2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SER19

And that's totally fine and probably was fair to do. But all of this means that EtH decided to enforce this read line by completely banning Sancho. He could have suspended him for two weeks as well for example.
Not without apology

SER19

Well that's all well and good but Tan Hag was the one who lowered the standard by talking about him in the media in the first place. Sancho simply responded, this is the main reason why this almost never happens.

Also everyone has underperformed, and he's definitely not been the laziest one on the pitch, yet Ten Hag says and does nothing about it.
No i think you're logic is inconsistent now. I can cite countless examples where managers do what ten hag did, often more harshly, but very few examples of a player reacting as sancho did. The fact that ten hag doesn't publicly call out countless underperformers doesn't strengthen your argument, it weakens it - we have live real time proof that he sets a high bar for public criticism and somehow sancho has passed it despite being surrounded by poor players. He all but called the manager a liar and made an insinuation about him that can only be interpreted in a negative light. Its just not negotiable - you apologise to any boss if you do that

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Sancho doing well over there is more a reflection of quality of that league than Man Utd being a shambles which it most certainly is. His lack of effort and work rate was absolutely appalling, atrocious professional. I hope he does well for our sake so we can recoup some of the investment.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
What's also curious is that all of this happened before at Dortmund without escalating. Their manager and DoF both publicly made similar statements about Sancho (multiple times!) and we even had the "I feel like a scapegoat" post from Sancho once. The reaction from the club was basically "feel whatever you want, perform better and than there won't be any problem". If you make a public statement and get a public reply that you don't like, you shouldn't be surprised.

Dortmund had no problem getting him in line while United had. Of course we can repeat all the points about how United is so much of a bigger club that couldn't accept these little issues etc, but in the end we have a club that was carried for four seasons by Sancho and then sold him for 85m, and another club that got almost nothing out of him and made themselves a laughing stock by the terms of this loans.
One simple but big factor at play to me there: the media attention and ability for players to get distracted by a life of glitz n glamour are far greater at United.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No i think you're logic is inconsistent now. I can cite countless examples where managers do what ten hag did, often more harshly, but very few examples of a player reacting as sancho did. The fact that ten hag doesn't publicly call out countless underperformers doesn't strengthen your argument, it weakens it - we have live real time proof that he sets a high bar for public criticism and somehow sancho has passed it despite being surrounded by poor players. He all but called the manager a liar and made an insinuation about him that can only be interpreted in a negative light. Its just not negotiable - you apologise to any boss if you do that
Or you look to part ways because you won't get on common ground with that boss again.

Hammondo

That is all irrelevant, if a manager calls out someone publicly, then that person can respond publicly and disagree.

That is what happened, and it is immature to react this way.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is good. United is the problem. No successful attacking signing at United since RVP.
This point doesn't get hammered enough. You can make a first 11 of failed attacking players with 5 subs that were signed in the last 10yrs

Even seasoned EPL buys like Alexis Lukaku Maguire

SER19

That's highly unprofessional. Sanction him and be done with it if you feel that's absolutely necessary. No need to make it personal.
Completely disagree. He needs to go to the manager and admit he made a stupid mistake, commit to it not happening again - then sit and have a frank conversation like adults. It doesnt surprise me at all that an instagram footballer took to instagram to hype up his conspiracy theories. He was playing shit, by all accounts training shit, and got mildly called out for that. Then behaved like a child.

I'm done on this topic now, thanks for engaging. Im glad he's gone and like pogba and lingard, dont suspect we'll miss his out of shape self moping around the club any longer

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
One couldn't dream of an easier start for his loan. Playing against the 18th and last placed team last week, now against the 17th.

FortunaUtd

So far, a mediocre performance in a thoroughly mediocre team. Dortmund are pretty run down as a club and as a squad, honestly, people still go on how they are a well run club when the evidence shows they are not really. Not sure where all the money from player sales is going, it certainly is not reinvested into the squad so I assume, shareholders.
I've said it before, if anyone is looking for reasons why Bayern are so unchallenged in this sad sack of a league, look no further than Dortmund's systemic lack of ambition.

FortunaUtd

Patrick Owomoyela of course says it's a stonewall pen.
Laughable pen. He was hit, but then ran another 3 meters only to throw himself down golden raspberry style after a featherlight tug. VAR should have taken it back, guess they are starstruck that such a big name like Sancho is back in the league so starved of big names.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Amazing penalty won by Sancho few minutes ago, dribbled past 2 players as it was the easiest job in the world.
Sad they didnt let him take despite I did read "please please please" on his lips, probably he wanted to score.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Laughable pen. He was hit, but then ran another 3 meters only to throw himself down golden raspberry style after a featherlight tug. VAR should have taken it back, guess they are starstruck that such a big name like Sancho is back in the league so starved of big names.
It was a pretty soft penalty, but it wasn't a severe referee mistake (which is the threshold for VAR overruling it). Still lucky for Sancho, that he got it.

lsd

The Oracle
Amazing penalty won by Sancho few minutes ago, dribbled past 2 players as it was the easiest job in the world.
Sad they didnt let him take despite I did read "please please please" on his lips, probably he wanted to score.

