g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philadelphian

You ask the question and then fail to explore it.
He is respected by his manager, team mates, pundits and has played for his country at all levels.
People in the game seem to rate him, but what do they know?
There is also circumstance. Such as only being played so much due to a lack of options. Considering we can't put the ball in the net, I doubt a guy who can't put the ball in the net would be playing so much if better players were healthy or in the team.

He works hard and he's dedicated. I rate him for that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's the most embarrassing this about this thread...fans typing away at their computers in their time off from their crappy little office jobs, genuinely seem to think they know better than Jose Mouirnho.

Hilarious.

It's clear for all to see that Mouirnho rates Lingard over all of our other wide attacking players, but the lads on the computer forums know better than that old Portuguese fool. Plus, you could bet your bottom dollar that if Fergie was still our manager, Lingard would be a first-team regular.
If only Mourinho could post in this thread :)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
In two sentences you've assumed to know what managers think and said it's ignorant to assume to know what managers think.

Your post before that intimated that Jesse was better than players he is clearly not better than. He'd need 4 season to match what Martial did last year, maybe more. In a handful of games di Maria created more for us and Henrikh just simply has better numbers.

I can see that he moves well and understands space, but to act like that is creating goals for us indirectly is silly because we're hardly scoring and he's rarely a part of our scoring moves.

Some people underestimate him significantly but you've gone the opposite way.
In fairness, their selections for actual real life games support his "assumption".

Philadelphian

That's the most embarrassing this about this thread...fans typing away at their computers in their time off from their crappy little office jobs, genuinely seem to think they know better than Jose Mouirnho.

Hilarious.

It's clear for all to see that Mouirnho rates Lingard over all of our other wide attacking players, but the lads on the computer forums know better than that old Portuguese fool. Plus, you could bet your bottom dollar that if Fergie was still our manager, Lingard would be a first-team regular.
You don't understand hypocrisy. Simple as.

TheBiggest

And Park got beasted on here. Revision hit the caf and he is now a legend.

The list is long there...Fletcher/Scholes/Neviile/Neville/Evans/O'Shea...I remember when Carrick used to get bashed, Rio used to get roasted. Vidic. Evra.

The one thing I can't stand is our fans having a pop at players like Lingard. It used to boil my blood when Fletcher got so much stick.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its rather strange to question Lingard's position in the team when he isnt the source of our problems as a team. We have a clear game plan, against weak opposition we look to dominate and create. Against strong opponents we look to stifle and counter.

Our record away from home suggests that we are proficient at handling teams that come at us. Lingard is good at stifling and countering other teams because he can play on both wings and in midfield with lots of movement. He provides a better balance to the team's structure. We can definitely improve on him; but his contribution in this area is good enough that we can concentrate on other areas.

The problem is that Martial is inconsistent and Micky is garbage in the league but excellent in europe. Add to this that Mata has been injured and this has meant that Lingard is playing in situations not suited to his strengths. If Martial and Micky improve next season and we get Griezmann then Lingard will become an impact sub and rotational player. He is already a squad player.

TheBiggest

You don't understand hypocrisy. Simple as.

I am in full agreement with Mouirnho's decision to play Lingard - how am I being a hypocrit?

Do you genuinely feel you know better than Mouirnho? Are you seriously that deluded? It's getting embarrassing for you now.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Everyone has different ideas on averages. The point stands that in any game Lingard roughly plays bang in the middle of Martial's and Mkhi's inconsistent extremes.

Take Vigo, he was better than Mkhi by a long shot.
The averages on here and no he doesn't - a "good" game is occasionally marginally better than Martial , Mata or Mkhi's worst and although Mkhi didn't have a good game against Vigo nor did Lingard.
Occasionally he does have a good game , the only one recently was against Chelsea

Philadelphian

I am in full agreement with Mouirnho's decision to play Lingard - how am I being a hypocrit?

Do you genuinely feel you know better than Mouirnho? Are you seriously that deluded? It's getting embarrassing for you now.
havent said I know better. I've said he's featuring so much due to circumstance. You'd bet all your money on Mourinho rating him. I'd bet all of mine on Mourinho buying someone to play ahead of him. Which would of course line up with the assumption from myself and the majority here that he is a squad player.

Last edited:

Philadelphian

Oh, and feck off with telling other posters they have shitty office jobs.

izzydiggler

Well the 'experts' are wrong on a constant basis, including Mourinho - who himself last year made so many mistakes that ended up getting sacked after embarrassing himself with his behaviour.

He also thought Juan Mata wasn't good enough but now he's a first choice player - is this because he was wrong or desperate now, given he inherited a squad? Either way, without debate or differing opinions then what's the point of the forum or any form of punditry etc - there must be thrilling debate in your household "well he's picked the team and he knows best, so can't argue with anything"..."I agree"..."me too".

antohan

Fellaini's do as well innit.
He gets bashed when he plays, then bashed by the same people for getting suspended and not being available :houllier:

Differently from Fellaini, Lingard doesn't concede stupid penalties or leave us playing with ten, but the status is roughly the same.

