5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Sancho - sees Malacia struggling, no sense of danger/anticipation, no sprinting.

Sees Malacia has lost the ball, zero urgency to go help...

Alarm bells are ringing, look at everyone sprinting, Sancho is closest to the ref and no sign of sprinting

At this point, Sancho is being outsprinted by everyone... including the ref... He's just starting to barely jog back

Everyone is sprinting, Sancho is about to disappear from the picture, that's what a lazy sequence that was.

Fuucking hell...

Rossa

He had a foot race with their left back but lost. I thought perhaps their player was fast, but then Rashford came on and tore him to pieces, making the same player look slow even.

Not even sure it’s a lack of speed, but more a lack of belief. He looks timid on the ball and simply does very little with it. Needs time on the bench.

ElBarto

Jadon Slugcho

Objective question: who's worse value for money: maguire or sancho?

Marwood

I think this clip sums of his attitude and mentality for me. Keep your eye on him throughout the whole video and you’ll notice that he’s one of the only players that didn’t sprint back to try and recover the ball despite being involved in the colossal mishap.
That is really not good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So he rubbish on the wing but the answer by some is to play him in a Fernandes role :lol:
It’s not an answer, I posed it as a question. It’s at least something different to a load of people posting “get rid” and “rubbish”.

Kaos

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him attempt to take on a fullback. The difference between him and Antony on both flanks was night and day.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It’s not an answer, I posed it as a question. It’s at least something different to a load of people posting “get rid” and “rubbish”.
Last season when he played on the right was he's better on the left, this season it's let's try him in the centre, answer me this how many goals do you think we'll concede with him passing back to Scotty every time he gets spooked by the closest player.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
350k reasons to not be arsed at all.
Think this is the main reason TBH, lack of motivation/incentive. Was given such a high salary despite being so young and not really having achieved anything yet in his career. He feels like he's already "made it" and is just resting on his laurels. It kind of reminds me of our frustration with Mesut Ozil towards the end of his tenure with us; we made the mistake of giving him such a big salary because we didn't want to lose him and Sanchez at the same time. His performances steadily declined after that, but at least Ozil was already world class and had won everything by that stage.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Sancho - sees Malacia struggling, no sense of danger/anticipation, no sprinting.

Alarm bells are ringing, look at everyone sprinting, Sancho is closest to the ref and no sign of sprinting

At this point, Sancho is being outsprinted by everyone... including the ref... He's just starting to barely jog back

Everyone is sprinting, Sancho is about to disappear from the picture, that's what a lazy sequence that was.

Fuucking hell...
Absolutely fecking disgraceful.

Also need to remember this was a sequence of play after the game had stopped for a minute or two while we took a set-piece. And relatively early in the match. So he couldn’t be any fresher and more physically able to sprint. That lazy fecking jog would be bad enough from someone trying to get back after sprinting the length of the pitch on a counter but it’s completely fecking inexcusable in this context.

Abraxas

He looks a bit like a young Juan Mata when he was shoehorned out wide at the moment. Except worse. Offering no intensity or explosiveness from a wide position, content to recycle possession and play a very risk free game. Not really what you want from wide forwards.

The worrying thing is one season is a bad season, the second one is a trend. We're starting to head down that path and the intensity doesn't seem to be there to address it from the player. When will the penny drop that he needs to work hard, last 90 mins, occasionally take people on to add variation to his game? It's the same thing every time.

Red00012

A bit of coaching wouldn’t go astray , he has no work rate to be thrown into a Fernandes role he’s just frustrate us even more

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Fuucking hell...
Hopefully its brought up when ETH gives him feedback

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First touch, ball manipulation, 1 touch passing, etc... I mean it's very easy to see. It's like thinking Rashford was more talented than Ravel because Rashford was better at first team football. Mentality matters a lot and that's something that Rashford is clearly showing as better than Sancho right now.

Why do you think I feel Sancho was awful today? It was due to his mentality. He was timid for no reason and treated the opposition with too much respect. Martial tried a dribble on the right hand side and failed. But he at least tried. He had the right mentality.
You are either making things up or you forgot what Rashford and Martial had done at Unied.

Rashford goal vs Chelsea 4-0 in 19/20 home from Pogba pass is also good example of Rashford have first touch that either equal or better than Sancho. If anything I see Martial and Antony have better first touch than Sancho so far.

