5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

Thought Sancho looked determined and at it today. The stats will come if he keeps up that effort.

Andersonson

Why is that Liverpool and City's mega buys hit the ground running, but ours get a free pass for 1-2 two seasons until they 'get the system or get used to the league '?

If anything has shown us this far in Sancho's time here is that he has flopped. We can have the discussion wether he or Elanga was best, but none of that really matters. Neither of them are anything close to what our competitiors have

CloneMC16

His lack of defensive work pissed me off. He was walking around the pitch all game. He only came alive when we got the ball. People complain about Rashford doing it. Sancho is just as bad. Worse in this game. I'd love to know what the running stats were for the individual players. He was rightfully subbed first.

In possession, he was our best attacker. That isn't saying much, because the rest were pretty bad. With the system working properly, I'm sure he'd look better. He's not the type of player that's going to win you the game on his own.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Why is that Liverpool and City's mega buys hit the ground running, but ours get a free pass for 1-2 two seasons until they 'get the system or get used to the league '?

If anything has shown us this far in Sancho's time here is that he has flopped. We can have the discussion wether he or Elanga was best, but none of that really matters. Neither of them are anything close to what our competitiors have
Like Grealish?

We need an rvn

I honestly don't get some of the posts on here.

If you're playing as a wide player in a front 3, you can not be expected to track back and defend all the time, especially if you're playing in a counter attacking formation as well. We need the two holding midfielders to win the ball and get it out wide quickly and we need to counter attack at high speed which means keeping players high-ish up on the pitch. He is most likely done exactly what was asked of him and I am happy with his performance. Did much better than Rashford (although there's a good argument he is being played out of postion)

On another note, re Grealish - he has played in the PL and captained Villa and is in a different age bracket. Sancho is in theory new to our league and younger. Can't compare the two players. Grealish should be hitting that team running

spe88

Flopped? :lol: That’s pretty much the whole squad the last 12 months. Give him a chance in a firing team

Tiki-Taka

Because our whole team is trash making it hard for players that rely on link up etc to shine.. he would’ve hit the ground running in those teams imo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lovely pass for the goal and he was too isolated in the first half especially but I'd still like to see more fight from him.

ShinjiNinja26

His skill and technique are exceptional, he can dribble past players with ease. I just wish he’d do it more but I’m sure that will come with confidence the more wins we rack up.

Mmm-Qatarian

A big part of the problem with Sancho is that he needs players to be making runs off of him in order to flourish. Our forward players seem extremely reluctant to do this (to be honest, it won't make me very popular but Malacia also could've done it more today) which means Sancho is often left in a straight 1v1 against defenders.

I'm confident you'll see a lot more from Sancho if (hopefully when) our players become better at supporting their wide players with their movement.

pascell

Nah, the one instance people are talking about wasn't what you described. He looked if there was a pass on coming from midfield/Malacia, and so kept it another 2 seconds hoping someone further up field would help him since they weren't. This was in our own half so it's understandable why Malacia and Eriksen were busy still from defending. At least that's how I remember it.
How I remember it too, no one supporting him, which he's always needed to flourish.

tomaldinho1

Because they are better teams than us with very tactically switched on managers.

OrcaFat

I think he will improve under ETH. He needs to run harder, faster and more often and ETH can get him doing that, I hope.

Sea-Cow

If he just had some burst or just a bit of pace he could be great. But what good is it to have the quick feet and skills to beat a man, or to keep the ball under pressure when up against the touchline, if you can't get away from them? He has to cut back so often because he just doesn't have the pace!

Sea-Cow

Has he ever played as a number 10? I wish we could see him given a shot there, in place of Bruno.

But we would need an actual striker to work with, and then our wide options would be even more pathetic so I guess he's stuck as a winger.

macheda14

If he just had some burst or just a bit of pace he could be great. But what good is it to have the quick feet and skills to beat a man, or to keep the ball under pressure when up against the touchline, if you can't get away from them? He has to cut back so often because he just doesn't have the pace!
If we controlled games he’d be great, he just isn’t built for counterattacking in the prem

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Comfortably our best attacker, although that's saying very little. Hard for him to have an impact when teams can double up on him so comfortably and so frequently.

Rashford may as well not have been on the pitch today.

Reiver

A big part of the problem with Sancho is that he needs players to be making runs off of him in order to flourish. Our forward players seem extremely reluctant to do this (to be honest, it won't make me very popular but Malacia also could've done it more today) which means Sancho is often left in a straight 1v1 against defenders.

I'm confident you'll see a lot more from Sancho if (hopefully when) our players become better at supporting their wide players with their movement.
You make a good point. He was often left by himself with at least a couple of defenders on him. I suppose we don't know what instructions Malacia had, but he definitely could have done more to support Sancho. He does also seem reluctant to take his man on in 1v1 situations at times too though.

saivet

Has he ever played as a number 10? I wish we could see him given a shot there, in place of Bruno.

But we would need an actual striker to work with, and then our wide options would be even more pathetic so I guess he's stuck as a winger.
Not as a traditional number 10 but in a 343, similar to how Chelsea operate with the wing backs providing a lot of the width. In his case it was Hakimi as RWB, so while he was still playing wide, there was room for him to roam centrally too.

