Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're in a Sancho thread, I think you can figure it out it's not that hard.
Saying you are getting worried after he played 30 minutes of a game where the whole team minus Pogba was off is just fecking dumb though, so I wanted to check.

I’m fairly sure that Utd, Solksjaer and the scouts knew that he ‘lacks pace’. That’s not his skillset and he’s not a speed merchant. Just 15 minutes reading about him is enough to know

He will come good. We can do with another player like that.

Drainy

His role in the team is basically being taken by Pogba at the moment. Give him time to settle, and I'm sure the torch will be handed over.

SAFMUTD

Saying you are getting worried after he played 30 minutes of a game where the whole team minus Pogba was off is just fecking dumb though, so I wanted to check.
I expected an energetic performance, I saw nothing like that. Of course is really soon to judge, let's wait.

Classical Mechanic

I expected an energetic performance, I saw nothing like that. Of course is really soon to judge, let's wait.
He's not that player. His defensive work is lacking and he more needs a team to be flowing to show his best form. I think he'll find it a fair bit harder in the PL and playing under Ole than he did in Germany.

Bwuk

Needs to start, this cameo nonsense is ridiculous.

Ole better not do a VdB with him.

El Jefe

Reading the last few pages just confirms many of our fans had no clue what type of player Sancho is. If you thought we were getting a Mane or Son type of forward then you will be let down. He's more of a 2010-2014 Mata/Silva type than an inside forward.

On today's performance he didn't do much but I was confused why we moved him to the left. His best moves came on the right today linking up with AWB. Although Sancho is better on the left IMO, he was completely ineffective there today.

I'm still not worried about him tbh. Once he's used to our team and gets a bit more sharpness, he'll go from strength to strength. Havertz was in a similar position for Chelsea last year, he got better as the season went on and is now a key player for them. Give Jadon time to settle you impatient bunch, he's a special player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When he's been on the ball he's been fine. You can see moments of class, and he's combined well with AWB and Shaw a couple of times, and made that run to almost get on the end of Shaw's (I think?) deep cross. There was that one moment where he was in an awkward position between Bruno and Greenwood, but that's all part of gelling with the team.

Ideally we'd want him to be on the ball more, but both times he's come on at a time the team as a whole was starting to drop off. Hopefully he'll start the next game.

His role in the team is basically being taken by Pogba at the moment. Give him time to settle, and I'm sure the torch will be handed over.
If he's fighting Pogba for a role in the team, he'll lose...and that's not even a comment on Sancho's quality.

If Pogba signs a new deal, and it turns out that we can't find a way to play him in a conventional midfield role - which is likely imo, given that he's shown no signs of being able to do so regularly in the PL - then that wide playmaker spot floating around from the left is his (as long as he keeps up this level of performance).

Still, there's plenty of matches and plenty of minutes to go around. He'll be fine.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If he's fighting Pogba for a role in the team, he'll lose...and that's not even a comment on Sancho's quality.

If Pogba signs a new deal, and it turns out that we can't find a way to play him in a conventional midfield role - which is likely imo, given that he's shown no signs of being able to do so regularly in the PL - then that wide playmaker spot floating around from the left is his (as long as he keeps up this level of performance).

Still...there's plenty of matches and plenty of minutes to go around.
Sancho was brought in to be the wide creator opposite an inside forward, whether that be Greenwood or Rashford. Pogba was fine in that role last season out of necessity due to not having creators out wide, but its still one where ideally we'd use Sancho instead of him and move Pogba deeper if we could get a partner for him. This season it looks like Pogba is staying, in which case we'll see him split between the wing and the middle. Difference is we now have Sancho who I think will very shortly become one of the first names on the teamsheet. But if we play Pogba and Sancho as the 2 wingers, then you need a real poacher up top fully focused on that role. More often than not I think we'll see Pogba used deeper again though, but we really need the right partner to him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Needs to start, this cameo nonsense is ridiculous.

Ole better not do a VdB with him.
Literally at this point I won’t be surprised if this season is for him to ‘settle’ and he will be coming off the bench until 23-24 or some other shit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Just throw him in to start 5 games in a row. All this easing him in or making out he has to break in ahead of the likes of Dan James is ridiculous. He’ll end up another Donny unless we get him going quickly.

MadMike

And here I thought we bought him to play at RW, not to add a 5th LW to the team.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Quite obviously the only reasonable thing we can do at this point is to sell him while the transfer window is still open.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There's no certain starting spot for him him just because we paid big money. He needs to earn his place over Pogba and Greenwood in the wide postions like anyone else. He's showed nothing in his brief minutes so far.

Drainy

And here I thought we bought him to play at RW, not to add a 5th LW to the team.
I have a theory that the management don't see it as left vs right.

Its more 'creative', drop deep to get involved in the build up and pass into the front etc. vs high upthe pitch, running the channels & getting into the box directly.
Obviously both wide players are not limited to one style rigidly but more of the general pattern of play as a focus.

If you have two wide players with the same strengths you'd either lack penetration (like if Sancho and Pogba play together) or lack creativity (like if Greenwood and James/Elanga played together).

