho got injured I said it, and not buying Adama Traore on 1st January to replace that pace I will say it again.

We are predictable but we scored two goals. We can predictably score goals. The only problem is we have a 100% shots on target vs goals scored ratio against. When that ratio goes against us its spectacular, e.g. Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and now Swansea. When that ratio doesn't hold up we beat any team put in front of us be it City, Stoke, well not Utd obviously, Chelsea, etc.

We are predictably weird.
West Ham: 7 shots, 3 on target, 2 scored.

Bournemouth: 12 shots, 8 on target, 4 goals.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People talk as if they play this high intensity press all game every game, they don't and I don't see any issues with them fading physically.

The simple truth is that they are slightly out of form at the moment and have been impacted by Coutinho only just coming back at the same time as Mane is away.

I think they will definitely finish in the CL positions.
They don't because they can't but they try to in most games. All in all, their shortcomings come from that terrible backline and specially those joke keepers they have on their team.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
It was a bit predictable when the squad still full of players of his choice. Same thing happened with Marseille under Bielsa in that season where they competed for the title (and with the winter break). They were playing a high intensity 90min press in each game and in the 2nd half of the season, they just couldn't keep it up anymore and lost many points in the process.
It is a tough style of football and needs to have players in great condition, not too many injuries to key players.
It's almost as if the laws of physics, bio-mechanics, nature, physiology and meteorology are conspiring with the FA and old Mr Ferguson to prevent the glorious Klopp from fulfilling his density and returning Liverpool to their right full place as Kings of English Football and robber barons of Europe.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Yes, that was probably the message he wanted to convey through sarcasm. Hence the need to "explain", "clarify" etc, as other managers and players had to do, it's not a big deal. Is he better than Sagna, or Wenger for example? Intentionally or not, he implied that Liverpool does not have the same treatment by the referees as other teams. I don't mind it, that's what managers do, but both you and I know how annoyingly inconsistent the FA can be (and perhaps will be in case of Klopp's bitter comment).

Who did Klopp refer to then?

If Sagna's "10 against 12... but still fighting and winning as a team" Instagram remark was considered to be a reference to the referee, and had to be explained to the FA, so should be Klopp's "...most of the teams play against us without offside rule".

As for your other point, by using plural he made it sound worse actually - as if it was a frequent occurrence in Liverpool's games, suggesting they were more than once exposed to unequal and unfair treatment by the refs.
I'm not defending what he said. I'm just pointing out it wasn't to the ref and therefore any manager can get away with it.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
People talk as if they play this high intensity press all game every game, they don't and I don't see any issues with them fading physically.

The simple truth is that they are slightly out of form at the moment and have been impacted by Coutinho only just coming back at the same time as Mane is away.

Agree with this.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Adama Traore can't play football at all, he's just fast and that's literally it. He would've been an awful buy.
If Klopp rated him he would have signed him last summer. Clearly he doesn't.

I tend to agree that he would have been a poor buy.

EyeInTheSky

I don't think anyone has noticed or mentioned it anyway, but the week in which the famous steven 'slippy' gerrard announces that he is the new academy coach, liverpool lose, for the first home defeat of the season losing to swansea who previously had lost 6 of last 7 games. No one could have predicted they would lose their home record to swansea of all the teams.

The bad luck has returned GERRARD!!!! Long may it continue, amen!!!!!
Welcome back footballing genius

"Cheer up slippy G, oh what can it be, you slipped against Chelsea and lost your (pause)team the leeeeague!"

NoLogo

I think someone on here predicted this that they would suffer once he is gone due to his Africa Cup duties. Not only because of his ability to beat a man but also because of his vital contribution to their pressing game. Seems like that person was spot on.

Strachans Cigar

Will be interesting to see how he approaches the two cup games.

Good time for Southampton to be playing them, they will have took great heart from that Swansea game and they outplayed Liverpool at home.

Then against Wolves, he has the conundrum of the Chelsea game just after. Does he play the kids again as Wolves are not Plymouth? Suppose this one depends on how the Saints game goes...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

West Ham sort of prove my point. Didn't realise Bournemouth had 8 on target. Felt less. But to your point about fitness. Lallana and Firmino look fresh as daisies at the moment. Fitness hasn't stopped us carrying out our game plan exceptionally well.

