g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jarrod Bowen under investigation for racist tweet

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yes. Yes they were.
I know people who went to grammar schools during the years you say they were "outlawed". Were these illegal, underground grammar schools?

That graph you linked even shows the number of grammar schools hasn't changed (neither up nor down) for four decades. None were outlawed in 1996 and none were reintroduced in 2016.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I know people who went to grammar schools during the years you say they were "outlawed". Were these illegal, underground grammar schools?

That graph you linked even shows the number of grammar schools hasn't changed (neither up nor down) for four decades. None were outlawed in 1996 and none were reintroduced in 2016.
I guess you didn’t take the time to open the link. In the 1960s and 1970s the majority of grammar schools were changed to comps. In 1998, Tony Blair banned the opening of new grammar / selective schools, not existing ones.

In 2016, Teresa May controversially reversed the ban and planned to reintroduce grammar and selective schools. She lost power soon after, and also politics became so engrossed in Brexit that everything else was forgotten about.

Keep arguing with FACHTS all day, if you want. I think I still have 7 more replies to use today.

mu4c_20le

That's also true, I suppose. Part of me feels that a fine seems harsh at this point, but I agree with your point as well. The FA can't seem to be seen as being alright with these sort of comments made by anyone, even at that age, and letting this go unpunished wouldn't be a good look, moving forward.
Inaction does not necessarily mean they are alright with it, more to do with the fact that they shouldn't have the jurisdiction to punish people for historic offenses, especially when committed during childhood. This is some big brother shit that I'd expect from the likes of North Korea or Russia, where governing authorities 'cannot be seen as being alright' with such things, and must act accordingly in order to send a message to the public. Places where image is more important than actual fairness, or common sense.

duffer

Scout
I guess you didn’t take the time to open the link. In the 1960s and 1970s the majority of grammar schools were changed to comps. In 1998, Tony Blair banned the opening of new grammar / selective schools, not existing ones.

In 2016, Teresa May controversially reversed the ban and planned to reintroduce grammar and selective schools. She lost power soon after, and also politics became so engrossed in Brexit that everything else was forgotten about.

Keep arguing with FACHTS all day, if you want. I think I still have 7 more replies to use today.

You're getting it now.

Previously you said grammar schools were "abolished" and then that they they were "outlawed".

Now you're correctly saying they just stopped opening new ones and turned a load into comprehensives.

The idea of "outlaw" grammar schools did make me chuckle though, all those nerds sneaking in to take advanced maths lessons whilst trying to avoid arrest.

Ladron de redcafe

Inaction does not necessarily mean they are alright with it, more to do with the fact that they shouldn't have the jurisdiction to punish people for historic offenses, especially when committed during childhood. This is some big brother shit that I'd expect from the likes of North Korea or Russia, where governing authorities 'cannot be seen as being alright' with such things, and must act accordingly in order to send a message to the public. Places where image is more important than actual fairness, or common sense.
I'm not sure where I stand on this because I see your point as well and agree with it. It's a bit of an unenviable position insomuch as there isn't necessarily going to be a satisfactory conclusion from the FA regarding punishment or a lackthereof.

The bolded bit is something that's hard to disagree with. That's why some suggested mandating a racial sensitivity class; that wouldn't constitute punishment but avoids the inactivity that some might interpret as ignoring those statements (even though, as you pointed out, it wouldn't necessarily mean that's the case.)

Spaghetti

Mom's
You're getting it now.

Previously you said grammar schools were "abolished" and then that they they were "outlawed".

Now you're correctly saying they just stopped opening new ones and turned a load into comprehensives.

The idea of "outlaw" grammar schools did make me chuckle though, all those nerds sneaking in to take advanced maths lessons whilst trying to avoid arrest.
It is what I said at the beginning. I can forgive you though as you were not directly involved in the conversation and there are several arguments taking place at the same time.

“Abolished” is the official term, whether we agree with its use or not. I’m not sure how outlaw got into the discussion; it’s not a word I tend to use in non-Robin-Hood-related issues.

