5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTrevil

Please don't just don't (use a Messi comparison when talking about Lingard). We have much better players than Lingard he's a decent squad player at best for us. Played well the other night though.
I don't know what you're on about, I clearly wasn't making a comparison there.

OldTrevil

But then again, Lingard doesnt have the upside a Messi has.
He is not consistent enough to be a star player or start every game. Too often, he's anonymous and barely into the game making things happen. And that for me is the issue, the gap is just too big and you never know which Jesse you pick before a game
Looks like you're missing what I said. I was pointing out how absurd it is to use a player's worst game as a knock, all players have howlers. Nobody has claimed he is world class, and thinking along those lines because I mentioned a obvious fact is ridiculous. Apart from that City game, Lingard has played well most of the time he was on the pitch. He's not often anonymous, he often injects urgency and increases tempo of attacks and is a catalyst in many of our good moves. He also rarely looses the ball, constantly presses and covers, and he has proved his quality on the ball a number of times. Pogba second goal is a great example, the quality to trap that ball on a turn behind him and then provide a perfect ball to set it up is far from average.

Litch

So each of them has a weakness. So do almost all players. Blind isn't an especially attacking fullback but as a result of that he's more defensively solid than the vast majority the league, and meanwhile he almost serves as a bonus midfielder because of his passing, intelligence and composure. Smalling isn't the best on the ball but he makes up for it with his cool head, physical dominance, excellent judgement and timing, and leadership at the back. Herrera isn't a DM, true, but I don't see how that's a criticism of him as a player...

The 'would I be frightened if we were playing against those players' is really a measure of attackers, and none of the three players in question are attackers, so that makes very little sense.

But yeah, all you've done is picked out each player's weakness, which I can do for any player in the whole league. The point is that those three have strengths that outweigh those weaknesses to the extent that, as I've said, they could get into any team in the league. Look at City, the favourites for the title. No sensible person wouldn't swap Smalling for any of their CBs, Blind for Kolarov (or, again, most of their CBs) or Herrera for Fernandinho or even Gundogan, who has been pretty average so far this season.
And again that's not my point. You're highlighting the other strengths of the players which I kind of understand otherwise they wouldn't be here if the didn't have some qualities. Lingard has got qualities as do the others and the potential is there but my bar is set high as maybe in the past when the league was less competitive that might have been enough but have a look around you without bias, and we currently on par with some teams and below others. I'll nail my colours to the mast and say we aren't going to win the league with those players in our starting 11 as good players at Utd to me means squad, and exceptional players to me should mean starters. I accept doesn't have to be 1-11 but we simply don't have enough of them. If it's good enough for Bayern, Barca and Real, why shouldn't it be for Utd, as it use to be, and should be.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
This guy, seriously Mkhi missed out cause this guy is in the team. feck my life. Average Man Utd.

AndyJ1985

This lad is rubbish. He runs around a lot and tries hard - fair play to him for trying hard, what a guy - but when he's on the ball he's utter turd. Lacks creativity, not good at passing, can't beat a man, constantly makes the wrong decision.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should be playing for Chesterfield. Saying that even they might have a better wide player.

Bojan11

Sums him up that he was laughing and joking waving to the crowd during the warm up before a big game.

One of the spineless players in our squad.

An Irish Red

Can't really pass the ball well nor beat players with skill or pace, which are pretty big flaws for a winger like. Plus, he's in his mid-twenties so this is just about as good as he's likely to get.

We seem to always want to carry mediocrity though so he's as safe as can be. Especially when he gets 'silent domination-esque' praise for every little thing he does.

stevoc

The likes of Fellaini and Lingard can put in good performances, they are hard workers, capable of following instructions and making an impact at times but we should only ever play 1 of them, especially in big games.

They are good squad players to have yes but when they are your go to guys for big games and you are playing 2-3 of them. It's no surprise we keep losing and drawing against the better sides this season. Between those two, Blind, Rojo and even Zlatan they were all very poor today.

Lawman

Sums him up that he was laughing and joking waving to the crowd during the warm up before a big game.

One of the spineless players in our squad.
Agree he's stone average and I can accept that but not before Martial and Mata.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
He has occasionally a fair to decent game and very occasionally good moments in some games, but is so inconsistent.
Wingers are supposed to dribble past players and put crosses in. How often does he do this, if ever
Most of the time he plays , one's trying to find where he is on the pitch.

There were players who had even worse games than him today but he should not be a starter for us.
Don't care if he was born in the Stretford End and has been with the club since the age of 3 months - he is not good enough

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Horrendous player. No idea how he starts for you lot, he's Sunderland/Bournemouth level.

Dobbs

Never a winger. He should be competing for one of the advanced midfielder spots. All his good stuff comes centrally.