I don't want a United with Fellaini as a regular, but I can appreciate where and how he can be useful.

devips

I think with some improvement and better players around him, he could be a useful 'last resort' and useful after some injuries etc but I'm interested to see why so many people feel being 6/10 every week is somehow something to be applauded in a Manchester United player.

You read so many comments and threads going on about the smallest of tactics and body language analysis etc but the simple reason we are below the top four and looking miles of a title winning team is that we have far too many 6/10 players - I'd be delighted if Lingard was replaced with a 9/10 one, regardless of anything else.
Name those 'far too many 6/10 players' and ask for their removal too. Why single out Lingard?

antohan

The averages on here and no he doesn't - a "good" game is occasionally marginally better than Martial , Mata or Mkhi's worst and although Mkhi didn't have a good game against Vigo nor did Lingard.
Occasionally he does have a good game , the only one recently was against Chelsea
Scientific. A forum packed with knee-jerkers who pile the blame on the usual suspects come what may.

Lingard didn't score against Vigo, but the number of chances he got should tell you something. Mkhi got one he was played/forced into out of no merit of his own. He was invisible.

TheBiggest

Fans trying to back their lashing of Lingard is more mortifying than their actual lashing of Lingard.

Sometimes it's embarrassing to be a United fan.

Paul the Wolf

By idiots. We've always had them, just have more post-SAF.
I've noticed you have to be an idiot not to appreciate how brilliant Lingard is, even there are so few that hold the opinion that he is.
Re Vigo match, watch between 10.00 and 10.30 on the below video of Mourinho. Maybe just dawning on him, he said it would take a year for him to assess the players

izzydiggler

Name those 'far too many 6/10 players' and ask for their removal too. Why single out Lingard?
A) Because posting in every single thread would take all night and B) There's a debate around Lingard - to post "I think Phil Jones is injury prone and should be replaced" is pointless.

And looking at your previous weeks of posts it's all in this thread (except for the match day one). Why single out out one player to defend or talk about?

Paul the Wolf

Scientific. A forum packed with knee-jerkers who pile the blame on the usual suspects come what may.

Lingard didn't score against Vigo, but the number of chances he got should tell you something. Mkhi got one he was played/forced into out of no merit of his own. He was invisible.
Oh for pity's sake, this is ridiculous, so everyone on here is against Lingard except the chosen few. Pointless discussion

Janson

The only injury in Lingard's position has been Mata and that is only recent and he's back so excuse number 789 doesn't work either
Excuses shouldn't be necessary, he just offers what some of his competition doesn't hence why Mourinho prefers him at times. Hopefully for next season we will get an upgrade so we don't need to play him as much.

antohan

I've noticed you have to be an idiot not to appreciate how brilliant Lingard is, even there are so few that hold the opinion that he is.
Re Vigo match, watch between 10.00 and 10.30 on the below video of Mourinho. Maybe just dawning on him, he said it would take a year for him to assess the players
Where exactly do I call those not appreciating Lingard idiots?

And yes, I saw that, it's a natural reaction. As said, it is to Lingard's credit he got into the positions to have those chances.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
All well and good, but romanticism doesn't get you far in the long run. He needs to buck his ideas up in front of goal, he had 3 great chances and you just can't afford to miss them at that stage, especially in an away leg.

Yes he does work very hard nobody can dispute that, but there's plenty of willing runners in football. Goals are what matter, and if you're playing as part of a front 3 you HAVE to back it up with 10-15 goals a season.

The last game was a europa league game against a middling side. A side who probably pay 1/5 if even that of the wages we do. Our attackers should be destroying them by right. We are supposed to be one of the biggest clubs in the world. Our attacking players need to do a lot better. Either through our existing players hitting form and learning to play effectively together (which can take time) or selling or benching mediocre players and getting better ones in.. His massive contract certainly hasn't helped things but he's been anonymous this season more or less.

Janson

Hilarious.

This is not something new though, even the ignorant have the right to share their opinions. It is embarassing though, I agree.

Paul the Wolf

Excuses shouldn't be necessary, he just offers what some of his competition doesn't hence why Mourinho prefers him at times. Hopefully for next season we will get an upgrade so we don't need to play him as much.
No they shouldn't but we already have the upgrades who will hopefully step up again next season and we probably will sign one or two attacking players

OL29

This thread is mental
'If you don't rate Lingard then you don't understand football'
'Lingard's been better than Di Maria, Martial and Mkhi'
'You think you know better than Mourinho'
'You don't care about our academy'
'If he was foreign you'd all rate him'

Beggars belief :houllier:

antohan

Oh for pity's sake, this is ridiculous, so everyone on here is against Lingard except the chosen few. Pointless discussion
No, just saying the difference between a 5 and a 6 is inconclusive. Some take 5 as "OK, did the job" and others use 6. Forum ratings are bound to be biased to the downside, particularly for attackers given the frustrating season we just had.

