Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A thoroughly depressing thought. Feels like 1 step forwards, 2 steps back with us. I just hope he can find something soon, I was one of the posters desperate for us to sign him. Going back to when he was first rumoured to be leaving City. I saw him perform very well for Dortmund in games like today where they were exploiting space in behind defences, so I know he can do it. But ultimately he's always been a player that is about good link up too, and it's something we don't do. Again we seem to be a team relying on physical attributes ie pace and power, rather than a team trying to control a game. So for the first time I can see this potentially ending badly for him and it not working out.

It just feels like he's not found his mojo here for whatever reason.
Completely agree, it does make me wonder about the Bundesliga, but that's a debate for another thread :lol:

I thought he would be running at people and playing little 1 2's but it all seems so negative with him.

tomaldinho1

Bloody hell, we win 3-1, everything suggests we're on the up, and the buzz is back.

Yet the cafe is systematically drilling through every player slating them.
Post two above yours made me laugh it was so over the top.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
On his debut I was shot down for commenting how for a winger he never once ran with the ball when receiving it, he instead stood his foot on the ball, slowed play and passed inside..like at least for the first 5 times on his debut. I was just an odd ploy for a winger to rinse and repeat. He’s just not the winger I imagined or we needed or need now until like some suggest we become more Arsenal in terms of our plays.
By far the most frustrating part of his game and he does it several times every game. I thought it was maybe lack of confidence last year and I still hope it is but it’s been too long to be just that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I just don't understand why he's so slow and labored with the ball. It's like all he dreams of is to stop, make a couple of dribbles, and then pass back. It's seems more psychological than physical really, surely it's something that can be coached away?
Having seen him for Dortmund and in youth football, this is definitely a different player. He is trying to work hard but his fitness just looks miles off really. But mainly, he just doesn't look inspired here. He said the other day that he's in a good place etc, but I just don't think he's in an optimal frame of mind.
This is a player I thought could torment teams through dribbling and good interplay. He looks isolated in our team though under every manager, with no obvious tactical moves to give him the link up options.

Although I really wanted him here, I did think there was potentially some truth to the idea that he would have been better at City and Grealish here. Think that's looking quite true now. He'd have been great there as they set up to provide options for their wide men, playing one-twos and direct runs off the ball to open up space for their wingers to move inside.

AndersB

Having seen him for Dortmund and in youth football, this is definitely a different player. He is trying to work hard but his fitness just looks miles off really. But mainly, he just doesn't look inspired here. He said the other day that he's in a good place etc, but I just don't think he's in an optimal frame of mind.
This is a player I thought could torment teams through dribbling and good interplay. He looks isolated in our team though under every manager, with no obvious tactical moves to give him the link up options.

Although I really wanted him here, I did think there was potentially some truth to the idea that he would have been better at City and Grealish here. Think that's looking quite true now. He'd have been great there as they set up to provide options for their wide men, playing one-twos and direct runs off the ball to open up space for their wingers to move inside.
Grealish is actually a pretty good example of a player with some of the same issues. Low speed, low intensity at times. I get the feeling from Sancho, that he still has a bit of that guy in him who wants to dribble the same player twice, rather than do something progressive for the team. Obviously immensely talented, and he's taken his goals well, but man can he be frustrating too

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Grealish is actually a pretty good example of a player with some of the same issues. Low speed, low intensity at times. I get the feeling from Sancho, that he still has a bit of that guy in him who wants to dribble the same player twice, rather than do something progressive for the team. Obviously immensely talented, and he's taken his goals well, but man can he be frustrating too
I just think the difference is Grealish is more individualistic, whereas Sancho thrives on linking up a bit more. Where we leave Sancho isolated out wide, Grealish would be happier in those scenarios as he wants to take people on.

And vice versa, Sancho would be more aligned to playing in the way City do, where they offer numerous passing options and want to play with link up. As opposed to the higher risk situations where they leave wide players to take people on whilst the rest of the team gets into the box in the hope they pull it off.