In the league we've scored 2 against Sunderland, 1 against Utd away, 2 against Swansea. All those goals but no wins. No composure at the back, even Utd should have scored more than 1.

Klopp could scrap his system entirely to prevent players tiring, play bus park football for the rest of the season and we'd still continue conceding every game. Only difference would be we'd not be scoring either.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

No one us is certain to finish in the top 4 except maybe Chelsea.

Far too little between the top teams.Seeing how this season is going, it could come down to something like a refereeing blunder.

Its not out of the question for Liverpool to fade too. Although they have the advantage of no European football which I think will hurt United, Spurs and City .Arsenal basically only have two games to worry about .

alanjohnson

Klopp won back to back titles in a time when Van Gaal was putting Bayern through his philosophy...it's not like Klopp had other top teams to compete with in that league. At the same time he deserves a lot of credit for taking Liverpool to where they're at right now playing the type of football they have.....on paper they're a poor side, but he makes them play for him.
Look at our team.....personally I don't like Pogba because of his whole persona and hype especially since he left us and cost 90mill. Our team is full of expensive players yet we're not even top 4.

HOWEVER
We all know his high pressing, stamina based football lasts as long as it can last until players get burnt out. That is not the way to acheive sustained success...hence his Dortmund side became abysmal when they only really have one competitor in the league. He's going to eventually fail hard at liverpool once the pressure is truely on and he needs to deliver. Unless liverpool's owners are happy with top 4 finishes every year, but if he ever goes 2 years outside the top 4 (not inc this season btw), he's sacked.

Also imo.....they've been a relatively unknown quantity under Klopp...they have that element of surprise. When people figure out his system, they'll struggle just like other top managers eventually get sussed out.

Still, I like Klopp....they smashed us so bad last season and yet there's someone here trying to tell us Van Gaal was a better manager (he spent over 200million).

Ban

Still, I like Klopp....they smashed us so bad last season and yet there's someone here trying to tell us Van Gaal was a better manager (he spent over 200million).
Sorry but how exactly did they smash us so bad last season?

alanjohnson

De gea is a world class member of our team. That's precisely why it couldnt be 'easily' 6-0. Why do people always want to discount the contribution of a good goalie doing his job well and acting like it's some kind of good fortune.
good point of course but it's pointing to how good they were that day in terms of their domination. Looking at a result and stats doesn't illustrate exactly how dominant they were..and how poor we were that night.

So you're just ignoring the matches we won 3-0, 3-1 and 2-1?

Sometimes google isn't that reliable, forget the 2-1 and 3-0, add in a 1-0 instead.
We beat them 3-1 when B.Rodgers was their manager and basically on his way out. Klopp didn't just come in and magically transform them in a day, it took months of work..so when we beat them 1-0 that result meant nothing to either team. The league was already lost for both teams and klopp was busy experimenting. Btw they didn't have a striker on the pitch that day either.

Them beating us in the Europa league mattered because both teams wanted that trophy.

Robbie Boy

Milner couldn't get a look in at city and left for playing time. Henderson could make the step up but I don't think Lallana, firmino are good enough. Clyne is your version of Raphael. I'm still not decided on matip.
Clyne is fecking shite and Lallana and Firmino are ok but nothing special.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Ah yes, because MOTD are credible in their coverage. :lol:

Last night, MOTD
-failed to address Rooney's nasty, career-ending tackle on James Milner.
-failed to address Pogba's shocking, borderline-vile foul on Henderson during a Liverpool corner.
-failed to address the fact cross in 83rd minute (that is the chance that led to Ibrahimovic's goal later on) came from an offside position.
-failed to address the fact Man United have scored 5 goals from an offside position this season, more than any other side by a country mile.

They failed to do that, but they did make the highlights all about United's "chances" while excluding a number of our own, all the while their commentator focused on Firmino's reaction to getting blatantly pulled by a shirt for at least 5 seconds in the most unsportsmanship form of on-pitch behaviour I've ever seen in English football.

That is the same MOTD that had Phil Neville rant about how great the British citizen and England's defender John Stones is, and how bad the (coincidentally, I'm sure) foreign defenders in his team are, implying he doesn't deserve any criticism and that he is over-criticized all the time, while people like Bravo totally get away with it week in, week out. :lol:

Ridiculous, delusional, xenophobic. Typical MOTD coverage really.

