5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

Solskjaer had a personal scout along with Mike Phelan as his adviser who he worked with independently from the club's scouts when it came to recruitment, which is well documented, and both Solskjaer and Phelan were seen several times at football stadiums scouting players. Solskjaer even went on record and said that it took 5 scouts to veto him for a deal to fall through. At other clubs the opinion of just the head of recruitment is enough.

Yes we did try to sign Sancho from City when he was 17 before he left for Dortmund. But that was a Sancho who was valued at considerably less than the player that developed into a first team player at Dortmund.

And I never said the scouts recommended Amad to be a starting 11 player straight away and I quite clearly described him as a player who was recommended as a developmental type signing for the RW. And if Solskjaer had even attempted to try and develop Amad for the inverted RW role, rather than sign another left sided attacker, we would've saved a considerable amount of money.
I don’t think OGS’s handling of Amad can be particularly criticised. He only had him for about 6 months. We had a good looking loan lined up for him to Feyenoord by all accounts in Aug 21, which was sadly derailed by injury. The only mistake made in his development was probably sending him to Rangers, post Ole, but even that I’m not sure was that clear at the time. We always needed a starting RW sooner than Amad was going to be ready.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don’t think OGS’s handling of Amad can be particularly criticised. He only had him for about 6 months. We had a good looking loan lined up for him to Feyenoord by all accounts in Aug 21, which was sadly derailed by injury. The only mistake made in his development was probably sending him to Rangers, post Ole, but even that I’m not sure was that clear at the time. We always needed a starting RW sooner than Amad was going to be ready.
That's fine and I don't have a problem with that. But if Solskjær wanted a starting RW, then he blundered by signing a player who preferred playing on the left and was never really a right winger due to how Favre utilised Hakimi. And then when Solskjaer finally had Sancho and played him on the left, he was asked in a press conference why he was using him on the left and not on the right? He responded by saying that Jadon preferred playing on the left.

Zoo

Not setting the league on fire yet. We should not repeat mistakes of old by handing out contracts like this going forward. Doubt he would freely walk away from a weekly fortune anytime soon to save his career. Besides, who would carry that salary and pay a high transfer fee on top? It's bad business and were stuck to it. Best hope is he can better himself or that we cut loose on a cheap if club sees no path forward.
Whitwell’s article this morning states that he is on over 200k a week which is understandable considering the type of transfer. Not sure where this 350k figure came from.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Don't recall a player at United as soft as Sancho. His complete lack of impact at International level should have been a warning sign in retrospect.
It wasn't hard to imagine that he'd look better in a more attacking side than the back five and two DMs Southgate was trotting out every game, and there are quite a few very good players who never look as good for their country as they do for their clubs generally.

Marwood

It wasn't hard to imagine that he'd look better in a more attacking side than the back five and two DMs Southgate was trotting out every game, and there are quite a few very good players who never look as good for their country as they do for their clubs generally.
We hoped that was the reason even though other attacking players still managed to perform.

But clearly in retrospect it wasn't Southgate holding him back.

I see lots putting the difference between his form here and Dortmund down to German football being easier.

To some extent I'm sure that's true.

But could it also just be really simple? Namely Sancho just can't really be arsed anymore? After those first couple of seasons in the first team where young players are always up for it has the desire just faded away? I think there were signs of this in his final season at Dortmund.

It all reminds me of Januzaj's career albeit Sancho hit more consistent heights for a short period.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He hasn't over-ruled anyone but has infact been working with the scouts like Mayorga and Wells who have replaced Bout and Lawlor. But there was reports that ten Hag wanted Ziyech but was over-ruled by the scouts. And there's also been reports that ten Hag has informed the heads of scouting to assess the likes of Timber and Kudus, which didn't happen under Mourinho or Solskjaer who relied on their personal scouts. Big difference.
Was reported club wanted to sign Pau Torres and Ten Hag overuled that, I may be mistaken.