Not sure what is this ball manipulation, elaborate please and what is so usefull in football?

1 touch passing. If anything his passing has been his weakness because he keeps missing simple passess.

Mentality is also part of talent.

I see a player who is not a good passer of the ball, inconsistent first touch and ball retention, incapable to beat his man in PL effectively, poor mentality, no work rate, easily being bodied and no aggression, and can't shoot. Although I can ackowledge he has skills to nutmeg, which is pointless.

redshaw

He did go through weird spells at Dortmund, it wasn't all fantastic, like getting subbed at half time, late for training. Dortmund seemed to manage his mental side of the game when he dropped off.

I expect ETH to address it but it's still concerning Sancho is putting in these half a sleep performances.

In Rainbows

That's just dreadful. If there are no options then a pass back can be excused but he has a player (Bruno?) making a forward run on the left, it's a five yard pass into space with no one likely to intercept it. WHY would anyone go backwards with the ball? Just why? :houllier:
To me it seems like he wanted to shoot or cross, but then Bruno went in front of him, which allowed the defender to get closer so when he attempted to do it after Bruno's run, he realized the defender closed the gap.

What's more inexcusable was him failing to track back. Like I can understand how he decided to pass back (as I explained), it's that there is no reason not to track back after you know your teammate messed up and you're the closest to him.

You are either making things up or you forgot what Rashford and Martial had done at Unied.

Rashford goal vs Chelsea 4-0 in 19/20 home from Pogba pass is also good example of Rashford have first touch that either equal or better than Sancho. If anything I see Martial and Antony have better first touch than Sancho so far.

Not sure what is this ball manipulation, elaborate please and what is so usefull in football?

1 touch passing. If anything his passing has been his weakness because he keeps missing simple passess.

Mentality is also part of talent.

I see a player who is not a good passer of the ball, inconsistent first touch and ball retention, incapable to beat his man in PL effectively, poor mentality, no work rate, easily being bodied and no aggression, and can't shoot. Although I can ackowledge he has skills to nutmeg, which is pointless.
That was more aimed at Rashford than Martial (who has better close control than Rashford).

You can't bring up an instance of Rashford having as good of a first touch. It's the consistency that makes the player have the better attribute. If you're a scout, why would you look at an instance of play and then declare players equal or better? That's nonsense. It's the consistency of ball control. Like Rashford is a better first division player than Angel Gomes, but who has the better close control? It's Gomes. The same is true with Januzaj.

Ball manipulation is the ability to drag the ball or touch it in a way to keep the ball to yourself in tight situations. Tricks play a part in this. It's a small part of the game, but goes into technical ability. For example, I don't believe Angel Gomes has this ability compared to Rashford or Greenwood. This skill can help you retain possession in unexpected instances of the defender being right on you, or it can help you dribble past a player. Think of Iniesta using the croqueta to helping him retain possession in dangerous situations.

Mentality goes into who makes the better player. For example, I don't care if I believe that Ravel is more talented, when I know Rashford is the better player. Ravel being more talented doesn't mean I don't believe Rashford is the better player. I don't believe the statements contradict one another. The reason why is because I would argue it's not a skill. Work rate can go into making who the more effective player is and all it takes is making the decision to work harder.

If you believe work rate goes into talent, then what about Rashford's work rate over the last year? Did that mean his talent was at a lower ceiling just last year? Does talent fluctuate to you? Or did it just mean that it affected his effectiveness on the football pitch? I believe it's the latter.

Sancho's passing in close quarters hasn't been a weakness. Sancho's crap play has largely been a case of him being timid, and thus anonymous. What did he really do bad against Ommonia that made his general play crap? Was it the one decision to play the pass to Malacia? Really? Or was it his consistent failure to even try to impact the match?

Sancho needs to stop playing so passive.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He’s an awful player extremely short on confidence. If you put in any professional from lower leagues and ask him to do exactly what he has done at United, virtually all of them will be able to do that because he’s done literally nothing. He gets the ball, is afraid to take on the defender so he stands still, passes it backwards - rinse and repeat. He has tried going past a player maybe five times in his United career.

Loan him out as soon as January. If he can’t retain confidence at another club, just write off his transfer. Surely Ajax/Lille/Hertha or another club in that mould will give him chances. Pointless trying to loan him within PL as no team would start him currently.