The point is 5 or 6 is irrelevant, the key issue is consistency, which the others competing for a spot with Lingard haven't shown (higher peaks, lower troughs).

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think he actually shares a lot similarities with Park, at least towards the latter years of Park's time at United.

Which is that he is played in a position that *should* be influential in creating and scoring goals, however neither really do it. Park had over 25 appearances for us in 4 consecutive seasons, yet only once contributed more than 5 goals (8 in 11/12). Never delivered more than 10 goals + Assists in a season. That was playing very much as a forward, often one of just 3. In 2 of those seasons, Nani had more than 20 goals + assists, and he was generally viewed as disappointing.

It's the belief that if you're playing as a forward winger for United, you should be contributing directly to goals. 5 odd goals+assists in a season is, frankly, terrible for that position. Even ancient, barely playing Wayne Rooney is contributing higher numbers than that.

So people can talk about the 'great positions he gets in' or his 'intelligent use of space' or his 'good combination play' til the cows come home. Football is about scoring goals. And he has shown nothing in his career to date to suggest that he's going to get us numbers.

If we want to get back to the very top, we cannot afford to have attacking players that don't score goals.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have signed, as attacking wide players in the past three years, Memphis Depay, Angel di Maria, Anthony Martial and Henrik Mkhitaryan for a combined fee of £175million and Jesse Lingard has been better than all of them. His work-rate, his discipline, his commitment, his link-up play, the identity he gives to our club (which is sorely lacking) and his contribution to important goals is valued by people who understand the sport, clearly not by the average fan on an internet forum who would much rather we threw another £60m at a problem that isn't even there.

The idea of 'get Lingard out of the team and buy some hotshot from Europe' is such a lazy football opinion that it became tiresome a generation ago...
And Jesus wept yes that's right play Jesse and stay in 5-6th place we should. Look at his skills you list (apart from link up where Jesse is not even great) that's the minimum we should expect in every one of our players.

red4ever 79

Bless we have Jessie Lingard who offers work rate and 'off the ball' movement an example why we are not good enough to compete for the title anymore.He is not alone in the blame however it is this sudden acceptance that players like Jessie Lingard are good enough for Utd.

JoaquinJoaquin

Hilarious.

Wow. You must be the most odious poster I've seen in a long time. I'd be intrigued to know what your job was, as you seem to regard yourself higher than everyone else.

You're slagging people's jobs etc but you can't even spell Mourinho right.

devips

I just don't get it. Nobody is denying Lingard is a squad player. He has several positives, but seriously lack finishing, a shortcoming he shares with his fellow United attackers. He has started a lot of games because of loss of form of a couple of players who are above him in pecking order, plus the piled up injuries. If next season those players find form, Lingard will be in the bench. But whenever he is given game, his attitude and commitment, and the way he plays apparently satisfies the manager who is known to appreciate fighters. So he keeps on getting games.

So why this hatred?

Last edited:

red4ever 79

Wow. You must be the most odious poster I've seen in a long time. I'd be intrigued to know what your job was, as you seem to regard yourself higher than everyone else.

You're slagging people's jobs etc but you can't even spell Mourinho right.
i thought the same, but the best way to deal with such cretins is not to respond at all

Robbie Boy

I just don't get it. Nobody is denying Lingard is a squad player. He has several positives, but seriously lack finishing, a shortcoming he shares with his few United attackers. He has started a lot of games because of loss of form of a couple of players who are above him in pecking order, plus the piled up injuries. If next season those players find form, Lingard will be in the bench. But whenever he is given game, his attitude and commitment, and the way he plays apparently satisfies the manager who is known to appreciate fighters. So he keeps on getting games.

So why this hatred?
No hatred. Nothing to see here.

hubbuh

Why should anyone really give a damn about the academy? I've followed Utd since 2004 and Welbeck is the only player we've produced in that time who's even top 10 quality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rashford is the only real prospect I've seen in 13 years. Other than him, when was the last time a Utd academy product became a mainstay for England? Or even a regular in our team.

The days of relying on the academy are over. It's not feasible if we want to be competitive. Lingard is nowhere near the required standard, neither was Gibson, Wilson, Cleverly, Eagles, Richardson etc. There needs to be some serious investment in the academy for it to become important again.
This is despite the fact he's been regularly chosen over Mkhi and Martial by Mourinho. He obviously doesn't have the level of talent either of those two possess yet I'd wager he's played more than both this season. Academy players provide something which managers obviously value. Players like Lingard are extremely useful squad players. And as long as he continues to fulfil the role that the likes of Martial can't then he should continue to be picked.

Fwiw Evans, Pique, Pogba, Michael Keane, Welbeck, Lingard and Rashford have all proven to be fairly decent footballers.

Z_Wolf

The amount stick he's getting after the Celta game, you would think he's scored an own goal.

He'll get to start less games once we bring in better players in his position. I'd rather him than someone that blows hot and cold like Martial anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.