Not exactly saying its good or bad but its clear the players we went after in the summer and Jan were not club scouted targets. Most were Ten Hag former players or ones he knew about (Malacia, Weghorst)

Hopefully its more joined up this summer

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A United supporting friend of mine infuriates me at how soft he's being on Sancho. Compares him to Antony not setting the world a light, that he's had one season with a dysfunctional squad under Ole, and then barely having a second season. Too many excuses because he's English. I genuinely empathize with him for his mental health - clearly stuff happened behind the scenes, or he was unable to handle the massive step up playing for United. We will never understand that sort of pressure in regards to having the footballing world having an opinion of you. Nevertheless, if he ran around looking as if he cared then I'd give him more time - but he just wanders around, barely entering a sprint on the offence or defence. He kills our attacks with his hold-up play and seems inept at beating a defender.

He needs to go - be it out on loan to find form, or sell him. At the end of the day, Garnacho should have that left hand side once he returns from injury which means an academy player would have dislodged a player we paid £100m for.

He's been here for 2 seasons now (obviously not playing for half of one) but I can't think of one game where he's "won" the game for us by the scruff of the neck. Antony, for his critics, has done so already.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was reported club wanted to sign Pau Torres and Ten Hag overuled that, I may be mistaken.

Not exactly saying its good or bad but its clear the players we went after in the summer were not club scouted targets. Most were Ten Hag former players or ones he knew about (Malacia, Weghorst)

Hopefully its more joined up this summer
Pau Torres along with the Leeds keeper Meslier, were players that the previous head scouts (Lawlor & Bout) put forth as recommendations according to reports. But since they were fired and replaced by Argentine, Jose Mayorga and Simon Wells, we switched targets with ten Hag. And we opted to sign Argentine CB, Lisandro Martinez instead with ten Hag being a obvious influence. But I think Jose Mayorga being in a prominent position as the head of recruitment possibly also helped in the signing due to his back ground in scouting in Argentina/South America.

I completely agree with you about casting a wider net when it comes to recruitment. Because you can't be successful in the mid to long-term as a football club without utilising the vast resources a club like United can provide when it comes to recruitment. And imo, we should see the net being cast wider now that we have a new team heading the football structure with a data science lead also part of the team.

kundalini

Whitwell’s article this morning states that he is on over 200k a week which is understandable considering the type of transfer. Not sure where this 350k figure came from.
United salaries are x (basic including image rights) + y (Champions League) + z (appearance bonuses)

Instead of quoting a range, people either go for the minimum or the maximum. So in Sancho's case, those numbers might be x = 200K per week, y = 67K per week, z = 40K per start + bonuses of 500K after 20 and 40 starts (I'm using Memphis Depay's leaked contract as the template, his numbers were 75, 25, 20 and 250)

We aren't in the Champions League this season so all United players will be missing out on that element of their salary.

As well as Memphis' contract being leaked, Football Leaks also had details of Zlatan's, Pogba's and Sanchez's. A maximum figure in the £15m per year to £20m per year range would not be remotely surprising.

The season that Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho joined, while Dan James was the only significant departure, United's wages increased by £60m. Obviously there were other changes, different players out on loan, probably some new contracts, perhaps hired some additional coaches, sports science or other staff. Ronaldo was rumoured to be on £25m max so Varane and Sancho probably earned over £30m between them.

Last edited:

dcrompton

He’s a coward off the ball, winning 0% of 50/50 challenges. The most worrying thing is that he’s a coward on the ball too, not taking on his man or constantly demanding the ball. I am not a fan of Antony but he at least seems to have fight in him. Watching Martinelli and Saka at Arsenal is what I expect from United wide players

Lee565

Greenwood was better than him, garnacho is better than him, it would not surprise me if diallo even outperforms him if given the chance and really don't see what he offers that pellestri can, at least pellestri has pace to him, willing to take on a defender.

OptimisedRed

It's like he isn't fit enough for the league, but we know he is and it's all about effort. I appreciate he has had some issues but he shouldn't be back in the squad if they are still playing a part.

