5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

I don’t think that’s true. I think he’s contributed more than Antony. Even early in the season.

The details about him not being included in match day squads, as far as I know, aren’t readily available so saying he was simply dropped for two months is also not reflective of what has happened seeing as when the manager spoke on it I believe remarks were made in regards to being ready physically and mentally.

A substantial amount of fans do like their dogs and sprinters. I don’t think I’m off the mark there. I’ve seen people lamenting us selling Dan James - and he’s in a personal battle against “fundamentals”. When I hear the average United fan talk I often hear words like “passion”, “running”, “knowing what the club is all about” - this is obviously anecdotal, but it’s my experience. It is what it is.
Well I don't think there's anything incorrect about wanting your wide man to be quick. It's very useful.

But the skepticism around Sancho isn't just because of his style. I think that's doing fans a disservice. It's suggesting you have an appreciation for something a bit more cultured that others don't.

We've all watched football for a long time and we know when a player is doing the basics correctly and when one isn't.

Sancho was clearly not fit and clearly wasn't wanting it enough. He wasn't lasting full games at the beginning of the season, he was pulling out of tackles, there was no bravery to his game, no taking responsibility. While we don't know everything about the two month layoff, I think ETH has said enough for us to know there were issues with his desire and physical shape.

If you aren't doing the basics right the style of the player is almost irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you're Dan James or Iniesta, either style won't work if you're not fit enough or don't want it enough.

Let's hope he's sorted it but I suspect this will be something he'll always have to work on.

Bobski

He was very good. Sancho struggling has been taking passive first touches, hesitating, last night immediately he was at the defense, making them back pedal and react to him, and then his decision making was superb, and execution. That was the player we hoped we were getting.

TsuWave

Well I don't think there's anything incorrect about wanting your wide man to be quick. It's very useful.

But the skepticism around Sancho isn't just because of his style. I think that's doing fans a disservice. It's suggesting you have an appreciation for something a bit more cultured that others don't.
You're arguing against things that were never said. I won't partake in that.

Sancho clearly wasn't wanting it enough. there was no bravery to his game
I forgot to list those things among the talking points I hear from a substantial number of United fans.

Andersons Dietician

Some of those little slipped passes yesterday reminded me of the Sancho at Dortmund, also that ability just to tease in someone and take the ball away at the last second, finding passes in crowded area where others wouldn’t. Great little cameo and reminder of what he can do. Hopefully still lots more to come.

croadyman

Some of those little slipped passes yesterday reminded me of the Sancho at Dortmund, also that ability just to tease in someone and take the ball away at the last second, finding passes in crowded area where others wouldn’t. Great little cameo and reminder of what he can do. Hopefully still lots more to come.
Yeah definitely some of his best moments in Utd shirt and still have belief he can find glimpses of the Dortmund player given chance

SAF is the GOAT

After that ETH Shaolin monk training in the mountains he returned with his mojo back. Great to see this and him smiling.

OverratedOpinion

I think a big upside is that Sancho definitely has a goal in him, will be quite important if Rashford has a dip between now and the end of season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Tells you everything about the type of player he is.

I'd actually like to see him on the left wing with Rashford as a striker. I look back at the relationship Sancho and Haaland had, with the short 10 yard runs in behind and I feel that's when Sancho is at his best, picking out those runs.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to see a front 3 of Sancho, Rashford and Antony (if fit).

Leeds United 0:2 Man Utd

The United

His short passes are pretty shit under pressure for the expectations. It was like that before the break and it is still there.

He is a sub to push for more goals in second halves for me at this moment. Can't exactly rely on him from the beginning if everyone is fit.

Frank White

Mixed bag some good, some bad. Overall not too displeased but I'm sure he'll get better with more game time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't great. Struggled with the pace of the game and it was clear to see he's been away for a while. Did some decent things but all in all, a poor game from Sancho.

Going forward, I'm not sure where ten Hag will use him.

BerryBerryShrew

Thought he was the best of our front 4 (including Bruno) before he went off. Outpaced Firpo a few times and was the only player looking to make things happen in the first half.

Red Star One

Thought he was okayish but visibly below the standard for the starter at the moment. Perhaps better if he continues as an impact sub for the time being. Great to see him back though and I really hope he’ll find his feet soon - the goal he scored recently and minutes he’s getting should surely help

zaafi

Am I the only one that thought his dribbling was quite slow? I mean, he looked quicker now than earlier in the season but the speed of his dribbling looked so slow. The Leeds players could just put their foot in and dispossess him quite easily.

hatchetmac

Wasn't great. Struggled with the pace of the game and it was clear to see he's been away for a while. Did some decent things but all in all, a poor game from Sancho.

Going forward, I'm not sure where ten Hag will use him.
The lads been out for over 3 months. Give him a break! It's not easy coming back from mental health.

Walters_19_MuFc

Am I the only one that thought his dribbling was quite slow? I mean, he looked quicker now than earlier in the season but the speed of his dribbling looked so slow. The Leeds players could just put their foot in and dispossess him quite easily.

Think thats down to a lack of match sharpness.

Red_Aaron

Thought he started the game OK but was done by half time really. He's still a sub at this point

I do wonder if long term he may have to find a position central perhaps as a false nine or Bruno understudy. I don't think he's direct enough for the wide positions in this system

ManRed

Didnt help when our whole forward line was missing in the first half. He feeds off others and there was no help around it. Created our first chance with that pass to Bruno. 6/10 when whole forward line was 4/10 in first half

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His short passes are pretty shit under pressure for the expectations. It was like that before the break and it is still there.

He is a sub to push for more goals in second halves for me at this moment. Can't exactly rely on him from the beginning if everyone is fit.
That's when we've struggled playing out from the back. Did that again today. None of our wingers, or other players out wide like Bruno do anything else in those one vs two with a man in the back and one from the side situations.. no teammate make themselves available. It's really hard conditions so Sancho struggled to get in the game but so did Rashford, Bruno, etc.

Lee565

Is he winger? We know eth mentioned the possibility of him playing as a 10, I wouldn't mind seeing it as I don't think he offers enough out on the wing and we are ever going to get back to the top on consistent basis with bruno as a starter so may as well see if sancho can make that spot his own

marktan

That was always the case, even at Dortmund. He has never been explosive. He has good close control and can run fast at top speed, but he's like Anthony in that they're not traditional wide players that can regularly beat a man from a standing start.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was decent and probably our best forward till he went off. Tough game for all our players

OverratedOpinion

He was okay but not great. It's a funny thing how he looks a lot better when he plays in a team where the centre backs don't take enough time for the entire team to man mark everyone before passing the ball out.

Irwin99

On the end of two rough challenges in the first half and just wasn't really in the game but then neither were our other attackers for the first 60 minutes. The directness of Garnacho just seems so much more exciting to watch from a wide forward though.

The United

That's when we've struggled playing out from the back. Did that again today. None of our wingers, or other players out wide like Bruno do anything else in those one vs two with a man in the back and one from the side situations.. no teammate make themselves available. It's really hard conditions so Sancho struggled to get in the game but so did Rashford, Bruno, etc.
Agree but my point was that his passing in general is bad (away from the box). It was like that before the break and it still does not improve after. I doubt you can improve those things much after certain age. So it might stay with him which would be annoying.

Naturally, our forwards will get tighter spaces when we start dominate more. He either gets used to it or he will just get sold.

kundalini

Very poor today. Lost possession cheaply time after time in the first half. Key pass for Fernandes' poor shot well wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.