Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Obviously the BBC have got this quite wrong....

but because they can't get a presenter or pundits the show is now going to be focused entirely on match highlights. Sounds... better. Much better. Might even start watching it again.
With no one commenting even

Eric_the_Red99

I think many swing voters will see beyond the BBC here and who is influencing it.
Yes, it’s quite clear that the majority of BBC workers are backing Lineker on this. It’s the small number of Tory appointees - Robbie Gibb, Tim Davie, Richard Sharp - who wield disproportionate power at the Beeb who are clearly behind today’s events (after the actual BBC managers were content to draw a line under the incident earlier on).

And I feel they may have made a rather huge strategic error by overplaying their hand in this case. Not only will they be forced to back down over Lineker, they will have also drawn public attention to their corrupting influence on the BBC, meaning the spotlight will be on them (and their tweets) from now on.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The complete nuclear levels of “fecked it” do make you wonder whether this is a calculated Trojan horse effort to destroy the Beeb once and for all. We all know they want to eventually, and there was just absolutely no need to do this, or indeed anything at all. It would’ve just gone away.

Though the even money, as always, is on ‘just arrogant Tory shits thinking they’d get away with it cos they usually do.’

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
The complete nuclear levels of “fecked it” do make you wonder whether this is a calculated Trojan horse effort to destroy the Beeb once and for all. We all know they want to eventually, and there was just absolutely no need to do this, or indeed anything at all. It would’ve just gone away.

Though the even money, as always, is on ‘just arrogant Tory shits thinking they’d get away with it cos they usually do.’
I did consider that until I remembered how thick this Tory party is, I mean it's screwed up a 80 seat majority rather quickly for anyone to be able to rate them as being intelligent.

Think they thought they had a plan and whatever that plan was has just completely backfired on them

Be interesting to see the viewing figures for motd tonight, I know I will just watch all the goals on YouTube. Hope figures are down

Fluctuation0161

Not sure what the current chairman of the BBC and loans have to do with this. I know people that have worked at the BBC over the past 10+ years. Its very left leaning. As to Sugar, did no one complain after that tweet? I have no idea what happened with that.

My point is that the BBC are not right leaning. He broke their rules. He has a history of pushing their boundaries. He has been punished this time. You would have to talk to them about why they haven't punished Sugar. Perhaps because the Apprentice is his show? I don't know.
He didn't break the BBC rules. Those particular rules only apply to current affairs and news department workers.

You completely ignore the fact that the Tories have put their friends with extreme right views in leadership positions in the BBC. That is why the current BBC chairman and his financial links to the Tory party are relevant. I'm surprised someone has to spell this out.

Fluctuation0161

He can say what he likes, and BBC can impose their judgement whatever way they like too. Comparing the current small boats crisis to Nazi Germany was an absurd position in my opinion, one I'm not going to get into here even though I believe migrants willing to make those journeys should be treated with compassion. There are too many simply absurd contradictions with his insinuation for me to think he's particularly well educated about nazi germany and doubling down on his position just makes him seem doubly ignorant in my opinion.
He said the language being used is similar to 1930s Germany. Not comparing the small boats "crisis" to Nazi Germany.

Please do some research before spouting or sprouting strong opinions.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah I don't think it's any great 4d chess move by the Tories. They're just fecking useless and incapable of going more than a day or two without some monumental feckup.

Sunak himself can't be happy with this, it's relegated his meeting with Macron way down the list of headlines. Like his Brexit deal last week immediately being engulfed with the Matt Hancock texts stuff.

caid

Aye that's probably true tbf, don't watch MOTD and think Lineker is a prick anyway so it's doesn't affect me, but it's ridiculous how news worthy everywhere is finding it.
Thats kind of the point. Wall to wall gary lineker coverage, nothing else happening at the moment. Ignore these various grotesque's Boris Johnson wants on the honor list. He only broke his wifes nose ONCE, his friends said so and they have initimate knowledge of all the beatings for some reason.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Why is the thread title still about Jermaine Jenas:lol: Been like that for ages

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes, it’s quite clear that the majority of BBC workers are backing Lineker on this. It’s the small number of Tory appointees - Robbie Gibb, Tim Davie, Richard Sharp - who wield disproportionate power at the Beeb who are clearly behind today’s events (after the actual BBC managers were content to draw a line under the incident earlier on).