He is absolutely shocking for what we've paid for him and how much he earns. He would be dropped from any team that demands a bit of work rate, which means he should look at changing career. You can see he pisses his team mates off as well when he doesn't track his runner or chase a loose ball.
If the ball doesn't come to his feet the opposition are getting it-even if they are further away, whilst he either bows his head or throws his arms up in frustration. Opposing players need one decent tackle on him early and he'd be in his shell for the rest of the game. No balls at all.
Unbelievable that this is the same player that did so well at Dortmund. Maybe he needs to play abroad again where he doesn't know the language or people and only has football to concentrate on as I think he needs that to get the best from him.

AndySmith1990

I think he's one of those lazy wasters who lose all hunger and desire as soon as they get their life changing big contract. United have set him up for life and he doesn't have to bother putting in the effort to continue picking up his wage. Only conclusion I can come to given the shocking levels of effort we see at United compared with how he played at Dortmund

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Even if true, how is it understandable? He was on a fraction of those wages at Dortmund, he wanted to come to United, and nobody else was seriously interested in signing him. There was absolutely no reason to offer an unproven 21 year old that much money when we had all the bargaining power in the negotiation.

Abraxas

I'm struggling to see what the way forward is with him. I honestly have no idea. Nothing seems to spring to mind that is acceptable, and yet we have to take one of the options.

He seems unsellable.

If he stays I can't for the life of me see how he is going to become a key player. He is not starting over Antony that the manager clearly loves and he doesn't have the ability or hunger to oust Rashford. Soon as another striker comes in that's another spot in the forward line that probably glues Rashford out left and less potential starts for Sancho. He'd be a very overpaid and underutilised squad player relative to reputation and expense, and that's before the likes of Diallo come back. He'd get games, yes, but he'd not be seen as fundamental and it's going to be very hard to get his confidence going from that position.

If we loan him out it's possibly okay, but we will be heavily subsiding him I would imagine. Maybe we can get a better deal than I expect, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe this is the best option to kick him up the arse because it's better to subsidise a loan for the chance of rekindling his career compared to paying his salary with no results. Didn't work with Martial, might work here but it smells a bit fishy. I find it hard to see the route back at United because there are question marks over his suitability in the league so if he goes back to Germany and excels who does it convince? It might be a precursor to a sale more than anything.

It all just sucks really. I guess it's inevitable when you sign somebody of this economic dimension and they flop quite so hard. It puts you in a real mess.

caid

I think we need to try and sell. Wouldn't expect a great fee but its now or never to cut our losses. I wouldn't be too shocked if he kicked on next season but its become an increasingly stupid gamble with the wages involved. Be pragmatic and ruthless for a change and move him on instead of believing in fairy tales.

OmarUnited4ever

For me, I will always appreciate players that even when they aren't good, at least they try their hardest and all, WW is a prime example of that, he isn't good enough but the one thing he will never be criticized for is effort and fighting spirit, Sancho on the other hand is really neither highly talented nor he is hardworking, he is so meek and lazy too, we complain about Martial's lazines sometimes but he at least holds off CBs pushing and kicking him, rides challenges and doesn't pull away, Sancho is a lazy feck and a gutless coward when someone challenges him.

He must be sold and kicked out of the club

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure I believe all the stuff about attitude being thrown around.
For me, it boils down to one thing, he was overhyped and we all fell for it. He hasn’t got the pace to try and take on players on the outside.
His confidence is now low so we are seeing the worst of him

Devil81

Hope he's not starting today, like Maguire we should accept our losses and sell on the cheap to get the wages off the book.

Southgate was spot on at the Euros when everyone was questioning his sanity for not starting Jadon. He needed to work harder to show Southgate he deserved a spot in the team. He didn't as it happens and now he looks a million miles away from playing for England again.

Abraxas

He did make a bit of a difference today. Nice to score a penalty of course, particularly with his history I think a miss could have buried him. But generally I thought he was our main outlet when he came on.

hobbers

At least he scored in the shootout. Had he missed there could have been the end of his top level football career not just his United one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So relieved he scored his. Was dreading it seeing him step up for one. Thought he played pretty well, showed composure and fight

Status
Not open for further replies.