Neither are explosive. But Grealish is very good at going past players. Not to say Sancho isn't or can't be, but I think he's different in what he wants to do.

Olecurls99

Not good today. Far too quiet. I think if we're against packed defenses he'll be on the left, otherwise I'd go with Rashford.

Lee565

Sancho needs to some of that mental toughness that his fellow attacking winger has rub off on him

Sylar

He's adding goals against the other teams which is good for him and united
He did ok but yeah his fitness seems an issue. Hopefully gets better over the season

Bondi77

He's adding goals against the other teams which is good for him and united
He did ok but yeah his fitness seems an issue. Hopefully gets better over the season
He has just come off a full preseason!!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
There was a good discussion on BBC 5live yesterday about Sancho and they had someone from Germany on the program. He said Sancho had the same problem in the bundesliga, i.e he was unable to sustain a good level over the course of the game, always a patchy player. This is evident here too and its no wonder he's usually substituted early in most games. It's also the reason why he's behind the likes of Sterling and Saka for England.

Idxomer

I'm generally a fan of his game but if he doesn't deliver this season, I think he should be put on the market next year.

Stacks

They let him go and didnt chase him when he was available

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he's a quality player. In the first half he was keeping the ball and progressing moves really well. He has a tendency like the rest of our team to fall away in the second. Definitely needs to work on keeping up a high intensity.

SambaBoy

He's an odd player isn't he. Brilliant in the small spaces around the box but when the game is open or he's receiving it out wide, he's just a nothing player. Doesn't attack the full-back 1 v 1 or if he does, he runs down blind alleys.

Strelok

I think he's a quality player. In the first half he was keeping the ball and progressing moves really well. He has a tendency like the rest of our team to fall away in the second. Definitely needs to work on keeping up a high intensity.
Same here he's definitely a quality player. He has everything ticked for a world class playmaker. I said playmaker not winger. He lacks a bit of directness to be one I think. Us currently don't have a proper #9 for him to play off. Imo when Martial is back or when we can buy a true #9 he'll be much better.

However one thing I simply can't understand is he's only 22 not 32 yo ffs. How on earth he's always out of breath in the second half? What did our medical team test him for when we signed him?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same here he's definitely a quality player. He has everything ticked for a world class playmaker. I said playmaker not winger. He lacks a bit of directness to be one I think. Us currently don't have a proper #9 for him to play off. Imo when Martial is back or when we can buy a true #9 he'll be much better.

However one thing I simply can't understand is he's only 22 not 32 yo ffs. How on earth he's always out of breath in the second half? What did our medical team test him for when we signed him?
Yes that's my only concern with him. Needs to up his physical output. He works very hard when he's on the pitch but noticeably runs out of gas in the 2nd half. Do Dottmund have switch off during games or something?

Other than he's technically brilliant and a key part of this team. If he works on his stamina etc and general intensity in terms of being pro active, he will be among the best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never rated him highly because all I ever saw was him breaking the high Bundesliga line and then making a cut back cross directly to his striker.

Rinse and repeat.

However, the only hope I have is his through balls and look forward to see if he ever plays centrally to utelise those.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yup. Being slow and then clueless when given space is the biggest issue here for him as a winger. Even if he can play for 120 mins with high intensity, it still means nothing if that flaw stays with him.

Juan Mata was very mobile off the ball and knew where he should be despite being slow and weak. Sancho is not even there yet at this moment.
On the bolded part, he's not clueless when given space, the issue with him is he will not outpace defender. It's the opposite to Rashford. It's not Sancho game, we can't expect him to do that really.