Eventually I think Greenwood will move up front and we'll see Sancho on the right and Rashford on the left.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Saw glimpses of what he can do. Couple of touches where he took the defender completely out of the game.

I dont think he is ready to start yet, though. He couldn't express himself. May be nervous ?

MadMike

I have a theory that the management don't see it as left vs right.

Its more 'creative', drop deep to get involved in the build up and pass into the front etc. vs high upthe pitch, running the channels & getting into the box directly.
Obviously both wide players are not limited to one style rigidly but more of the general pattern of play as a focus.

If you have two wide players with the same strengths you'd either lack penetration (like if Sancho and Pogba play together) or lack creativity (like if Greenwood and James/Elanga played together).

Eventually I think Greenwood will move up front and we'll see Sancho on the right and Rashford on the left.
Well if that's the paradigm we're going for it raises even more questions...

- If we cannot (or shouldn't) play with two wide midfielders, why did we play that way after Martial came off?
- Why can we not play with two playmaking wide players? We also have penetration offered from Bruno at #10, he scores more than our #9. Also City do the same with Foden, Grealish, Mahrez, B.Silva.
- Did he get signed to be a bench warmer to Pogba?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He will start the next game. Will have increased his fitness levels by then. I expect him to start on the right, Greenwood upfront and Pogba on the left.
He is not getting any understanding with his team mates by just playing the last 20-30 minutes too often.
I don’t expect him to deliver a man of the match performance or anything like that on a regular basis. But he needs to start playing regularly asap.

DevTheRed

Not easy imposing himself into a game when half the team decides to forget how to pass the ball. Thought he looked sharp, nice quick passes and looks to have a decent understanding with AWB already. Got himself into a good crossing position, cross wasn’t the best but at least he got into that position.

He’s class and he’ll link up with the likes of Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani wonderfully!

Sparky Rhiwabon

We always do this "easing in" bollocks.

Look at Chelsea today. Lukaku thrown in, dominates and scores.
I don’t think anyone’s suggesting he’s as good as Lukaku though. Can’t read too much into performances in the Bundesliga

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You just know he'll only play on the left wing.
It's inevitable now.

Good competition between Pogba, James, Rashy, Martial and Sancho though.

Best set of left sided attackers in the league.

Drainy

Well if that's the paradigm we're going for it raises even more questions...

- If we cannot (or shouldn't) play with two wide midfielders, why did we play that way after Martial came off?
- Why can we not play with two playmaking wide players? We also have penetration offered from Bruno at #10, he scores more than our #9. Also City do the same with Foden, Grealish, Mahrez, B.Silva.
- Did he get signed to be a bench warmer to Pogba?
-Pogba started playing higher up the pitch and more centrally when Sancho came on, but that's not his game.
-We could, but we'd lose a lot of counter threat and the opposition can play higher line with a higher press leading to more turnovers and less overall control and even against the deeper systems you'd have 2 players naturally in the box, rather than 3 (unless you push another central midfielder up and lose stability in the system and leave yourself open to the counter yourself).
- No he was signed to be a great team player who will be great over many seasons, with Pogba likely not being here or potentially in a deeper role if we sign a competent DCM

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's inevitable now.

Greenwood as well. That goal last weekend shows what he could do from the left. :drool:

MadMike

We always do this "easing in" bollocks.

Look at Chelsea today. Lukaku thrown in, dominates and scores.
Lukaku is a 28yo with a wealth of experience in this league, in his second passing from that club. At Sancho's age he couldn't get a game at Chelsea and he was a loanee to Everton.

Some perspective needed.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's inevitable now.

No way. Are people really expecting Greenwood to cement his place, while others players like Pogba, Rashford, and Sancho will rotate?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pretty sure previous two players we bought from Dortmund weren't match fit for couple of months when we signed them. It's weird, and hopefully it won't be the case with Sancho, but there's obviously different set of being match fit when some players come here from lesser leagues.

MadMike

-Pogba started playing higher up the pitch and more centrally when Sancho came on, but that's not his game.
-We could, but we'd lose a lot of counter threat and the opposition can play higher line with a higher press leading to more turnovers and less overall control and even against the deeper systems you'd have 2 players naturally in the box, rather than 3 (unless you push another central midfielder up and lose stability in the system and leave yourself open to the counter yourself).
- No he was signed to be a great team player who will be great over many seasons, with Pogba likely not being here or potentially in a deeper role if we sign a competent DCM
I disagree on both first two points.
- Pogba generally drifts into midfield regardless and he only really shifted more centrally after Lingard came on in the last 10 mins. When Sancho came on he kept his LM position.
- Both Pogba and Sancho are great runners and carriers of the ball. We wouldn't lose any counter-attacking potential at all, we'd just lose goal threat against a team defending deep. The outlets would be the striker (Greenwood) and Bruno who play almost like a false 9 for us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No way. Are people really expecting Greenwood to cement his place, while others players like Pogba, Rashford, and Sancho will rotate?
Course not. Greenwood, Dan James and Dalot will rotate on the right obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.