Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Had the ball in no man's land with no support around him and often did well with it.

Not a bad performance. Nothing to get too excited about either.

Abraxas

Needs to sort his fitness out. Slightly pathetic how knackered he looks when coming off at 60 mins. I think there's a reason managers tend to take him off. He needs to up the intensity massively and become a 90 minute footballer.

Apart from that he was very isolated first half. Like last season, he seems disconnected from his team at times. Not sure the reason for that but he did do some nice touches.

The United

Had the ball in no man's land with no support around him and often did well with it.

Not a bad performance. Nothing to get too excited about either.
That's how his performances for us have been in general. He seems to lack stamina too. Almost always seems to be the first one to get subbed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thought he needed a lot more help in the first half. Was the only one of the front three that could hold onto the ball, but didn’t have many options when he did.
Yep. There were so many times where he had the ball surrounded by opposition players and there was nobody remotely close to him. It completely negates a huge part of his game which we should be taking advantage of - his short, quick passing and interplay.

OpenIntrovert

Sancho did quite well with the ball and I felt was the most composed player with it. Sadly his pressing capabilities are not as good. He might play very well as a false nine since he can hold the ball up quite well and is very good with link up play.

lex talionis

The bright spot on the front line, but unfortunately had no one to work with in the final third.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
At this rate Dortmund might be expecting him back in a bit ala Goetze
What the feck :lol:

Classy on the ball but not aggressive enough today. Isolated at times with absolute nothing on in front of him.

Lecland07

I thought he was pretty good. There was too much space between him and other players, though. He made space with his dribbling but there was not enough options at times.

He beat his man several times. But to show the issue is that he did well when surrounded by four Southampton players, but there were no options to take advantage of the play.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only attacker of the desired technique and profile (aside from Martial).

mctrials23

Opposition know that Rashford and Elanga have about as much quality between them as Andy Carroll so they target Sancho. Still did more than the other 2 forwards despite being ganged up on all game. With a better functioning team around him he will find it much easier to contribute.

Nick7

Yep. There were so many times where he had the ball surrounded by opposition players and there was nobody remotely close to him. It completely negates a huge part of his game which we should be taking advantage of - his short, quick passing and interplay.
Yeah. Happened a few times in the first half where he beat a man and instantly looked for a quick pass inside but no one was there.

mctrials23

He beat his man several times. But to show the issue is that he did well when surrounded by four Southampton players, but there were no options to take advantage of the play.
United fans have been used to years of individualist football. Rashford at his peak was running past players and onto through balls to score. Greenwood was pulling worldies out of the bag to save us. A lot of us don't seem to be able to understand a winger that is technical and needs to work with other players to function. He won't beat 3 guys for pace and bang it in the top corner but he will play 3-4 one touch passes to cut a team open and then finish it calmly. The sort of goals that good teams score as a team.

Reactions: Fortitude

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can hardly ever beat his man.

One time he was covered by 4 defenders makes his fan base say it was always like that.

Walters_19_MuFc

Had 3 or 4 players around him most of the game and it was almost as if we just left him to it.

There were moments in the game where Malacia tucked in and Eriksen ran in behind to create overloads but it was few amd far between.

Telsim

He had absolutely no support. Dribbling past 2-3 defenders consistently happens only in YouTube montages and on the pitch if you are Messi or something like that. He needs support to function, make those one-twos, but no one really comes to help him.

Ciddy

Honestly feel we’ll get much more out of Sancho, Rashford and whoever else plays wide when we finally get a permanent mobile striker. Both players often found out wide on their own. Unusual for me to think this but I hope Martial is back quickly. I think he has good hold up play, lovely close control and hopefully a new found work ethic (if not he won’t survive here with EtH). Again for both wide players a few more wins on the bounce will breed confidence which I think so many of the players are lacking.

Bobski

Nice and tidy at times but not as dynamic as you would want in a wide forward.

In Rainbows

Thought he was good in possession, capable of advancing the ball, and was involved in some chances (including the goal). He should be one of our starting attackers when fit (like Martial) because the others don't really have the technique to combine with others, or the calmness to retain possession. Was pretty frustrating to watch the others give the ball away so casually.