In the second segment he then went on about how the British citizen and England's midfielder Adam Lallana was the key to Liverpool shutting down the play of the best Man United player on the pitch, the British citizen and former England's midfielder Michael Carrick.
His "analysis" was just a bunch of poorly-worded drivel that pandered to BBC's involuntary taxpaying viewers.

So next time you claim unbiased views and MOTD are somehow connected, I suggest you first think long and hard about your claim, or at least watch the match first.

With best regards,

an only slightly salty Liverpool fan.
Oh my god you are adorable!!

Ban

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35763810
that 2-0 could easily have been 4 or 5-0...even 6-0...De Gea saved us.
Just one game. I though in general. And that in a season we beat them at OT and Anfield too in the league.

Also us beating them in the league was important cause in that time we were still chasing CL.

Sure both teams wanted that trophy and neither got that EL trophy in the end.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Although it was an awful result, it was encouraging to see Firmino play so well. He's looked poor recently but was back to his best yesterday.

Unfortunately for us some other players had shockers. Henderson's performance was reminiscent of his shocker at Burnley. I think we're going to need to look at improving the core of the side in the summer. A CB, midfielder and striker are what we should focus on. I wouldn't mind a left back as well but Klopp seems to think we're fine in that position. :eek:

We need to win the next three games. If we lose all of them we'll only have top four to compete for.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I think the point being made is that we don't concede many attempts on our goal (the fewest in the league I think?) but seem to concede goals regardless. It's like most of the chances the opposition has is a big chance that they should realistically expect to score from.

It's not like some of the chances Burnley have had at Arsenal today for example. They've had shots but not really any that you'd say they should score from.

It says a lot that the last time we won a trophy was 2012 (under Dalglish) and that was the last time we looked ok defensively. Compared to how we were under Rodgers I don't think we're as weak as we were at the back, but it's still a problem area for us.

arthurka

Although it was an awful result, it was encouraging to see Firmino play so well. He's looked poor recently but was back to his best yesterday.

Unfortunately for us some other players had shockers. Henderson's performance was reminiscent of his shocker at Burnley. I think we're going to need to look at improving the core of the side in the summer. A CB, midfielder and striker are what we should focus on. I wouldn't mind a left back as well but Klopp seems to think we're fine in that position. :eek:

We need to win the next three games. If we lose all of them we'll only have top four to compete for.
Yes Firmino is playing really well, he got lucky that the first one didnt get disallowed.. But the second was a peach..

Klopp hoof troops look a little knackered atm. I said earlier here that Liverpool wouldn't win the league with this defence and I stand by that.

2 wins in the last 9 vs Plymouth, Sunderland, Swansea is not champions form by any stretch of the imagination.. And sadly Klopp is showing some of the traits he showed when he was loosing it at Dortmund.

I totally agree with you that you need to start picking up some form quickly if you are not to go into a dogfight for 4th.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yes Firmino is playing really well, he got lucky that the first one didnt get disallowed.. But the second was a peach..

Klopp hoof troops look a little knackered atm. I said earlier here that Liverpool wouldn't win the league with this defence and I stand buy that.

2 wins in the last 9 vs Plymouth, Sunderland, Swansea is not champions form by any stretch of the imagination.. And sadly Klopp is showing some of the traits he showed when he was loosing it at Dortmund.

I totally agree with you that you need to start picking up some form quickly if you are not to go into a dogfight for 4th.
:lol:

alanjohnson

Just one game. I though in general. And that in a season we beat them at OT and Anfield too in the league.

Also us beating them in the league was important cause in that time we were still chasing CL.

Sure both teams wanted that trophy and neither got that EL trophy in the end.
Keep in mind I was responding to something said earlier about Van Gaal being better than Klopp because he was the FA cup and got us into top 4. The implication being that if Klopp doesn't win a trophy this season then Van Gaal is better.
As I pointed out we beat them 3-1 easily when they were under Brendan. At the time we were also doing well in the league and they were at a low point. Brendan got the sack and then Klopp took time implementing his system with a team that wasn't really his. so he experimented a lot. I thought when we beat them 1-0 they were still in transition.
When we got them in the Europa League at that point there was a different feeling about liverpool. They were playing a lot better and more to Klopp's tune. So we were looking at a fairer reflection of where liverpool were at compared to us when they beat us like that. That was imo what we really saw of Klopp vs Van Gaal.
At that point Van Gaal had had far more time and spent far more money only for us to lose like that.