Regarding Mata comparison, I think the difference is Juan was allowed to move around rather freely so he used to pop up in many different places around the pitch, and he was useful in breaking opposition structure because of that. The way we play, wingers (Sancho/Elanga/Antony) are generally staying wide, so Sancho is having limited possibilities to play tiki taka around the pitch. I do not think this suits him but I think this shape makes us effective (also considering wingers are doing a lot more defensively compared to previous seasons).
Mata in this system would be totally lost because he was completely useless off the ball defensively. Sancho is doing alright, is involved in goals but I think games like Liverpool and Arsenal we might be better playing Rashford on the left and Martial/anyone who can hold the ball as CF, and Sancho will be more useful player against teams sitting deep. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Gottabekiddingme

He's not disinterested, he's lost and probably feels like he doesn't belong here. :(

The league is faster and more physical than it has ever been and he lacks pace (and fitness). Just put two and two together.
He was our best player in the second half of last season. Stop it please.

Suv666

I'm generally a fan of his game but if he doesn't deliver this season, I think he should be put on the market next year.
I agree with this.

Give him the full season if it doesn't work out. Sell him on before his stock tanks. Would be able to get a decent fee if he scores a couple of goals which he probably will but we need much more than that.

eire-red

He's an odd player isn't he. Brilliant in the small spaces around the box but when the game is open or he's receiving it out wide, he's just a nothing player. Doesn't attack the full-back 1 v 1 or if he does, he runs down blind alleys.
I've said it numerous times, he definitely lacks that expolsiveness that Rashford has, his game is a lot more subtle.

I don't think that's a bad thing either to be fair. We'll play more games against tight defences that sit on the 18 yard line, and Sancho and Antony look much more equipped to play against that than Rashford. I don't look at it as a negative, it just gives us options.

Doracle

I've said it numerous times, he definitely lacks that expolsiveness that Rashford has, his game is a lot more subtle.

I don't think that's a bad thing either to be fair. We'll play more games against tight defences that sit on the 18 yard line, and Sancho and Antony look much more equipped to play against that than Rashford. I don't look at it as a negative, it just gives us options.
Why do people think he will be good against packed defences? Literally all his goals and assists for us have come against teams where he has space and room to run into.

eire-red

Why do people think he will be good against packed defences? Literally all his goals and assists for us have come against teams where he has space and room to run into.
I said I think he's better equipped to deal with tight defences than Rashford. I don't think that's very controversial. Whether he can deliver or not is another story.

But just speaking purely from a strengths point of view, he's better in tight spaces and linking up with his teammates. I think it gives him an edge in certain games, and vice versa for Rashford when teams play higher up the pitch.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Him and Rashford is like opposite complete opposite. When we are in possession Sancho usually comes to play more often while Rashford would disappear. But when we are doing counter attack Rashford usually delivers while Sancho doing nothing of note.

aeh1991

The majority was happy to ship off Rashford to PSG just a few weeks ago and now everyone prefers him over Sancho all of a sudden :confused:

We should be happy to have three quality, versatile and very different types of wing forwards now. Everyone will get minutes and hopefully ETH will make them all better. Sancho is a gifted player and I am confident he will find form and consistency. He's also only 22, let's not forget that.

I think he will continue to improve now Antony is here, and once Martial returns.

The first two games showed ETH he couldn't play his preferred style immediately and he reverted to a more pragmatic approach where we cede control of the game and play on the break. This suits players like Rashford but not Sancho.

Once the players have had a bit more coaching and better players are bought we will be able to control games on the edge of the opposition box, and players like Sancho will be worth their weight in gold to unlock tight defences.

Gottabekiddingme

Every player was 2 out of 10
Sancho was 3 out of 10.
Sancho was balling until he got sick but sure, 3/10

A username has never been more apt for a response. In no way shape or form was he "the best player for the 2nd half of the season"
Weird. What are these quotes from his performance thread of the 2021/2022 season?