RedOrange

Fuucking hell...
Yeah... that looks like a motivation issue or something. He was not mentally up for this match at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To me it seems like he wanted to shoot or cross, but then Bruno went in front of him, which allowed the defender to get closer so when he attempted to do it after Bruno's run, he realized the defender closed the gap.

What's more inexcusable was him failing to track back. Like I can understand how he decided to pass back (as I explained), it's that there is no reason not to track back after you know your teammate messed up and you're the closest to him.
It’s a 2v1. If the defender tries to track Bruno’s run or get across to block a pass to him then Sancho can use that to check inside. It was a shocking decision to instead pass back to our one and only player in defence.

The lazy tracking back obviously compounded the decision but it was a very bad decision to begin with. He comes out of that whole sequence incredibly badly. I dunno what’s going on with him. He’s been so shit and so lazy recently.

It’s funny the way Lingard was absolutely despised by so many fans but the one thing you always got from him was effort. With Sancho you’re not even getting that. Which is the bare minimum that you should get from every player.

Waynne

I think this clip sums of his attitude and mentality for me. Keep your eye on him throughout the whole video and you’ll notice that he’s one of the only players that didn’t sprint back to try and recover the ball despite being involved in the colossal mishap.
Mistake 1: Bruno was overlapping him when he received the ball but he ignores Bruno's run.
Mistake 2: Passing back to Malacia in such an advantageous position is crazy.

Criticize the player for the mistakes (fair enough) but he's not going to make up 20 - 30m sprint to recover the ball he passed back. Even Bruno (who is going full tilt) when Malacia loses the ball is unable to make up that ground.

That said, I don't see a defining quality in Sancho.

Trex

He looks like what Tom cleverly would look like if he played wide and didn't press.
We need to have mandatory psychology sessions for our players, you could see the talent is there but he is overwhelmed, its something he can deal with better but only with the right help. At the moment he offer nothing of substance.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That is really not good.
At 0:09 he is the closest United player to Malacia.

At 0:14, there are 6 United players closer to Malacia than him.

He is a disgrace. This stuff must be pointed out in team video meetings, yeah? Surely Ten Hag needs to be asking him, in front of everyone; "Why aren't you running, Jadon? It's your error, why aren't you trying to fix it?"

AndyMUFC

Not doing enough to be starting with the goals Rashford and Martial are scoring, so hopefully some competition and being out of the team will light a fire under him.

mav_9me

Mistake 1: Bruno was overlapping him when he received the ball but he ignores Bruno's run.
Mistake 2: Passing back to Malacia in such an advantageous position is crazy.

Criticize the player for the mistakes (fair enough) but he's not going to make up 20 - 30m sprint to recover the ball he passed back. Even Bruno (who is going full tilt) when Malacia loses the ball is unable to make up that ground.

That said, I don't see a defining quality in Sancho.
I guess people didn't watch him at Dortmund.

Yes he hasn't shown that here.

But to me there is no question of his ability/quality. It's his application, attitude, approach that are in question here. Similar to Martial yr ago.

mav_9me

At 0:09 he is the closest United player to Malacia.

At 0:14, there are 6 United players closer to Malacia than him.

He is a disgrace. This stuff must be pointed out in team video meetings, yeah? Surely Ten Hag needs to be asking him, in front of everyone; "Why aren't you running, Jadon? It's your error, why aren't you trying to fix it?"
I am sure he does.

In Rainbows

It’s a 2v1. If the defender tries to track Bruno’s run or get across to block a pass to him then Sancho can use that to check inside. It was a shocking decision to instead pass back to our one and only player in defence.

The lazy tracking back obviously compounded the decision but it was a very bad decision to begin with. He comes out of that whole sequence incredibly badly. I dunno what’s going on with him. He’s been so shit and so lazy recently.

It’s funny the way Lingard was absolutely despised by so many fans but the one thing you always got from him was effort. With Sancho you’re not even getting that. Which is the bare minimum that you should get from every player.
I agree it was a bad bit of play, but I think that's due to him being dead set on that cross/shot in his head. The moment Bruno overlapped him, he still was dead set on it until he realized the defender was on him. Then he had to change his mind at the last minute and pass it to Malacia.