And I feel they may have made a rather huge strategic error by overplaying their hand in this case. Not only will they be forced to back down over Lineker, they will have also drawn public attention to their corrupting influence on the BBC, meaning the spotlight will be on them (and their tweets) from now on.
We can but hope.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You come across insane in the last few pages.

It commonly just means someone who lives outside their native country. I've never ever seen anyone offended at the term
Whatever the varying definitions of various terms that you can use, people like myself (and Paul) who have moved permanently to a country and even taken up citizenship are almost universally called immigrants and never expats.

Expats tend to be temporary migrants especially to countries where there is either little or no ability to become citizens and/or locals and non-locals tend to live very separate lives e.g.the Middle East.

I would not like being called an expat as it Isa term that separates me from my fellow Australians. Not that I'd be insulted but I'd probably comment to say that, no, I'm Australian.

And knock off the insults please.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It’s ‘interesting’ how there was no outrage when Andrew Neil regularly tweeted his own (clearly right of centre) political views while working for the BBC (to be fair he was professional and forensically grilled everyone from across the political spectrum), or even when Lineker previously tweeted criticisms of Jeremy Corbyn.

Of course Tory crybabies desperately trying to shut down criticisms aimed at them and exert their influence over the BBC is nothing new.

berbasloth4

Tbh can see it happening. He be alot cheaper than Lineker who I think is highest paid and bbc - and also don't like saying this part cause it shouldn't be an issue but jenas ethnicity gives bbc good behaviour points.

Ps I am always first to put my hand up when I'm wrong and one of my biggest wrongs wS when we signed Carrick I wanted jenas instead. I was young and the beer musta been very strong

Withnail

Pickle85

And again cut the patronising comments please.
Eh?! That poster was patronizing to me first, just because they're over sensitive and didn't like me laughing at a joke made at their expense.

Terminology aside - and I stand by the fact that 'expat' doesn't have insulting connotations - that poster has had a shocker these last few pages but I don't think anyone's been out of order to them. There's much worse on here every day.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Eh?! That poster was patronizing to me first, just because they're over sensitive and didn't like me laughing at a joke made at their expense.

Terminology aside - and I stand by the fact that 'expat' doesn't have insulting connotations - that poster has had a shocker these last few pages but I don't think anyone's been out of order to them. There's much worse on here every day.
Part of a pile on is the issue.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
to be fair it’s a forum and people are having their say without using insults for the most part. Not sure this needs to be over-modded tbh.
It hasn't been. No warnings or other intervention has occurred. It just seemed like a pile on.

DavelinaJolie

fecking Tories, have been trying to destroy the BBC for years, looks like they are getting closer to their goal.

saivet

He links to this article from 2018 where the BBC said the following in his defence after a row over potential impartiality:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46566574
Also has this quote too:
In 2016, when he was criticised for some tweets about child migrants, the BBC responded by saying: "Gary is a freelance broadcaster and this is a personal Twitter account."
The BBC really fecked themselves over and it would be interesting to know why he was fine to present on Thursday but a dramatic change of tune yesterday.

Perhaps they should have focused on his tweet being about a comparison to Germany in the 1930's specifically rather than some general bs about impartiality and political tweets. He's been tweeting political stuff for years!

Barthez

Does anyone actually care that much? - Its chip shop wrapping newspaper news. Personally I tend to fast forward all the bits between the games anyway so this will just save me the job. Both the BBC and Lineker have managed to get the attention they both crave…..

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s ‘interesting’ how there was no outrage when Andrew Neil regularly tweeted his own (clearly right of centre) political views while working for the BBC (to be fair he was professional and forensically grilled everyone from across the political spectrum), or even when Lineker previously tweeted criticisms of Jeremy Corbyn.

Of course Tory crybabies desperately trying to shut down criticisms aimed at them and exert their influence over the BBC is nothing new.

Alan Sugar attacked Corbyn and implored people to vote Tory, Emily Maitliss called for a coup in the Labour Party to oust Corbyn. Not a whisper.

Maticmaker

Does anyone actually care that much? - Its chip shop wrapping newspaper news. Personally I tend to fast forward all the bits between the games anyway so this will just save me the job. Both the BBC and Lineker have managed to get the attention they both crave…..
No, don't think they do, Lineker gone ( for good, ooh can it be true?). Shearer and Wright on his coat tails, do they also work for Linekers company? Some commentators ruling themselves out as well ...it gets better and better...let's get some new blood in there.