Now with Mourinho around it's looking more even when we've faced off and the argument in Jose's favour is he's had less time so we're not seeing a proper Jose side yet (i mean in terms of our league position right now). We're slowly getting there. Jose has still had the luxury of spending a lot more than Klopp too.

I'm just annoyed at the way our fans are laughing at Klopp. He's done a really good job so far and certainly better than Jose and Van Gaal (so far).

Rafateria

And gosh what a mistake it turned out to sell Joe Allen. Full blown disaster. He could easily slip into the Lallana role currently, or as a replacement up front provide somebody that runs unlike Sturridge; or somebody that can stop a football dead with his feet unlike Origi. Or just not being Emre Can.
He would have been a far better back up in midfield than Can, absolutely. He's been excellent for Stoke and was again in the 1st half vs. United, merely adequate in the 2nd though. Yep, we got rid of him at least a season too early.

Ban

Keep in mind I was responding to something said earlier about Van Gaal being better than Klopp because he was the FA cup and got us into top 4. The implication being that if Klopp doesn't win a trophy this season then Van Gaal is better.
As I pointed out we beat them 3-1 easily when they were under Brendan. At the time we were also doing well in the league and they were at a low point. Brendan got the sack and then Klopp took time implementing his system with a team that wasn't really his. so he experimented a lot. I thought when we beat them 1-0 they were still in transition.
When we got them in the Europa League at that point there was a different feeling about liverpool. They were playing a lot better and more to Klopp's tune. So we were looking at a fairer reflection of where liverpool were at compared to us when they beat us like that. That was imo what we really saw of Klopp vs Van Gaal.
At that point Van Gaal had had far more time and spent far more money only for us to lose like that.

Now with Mourinho around it's looking more even when we've faced off and the argument in Jose's favour is he's had less time so we're not seeing a proper Jose side yet (i mean in terms of our league position right now). We're slowly getting there. Jose has still had the luxury of spending a lot more than Klopp too.

I'm just annoyed at the way our fans are laughing at Klopp. He's done a really good job so far and certainly better than Jose and Van Gaal (so far).
Fair enough. :)
I think most people know he is a good manager. People laugh at his hypocrite comments.

alanjohnson

The only manager i've seen who was not a hypocrite was Sir Bobby Robson. All the others inc Sir Alex Ferguson simply 'play the game

Rafateria

Klopp hoof troops look a little knackered atm. I said earlier here that Liverpool wouldn't win the league with this defence and I stand by that.

I'm not surprised they are a little tired, but it doesn't seem to be affecting their pressing much, they had incredible kms run stats over the holiday period despite 3 games in 143 hrs.

Also including 2 games where we played the kids and reserves (not one 1st teamer starting) against Plymouth, in those stats is a little disingenuous to say the least. When people say 'this defence' I wish they would clarify their comment or do you mean out 1st choice defence ? The issue is that we have a very good defence when at full strength (Matip's record of 9 goals conceded in 11 games proof enough, and we kept United to one offside goal over two matches) but too often injuries have hurt us and when we aren't at full strength the replacements are simply not good enough.

We are already in a dogfight for Top 4, along with 4 other teams, and have been for most of the season so far.

arthurka

I'm not surprised they are a little tired, but it doesn't seem to be affecting their pressing much, they had incredible kms run stats over the holiday period despite 3 games in 143 hrs.

Also including 2 games where we played the kids and reserves (not one 1st teamer starting) against Plymouth, in those stats is a little disingenuous to say the least. When people say 'this defence' I wish they would clarify their comment or do you mean out 1st choice defence ? The issue is that we have a very good defence when at full strength (Matip's record of 9 goals conceded in 11 games proof enough, and we kept United to one offside goal over two matches) but too often injuries have hurt us and when we aren't at full strength the replacements are simply not good enough.

We are already in a dogfight for Top 4, along with 4 other teams, and have been for most of the season so far.
Well thats not really impressive we are shit at scoring... Ask Burnley and Stoke...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Matip is clearly the next Lucas in minds of the deranged scousers. One more injury or layoff and he'll be world class.