Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He might be anti-Rashford for us, meaning he will be effective against opponent that sits back and he doesn't need to run forward - backward all the time. Clearly this is draining his energy.
Not impressed again, looks weak and lethargic.

ManRed

His intensity is like Martial at times. He needs to get more aggressive to fulfil his potential. Saw some of it in the first 10 minutes.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What's wrong with his lungs, he doesn't even run that much, chalked it up to not having a proper preseason last year but he still looks out of breath this year as well.
He's playing the long con here. In a months time he'll get diagnosed with asthma and then BAM prime Salah quality coming up.

Frank White

He did great defensive work today, I thought he did exactly what was asked of him. Great performance by him today.
Mental. Looked cooked again by the 2nd half so no idea what's going on there. Another anonymous performance from him but hopefully gets a rest this week and we go again against Palace.

criticalanalysis

Sancho was really good for the first 10 minutes, during that period that we had our players close to him and everyone playing quick one-two's. That's the kind of style that he'll thrive in and also help lift others up as well. The good news is that that is the kind of style that ETH wants us to play constantly.

Once the game wore on and we became stretched out he dropped off and struggled to have much impact. While he'll always be at his best with close runners, I do hope he improves his effectiveness when he's isolated as it's not something that can be completely avoided.
This. I think it's encouraging that he does put the effort and legs into closing down space but something still needs to click for him, whether that's the team style, which will suit his game or him coming up with another inspired piece of play.

I'm not worried overall but it's a minor concern.

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

Zero intensity. He'll look a lot better when we are more settled and have more of the ball, but he's a liability when we have to defend like today. Same with Rashford. They're both incredibly physically weak and can't hold the ball up to relieve pressure, even though they're great on the counter.

saivet

I just think these type of games aren't for him. He can play on the counter but when we are pinned back so much in a game, someone with crazy pace and directness will thrive more than Sancho. I think as we start to dominate games more he will look a better for it.

Get In Scholesy

Mental. Looked cooked again by the 2nd half so no idea what's going on there. Another anonymous performance from him but hopefully gets a rest this week and we go again against Palace.
Most of his runs are tracking back to cover Arsenal players down the wing. Yes he did not look flashy offensively but he was an reason why we looked comfortable controlling Arsenal in the first half.
The whole game plan relied on defending well and he did great in the first half.

BuzzKillington

His apparent lack of pace is what bothers me most. If you’re going to be slow, you better make sure you’re perfect in every other way, sadly he’s not. He’s morphing into a Juan Mata regen without the reliable touch.

The United

His apparent lack of pace is what bothers me most. If you’re going to be slow, you better make sure you’re perfect in every other way, sadly he’s not. He’s morphing into a Juan Mata regen without the reliable touch.
Yup. Being slow and then clueless when given space is the biggest issue here for him as a winger. Even if he can play for 120 mins with high intensity, it still means nothing if that flaw stays with him.

Juan Mata was very mobile off the ball and knew where he should be despite being slow and weak. Sancho is not even there yet at this moment.

Lecland07

He suits a team that will be in control of possession. His dribbling and ability in the box is very good, but we aren't up the other end enough. We don't hold it there and that makes him less effective.

As we progress, I think he will become better and better. He does seem to have some fitness issues, though, which will need sorting.

MrEleson

It’s not even just his lack of pace. He seems to lack any sort of grit or guile as well. Just seems so soft and passive as a player. Really reminds me of how Ozil was in the past. But at least he made up for it with his immense quality with the ball.

Irwin99

Agree with the feeling that he looks better when we dominate the ball and also he had a hand in the build to the first goal. Just feel he kind of drifts out of games sometimes.

edcunited1878

He won't be effective if nobody is around him going forward. But his commitment on and off the ball shouldn't be questioned. Lots of good defensive work today and getting back to help out. Physically he doesn't have the direct pace of Marcus or endurance, which is why he is subbed off. United have now 2 player who can vertically stretch the pitch via their pace in Antony and Marcus.

But Jadon around the area is so important to the team. He makes the right decisions and the right time with the right passes.

Suv666

Worrying.
Hasn't got the pace, workrate, vision, crossing ability or dribbling.

A winger is expected to be isolated at times and you can't have 3 players around you to tiki-taka with.
Good finishing though

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
What Sancho need more then anything is passion. He looks like he doesn't have the fighting spirit like Martinez, Antony, Dalot, Bruno etc etc does. Even when he scored against Liverpool, he celebrates like he scored in preseason game against a team from the 3rd division. Needs to add some fire in to his game. Looks like he is giving 90% of his max all the time and i'm afraid that will not be enough for him to fulfill his potential.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bloody hell, we win 3-1, everything suggests we're on the up, and the buzz is back.

Yet the cafe is systematically drilling through every player slating them.

spiriticon

Once we are a bit better with the ball (which apparently still needs a LOT of work by EtH), Sancho will be better I'm sure of it.

