5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscie

Nothing player. Can't describe him better than that. The thing is that he'll occasionally play okayish or once in a blue moon score. Instantly that justifies all his absolute irrelevant to garbage performances to his apologists and we're back at square one again.

Lingard is a great player if your terms of reference for that is anyone who ever has scored a goal or who might score a goal in the future is great.

JoaquinJoaquin

I said it months ago and I'll say it again now. If he is starting games next season forget the Top 4.

wr8_utd

:'(
Looks like being a local kid and running a lot has become enough to play for United off late. First Welbeck and now another piece of abject mediocrity. One of the worst players I've watched play for us.

Devil may care

Just lacking in the quality required, running around a lot should not be enough to get in ahead of Mata and Martial.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nothing player. Can't describe him better than that. The thing is that he'll occasionally play okayish or once in a blue moon score. Instantly that justifies all his absolute irrelevant to garbage performances to his apologists and we're back at square one again.
This is it for me. He's not a bad player, but he doesn't offer enough, or anything really, most of the time. We have too many players like that.

Bojan11

Looks like being a local kid and running a lot has become enough to play for United off late. First Welbeck and now another piece of abject mediocrity. One of the worst players I've watched play for us.
Welbeck atleast did something. But he would just fall over before shooting.

Both ain't good enough.

Ixion

Worrying how many games he's started since getting that contract, and he's barely done anything of note since then.

Roberto420

If Mata is fit he has to play hes our most creative player I just dont see what lingard offers the team other than being bullied off the ball and the odd run down the channels which he doesn't do enough to warrant a starting spot imo.

stevoc

His workrate doesn't come close to making up for the fact he offers us virtually nothing in an attacking sense. He wasn't even that great in tracking back tonight if truth be told, i could be wrong but it also seems like Valencia is more reluctant to get forward when Lingard is in front of him.

Robbie Boy

His workrate doesn't come close to making up for the fact he offers us virtually nothing in an attacking sense. He wasn't even that great in tracking back tonight if truth be told, i could be wrong but it also seems like Valencia is more reluctant to get forward when Lingard is in front of him.
His tracking back was woeful tonight.

SamVimes

He was poor tonight. I would play Myki on the right and Martial on the left. Pace, pace, pace.

stevoc

His tracking back was woeful tonight.
Yeah was the same against Swansea i thought, he's looking tired. I can see what Lingard does well, but i don't think it's enough to warrant so many starts in a row.

When we start with him at RW especially at home we are basically accepting that our attacking threat on that side will be limp to non existent.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've generally defended him, but I must say, I think he plays too much. His detractors are usually rebuffed with 'but he's an excellent squad player', but it's as if he starts almost every game. If that is to be the case, he should be judged like such a player, and he has nowhere near enough quality to be starting with the frequency that he does in my opinion. Just simply not talented enough a footballer.

Mister_Stubbs

Average again, still isn't justifying he's place in the first team let alone he's 100k a week contract.

Litch

So frustrating and I don't know why. I think he's just not got any likeability.....

edcunited1878

I've generally defended him, but I must say, I think he plays too much. His detractors are usually rebuffed with 'but he's an excellent squad player', but it's as if he starts almost every game. If that is to be the case, he should be judged like such a player, and he has nowhere near enough quality to be starting with the frequency that he does in my opinion. Just simply not talented enough a footballer.
Lingard suits Mourinho's game plan better than Martial. While many agree he's not talented enough to start consistently, because he isn't, Martial isn't consistent enough in anything to consistently start over Lingard.

So while we aren't seeing the goals and assists, he's clearly doing something right to start over Martial and Mata.

bri2013

This is my last post in this thread, had enough , week after week after week, a complete waste of space, sick of us playing with a passenger running around like a headless chicken.
Don't be too hard on yourself mate! :D

Djemba-Djemba

Lingard suits Mourinho's game plan better than Martial. While many agree he's not talented enough to start consistently, because he isn't, Martial isn't consistent enough in anything to consistently start over Lingard.

So while we aren't seeing the goals and assists, he's clearly doing something right to start over Martial and Mata.
But what does he do?

What is it that Lingard provides that makes him worthy of starting so regularly? All I hear is that he works hard, is that really enough?

edcunited1878

But what does he do?

What is it that Lingard provides that makes him worthy of starting so regularly? All I hear is that he works hard, is that really enough?
His defensive discipline/support from the forward line, intelligence off the ball and threat of pace on the counter is collectively better than Mata and Martial. Technically/ability wise he is far less than Mata and Martial.