If Antony were to come, we could have a really technical front 3 who are all capable of helping us build our attacks and operating in those final 3rd tight spaces.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
WHy is he so isolated? his ball retention was so good until he got doubled or trippled and no one was at hand to help him out of the tight spaces, neither to make run for him. So frustrating. Shambolic to take him of before Rashford and Elanga.

justboy68

Way too isolated today. Rashford was offering absolutely nothing to him and he didn't have much from midfield either. No chance to do anything really.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
United fans have been used to years of individualist football. Rashford at his peak was running past players and onto through balls to score. Greenwood was pulling worldies out of the bag to save us. A lot of us don't seem to be able to understand a winger that is technical and needs to work with other players to function. He won't beat 3 guys for pace and bang it in the top corner but he will play 3-4 one touch passes to cut a team open and then finish it calmly. The sort of goals that good teams score as a team.
Yep, he's a wide playmaker, with good enough dribbling ability to make space for himself and play the final pass, not to go past 3 players á la Messi.

United will be his downfall if we continue playing like this, isolate players on their own..

pascell

The number of times he gets the ball without a United player within a mile of him and 4 opposition players surrounding him is fecking ludicrous.
Happens every game.

It's always why he looked poor last season, as Shaw never offered support, neither did anyone in midfield.

In Rainbows

Yep, he's a wide playmaker, with good enough dribbling ability to make space for himself and play the final pass, not to go past 3 players á la Messi.

United will be his downfall if we continue playing like this, isolate players on their own..
He's a pacier Mata, with the ability to dribble past 2-3 when needed every game. Exactly as you say, he's not going to do it like young Ronaldo, Messi, or Hazard, etc...

jesperjaap

He carried the ball well and to be fair to him he appeared isolated with little support.

But he isnt contributign much at the moment and the points do seem valid regarding his fitness, he just doesnt seem strong or bustling with energy in second halves.

I do think the whole balance is still not right with us as an attacking unit and signings are needed, we only seem to be able to attack on the break with pace. The talent is obvious but he needs to get more involved....he still reminds me a bit of Alexis Sanchez here who was a huge talent here....doesnt look settled, doesnt look confident, looks like trying to hard and feeling the pressure. Sancho has had some really good moments like the goal v Liverpool, dont think he has had a really good game yet though and considering the fee and expectations that is surprising and unacceptable

criticalanalysis

Sancho had a part in the goal. Simple touch and lay off to Dalot.

He's such an intelligent and technical player that really suffers from our lack of build up automation.

I like that today he tried to take on his player more and was aggressive as usually he's a bit passive in that sense. Unfortunately, he just doesn't have the pace or strength to put the afterburners on.

He will improve.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Happens every game.

It's always why he looked poor last season, as Shaw never offered support, neither did anyone in midfield.
Or maybe because he's so silly on trying to hold off the ball against 3-4 players, instead of just passing it before being surrounded?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't like him on the left, he slows things down too much there. I don't mind it for the odd 10 minutes here and there to mix it up but he shouldn't be there the whole game.

In Rainbows

Or maybe because he's so silly on trying to hold off the ball against 3-4 players, instead of just passing it before being surrounded?
Nah, the one instance people are talking about wasn't what you described. He looked if there was a pass on coming from midfield/Malacia, and so kept it another 2 seconds hoping someone further up field would help him since they weren't. This was in our own half so it's understandable why Malacia and Eriksen were busy still from defending. At least that's how I remember it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't like him on the left, he slows things down too much there. I don't mind it for the odd 10 minutes here and there to mix it up but he shouldn't be there the whole game.
This.

He has plenty of space but slows down trying to bring the opposition in like he is going to take them on -

then shows that he can’t take them on so passes back to the team mate who is behind them leading to a slowed down attack.

On the right he isn’t cutting on his strongest foot so makes much more quick decisions.

Even today’s goal came from a Sancho pass more central/right than left.

I felt like Ole bought him as the better potential world class version of Daniel James on the right - on the left I don’t really see much at all.

Raven

Was comfortably better than Rashford and Elanga. Not sure why everyone refused to get close to him to support him.

zenith

He will improve by leaps and bounds as we go on and develop a system. Casemiero will help in this regard too by finding him with the obvious pass. Eriksen is another one with whom he can develop great chemistry, provided we start playing him as a no. 10

el3mel

As I said after last game, he shows a quality moment here and then but his overall game is boring to watch

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He should be tried in the middle IMO, his attributes are more fitting for playing behind the striker than wide in the premier league.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't know if we can demand more from Sancho than he has shown today. Good at ball retention, good spatial awareness but not fast enough to beat a player or two. He is good at bringing others to play but had absolutely no support today.

His fitness and pace are a bit of an issue. He'd be killing it in a league 1 level slower. He's clearly struggling with defenders pace and power in EPL. Still, I think he had a decent game.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Thought he did well today considering Elanga was determined to give the ball away whenever he got it and I've yet to see any evidence that Rashford was actually on the pitch. You can show me all the pictures of lineups you want, but I'm not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.