5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

He was poor tonight. I would play Myki on the right and Martial on the left. Pace, pace, pace.
Or Mkhitaryan on the left, Rashford on the right and Martial up top. Rashford wasn't great at holding the ball up and Mourinho seems to trust him more defensively than Martial, and as we saw today, Rashford can cross a ball.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said it before outside of knowing how to get Pogba hard.. he offers feck all.

Robbie Boy

He's been utterly dreadful for a while now. I mean, he's offering absolutely nothing and yet he keeps getting picked.

lsd

The Oracle
It's written in the stars for him ..Fellaini always scores in semis ..Jesse always scores in finals

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is a squad player at best. I appreciate he does try hard all the time, but trying isn't enough. When he has the ball at his feet he is brainless, can't take his man on or work a shooting position.

There was a chance last night 1v1 against the defender where there was huge space down the outside of the box to run and shoot. Instead he tried to cut back inside where he had 2 players blocking him, then wound up with the biggest swing you'll ever see and just kicked it straight at the defender :lol: I mean it just isn't good enough. Most players would drive into the box and get a shot away on the left.

I guess with Mata being unfit and Martial out of favour we have very little option, but we HAVE to think about getting a proper winger next year. It's almost becoming the new "we need a CM" under fergie.

Oscie

Both Rashford and Mkhitaryan provide pace and with much better control and effectiveness. Lingard looks like a mascot. In fact I'm not sure that he didn't walk onto the pitch one day a couple of years ago holding Rooney's hand and just stayed on and everyone forgot and eventually just assumed he was part of the team.

And I'm sorry but his age IS a factor. Yes people mature differently, very occasionally you get players who don't come into their own until their late 20s. But they're not the rule they're the exception. Otherwise we'd have a team full of bang-average players in their mid 20s arguing: "Who knows? They might get better and mature"

It can't work like that.

The lack of expectation also kills me. You see more pressure on the nursery school performance of the nativity scene at the Christmas play than you do on Lingard's performances. I'm not convinced that if halfway through the game Lingard burst into tears and sat on someone's lap in the crowd for 90 minutes hugging one of the donkeys from the manger scene that people wouldn't declare that he was "decent".

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Good work rate alone should not be enough to warrant so much game-time for a supposed elite team. We had better upgrade hard next season and he can take his role as a reliable, decent squad player.

stevoc

He is a squad player at best. I appreciate he does try hard all the time, but trying isn't enough. When he has the ball at his feet he is brainless, can't take his man on or work a shooting position.

There was a chance last night 1v1 against the defender where there was huge space down the outside of the box to run and shoot. Instead he tried to cut back inside where he had 2 players blocking him, then wound up with the biggest swing you'll ever see and just kicked it straight at the defender :lol: I mean it just isn't good enough. Most players would drive into the box and get a shot away on the left.

I guess with Mata being unfit and Martial out of favour we have very little option, but we HAVE to think about getting a proper winger next year. It's almost becoming the new "we need a CM" under fergie.
Definitely we need some better wide options, all our current 'wingers' are not even wingers and are better in other positions. Mata, Mkhy and to a lesser extent Lingard are all better centrally, Rashford and Martial are strikers.

Sadly i get the impression Jose doesn't place too much emphasis on creativity from wide areas.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely we need some better wide options, all our current 'wingers' are not even wingers and are better in other positions. Mata, Mkhy and to a lesser extent Lingard are all better centrally, Rashford and Martial are strikers.

Sadly i get the impression Jose doesn't place too much emphasis on creativity from wide areas.
Yeah, I get Jose's game plan of packing the middle with quick little passes and using the fullbacks as the width, but that only works in ideal circumstances.

Last night where Valencia had to stay back to mark Sisto and Lingard kept cutting inside we had nobody on the right flank at all. We have players dribbling into the middle of the pitch and getting crowded out with nobody to pass too.

I dont mind 1 inside forward/playmaker but you can't really play 2 of them unless they are good on both feet and can score/dribble well. Ribery/Robben were probably the best example of that but they also had that threat to go outside also.

stevoc

Yeah, I get Jose's game plan of packing the middle with quick little passes and using the fullbacks as the width, but that only works in ideal circumstances.

Last night where Valencia had to stay back to mark Sisto and Lingard kept cutting inside we had nobody on the right flank at all. We have players dribbling into the middle of the pitch and getting crowded out with nobody to pass too.

I dont mind 1 inside forward/playmaker but you can't really play 2 of them unless they are good on both feet and can score/dribble well. Ribery/Robben were probably the best example of that but they also had that threat to go outside also.
Yeah and that definitely won't work when Darmian is one of your fullbacks and Valencia is told to either sit back or doesn't trust Lingard enough to overlap him much.

Jig1234

This guy drops 2/10 performances and still gets matches. Our football is absolutely dog. Mourinho preferring players like Lingard and co over Martial or Mata is partly the reason. He doesn't do anything. I hope Mata / Martial can make their case to start in the final with the remaining PL games.

It's as if that 100k contract made him worse.

stevoc

This guy drops 2/10 performances and still gets matches. Our football is absolutely dog. Mourinho preferring players like Lingard and co over Martial or Mata is partly the reason. He doesn't do anything. I hope Mata / Martial can make their case to start in the final with the remaining PL games.

It's as if that 100k contract made him worse.
No i don't think he's got worse, just coincidence that after signing his contract he has played much more regularly. And so you then notice his limitations more.

Jig1234

No i don't think he's got worse, just coincidence that after signing his contract he has played much more regularly. And so you then notice his limitations more.
You're probably right about that part about not being worse. I still don't understand what Mourinho sees in him. Martial/Mata have twice the ability he is and they are more capable scoring.

