5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

welshwingwizard

I am really baffled that we gave him a new contract worth 100+ a week.
Such an average player.
Don't want to comment on salary as we don't know anything bar rumours and salaries in football are crazy anyway.

However for me he is a good squad player and has earned his place in the squad.

Yesterday when he came on we finally picked up and he always seem to have that effect imo because he makes runs, pulls defenders out of place and links well with our other attackers. Sometimes it's hard to see his impact which I guess is why he gets so much criticism but I do think he creates space better than most.

His other problem is our squad depth. If we had world class players in our first 11 then a number of other standout players then a couple squad players like him then I reckon people would love him especially being home grown.

Unfortunately people are judging him as a first team player which he isn't, I doubt Jose thinks he is, or even he thinks he is. Hell happily stay on bench until needed and so job and all squads need this type. The trick is don't chuck him out but bring in better players to have in first team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
100k will soon be the new average I guess.

He's a lot better off the ball than on it.
And as I've mentioned before, it's a figure that will turn the heads of key players at rival clubs which is why I think it was leaked. If better players in more important roles at the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool start seeking parity, it's going to test their wage structure and make it a lot harder for them to keep their team together and and more quality in the summer.

ManuMou

On the surface, based on his recent run of bad games (bad finishing, bad decision @ final passing, bad link up play, cant even keep the ball, etc), majority here, including me, wouldn't like to see him on the starting line up anymore. However, Lingard has started most of the games recently, in a "busy and decisive" April, surprised me again and again. IMO everytime he showed up on the starting line up, I was so disappointed. (Well so I am Lingard hater, but but.....)

Well, that's partly due to injury (ie playing the position of Mata @ Right Wing). On second thought, Mou seems to "know" something. He is not "dumb", he knows Lingard's "bad run" more than any of us.

Lingard's overall, individual ability makes him like a, non-Man Utd-quality starter, but a "mid-table" starter. In my view, his best asset to Mou is his combination of pace + work rate. That is very, very valuable for a tactician like Mou.

Just compare Lingard to Park Ji Sung under SAF. One could argue that Park's overall ability is also "mid-table". However, he had been SAF's one of main starters in 2007-2008 CL team (except Final vs Chelsea) due mainly to his work rate to free up Ronaldo.

It seems to me that Mou like these kind of players, for one of his favourite tactics: defensive + pressure + discipline + counter. Remember that Eto @ Inter when they won a Treble in 09/10, at times, Eto was playing like a "right-back" on a supposedly right-winger position @ 4-2-3-1 formation. I still rmb those days when the media criticizing Mou for playing strikers as defenders.

In 2010, Mou: “It’s not important how we play. If you have a Ferrari and I have a small car, to beat you in a race I have to break your wheel or put sugar in your tank.”

But that's how he beat "ferrari" Barcelona using "small car" Inter. Similarly, MU is not his dream team his season, so he needs tactic to win, and Lingard can be a critical part of it.

Lingard can also be used here, similarly in terms of his work rate, but differently in terms of his pace. That, his pace, can be used for effective counter-attacking (better than Park/Eto), which Mou has been using it in recent games like 2-0 Chelsea. But, he has let Mou down, due mainly to his finishing. Has he able to scored just a couple of those chances, like just one of those in Swansea, that could be a 3 points. And that's another story.

Also, its not easy to find a player with both work rate + pace.

The big picture is, Mou likes him, for both his work rate + pace. Individually, he is not that good. Football is a team game, coupled with Mou's tactic, all in all, I would say, Lingard is still an important asset to us, at least for Mou, at least for the nxt season.

Cocoa alone tastes just okay, but after you mix it with sugar, it tastes great !!

To me, Chelsea 2-0 is a perfect example of how Mou used him "behind the scene", under-rated, team-player, in that game.

(Not a Fellaini thread here, but to mention that, similarly, altho Fellaini is also like "mid-table" starter, his combination of height + physical strength is also being used by Mou lately)

Last edited:

Stringer

Nothing player. Might as well not have been on the field in the first half.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's going to start the final if we reach it as well isn't he :(

JoaquinJoaquin

This has been an ok half from him to be fair. He is still not good enough though overall. If we are still under the cosh in 10-15 minutes time I'd bring Mata on.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Very, very good movement and good work ethic.
Oh yes sorry I forgot and he's a local lad!!

As for his movement it's been dire in that first half on a number of occasions he looked like he was hiding from the ball.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lol I was wondering why this thread was active... Posters having a pointless moan? Check...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh yes sorry I forgot and he's a local lad!!

As for his movement it's been dire in that first half on a number of occasions he looked like he was hiding from the ball.
He's nothing special but the criticism he receives is over the top at times. He has a great ability to find space where more talented players cant.

Shamshi

His off the ball movement is absolutely breathtaking. He also works very hard, probably more than our whole team combined. He's a local lad as well! If you watch closely Fellaini's goal was due to Lingards footballing intelligence. He will definitely be a starter for us next season. He is still young and new to top flight football, we are watching greatness here.

Am I doing it right fanboys?

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's nothing special but the criticism he receives is over the top at times. He has a great ability to find space where more talented players cant.
Yes I agree, he's no world beater but is a decent option for us and the bashing he gets on here is ridiculous.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Looks so short on quality when you watch him play 24 hours after some of those playin in the Madrid CL semi. His touch, passing, dribbling ability and end product is just not good enough.

If we're playing in the Champions League next year he can't possibly be a starter if we want to do anything in that competition. He's not the only one though, atleast 4-5 others playing tonight also.

Rossa

The thing is, our right side is awful when he plays. It is so noticeable how Valencia holds back because of Lingard's position, or lack of, bot in attack and in defense.

Smudge

He has no drive.

The best he can offer is let the ball roll and then make a little run through the middle.

Then he disappears and offers no width for a wide player

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Truly abysmal.

I don't get the people saying that Lingard can "do a job" and is an "intelligent player." He's a mid table player and as long as we indulge players like him, we'll stay in midtable.

Bwuk

Poor. For all this talk of good movement, he comes towards the ball when he should be running in behind.

Far too often Mkhi had the ball and tried to find either him or Rashford but they wanted the ball to feet rather than make the run in behind.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People who say he's not good enough are labelled haters. I like Jesse, but he just isn't good enough right now. I was delighted to see him finally debut last year but, bar a few incredible goals, has been disappointing since.

I'm fine with him staying because he has shown glimpses, but I think if he was sold it'd be fine, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.