But yeah, I'm disappointed his game is not more explosive

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He needs to add more aggression to his game, hopefully he get inspired by this new United and players around himself. Antony showed in 50 minutes what he will be about and it's a shame that Sancho lacks that kind of hunger because he would be already huge. If he becomes just an expensive squad player who plays well when the team play well it will be a big shame.

Think also that some players just need that extra care to be kept motivated throughout the whole seasons and individual games. let's hope that WTH can unlock that desire. Not everyone is as self-motivated as Fred, Martinez or Malacia.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He looks very replaceable. Can see him out of the first XI this season unless he starts showing more.

Chief123

Yup. Being slow and then clueless when given space is the biggest issue here for him as a winger. Even if he can play for 120 mins with high intensity, it still means nothing if that flaw stays with him.

Juan Mata was very mobile off the ball and knew where he should be despite being slow and weak. Sancho is not even there yet at this moment.
It’s not even just his lack of pace. He seems to lack any sort of grit or guile as well. Just seems so soft and passive as a player. Really reminds me of how Ozil was in the past. But at least he made up for it with his immense quality with the ball.
Worrying.
Hasn't got the pace, workrate, vision, crossing ability or dribbling.

A winger is expected to be isolated at times and you can't have 3 players around you to tiki-taka with.
Good finishing though
@Zehner has some stats which apparently “prove” Sancho is faster than Salah and most other wingers in the world. He won’t have you say otherwise. :houllier:

Andersonson

Won the game against Leicester, Marcus won the game against Arsenal!

Great to have them both scoring again.

You are never going to have 11 motm performances every game...I trust ETH will be working with Sancho on what he needs to do to improve.
Sancho has barely had any MOTM performances for. The odd good game here and there but generally very mediocre. He might lose his place soon

BuzzKillington

@Zehner has some stats which apparently “prove” Sancho is faster than Salah and most other wingers in the world. He won’t have you say otherwise. :houllier:
Weirdly he does look ok for pace sometimes, then at others he looks like he’s running through treacle. And he always looks fecked after about 50 mins, sometimes earlier.

Dannn411

Will not be the starting LW for long. Zero intensity, slow as hell, gets tired so easily without actually doing anything. Needs to sharpen up. At least take on your man once in a while. Ben White had free rein on that right side because he offered zero threat. There are great young LWs popping up all over Europe.

Olmer

What Sancho need more then anything is passion. He looks like he doesn't have the fighting spirit like Martinez, Antony, Dalot, Bruno etc etc does. Even when he scored against Liverpool, he celebrates like he scored in preseason game against a team from the 3rd division. Needs to add some fire in to his game. Looks like he is giving 90% of his max all the time and i'm afraid that will not be enough for him to fulfill his potential.
This.
Him and Havertz sometimes look as if they've already completed football and had better ideas about how they can spend the day/evening rather than playing a football match.

Strats

Would rest him on Thursday and make him focus on his fitness this week.

Chinchy98

Quiet game. Lacking physically, not a disaster class and always safe in possession, but… never looked able to stand a man up and stretch the game with pace, decisively win the ball high up the pitch or affect the game in any meaningful way. 6/10

Jacob

Doesn't take a genius to understand that him and Antony will thrive in possession. They are good from standstill with dribbling and one-twos. Rashford is more suited to counter attacking football. When we start dominating again, Sancho will have big contributions.

RedorDead21

On his debut I was shot down for commenting how for a winger he never once ran with the ball when receiving it, he instead stood his foot on the ball, slowed play and passed inside..like at least for the first 5 times on his debut. I was just an odd ploy for a winger to rinse and repeat. He’s just not the winger I imagined or we needed or need now until like some suggest we become more Arsenal in terms of our plays.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Wouldn't be shocked if by the end of the season he is the bench option for Rashford on that left side.

AndersB

I just don't understand why he's so slow and labored with the ball. It's like all he dreams of is to stop, make a couple of dribbles, and then pass back. It's seems more psychological than physical really, surely it's something that can be coached away?

Anderson_7_

He's not disinterested, he's lost and probably feels like he doesn't belong here. :(

The league is faster and more physical than it has ever been and he lacks pace (and fitness). Just put two and two together.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wouldn't be shocked if by the end of the season he is the bench option for Rashford on that left side.
A thoroughly depressing thought. Feels like 1 step forwards, 2 steps back with us. I just hope he can find something soon, I was one of the posters desperate for us to sign him, going back to when he was first rumoured to be leaving City. I saw him perform very well for Dortmund in games like today where they were exploiting space in behind defences, so I know he can do it. But ultimately he's always been a player that is about good link up too (between attackers), and it's something we don't do well. Again we seem to be a team relying on physical attributes ie pace and power, rather than a team trying to control a game. So for the first time I can see this potentially ending badly for him and it not working out.

It just feels like he's not found his mojo here for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.