Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

Just seems unnecessary, that's all.

He's not at the end of his career though is he?
The poster I quoted mentioned Nani coming on when we need a goal in the dying minutes of a match, and it just so happens that Lingard has delivered just that.
He's had moments undeniably, but on the whole using Nani as the example as that who was brought up, I feel he would produce for us on a more consistent basis. To the point where, when needed, he became a first team player and our player of the season, I can honestly say I'd bet my house lingard won't achieve that.

Before any jumps on that and says "not every player needs to be play of the year" I agree, lingard is a squad player, that is his level.

This all started because I got tagged in a post and it's gotten out of hand

SirScholes

It's almost as though everyone does convey to your own particular definition of what quality is! Shocking that.
Great post, really moved the debate forward.
Seems as tho I have a higher expectation of what I want from a united player.
Just being a high energy player isn't enough for me to call someone quality, that's not to say I think they're bad.
P.Neville wasn't quality, he was an average footballer with limited passing, he made up for this by working hard for the team, lingard fits this mould.
He's had some great moments, as all footballers have, but the "quality" ones do it on a consistent basis and that's where lingard (for me at least) needs to improve.

Last edited:

SirScholes

He was here 7 seasons. The fact he won POTY once doesn't prove he wasn't inconsistent. It just proves he had a good season. Lingard's never winning player of the year. Equally he's never putting in two consecutive performances that differ as dramatically as any two of Nani's were capable of.
actually my biggest issue with lingard is that he has more poor games than man of the match games, so yes he will go from one extreme to the other.
Nani was here 7 seasons, he was also just 20 or 21 when he first came? And spent most his time in Ronnies shadow, when he was moved to the first team he was class, seem to remember him picking up some bad injuries afterwards

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I wasn't comparing him with Lingard. But if I was I'd say Lingard isn't capable of reaching Nani's heights but equally his performance levels don't fluctuate as violently as Nani's did. Lingard can have poor games and look invisible but he rarely looks f****** awful, as Nani was equally as capable of as he was being brilliant.

I'd have Lingard in the side over Nani on the basis that his performance level is more dependable. Peaks are lower, troughs shallower.
Lingard has looked awful on numerous occasions, often anonymous, occasionally good and never even Man of the Match.
Did you ever see Nani play for us or only towards the end of the time here when he was blighted by injuries.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was here 7 seasons. The fact he won POTY once doesn't prove he wasn't inconsistent. It just proves he had a good season. Lingard's never winning player of the year. Equally he's never putting in two consecutive performances that differ as dramatically as any two of Nani's were capable of.
It is worth noting that Nani's only consistent good run of form for us (where he was so good that he won our POTY and should have won the league POTY) also just happened to be the only season he was played on the right. In previous seasons and in latter seasons he was always played mostly on the left where he was never able to show consistency. It was arguably the single most annoying thing for me over the last few seasons of Fergie's reign - I think that is the biggest mistake he made. Forced Nani out of his better position to try to fit both he and Valencia in the same team, and it ended up meaning Nani simply wasn't consistent enough to rely on.

Scholesy

It is worth noting that Nani's only consistent good run of form for us (where he was so good that he won our POTY and should have won the league POTY) also just happened to be the only season he was played on the right. In previous seasons and in latter seasons he was always played mostly on the left where he was never able to show consistency. It was arguably the single most annoying thing for me over the last few seasons of Fergie's reign - I think that is the biggest mistake he made. Forced Nani out of his better position to try to fit both he and Valencia in the same team, and it ended up meaning Nani simply wasn't consistent enough to rely on.
I agree, Nani was immense on the right wing. SAF's biggest mistake was Pogba though

West Ham 0:2 Man Utd

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Every manager has an unfancied favourite it seems. Lingard is probably seen as the better defensive option to be fair, and this decision was probably decided before Saturday. Still, timing not great for Martial to be dropped.

SirScholes

Starting over Martial. Cmon Jesse, show us what you can do.
Needs a good game as martial has looked class recently, pretty sure
Every manager has an unfancied favourite it seems. Lingard is probably seen as the better defensive option to be fair, and this decision was probably decided before Saturday. Still, timing not great for Martial to be dropped.
Might be tactics, might of wanted mhiki left for some reason,

wr8_utd

:'(
I will never understand how he gets games ahead of Martial or Mata. He may go on to do something but he's an absolute joke.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Should not play beyond the 60th min. I'd take him off at half time, but I'd be really peeved off if he played more than 60 mins with Martial and Mata on the bench.

SirScholes

I will never understand how he gets games ahead of Martial or Mata. He may go on to do something but he's an absolute joke.
Mate have a read up and see some of posts of those saying he is "quality"
Not even talking about the open goal, he has no positional sense, Valencia has had the ball on a number of occasions and lingard has ran back and inside rather than over lap and make space.

Nick.

He has talent but not a footballing brain. Martial on at half time might help break down their defence

ottosec

He's a good player who has his moments, but he should never start when Mata, Martial or Rashford are available.

Shardal

As much as I would love to like this guy I just don't see enough of quality in his play. Short and rare moments of brilliance and then dross and brainless running with high work rate.

wr8_utd

:'(
Mate have a read up and see some of posts of those saying he is "quality"
Not even talking about the open goal, he has no positional sense, Valencia has had the ball on a number of occasions and lingard has ran back and inside rather than over lap and make space.
I genuinely don't understand what he does. If he wasn't homegrown, there's no way he'd get any support on here. Yes he makes some good runs but he's woeful as a winger. Can't take on his man, can't pass, can't shoot. It's just infurating. It's even more annoying that Mata and Martial don't play because of this fellow.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His style of play isn't suited to what the game has become. He doesn't have the space to make those runs in behind & he doesn't have the technical ability to do what Mata or Martial can do in tight spaces. Should be taken off.

Kag

He does himself no favours, at times. He's got a tap in and he misses. It's all very Jesse Lingard, unfortunately.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even as his fan I find the decision to start him over Mata and Martial ridiculous. He also pissed me off with that tackle just after the red card, you need to be stupid to do that straight after your team got an advantage.

NK86

Open goal missed. You could see he was embarrassed by it as he immediately looked towards the linesman hoping that he would have been flagged offside.

WyoManU

I just don't think he has what it takes to play at the highest level. He lacks instinct and awareness, which cannot be taught. Squad player at best.

NK86

Even as his fan I find the decision to start him over Mata and Martial ridiculous. He also pissed me off with that tackle just after the red card, you need to be stupid to do that straight after your team got an advantage.
Exactly. That lunge straight after the opposition got a slightly controversial red was plain stupid. How thick do you need to be to do that and give the ref an opportunity to make a decision to even things out.

drdoityourself

His first instinct is the backward pass. Has given up some good positions, good positions that were rare in that half.

SirScholes

I genuinely don't understand what he does. If he wasn't homegrown, there's no way he'd get any support on here. Yes he makes some good runs but he's woeful as a winger. Can't take on his man, can't pass, can't shoot. It's just infurating. It's even more annoying that Mata and Martial don't play because of this fellow.
His fans will say he works hard for the team.
Boils my piss as well mate, I get keep him as a squadie as there is more important areas to address than back up wingers.
But when he starts ahead of martial who had his game of the season a couple days ago, raging

Sylar

Bad miss, terrible half. All he had to do was keep the width and stretch West Ham. But he kept going inside into a packed area and wasnt doing much with the ball. Not intelligent at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.