All Lingard does comes inside too much making everything narrow.

AndyJ1985

The decent squad player argument doesn't really cut it anymore, because right now he's a bloody shite first team player.

stevoc

You're probably right about that part about not being worse. I still don't understand what Mourinho sees in him. Martial/Mata have twice the ability he is and they are more capable scoring.

All Lingard does comes inside too much making everything narrow.
Me neither mate, maybe Mourinho is just trying to be extra careful defensively and maybe sees Lingard as a better option from that perspective. I would prefer Martial or Mata personally as well.

DanClancy

He was poor last night, the game completely passed him by. I can barely remember him on the ball.

He simply has to start scoring more goals, 5 goals given his game time this season is nothing short of pathetic. Looking at his goal in the league cup final it was a composed finish but all too often this season he's lacked it at the important time. I do think he's better when played centrally and it doesn't help when our midfield 3 are Herrera, Pogba & Fellaini, doesn't help Mkhitaryan either.

iHicksy

Giving average players like him 100k a week contracts is how we ended up with a load of average first teamers in the first place, which then become harder to sell. If he wasn't an academy product he wouldn't get half as much leeway for his awful performances. Seriously, if he was spanish or italian would the cafe still say he merits a place in the first team?

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

Agreed. Signing a quality winger should be one of our main priorities this summer. There's no point in signing a player like James Rodriguez when we need a different type of player, even though we lack creativity as well.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Playing devils advocate, but he works a lot more defensively than Martial or Mata.

Except we're Man Utd not WBA or stoke.

We should be an attacking, exciting team and lingard offers next to nothing offensively, I want my attacking players to actually attack not defend Mourinho wants attacking players to spend more time in their own hair it seems.

Pace Abuser

This is my last post in this thread, had enough , week after week after week, a complete waste of space, sick of us playing with a passenger running around like a headless chicken.
I agree with everything you've said about Lingard and echo your opinion. Inevitably labelled a "hater". Lingard is worse when you watch him live, you noticeably see him hiding from the ball and getting in everyone's way.
Awful footballer (but he's local.)

izzydiggler

I think there's an element of 'the emperor's new clothes' with Lingard's work rate.

I constantly read it on here as if he's everywhere on the pitch, tirelessly running around for 90 minutes like some maniac but I don't see anything close to that.

I'm not saying he's lazy or anything but I think without any solid evidence of genuine 'top class' ability, it's a desperate attempt to cite an intangible and if you don't agree it's because you know nothing about the game etc.

Even of I'm completely wrong, there's still the misguided notion that working hard should be enough - it's not even the minimum I'd want in a player but a prerequisite for any athlete or even Sunday League football.

Yet again, I don't hate Lingard and think he could be a decent squad player when the squad has better players to take some his starts/burden but he'll never be a 'top player' - which is fine but I'm sick of the implication that not being lazy is somehow a something that should be applauded.

Frank Grimes

His technical limitations are so apparent at times, fails to complete the simplest of passes. Expect to see him start in easier cup games next season but rarely start in the League or CL, if we get there.

Robbie Boy

Where's the stats to back up Lingard working harder than others? I've asked before but no one can see to statistically prove anything. I mean, he looked like he was doing feck all last night. Is it just a trodden Caf cliche at this point?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Where's the stats to back up Lingard working harder than others? I've asked before but no one can see to statistically prove anything. I mean, he looked like he was doing feck all last night. Is it just a trodden Caf cliche at this point?
Why do you think Mourinho uses him? I mean its ok to disagree with him but surely the best modern manager knows something and uses a player because he has a purpose. For example i dont rate Fellaini at all but i can see why would Jose use him and what Fella can offer to the team.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Robbie where are all the Lingard fanbois now? He's the definition of stone average.

Robbie Boy

Why do you think Mourinho uses him? I mean its ok to disagree with him but surely the best modern manager knows something and uses a player because he has a purpose. For example i dont rate Fellaini at all but i can see why would Jose use him and what Fella can offer to the team.
I'm genuinely curious to see the stats that prove how much harder he works than everyone else? I'm crap at finding stuff like that but I would genuinely like a statto to get some stats on him compared to others.

I can see why he starts in some games - I'm not saying I agree - but I see why. It's also clear he gets far more leeway than the likes of Martial and Mkhitaryan and gets picked consistently after poor performances. I'm pretty sure all of Mata, Martial and Mkhitaryan have more goals and assists than him this season despite all three receiving a-lot of criticism on here.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I'm genuinely curious to see the st
ats that prove how much harder he works than everyone else? I'm crap at finding stuff like that but I would genuinely like a statto to get some stats on him compared to others.

I can see why he starts in some games - I'm not saying I agree - but I see why. It's also clear he gets far more leeway than the likes of Martial and Mkhitaryan and gets picked consistently after poor performances. I'm pretty sure all of Mata, Martial and Mkhitaryan have more goals and assists than him this season despite all three receiving a-lot of criticism on here.
Im asking because in my opinion his defensive game/work rate is one of the main reasons he starts so if you dont buy his workrate im genuinely curios to see the reasoning from your perspective :)
Dont think you can find stats for that, the only stat that could help a bit is distance covered but even that doesnt tell you the full story as that covers the whole running and not just defensive one.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Lingard is the definition of average, but I think Jose sees him as a key player and not only for the current season.

Seeing that we're linked with a move for James Rodriguez and a few strikers, I can't see us signing a winger this summer, which wouldn't be a good idea.

Left-back, midfielder, James, striker and possibly a centre-back. Can't see us doing anything else this summer as Woody and Mourinho both said the squad doesn't need major changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.