Djemba-Djemba

His defensive discipline/support from the forward line, intelligence off the ball and threat of pace on the counter is collectively better than Mata and Martial. Technically/ability wise he is far less than Mata and Martial.
I think Martial has been poor this season but there is no reason Lingard should be starting games over a fully fit Mata.

Mata is so much the better player.

stevoc

II'm not so sure thats the case Mata started way more games ahead of him until his injury last month. Pretty sure until this recent run in the team Martial had started more games than Lingard also.

eggwithsideburns

Whilst watching him today I tried to look for positives, he did do a few decent passes and chased down players but at end the of the day that is all you are going to get from him. It is nowhere near enough. He is starting nearly every game but he never has a direct input in any of our goals, yes we don't score enough in general but he is a big part of that problem. It seems glaringly obvious to me that his first team spot needs upgrading.

Last edited:

luke511

90% of the time our attack suffers when he's a part of it, but yeah good movement and that!

TehRed

He's fast, he's got good movement, he's a local lad, but he just doesn't have enough end product. At all. By far. He's a useful substitute for stretching an opponent's defence towards the end of the game, and for use in squad rotation for early round cup games etc, but other than that i'm hoping that Jose makes the kind of signings in the summer that will keep Lingard away from starting too many of the big games. In big games, you want big players, and end results. Lingard hasn't really offered that often enough.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

He's not a kid anymore, play like crap and he should be dropped. If Mata's fit, he's playing in the finals.

MadMike

Mata has to start the final ahead of him. Even when having a bad game Mata displays far better ball retention, more accurate passing and more intelligent movement. Lingard is getting praise for harassing a couple of defenders with his running, while the rest of the team is sitting deep. Totally pointless as we don't press as a team and his chasing leads to absolutely nothing.

Play Lingard against Tottenham at the weekend then give Mata a full game against Soton and keep him fresh for the final.

stevoc

Depends on what type of game Mourinho wants. Creative - then it's Mata, workrate - then it's Lingard.
For a team that has serious problems scoring goals and putting games to bed. You would imagine creativity should always be preferred.

Djemba-Djemba

Surely even those on here that love Lingard and genuinely rate him, even they can admit that the Chelsea game aside he's not played well in weeks and weeks.

His end product isn't great at the best of times but recently he's offering nothing creatively at all.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Lingard is the epitome of mediocrity, and he doesn't even 'work hard' enough to convince you why he's in the side regularly. Welbeck, for all of his flaws in front of goal, definitely made an identifiable impact, be it occupying defenders centrally or running the channels. He was/is very Heskey-like in that awkward sense, and is more appreciated by his teammates and coaches for the space and opportunity he creates for others.

Jesse just doesn't offer that same presence, so therefore does little to justify his inclusion; hes absolutely stealing £100,000 a week, and it does make you wonder if his vocation as Pogba's gimp gives him more privileges at the club than his ability warrants.....

drdoityourself

He's played 39 games this season and was a starter after ousting Depay in early last season. He's amassed quite many appearances but doesn't seem any better than when he first broke through. 39 games is very high for a player of his quality, especially when we play 4-3-3 and he's a part of that front three. Doesn't create, score or threaten nearly enough for me.

Looking at the attacking qualities most posters here see in him, movement and pace; His movement flatters to deceive, he often congests space by running inwards too early, sometimes he's nowhere to be found when we need an outlet on the right. His movement is sometimes good but nowhere near as good as some make it out to be.
Notice that Mkhitaryan's form has dropped off a cliff after he and Lingard have been playing together. The chemistry between them isn't there, they both need the same pockets on the pitch, and I know who I'd pick if I had to choose one over the other.

He's quick closing down on players, I'll give him that but his oft mentioned pace is almost never a part of his wing play. He doesn't use it to move past players, and when he tries he's easily caught and outmuscled.

I just don't see it, how he can continually offer so little and end two seasons now in a row as a starter in a forward position for Manchester United.

NoPace

Ajax seem to create their chances primarily through quick, direct play, so I don't think we should start Lingard, who lacks the strength and other qualities needed to keep the ball. He reminds me a bit of Ashley Young in that sense, who really struggled to hold up the ball in most situations. Neither guy is very big and while most guys their size/shape seem to have quick enough feet (Mkhitaryan) or a great sense of what is going on around them and where their teammates are (Mata) and compensate, they just don't.

I'd play Mata on the right or Rashford there and let Martial run around up top. Ajax will have most of the ball anyways and we'll be trying to slow them down and make them play through us rather than just counter quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.