"As the season goes on he's becoming our best attacker, put him in a united team managed by a modern coach in their prime and he will look like 80 million well paid"

"Been getting progressively better as the season went on despite the horror show that is our team as a whole, if we can get him a reliable attacking partner next season then he will flourish"

"A team of Sancho's and we'll be neck and neck with city.
Enough technical ability
Brilliant decision making
Willing to do the work
That's what city football is all about and why they're so dominant"

Sylar

He has just come off a full preseason!!
I know, dont get me wrong, im not saying this is acceptable or anything. Hoping its one of those things, where more games will mean more adjustment to the body and then lasting longer.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For a player who seems to rely on clever interchanges/link-up play... he doesn't half do some dumb stuff at times.

In the second half he just ran about 15 yards offside without a care in the world for the offside line and called for the ball. It was bizarre.

Stacks

As has been said before he's very much a systems player, he doesn't have the electric pace to be a counter attacking winger, he needs for us to be on the ball playing 1-2's with clever passing and movement
  • what does this actually mean?
  • What system did Dortmund employ?
  • How many managers use a specific system?

Rossa

He's certainly not slow, and he's proven many times that he can go past pretty much any fullback using his acceleration, close control and dribbling. His speed isn't very different from Saka at Arsenal. What he does lack, however, is intensity in his play. Look at Antony how he would attack his fullback from the get go, and even if he didn't intend to go one on one, he challenged and then released the ball. Sancho just looks like he hasn't decided what to do, so he stops, lets the defense reassemble and everything stops. He needs to up his intensity, and even if it doesn't get him anywhere, he opens up space for others. His link-up play and close control are second to none, and for the love og god, he's not slow!

PoTMS

Watched him amble around yesterday and yet the OT faithful were on Rashford's back far more than him. He really needs to improve his intensity and fitness. He looks like he's in second gear and scared to take a man on.

Frank White

Sancho was balling until he got sick but sure, 3/10

Weird. What are these quotes from his performance thread of the 2021/2022 season?

"As the season goes on he's becoming our best attacker, put him in a united team managed by a modern coach in their prime and he will look like 80 million well paid"

"Been getting progressively better as the season went on despite the horror show that is our team as a whole, if we can get him a reliable attacking partner next season then he will flourish"

"A team of Sancho's and we'll be neck and neck with city.
Enough technical ability
Brilliant decision making
Willing to do the work
That's what city football is all about and why they're so dominant"
:lol: hyperbole after a good performance, mixed with delusion and a sprinkle of hope? Sancho got huge benefit of the doubt last season because of the team being what it was, doesn't make his performances good. Also De Gea was by far are best player last year fyi.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Putting in moments rather than performances at the moment. Not naturally suited to counter-attacking football for me. He's a player who I think can only excel in the right conditions, namely in a dominant team that has a lot of the ball and a lot of movements in the right areas. Probably the most technically gifted that we have, but is quite low intensity. He needs a lot of the ball.

spiriticon

Anybody using last season as the bar for 'good performances' needs to be kidnapped and sent to the gulags.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Because against packed defenses team is compressed, players are close to each other and to play through that you need excellent ball retention and passing in tight areas. Sancho has that, it just doesn't show in counter attacking system because there are big distances between players and clearly this system favours players making runs, and Sancho so far has been playing rather wide. There are exceptions like Leicester goal obviously, but I think he plays much more a traditional winger than suits him.
He's certainly not slow, and he's proven many times that he can go past pretty much any fullback using his acceleration, close control and dribbling. His speed isn't very different from Saka at Arsenal. What he does lack, however, is intensity in his play. Look at Antony how he would attack his fullback from the get go, and even if he didn't intend to go one on one, he challenged and then released the ball. Sancho just looks like he hasn't decided what to do, so he stops, lets the defense reassemble and everything stops. He needs to up his intensity, and even if it doesn't get him anywhere, he opens up space for others. His link-up play and close control are second to none, and for the love og god, he's not slow!
He's not slow, but not fast either (not winger-fast), certainly not Saka level. I never fancy Sancho chances in winning one-on-one from standing still or over a distance, he thrives in those spaces in between but wide-playmaker is pretty accurate description of him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.