Just another player in the wrong position unfortunately.

AndyJ1985

Never a winger. He should be competing for one of the advanced midfielder spots. All his good stuff comes centrally.

That's always the answer on here; move player X to another position and hope for the best.

Dobbs

That's always the answer on here; move player X to another position and hope for the best.
Nah that's not the case. He's not good enough to start wherever he plays but he's still not a winger.

Do you think he is a winger?

donkeyfish

I'd say he is a "half-zone" player, like an inside winger. He looks best when he starts out wide and runs in or ahead. Not impressed with him centrally with his back towards the goal.

In general, he is a puzzling player though. Looked like he could handle the big occasions well last season, but this one he's been poor and poor against City and Chelsea.

He also miss a lot of chances like todays rebound, but suddenly look like a great finisher - like todays long-shot, which was well taken. Very up and down, even within the limit of a single game.

Robbie Boy

Horrendous player. No idea how he starts for you lot, he's Sunderland/Bournemouth level.
He's hardly 'horrendous' but yeah, he's definitely a player that oppo fans will think is utter shite and I can understand that. My brother, who is an Arsenal fan, think's he's horrendous, too.

He has his uses as a squad player and if / when we get our act together, he will be handy to have in the squad. He should never in a million years be a guaranteed starter, though.

Lawman

Agree a bit inside me dies when I hear he is starting over Martial Mata Rashford Myktarin even Depay or Young I would much rather see in the team. He is the new Tom Cleverly a player we'd all love to do well but really is just average. He'll get in England squads at united but if he moves on he will follow Gibson, Cleverley career level.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
One of the most inconsistent players ever. Looks class one game, the very next he looks shit.

Though it has to be said that all our attackers have looked poor lately, and it has to be something to do with tactics and how we are set up in attack. Zlatan looks isolated up front and Rashford/Lingaard looks isolated on the edge.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Lingard is weak, not particularly quick and his final ball is more often than not underwhelming. He is a decent finisher, though, which has led to a few hallmark moments that buy him more time than he deserves. He's not United standard, and is nowhere near that quality of someone like PJS, who a lot of people try and compare him to.

Ixion

I don't mind Lingard, he's a decent player who can be useful in the squad. I had Martial pegged for starting though, I'm not sure I'd go with Lingard in such a huge away game.

Robbie Boy

Agree a bit inside me dies when I hear he is starting over Martial Mata Rashford Myktarin even Depay or Young I would much rather see in the team. He is the new Tom Cleverly a player we'd all love to do well but really is just average. He'll get in England squads at united but if he moves on he will follow Gibson, Cleverley career level.
Agree with that. If he where to move, it would definitely be to a lower club but no way he would even get an Everton level club. He would never get near the England team if he were at a lower PL team but that's how the England squads are usually selected, though. He only gets near the national team because of who he plays for as opposed to how good he actually is. I personally think Matt Ritchie (for example) is a better player and he is now playing in the Championship (albeit he won't be for long).

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I really want our own to do well, but Lingard is just the typical United talent of the last 20 years, average at best. He's nowhere near the level of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc. and he simply shouldn't be a starter for us, not matter how hard working he is, and how well he might move without the ball, which is a good feature surely, but you also need to be good when you actually have the ball. I can't blame him for playing though obviously since it's Mourinho who's picking him.

devips

I somehow didn't feel Lingard was particularly bad yesterday. That one shot, had it come off, would have been a spectacular goal. But he kept trying. What about Zlatan and Rashford, the other two attackers?

Classical Mechanic

I think he has some talent, more than Clev, it is just that his bottom level is low and he shows it too often.

Lawman

I somehow didn't feel Lingard was particularly bad yesterday. That one shot, had it come off, would have been a spectacular goal. But he kept trying. What about Zlatan and Rashford, the other two attackers?
But that's Lingard to a T. He's not bad but doesn't do anything on a consistent enough basis to warrant starting over Martial Mata Rashford Young Depay Mykytarin.

Robbie Boy

Pop over to their threads if you fancy. This is the Lingard 'performance' thread. Anyhow, he's not exactly getting slated, is he?[/QUOTE]

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is just not good enough to start big games. He's a squad player at best, always has been. The overhyping was a joke

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think he's complete crap, but he is a very limited player, and ultimately should be no more then a limited squad rotation player ala Ashley Young.

You can probably imagine the best thing he is capable of doing in a game.... where as someone like Martial is capable of doing more then what you'd expect... I'm not sure that makes sense, but it does in my head.

Shamshi

This lad is rubbish. He runs around a lot and tries hard - fair play to him for trying hard, what a guy - but when he's on the ball he's utter turd. Lacks creativity, not good at passing, can't beat a man, constantly makes the wrong decision.
So much this.

Status
Not open for further replies.