Not really a shock he is a great player that we wasted as usual

RoyH1

Let's not start obsessing every time he plays about we may or not have wasted. Him performing well is a positive. We can get more money from a sale.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A great player who can't hack it with the athletes of the PL. Same with Antony, Facundo and Hopefully not Amad.

Incredible how our recruitment team can't see you need pace, power and stamina in this league with very few exceptions.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Let's not start obsessing every time he plays about we may or not have wasted. Him performing well is a positive. We can get more money from a sale.
Aye it's some weird kind of confirmation bias. Somehow almost every player who leaves us people think suddenly does great but every half decent player at this level has his moments.

Joel Miller

A great player who can't hack it with the athletes of the PL. Same with Antony, Facundo and Hopefully not Amad.

Incredible how our recruitment team can't see you need pace, power and stamina in this league with very few exceptions.
I sometimes wonder if it’s to do with the general mismanagement of the club as much as anything else. How can so many players who did well elsewhere turn up at Old Trafford and suddenly drop their level so significantly. It just seems a bit crazy.

PoTMS

Good job at getting the transfer fee up, pal. Hopefully we can get £50m from someone stupid enough to pay it.

thisisnottaken1

I sometimes wonder if it’s to do with the general mismanagement of the club as much as anything else. How can so many players who did well elsewhere turn up at Old Trafford and suddenly drop their level so significantly. It just seems a bit crazy.
I agree with you on that point, there’s no way this is a coincidence and ultimately the Glazers are yet again to blame.

HookedOnAPhelan

:lol: It was incredibly soft. Less of a penalty than Garnacho vs. Spurs. No way he gets that in the PL.

And he didn't do much apart from that.

Irwin99

And never really recover when they leave too. You could make a list of players that have left here in the past ten years and gone on to do really well and enhance their careers and it would be a very small list. Even some of the players you could include who went on to do some good things and win titles or reach champions league finals-Lukaku, Herrera, Smalling, Young etc. didn't really play that much better than their time here. Di Maria is probably the only one i can think of who left and did much better.

Our recruitment has been very poor.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Without wanting to sound biased, the arguments in favour of Sancho in this thread make zero sense.

If he was as good as people insinuate, he would never have signed for United because Pep would never have let him leave City. They've signed multiple wide players since he left.

He also wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place, because he would have been in the squad for the Arsenal game. The fact he wasn't and no one really thought all that much of it until he responded to a mild comment from ETH on twitter, doesn't substantiate this idea he was a great attacking player that United were "wasting".

I cant be arsed to trawl back through 4-5 year old posts but i was always sceptical of him as a potential pl player as i dont think he has any particularly exceptional or explosive attribute to make him stand out in a league as physical and competitive as the premier league. If you're a wide player and you don’t have explosive pace, ability to score goals of your own making, exceptional strength, or technical ability that is almost off the scale, you will struggle at the top end of the pl. Sancho has none if these things.

He hasn't gotten a looking for England in years, he got plenty pf games at United and the best he managed was to look tidy a few times. He is also not the first similar type of player to stand out at Dortmund only to fail to deal with the intensity of the pl.

There really is nothing to base this idea he's a great player who's somehow been unfairly treated by three separate United managers on. Other than the usual redcafe routine of wanting to reinvent reality to sh*t on either our manager or one of our players.

Like him or loathe him, there is absolutely nothing about the way ETH manages to suggest he wouldn’t have been playing Sancho, if he was doing well enough.

Amd for the record I thought ETH handled the whole thing terribly, but the fact is it happened because Sancho wasn't good enough to get in our squad, and it dragged on because Sancho didn't want to respect his boss/manager, which in pretty much any job, anywhere, doesn't get you far.

This point doesn't get hammered enough. You can make a first 11 of failed attacking players with 5 subs that were signed in the last 10yrs

Even seasoned EPL buys like Alexis Lukaku Maguire
I don't fully disagree but Zlatan was a successful signing. The only good for one season argument doesn't work, because that can also apply to RVP. Martinez, Lake Shaw, Bissaka, Varane, Casemiro, all proven to be important. Eriksen was very important last season. Matic had a good first season. Cavan was very important in his first season. Martial was very good his first season. Herrera, Malta both ended up being pretty important.

The problem isn't that we ruin players. It's that we don't sign them with any kind of plan or strategy. Although in Sancho's case it's not like he ever looked good in a United shirt or for any other comparable team in the first place.

RVN1991

He was just as unimpressive with England as he was with United. Dortmund and the Bundesliga are his level, not to belittle his ability but you can see it in the penalty he won, I don't know much about Koln but the defending was comical. His style of play suits the Bundesliga far better than the premier League as well.

Withnail

Sancho didn't drop his level. He was making a step up and didn't raise his level to meet the demands of the PL. It doesn't seem that he was interested in doing that or recognised that he'd have to work a lot harder to be successful in the PL. Now he's looking good again because he's dropped back down where he gets more space and time.

He doesn't seem to have the work ethic to make it to the top at the moment and I'm not sure the penny is ever going to drop for him on that front.