Under Conservative governments from 1951-1964 this was the prevalent system, but by 1965 when Labour came to power it was actively discouraged, it was seen as a schooling system that favoured the elite and wealthy. Labour formally abolished grammar schools in 1976 giving way to the Comprehensive System.’

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Between @Ladron de redcafe and @calodo2003 having the worst e-fight of all time and @Spaghetti still posting nonsense about illegal speakeasy-style grammar schools this thread really has become a shitshow.

Given the subject matter it’s almost impressive where we’ve ended up.

duffer

Scout
It is what I said at the beginning. I can forgive you though as you were not directly involved in the conversation and there are several arguments taking place at the same time.

“Abolished” is the official term, whether we agree with its use or not. I’m not sure how outlaw got into the discussion; it’s not a word I tend to use in non-Robin-Hood-related issues.

Under Conservative governments from 1951-1964 this was the prevalent system, but by 1965 when Labour came to power it was actively discouraged, it was seen as a schooling system that favoured the elite and wealthy. Labour formally abolished grammar schools in 1976 giving way to the Comprehensive System.’
Apology accepted.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Between @Ladron de redcafe and @calodo2003 having the worst e-fight of all time and @Spaghetti still posting nonsense about illegal speakeasy-style grammar schools this thread really has become a shitshow.

Given the subject matter it’s almost impressive where we’ve ended up.
Nonsense? How very dare you! Never in my life have I resorted to posting nonsense.

Sounds to me like you’re trying to make Ladrón and Calodos fight the second worst e-fight in history

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nonsense? How very dare you! Never in my life have I resorted to posting nonsense.

Sounds to me like you’re trying to make Ladrón and Calodos fight the second worst e-fight in history
I’m not interested in violence. I’m too scared I’m going to be dragged off to prison for having attended an illegal school in my youth.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I’m not interested in violence. I’m too scared I’m going to be dragged off to prison for having attended an illegal school in my youth.
Don’t go all Latin on me. Us comprehensive thickos won’t be able to keep up.

OL29

Then you should know there was no malice in what he tweeted!!
As I said in a subsequent post, I am not white. I am a citizen of the Choctaw Nation. I have lived my live working with our tribal council to find ways to make sure our youth grow up with a positive self image. This kid using a pop culture reference is not the slight bit racist. The journalist that is trying to profit from it is the problem because it distracts from the real problem when there is malice involved.
I never said there was malice in the tweet, that doesn’t take away from the fact that what Bowen tweeted was offensive. Also, I’m not really interested in what race you are, in your original post, you stated this:

Using that phrase back then was both sarcastic and at times a term of endearment, regardless of the race of the speaker. It was known by all parties there was no malice in its use.
This is genuinely one of the most ignorant and tone deaf statements I’ve seen on this site, and trust me, I’ve seen a few. I think you’d do well to refrain from making all encompassing statements moving forward.

rhajdu

That's interesting, because this was your first post in this topic:

No, grammar schools were abolished about 40 years ago.

Even still, there are people everywhere who make grammatical mistakes in their own language.
Someone asked (jokingly?) whether they teach grammar in the UK and that was your first response. I guess that you tried to look it up and found an article about grammar schools, misunderstood the concept and started this whole conversation.

Spaghetti

Mom's
That's interesting, because this was your first post in this topic:

Someone asked (jokingly?) whether they teach grammar in the UK and that was your first response. I guess that you tried to look it up and found an article about grammar schools, misunderstood the concept and started this whole conversation.
My comment about not speaking nonsense was firmly tongue-in-cheek, my friend.

Yes, the original question was jokingly asked and my response about grammar schools was also a joke. Being called “grammar schools” doesn’t really have any reference to their teaching of English grammar. I was, however, mistaken that they still exist. I quite clearly hadn’t looked anything up and was under the impression that they had all been long closed.

I know there were a lot of messages and I understand if you can’t be bothered to go through them all, but this has clearly been established.

