Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Bebe

Maybe so, I was younger then so wasn't aware of the issue back then but we've only Tory rule for the past 13 years so it's come more of an issue since the Referendum.
Understandable, the longer one team is on top the more irritating their stances will become. For context, I'm Canadian. Something I often notice on this forum recently is that in the UK things appear to be dominated by the Tory party, while here our equivalent conservative or "center right" politicians are mostly a powerless group of bumbling idiots. The "left" has been laughing at them and having its way (which includes censorship, cancelling and excessive government control) in my country for almost ten years. For the ten years before this, the conservatives were in power and using the same playbook. Hence my point that it seems, to my mind, that whoever holds the stick tends to wield it like an arsehole, right or left.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes more damaging to the BEEB, who I have long supported, will be greater. Clearly GL's choice of words could have been better, that comparison with the Third Reich vibe is never wise. But his overall point is bang on. He spoke with integrity on Quatar, etc. Hopefully it can be resolved, no way the person mentioned in the thread title could even shine his boots on TV.

TheGame

Understandable, the longer one team is on top the more irritating their stances will become. For context, I'm Canadian. Something I often notice on this forum recently is that in the UK things appear to be dominated by the Tory party, while here our equivalent conservative or "center right" politicians are mostly a powerless group of bumbling idiots. The "left" has been laughing at them and having its way (which includes censorship, cancelling and excessive government control) in my country for almost ten years. For the ten years before this, the conservatives were in power and using the same playbook. Hence my point that it seems, to my mind, that whoever holds the stick tends to wield it like an arsehole, right or left.
I think the standard of politics here has got considerably worse since David Cameron was in office, before then politicians were held accountable if they did anything wrong e.g affairs, corruption and they would have to resign. Cameron started with the sleaze and since the Referendum, Boris and the Tories have taken it to a different level where they are now corrupt openly and get away with it.

Snafu17

Jenas taking it would be a bit like that Mitchell and Webb skit where Hitler dies and the Nazi's install some very enthusiastic general as his replacement, with loads of plans on how to run the Reich while they just need someone to say that they surrender.

It's somewhat topical as well with the whole Nazi bit.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Alastair Campbell's a cnut.

andy0

It's off-topic - except suddenly it isn't - that the BBC are also chickening out of showing one programme in the upcoming new Attenborough series, in which he comments on some wildlife and environmental issues - in case it upsets some right wing Tories

When did these Tory hardliners suddenly turn so soaking wet?

TheGame

Jenas taking it would be a bit like that Mitchell and Webb skit where Hitler dies and the Nazi's install some very enthusiastic general as his replacement, with loads of plans on how to run the Reich while they just need someone to say that they surrender.

It's somewhat topical as well with the whole Nazi bit.

Fluctuation0161

Yes more damaging to the BEEB, who I have long supported, will be greater. Clearly GL's choice of words could have been better, that comparison with the Third Reich vibe is never wise. But his overall point is bang on. He spoke with integrity on Quatar, etc. Hopefully it can be resolved, no way the person mentioned in the thread title could even shine his boots on TV.
I think his comparison of the language was historically correct. As has been confirmed by many better educated people than me. Some of whom were educated in Germnay about German history.

The real problem this issue should highlight is this guy being head of the BBC. Tory donor, Boris supporter who arenaged dodgy loans for him. Put in place by Tories for Tories.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/richard-sharp-bbc-boris-johnson-loan-b2280531.html

Mou Mou Land

No Lineker, Shearer or Wirght - now that is what is called a result!

MOTD might actually become interesting...........