He really should have been more flexible in his thought process. At least that's what it looked like to me because passing to Bruno was really the only option and the easiest to execute option after Bruno overlapped him. That mental lapse cost him his place in the team (more of a final straw because he was anonymous the other times he played).

I just don't get it. Hell, it's like the exact opposite problem of Januzaj at United. Adnan was always running at players despite his lack of pace, and he really needed to tone that down. Jadon just won't try it. It's frustrating to watch.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Was catalogue of errors with Sancho being a big culprit. But watching it back couldn't believe Bruno ran in front of him on the overlap, stopped any chance of shot or cross. Typical brain dead Bruno play.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He looks really bad. I can’t see anything good about his game AND he is a lazy fecker. He’s basically Lingard without the effort right now. What the feck did we buy? Surely this is just a big rot and he is actually a huge talent that really did light up the Bundeliga and will light up the PL too eventually yeah? Right?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not exactly sure what he’s good at. Really hope he can turn it around given the rep and fee he came on.

Eddy_JukeZ

Rashford is a much better player than him and I said this even before Sancho was signed.

If you know who wasn't a POS, there'd be no place for him in the team.

There's no place for him if he performs like this. Tempted to get rid in the summer. We need more dynamism in attack.

Last edited:

Abraxas

He's not even fit, is he? I think that's part of the reason he doesn't track back. It's the same conclusion, laziness in his approach to the game, but I think that's the reason for it. He's scared that when he busts a gut to chase back or make attacking runs he'll be blowing before half time. This is what I think based on how managers continually haul him off. It's not just that his influence wanes beyond a pretty 15 mins spell, he is genuinely blowing.

Awful really. Someone should be telling him the optics would be a lot better if he's blowing out of his arse by half time but at least he's put a shift in.

Sylar

Him refusing to take on the guy as a winger is nonsensical. I get the whole recycle the ball theory but playing it back to a guy who is basically the last man is the worst decision of the two and riskier

The bigger problem However is what's been pointed out above, he fecking jogged half heartedly after we lost the ball, not even an effort to get back

Ridiculous attitude

redcucumber

He's not even fit, is he? I think that's part of the reason he doesn't track back. It's the same conclusion, laziness in his approach to the game, but I think that's the reason for it. He's scared that when he busts a gut to chase back or make attacking runs he'll be blowing before half time. This is what I think based on how managers continually haul him off. It's not just that his influence wanes beyond a pretty 15 mins spell, he is genuinely blowing.

Awful really. Someone should be telling him the optics would be a lot better if he's blowing out of his arse by half time but at least he's put a shift in.
You'd think instinctively he'd charge back after seeing his teammate under significant pressure from the opposition as the last man, from a pass he fecking made. He just got pelters from all and sundry for not tracking back after we shipped 6 against City, a few weeks after he was left at home and not picked by the national team. His head just isn't in the game, which is weird because he had a decent to good preseason and start to the season (first 2 PL games notwithstanding).

If ten Hag can sort his mentality out, there's clearly a player there. If not, you wonder where he'll be in a few years.

stevoc

He looked better on the right in pre-season and before Antony came.

Abraxas

You'd think instinctively he'd charge back after seeing his teammate under significant pressure from the opposition as the last man, from a pass he fecking made. He just got pelters from all and sundry for not tracking back after we shipped 6 against City, a few weeks after he was left at home and not picked by the national team. His head just isn't in the game, which is weird because he had a decent to good preseason and start to the season (first 2 PL games notwithstanding).

If ten Hag can sort his mentality out, there's clearly a player there. If not, you wonder where he'll be in a few years.
He should have done, absolutely. I just feel like he knows he's unfit and the instinct is more for self preservation now after getting taken off as I think he tracked back a little better earlier in the season. Fitness and faith in your training is a big part of the athlete's psyche and through his own bone idleness I think that's lacking. I could be over analysing it, I'm not sure but either way it's poor.

Well, people were going mad during preseason saying he's our best player and all this stuff which I and some others were cautioning against. At the moment Sancho is nothing more than a show pony which is why those low intensity games suited him.

Red_toad

One of the worst players of all time.
I thought It was Rashford when he turns in a similar type of performance on the left, or perhaps Maguire when he doesn’t even play but some just want to get those knives stabbed away somewhere, Hes a good player who obviously is having confidence issues, or maybe is unhappy at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.