Tarrou

Maybe we should just delete this thread and pretend it never happened

like Bluemoon did with their Pogba thread after we signed him

rhajdu

My comment about not speaking nonsense was firmly tongue-in-cheek, my friend.

Yes, the original question was jokingly asked and my response about grammar schools was also a joke. Being called “grammar schools” doesn’t really have any reference to their teaching of English grammar. I was, however, mistaken that they still exist. I quite clearly hadn’t looked anything up and was under the impression that they had all been long closed.

I know there were a lot of messages and I understand if you can’t be bothered to go through them all, but this has clearly been established.
Actually I have been following this thread from the very first post and already replied to you a few times, because you also stated that "as a general school rule though, grammar is not taught in the UK." Everyone who has 5 to 10 minutes can read through the conversation and see a few good examples of mental gymnastics.

I would love to continue this conversation, but someone just whispered in my ear that "the denial is too strong with this one."

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Actually I have been following this thread from the very first post and already replied to you a few times, because you also stated that "as a general school rule though, grammar is not taught in the UK." Everyone who has 5 to 10 minutes can read through the conversation and see a few good examples of mental gymnastics.

I would love to continue this conversation, but someone just whispered in my ear that "the denial is too strong with this one."
@Grib

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
This seems to be non-existent in conversations about racism (particularly about black people in the West) but don't you think that a good chunk of this problem might disappear a few years down the line if Western blacks STOPPED using racial slurs on each other?
I'm a black African so not sure if that is the daily norm in real life in the Western black community, but literally every single thing they put out their depicting their culture is littered with racially charged or other offensive words. From music to movies and even worse, their comedy. I watch a black American comedian and the n word is literally the only thing you can make out of what is being said. Funny thing is , you'd expect groans from the mostly black audience but is met with cheers instead.
Language is always evolving and the only way it dies out is when people stop speaking it. Maybe if they stop using the language they hate so much against each other, it might be a gaint step in the right direction.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Then the issue is your comprehension. Or perhaps you are just twisting posts for your agenda or to create an argument.

I said schools generally didn’t teach grammar about 10 pages ago. I was basing it from when I went to school and when I lived in the UK. It was pointed out to me that it changed in 2013, it was accepted and the conversation moved on. This is why I assumed you hadn’t read the thread.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This seems to be non-existent in conversations about racism (particularly about black people in the West) but don't you think that a good chunk of this problem might disappear a few years down the line if Western blacks STOPPED using racial slurs on each other?
I'm a black African so not sure if that is the daily norm in real life in the Western black community, but literally every single thing they put out their depicting their culture is littered with racially charged or other offensive words. From music to movies and even worse, their comedy. I watch a black American comedian and the n word is literally the only thing you can make out of what is being said. Funny thing is , you'd expect groans from the mostly black audience but is met with cheers instead.
Language is always evolving and the only way it dies out is when people stop speaking it. Maybe if they stop using the language they hate so much against each other, it might be a gaint step in the right direction.
Interesting use of they... as opposed to we.

Pagh Wraith

So so happy Twitter wasn't around when I was that age. Off the top of my head I remember drunk friends chanting NSDAP, homophobic slurs left, right and centre, some hip hop track that was played in the schoolyard and went something like "Who smoked all the weed? The n-word" and people imitating Hitler's voice using a piece of sweets wrapper (that one is still funny to be fair). The only thing that may have possibly been off-limits was jokes about the Holocaust. But even on that I'm not 100%.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So so happy Twitter wasn't around when I was that age. Off the top of my head I remember drunk friends chanting NSDAP, homophobic slurs left, right and centre, some hip hop track that was played in the schoolyard and went something like "Who smoked all the weed? The n-word" and people imitating Hitler's voice using a piece of sweets wrapper (that one is still funny to be fair). The only thing that may have possibly been off-limits was jokes about the Holocaust. But even on that I'm not 100%.
Have never heard this before. Link?