AussieDevil

He is wasted in a counter attacking system. He’d be class in a team that understands movement.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Sancho was getting like 3 men on him at a time, what do you expect him to do? He’ll be one of the standout players this season. Although I’m a bit concerned that he looked quite knackered in the game today.

downunder red

He's got the talent, there is no doubt about that but at his age his fitness is not up to scratch. He definitely needs players around him to show of the skill set he has. Sancho is not the type to take on defenders one on one. Little intricate passes and one two's with other players is his forte. If and when Martial comes back I think we will see a huge improvement.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He is wasted in a counter attacking system. He’d be class in a team that understands movement.
Don’t think the long term plan is to be counter attacking. Ten Hag is all about movement as you’d know by watching his Ajax sides. Obviously we’re still gonna score a lot of counter attacks which most teams do. It’s good to play different ways.

AussieDevil

Don’t think the long term plan is to be counter attacking. Ten Hag is all about movement as you’d know by watching his Ajax sides. Obviously we’re still gonna score a lot of counter attacks which most teams do. It’s good to play different ways.
I completely agree. But I was more so referencing the way we’ve played the last couple of games.

I actually think he could play the same role Ziyech played for Ajax, but to play that you need a sticker with better hold up play and the alternate winger to stretch the pitch more than Rashford does.

Andersonson

Like Grealish?
Grealish is considered a flop by many. Same numbers, almost same fee, almost same salary.

Flopped? :lol: That’s pretty much the whole squad the last 12 months. Give him a chance in a firing team
Does Casemiro need 12 months too? Or Eriksen? Malacia?

Because they are better teams than us with very tactically switched on managers.
So, if he fails under ETH, its on him or ETH?

Mr PG

Sancho and Rashford need competition in the form of quality such as Antony.

Tragically Hip

He was excellent with the ball at his feet and constantly drew two to three defenders, but then he has no striker to work with. He is the absolute least of United’s problems.

In Rainbows

Does Casemiro need 12 months too? Or Eriksen? Malacia?
You're talking about midfielders and a defender. Both of which have plenty to do regardless of how crap we are.
So, if he fails under ETH, its on him or ETH?
His fault as I'm assuming ETH would have us playing well.
Tbf, we could have been saying something differently if Bruno actually played the pass earlier than he did in those opening 10 minutes. That was a great counter attacking opportunity wasted because Bruno decided it was better to make the pass with less space between the defender and Sancho.

And generally, I think with Martial in the side, it makes it far easier to play on the counter because of his ability to turn with the ball (dragging a CB towards him) and making the pass to set off our wingers on a counter.

CarbonStoolBites

He needs to bulk up significantly and be molded into a Barnardo/David Silva type of player, the technique is there, he’s probably lacking their vision but if we had someone like Bernardo who could carry the ball like that in central areas, it would improve us massively.

Sancho doesn’t have their lower gravity therefore he gets disposed so often, he needs to build mass, just forget about him as a purely wide player.
Tell him to wake up, shit, eat and go to sleep studying David and Bernardo Silva videos.

That is all, imho.
The close control is there, the touch is there he just needs to be coached into a different player than what we bought him originally for.
Bernardo wasn’t a central midfielder originally but Pep coached him into a literal carbon copy of David Silva and he’s been exceptional at it.

Lost bear

Thought he did well today considering Elanga was determined to give the ball away whenever he got it and I've yet to see any evidence that Rashford was actually on the pitch. You can show me all the pictures of lineups you want, but I'm not buying it.
Yeah, I genuinely forgot he was playing today for a good half an hour at a time…

Bondi77

He would be my first pick in a five a side team or futsal team but he is a bench player for me in the Premier League.
Bring him on for the last half hour when the opposition are not fresh so he can give it a good go as he cannot play ninety minutes of intense football.

In Rainbows

Some of the instances that are frustrating to watch, which will go down as Sancho not being influential enough:

Sancho carries the ball, and nobody decides to make the run in between the 2 sets of defenders. Instead they all run towards the same area, which provide no passing option, so of course Sancho decides to stop the ball and pass back. Rashford makes no run and instead jogs towards the same area Elanga is at.

A counter attack where Bruno has the easy option in Sancho at the start.

Instead he chooses to pass to Sancho at the absolute worst moment, which of course ends up in nothing. Also had Elanga to his right if he was dead cert in that specific moment of the counter attack. Of course, because these moments end up in nothing, any potential for the attackers to look dangerous is killed off and they get criticized for not having many moments of looking threatening.

Last edited:

Idxomer

The 2nd and 3rd pictures are very annoying, Bruno's decision-making is just terrible most of the time.

And even in the 1st one, he's the playmaker but if it's not a through ball or an aimless cross he has no interest in linking up play or providing options for either the midfield or the attack.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Been such a disappointment for me.

This guy is like 80 million and is always being blamed for a lack of system when everyone else gets called out individually.

Much better on the right than the left.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Dortmund played some games in a 3421 with Sancho as part of the "double 10". Of course in this formation he often roamed towards the wing when the other 10 (usually Marco Reus) stayed centrally. But he at least got experience playing more centrally and he had some good games in that formation, however it was rarely used at Dortmund.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Will he ever be a false 9 player?

He has passing and through balls, dribbling ability and some decent shooting ability.

I wish to see him like a false 9 but one that can drift to both channels and stay central due to how versatile he can be.

then play 2 inverted forwards off of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.